Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewing

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 962 | Reviews: 463
4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

a-pours a nice orangy amber with a nice head.

s-Piney...citrus notes...very slight maltiness.

t-Dominated by hops...almost no malts coming through. The smell promises more sweetness than what is delivered.

m-thicker...in keeping with a 6.5 abv

o-great beer...I love it and will def go back to get more.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Purchased at the LCBO 473ml can for $2.50. Served at 6deg C in a tall glass.

A- Very good. Unfiltered. Excellent 1" head that tapers out to film after a couple of minutes

S- Excellent. Hints of cascade hop, grapefruit and yeast

T- Excellent. Very good bite on the tongue for a simple IPA. Not too bitter or hoppy.

O- Excellent! Will buy again now that it's a very reasonable price

Food Pairing

This wonderful small IPA paired well with... Egg salad sandwiches!

Enjoy

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 355 ml can into a pint glass.

A: a lovely copper/gold hue with a two finger head that dissipates quickly but leaves decent lacing.

S: a fantastic mix of pines and citrus with just a hint of malts.

T: citrus and pines come forward with the bitterness of this and the malts are there again.

M: medium carbonation, fairly light body, dry finish

O: an admitted IPA-phobe mere months ago, this beer is one of a few that changed my opinion. This beer is fantastically crisp, easy drinking and full of flavour. Generally beer of this quality costs a bit more...but at just over $2 a can, I will certainly have a few in the waiting all summer long.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

I'm pretty excited to try this beer. It's been around for a while in my neck of the woods, and I've overlooked it until now. I don't know why... I like canned beers, I love IPAs, but for some reason this one never appealed to me until I heard a bunch of hubbub. Let's see how it stacks up...

Nice even pour out of the can, crystal clear and almost fizzy with bubbles, bright and brassy. The aroma is deep into hop territory - definite grapefruit rind (yes!) and other citrus, almost a hint of cilantro. A good sign. And yes, it tastes delicious. Citrus hop profile, nice and bitter but not as biting or brash as I had expected. Lots of grapefruit, resiny, oily, real tasty. Malt is hiding somewhere. As nice as the hoppy feel good flavor is, I'm almost more impressed with the texture of this beer. It's just so dang light on the palate, airy and joyously quaffable. Not that it lacks body, and some IPAs are great with a chewy mouthfeel, but this is almost like an uber-hopped pale ale or something. Crisp like a lager, and like I said it's crystal clear. I'd love to try an unfiltered version (?) of this sometime to see the difference.

A totally awesome IPA. Would drink again. And again.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Pours a cloudy and hazy golden yellowish-orange with a 2-finger white head that last a little while. Nice sticky lace.

S- Lemon and orange zest up front, grapefruit, pineapple, and maybe some mango.

T- Lemon and orange zest again, more grapefruit and pineapple.

MF- Medium body on this one. Lighter on the carbonation then it originally looked.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Red Racer IPA is slowly becoming noticed among beer geeks in both Canada and the US, and for good reason. I was lucky enough to try this growing giant at the source itself in Surrey, BC. On to the beer:

It's orange in color, and there are some strings of lacing sticking around in the glass. There's a healthy amount of fresh pine in the aroma which excites the beer drinker for what's next.

Red Racer IPA is filled with hops. clean, crisp hops! It's only a little bitter, which is nice. Floral notes exists too. The malt is crackery/biscuity. It's also a little sweet, which the best I can describe is like fruit infused hops with a sprinkle of sugar. It's very smooth in the mouth, and is a pleasure to drink.

Red Racer IPA lives up to the hype. A delicious beer that any any hophead would be a fool to turn down. The crazy thing is this wasn't the best IPA I tasted at Central City Brewing during my visit; you'll need to read my Double IPA review from that same brewery.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A-Pours a clear copper golden with a nice off white head and a little bit of lacing.

S-A wonderful citrus and pine hoppiness with a bit of sweet malt underneath. A great aroma!

T-Citrus hops and sweet malt in a very nice balance. Tatsy.

M-Medium bodied, crisp and a bit dry.

D-Excellent. Not sure how a beer from Vancouver wound up at Julio's in MA, but I am sure glad it did!

