Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewing

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I first had this in Van on draft. I decided to give it a go as it was a special of the night. I had one and drank it all night. It is aggressive but has an addictive hop quality. If you are in the mood for an IPA where the hop barrels over the malt this is for you.

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

Serving Type: 500 mL Can

My first West coast brewed "West Coast" style IPA

A- Light Amber topped by a thick 2 finger head. Head retention is excellent and there is lots of lacing in the glass.

S- Notes of Pine pitch (resin) immediately hit me. Nice and strong. Citrus notes of grapefruit and airy floral notes. Clean aroma with no alcohol notes despite a relatively high abv.

T- Aroma ties in well to the taste but with a little more emphasis on the citrus notes. Pine taste is still quite prominent. Beautiful taste with incredible hop characteristics. I've never experienced anything quite like it.

M- Wicked body on this beer. Nice and thick but not chewy. Medium carbonation that works very well here. Crisp and dry.

O- Wow... Where do I begin. This IPA is mind blowing. Easily the best i've had so far. The aroma and taste are incredible and like I said, a completely new experience for me. I don't think I could've enjoyed this brew anymore. I highly recommend this beer. Absolutely incredible. Just writing about it makes my mouth water...

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A brilliant blast of hops!
The grapefruit flavor comes through more in this IPA than any I've tried yet.
A BC beauty!!

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wooo.. very good beer. Can see why they drank this during the war though, very filling for myself. Slows you down on those thirsty nights. would highly recommend along with their regular pale ale which is outstanding on tap

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Why did I wait so long to try this? It's pretty much everything I could ask for from an IPA. Lots of melon and pine.

(I still think I prefer Fat Tug.)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

4.26/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served on-tap in a Shaker pint at The Wood Restaurant (Canmore, AB).

A: Pleasing light honey-amber (not red) with 1/2-finger of light beige tightly bubbled head with good retention and a shade of intricate lacing at the top of the glass.

S: Big, bright grapefruit, pine resin, dank-musky, fruity, and floral aromas with a light-medium caramel note and clean ester and alcohol free profile. Very fresh aroma all the way around.

T: The aroma profile transfers elegantly to the flavor with a great mix of musky, dankness, pine resin, and graepfruit-passionfruit-pineapple fruitiness in the hopping. The name fools you because this is not a red IPA - it is a full blooded West Coast American IPA with a clean, slightly bready maltiness that provides a slight grainy edge which really works with the heavyweight hopping. Clean with no yeast or alcohol character -- really a well-formulated and crafted brew.

M: Clean and dry with light-medium body and moderate carbonation. Very drinkable -- could have easily had 2-3 imperial pints of this brew.

O: I was really glad to have the chance to have this brew -- I had not read about it at all, but if I had I would have sought it out. I feel fortunate at it is a pure pleasure to drink with big hoppy aroma and flavor laid down on a superb malt backbone -- a bit of flavor but mostly a supporting structure for some fresh hopping, some of the freshest I have had, with a dry finish. It reminds me a lot of a Pliny Jr. to be honest. Really an exceptional beer.

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

4.44/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

1.12/5  rDev -73.6%

I enjoy IPAs but found this one appalling. Would not recommend.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

2.56/5  rDev -39.8%

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%

Delicious IPA but not quite fat tug!

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewing