Red Racer Maple Bacon Breakfast Ale - Central City Brewing

No picture uploaded.

Central City Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Rutager on 06-05-2014)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

CWVegas, Jul 28, 2014
1.76/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

"A Jeff O'Niel show exclusive" is the first thing that turned me off about this beer. This guy (local radio host) has always reminded me of someone's dad trying way too hard to be cool. Anyways, I'm a big Central City fanboy so I'll keep outside influence aside for this beer review.

Appearance. Pours a rather boring amber with a thin head. Already hearing a "wamp-waaa" sound in my head.

Smell. When I was young, my mom bought some maple extract for some baking or whatever. It was a glass vial with a leaky metal top with dried black drips of this extract down the side. The thing fucking stunk of fake maple and made the fucking cupboard smell of it for the years it was in there. This is exactly what I'm getting from this beer along with a just touch of smoke.

Taste. Sweet maple and caramel, some smokey (kinda bacon like) sweet malts and not a lot else. It's not overly sweet or anything in general, just sweet flavours ...if that makes any sense. In any case, pretty undrinkable.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium carbonation. I'll give it a mediocre score here.

Overall. As nasty as the show, how fitting. Sorry CC, I was hoping you would make this drinkable but it's pretty much a gimmick.

Rutager, Jun 05, 2014
3.59/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I pleaded my brother to send me this one, even though I read mediocre reviews... Novelty or not, I still really wanted to give it a go...

A - Pours a pale amber colour, thin layer of head with little retention and no lacing.

S - Maple syrop, hints of toffee and caramel, and hickory smoke. It does actually remind me of the scent of cooked maple bacon on a weekend morning.

T - Mild maple flavours, smoked malts, bready flavours, brown sugar notes, candied corn, and toffee and caramel linger on the finish with a touch of smoke.

M - Thin, watery and surprisingly dry.

O - IMO they achieved a flavour profile that fits the bill without being overly offensive. Not necessarily a sessionable ale, it's certainly worth a try and fits the novelty factor. Admittedly, I really like smoked beers, I would say more so than the average person, so adding a hint of maple really complemented the flavour profile nicely. I would expect some pretty mixed reviews on this one.

andrenaline, Jun 28, 2014
Red Racer Maple Bacon Breakfast Ale from Central City Brewing
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.