Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.
Reviews: 459 | Hads: 1,002
Reviews by jlindros:
4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Lost this review in one of the crashes, but found again thanks to Google cache.

Another great looking beer from a can. Can't wait to give this a try and see how it is. It just showed up for the first time at my store, so it should be pretty fresh. Poured into my oversized DFH snifter.

A: A large 2 finger thick but large bubble head slowly dissolves, very slowly, leaving a nice lacing. It's very clear toasted auburn brown and orange color that's still pretty light in color. The head really does show no signs of disappearing.

N: Wow, a big hop aroma hits you with this, as I hoped. Lots of heavy pine and citrus on this baby. I get a really fresh hop oil aroma that really makes me feel like I'm crushing fresh hops in my hands. Nice citrus, lots of grapefruit and tropical fruit aromas. I don't get much else on the aroma except lots of fresh earthy juicy hops and, well, nothing else.

T: I'm getting excited in anticipation for the first sip that we may have another really awesome IPA at my finger tips. And the sip is really interesting, but definitely delivers. It's not as traditional hop taste with ridiculous bitterness, it actually starts with, well, fresh hop taste. I really get the taste like I'm chewing on a fresh hop, not even pellets. I get a very piney hop oil and some citrus, as well as grapefruit and tropical fruit overall. No malt character at all and not much for bitterness up front. A nice juicy hop character starts to emerge after a few sips with a slight grapefruit and tropical fruit taste. A touch of sweetness up front also helps.

M: Sticky and oily like the hop oils. Pretty good carbonation to go with it.

F: Here is the bitterness. It's not overbearing with the bitterness, but just right I think. It finishes pretty dry but doesn't rip the water right from the cells in your mouth as some do. I still have a fresh hop taste in my mouth like I just finished chewing on a hop flower right off the vine. I feel like I should be out on the harvest while drinking this delicious concoction. Then, surprisingly, the bitterness and hop flavors just disappear. My mouth is ready and awaiting for the next taste or endeavor. That is, until I swallow again and the salivary glands seem to excrete more hops, I think this has just absorbed into my blood and my body is sweating it out.

Final thoughts: A great fresh hop taste IPA. I really can only describe it as biting on a fresh hop flower. It's gone some piney and slight citrus/tropical hop juice and lots of hop oil. No malt character. I can only describe the beer as a transport method for getting the fresh hop flowers from the vine to my taste buds and into my blood stream. I might have enjoyed a slight malt character with it, but this is a west coast style. I also love that it comes in a can. Tasty crack cans! Can't wait to try their other beers in their lineup. (2,861 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

473ml can poured into a standard craft beer glass(Not a shaker pint)

A: Light amber almost gold in color. A fine thick head adorns the crown of this IPA, leaving beautiful lacing that stays with a tenacity which I previously reserved only for 3rd world street vendors.

S: Upon dipping my nose near the glass I immediately recoiled back in shock and looked around me. The notes of Pine so strong I was convinced utterly I had suddenly awoken In a grove of towering evergreens. Finally convinced I was still in my house I tried to delve deeper into the aroma. Gentle notes of citrus showed them selves the more I looked, lingering into a delightful floral finish.

T: Not Bad

M: Just thick enough to linger upon your tongue as you sip yet not so thick that it becomes an unpleasant experience. It dances and swirls about leaving a fine, crisp and refreshing feeling finish in your mouth begging for the next tantalizing taste. So much so that I am actually on my 7th one as I write this review.

Summary: Would buy again. (1,026 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I first had this in Van on draft. I decided to give it a go as it was a special of the night. I had one and drank it all night. It is aggressive but has an addictive hop quality. If you are in the mood for an IPA where the hop barrels over the malt this is for you. (268 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -58.5%

This was easily one of the top IPA in the entire world. It was bold, aromatic and had a beautiful colour. It was also my favourite. Easily a 5 in every category.

They updated the can artwork, started filtering it and who knows what else. The bold citrussy hops are gone, it's bitter, and it's unbelievably average.

The original was a work of love, this new stuff is a work of profit. (386 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #52 (May 2011):

Canned craft from Canada. With the crack of the can, the hops permeate the nose with grapefruit rind, cedar, orange zest, musk, sweet pipe tobacco and some evergreen sap. Clear brassy look going on. Creamy, fluffy medium body pops with a bit of crispness. Hops jump on the taste buds like white on rice, and they are quite aggressive as well, with a high-reaching bitterness and citric rind flavor that gets right to the point. Peach and passionfruit ripeness with some dry toasted maltiness. Bitterness and hop flavor keeps on raking the palate far into the aftertaste. This no-nonsense IPA is hardcore, clean and drinkable. (682 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

More beer in a can, sweet! Pours into my glass a golden orange with great clarity and a quarter inch of bubbly head on top. Aromas start off with a good deal of piney resinous hops along with an earthy, caramel malt backbone. Spice and a touch of citrus work in as well.

First sip brings a solid mix of caramel malts along with resinous pine hops. Mellow sweetness throughout along with an earthy citrus-spice as it flows down. Good bitterness on the finish that balances out the malt sweetness. Solid IPA.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Good carbonation this is a brew that goes down easy. Glad we are able to get this in Chicagoland now as it's always nice to have a solid IPA in cans for beach going and anywhere bottles aren't welcome! (750 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Tully's in Wells just started carrying this and the Pale Ale. I liked this IPA a lot, so will definitely be getting the Pale Ale. In a pint glass it was a golden color with a thick wghite head. The head dissipated quickly, leaving some nice lacing. It had a citrus arom, and just a hint of flowers. Grapefruit taste, little bit of resiny pine, with a nice malt background. Not a hop bomb, still on the assertive side. Good Beer. (428 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

The beer is golden very transparent head forms and resides the edge

The aroma is sweet piny and citrus hops loaded. There is a slight earthiness in the finish

This beer starts smooth with a building carbonation the taste starts dry and moves to a citrus grapefruit the body is light all hops not a hint of malt until just before an earthy hops finishes with a lingering bitter. Very nice (390 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this beer.

The beer pours a clear orange color with a white head. The aroma is a mixture of catty hops and orange citrus. The flavor is a little bit different. I get some resiny hops as well as some orange citrus and pine notes. The bitterness level is about medium. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (337 characters)

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers