Red Racer Classic Pale Ale - Central City Brewing

Central City Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-24-2008

Hand-crafted using Mariss Otter barley from England and hops from Washington’s Yakima valley. This big bold pale ale has a citrus aroma and a full malt body giving it a distinctive character designed to inspire the beer connoisseur in all of us.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 191 | Reviews: 115
2.43/5  rDev -36.2%

A surprise extra courtesy of a truly world-class BA, mymrnngjckt. Thanks Kevin!

Appearance: Poured from the can into my Shorts pint glass, the beer is is clear, vibrant light gold color with a massive, foamy 2 inches worth of head. The retention is pretty good, and I can see thick chunks of lacing clinging to the sides of the glass. Lookin good.

Smell: A bit hoppier than what I expected, but that certainly isn't a bad thing. Some sweet citrusy grapefruit, the result of a fairly balanced mix of the hops and a nice malt backbone.

Taste: I guess I kind of got my hopes up with the hops in the nose...there's really no hop presence here. The beer is a mix of malt and bland, not that great.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery, lacking carbonation (surprising given the head after the initial pour).

Drinkability: Well the beer started off good, but it took a turn for the worse pretty quick. Gotta say I'm not that impressed with this brew. I'd pass on this one.

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

2.79/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. UPDATE can reading of M2509 is WAY OLD! I will re-review this in the future for sure when I can.

A pale and muddy orange light amber body, with a good thick white head, three fingers deep, with a good cap and retention. Some sticky qualities in the head but a rather hazy and muddy appearance.

Nose is full of movie theater diacetyl popcorn. I smell nothing else going on here. I kind of want to get some salt and spread this, but still not feeling it. I would like something else, but sorry as much as this isn't really off putting you should deliver something else for my senses.

Taste is much improved, but hardly anything to brag about. Orange fruit somewhat, with a light body palate with some wet like juice quality. However, the body is quite thin with hardly a malt backbone to carry anything forward. Hop angle, non existent.

Overall, really loved the IPA Central City, but this is not getting it done at all. In short a wet buttery forgetful mess.

2.85/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

No date info on the bottom of the can...though there normally is...odd... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear pale-ish brass topped by plenty of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises dry pine needles, dusty toffee, and mild biscuit. Separately, those wouldn't be all that great, but, somehow, together, everything works out decently enough. The taste holds notes of depressed pine needles, light mint, light menthol, and a touch of watered-down tea. Man, this just doesn't taste all that good to me... The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly oily feel. Overall, I hope this is just an old can (impossible for me to tell...), but, if it's not, this stuff just ain't very good at all.

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

Can courtesy of drabmuh from BA.

Pours a slightly hazy orange color with a nice 1 finger head of tiny tight packed white bubbles.

Not nearly as aromatic as the IPA, the Pale Ale has some floral type notes along with malt.

The taste on this is kind of a disappointment compared to the IPA as well, I mean what happened? This beer just kind of comes out flat as in the hop flavor is somewhat lost as is the malt backbone. Slight sweetness up front followed by minimal bitterness from the hops. Has an odd off taste as well. Medium mouthfeel.

Overall, not the best example of an APA. I'd go with their IPA anytime though.

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%

Grabbed a six pack of this at Julios.

A: Hazy golden color with a finger of white head. A nice amount of spider like lacing. Just a touch of visible carbonation.

S: Not the best nose on this beer. A little bit earthy. You get malt but nothing clear. Quite a tight nose and what comes through is not wholly pleasant.

T: Just like the nose. A little bit of citrus gets through but that is about it. It just tastes like a day on the river tubing.

M: Fairly full bodied for the style. Carbonation is good.

D: I liked their IPA quite a bit but this really fell short. No real hop bite and no real malt taste either. This was a miss for me.

3.04/5  rDev -20.2%

Beer labeled as "Red Betty Pale Ale"
Poured from a 12oz can into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Gold with 2 fingers of fluffy, white head. Moderate carbonation with good clarity and good retention.

Nose
Toffee, butterscotch, honey, grapefruit, lemon and pineapple.

Taste
Very malt forward with caramel and biscuit as well as touches of toffee and honey. Grapefruit pith, lemon and touches of pine round out the hop bill.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, smooth and refreshing.

Overall
The hops are really restrained in this APA. Very malty and heading into ESB territory. I'm not terribly into this one, however it is very easy drinking.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

Can, new to the LC dated J1310 (Oct. 13/2010) poured into a tulip.

Looks nice, although a touch paler than I had expected (until I read it was made from Maris Otter, and therefore likely no crystal in the grain bill). Good head, wonderful lacing. The aroma was strong of citrusy hops... This is good.

Now is the point where I am let down. I don't know what it is, but I am expecting a hop forward pale here (if you have had their IPA you would know why). Instead I get a thin and watery body that has a piney / earthiness to it without any strong citrus hop flavours. I gave it to my wife, and she thought it OK, but I drank the pour and it never really got better to me... The mouthfeel is really hindered by a thin body, when I was expecting a malty beer...

Not a beer I will go back for (unlike when the IPA was around...)

3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

After being blown away by the Red Racer IPA I am definitely looking forward to trying this beer. Nice pour, smallish white head but thick, and a nice light amber hue, crystal clear like the IPA. Nice hoppy aroma, kind of reminds me of DF60 Min, wonder what hops they are using here. It might just be an odd whiff I'm getting here, but I am getting a slightly off-putting smell of canned tuna. Hm. Hope I have a fresh sample here. At first sip this beer is more malty than hinted at by the hoppy aroma. English style malt profile, only slight bittering hops present actually, more citrusy in aroma. Toasty and buttery. Nice rich texture. A tasty beer, just no defining characteristics. A little of this, a little of that... not a lot of anything special. Still, a solid beer.

3.17/5  rDev -16.8%

Dated:
From: Premier Wine & Spirits, 355 ml

A: Clear golden body with one finger of white head. Head dissipated rather quickly and leaves little lacing.

S: Faint notes of grassy hops and some citrus fruits.

T: Weak notes of grassy hops and citrus fruits. Just like the aroma, weak and thin.

M: Light bodied with low carbonation. Water like texture, grassy bitter finish. Feels like it's gone 'flat'.

D: Not a great fan of the brew. I expected much more.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

12oz can, served in a modified pint glass

A - pours with about a quarter inch of loose, sudsy white foam which settles to a thin film rather quickly. the beer is slightly hazy, dirty golden in color.

S - some mild, biscuity malts, kissed with honey. just a touch of some citrus and pine in the hops. not bad if not slightly muddled.

T - begins fairly malty, some bread dough, honey, and caramel. hops are present, mostly grass with a touch of grapefruit...though this beer is mostly sweet. biggest letdown here is a good bit of sulfur near the end, reminding me of a homebrew experiment gone bad.

M - light body, with bright crispy carbonation. pretty dry in the finish.

O - taste just wasnt there for me, and the sulfur just took over more and more as the drink went on. this was a let down since the Red Racer IPA was on point.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

A 12 oz can from Al's of Hampden.

A: The APA has a head on it! The first pour generated over three fingers of craggy, mountainous foam that laces all around the glass. Underneath the wondrous foam, golden amber ale sits. Translucent the ale is. The second pour was much more restrained than the first.

S: The nose is plenty biscuity with a nice streak of herbal citrus running through it. The hops stand out more than I was expecting.

T: The biscuity bread stands out, sweet with a grainy cookie flavor. Hops linger around, but not with the force that the nose indicates. The sweet biscuity flavors run rampant, by far the dominating aspect of the beer.

M: The mouthfeel seems to miss for me, focusing on the biscuity flavors at the expense of the hops. This is my second downer; sure hope that the IPA lives up to the hype.

D: An average pale ale. Not my first choice but not my last.

3.2/5  rDev -16%

bottom of can stamped I2110 - probably means canned September 21, 2010?

a clear golden color with orange hues. bone-white head.

grassy hop aroma. the taste has a hop bite, not much balance though. tastes a little stale.

higher carbonation, thinner body.

non-discript, although I think it tastes more like a pilsner than a pale ale. wouldn't necessarily seek it out again.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Red Racer Classic Pale Ale from Central City Brewing