HV

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A light copper colour with a huge white head, that lingers and laces down the glass. The nose brings lots of citrus notes with hints of ginger. The taste is all hops, it starts out cirtrusy then ends with resiny bitterness on the back of the pallet, with just enough malt to balance it out. A crisp easy drinking beer, I'm no hop head, but I find this quite enjoyable.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

We recently got this beer and it's Pale Ale buddy in my store for the great price of 16 dollars for a six-pack. Even for Canada, that's a lot. I was intrigued however, that this had a 95 on beer advocate - the highest rating of and Canadian craft beer we have at my store save for La Fin Du Monde. I love to try new stuff, and this is hard to resist.

It pours a brilliant orange colour - a little more attractive than some other IPAs I've had - which is a tall order. The aroma is rich in grapefruit and hops. Grapefruit is a natural pairing for beer, and whether or not some was added to the beer, it's extremely palatable. The taste is powerfully hoppy, which seriously makes me wonder how hoppy their imperial IPA must be. Pity we can't get it in. There is a ton of texture on my tongue, and the aftertaste is strong and citrusy. This is really a beer for hop heads. I love me an IPA and even I find this a wee bit strong. Still, it's an extremely good beer and I await the rest of the 6-pack.

12oz. can on 3/5/10.

A - Emerged from the aluminum as a clear amber/orange body with almost two fingers of frothy beige foam that retained quite well and yielded thick swatches of lacing.

S - A pungent hop bouquet of pine and citrus with hints of herbal notes happliy coexists with a sweet caramel malt foundation to create a wonderfully aromatic IPA nose.

T - Lots of hops in here with primarily citrus and piney attributes, but also herbal and perfumy notes as well. The caramel malt backbone provides a sweet balance to the fairly aggressive hop character. The citrus presence really becomes more apparent as the liquid warmed up a bit. Finishes with a moderate hop bite.

M - Medium bodied with a slick, oily texture and lively carbonation, resulting in a pretty crisp mouthfeel. Finishes with lingering bitterness on the palate.

D - IPA from a can. Why aren't there more of them around? Them Canucks can make a good IPA, eh?

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to zoso1967 for this tasty treat.

Pours yellow orange with a lovely white foam head 1 finger thick. The brew is clear showing off all of its carbonation. Lacing is very good leaving thick blobs above the liquid level.

Lots of orange citrus comes through in the scent. Ample malts back the citrus smells providing a muted balanced smell.

There is plenty of orange and grapefruit up front with a large malt backbone covering up a lot of the bitterness. The balance is superb.

Rich and creamy in the mouth with a full feel. The aftertaste is clean and is not too drying. It leaves my mouth feeling very satisfied.

This is a very drinkable brew worthy of high praise in its class. Definitely worth a try!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to my boy JayAre46 for a couple of cans of this treat from the great white north

A: I should give the appearance a 5 just because the can is so AWESOME!. It poured a beautiful crisp orange with 2 fingers of foamy white head. The head stuck around for a good while and left nice traces of lacing

S: holy pine hops! Stings the nostrils like catching a whiff of Sex Panther! Great pine hop backbone with some great citrus notes in the back. Getting some orange, lemon and grapefruit

T: The taste follows the nose to the T son but with some nice bread like qualities and a little bit of caramel to balance out the hops runnin wild on my tongue

M: Medium bodied, clean and crisp. Drying hop aftertaste that coats the entire inside of your mouth and lingers. I wish that there was someone here who I didn't like so I could just go breathe in their face and set it on fire with my hop breath. Very nice

O: Overall this was a great IPA. No wonder Terance and Phillip were so funny... they were drunk off of this stuff.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can from the MLCC in Winnipeg. Additions based on further samples.

A - Amber/orange colour. Thick head, slightly darker than a white. Lot's of carbonation. Good lace rings and half finger of retention.

S - Great pine as soon as poured. Really strong aroma. Some maltiness in there too but it's fainter than the hops. Toffee, citrus, pineapple.

T - Huge piney hop character. Lot's of citrus. Pine character is strong. Nice.

M - Good bitterness. Medium body. Carbonation is really noticable and it coats the entire mouth.

D - Quite a nice IPA. Really drinkable and tons of great hop flavour with a nice bitterness. Well done.

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

Found a sixer of this at Wine Gallery in Brookline. Poured into a stein.

A - Pours a transparent dark orange color, with lots of tiny bubbles rising upwards, and a big three-fingered frothy off-white foam that dissipates slowly and leaves thin, soapy, patterns of lace.

S - This still smells fairly fresh (probably two months), with soapy Cascade, some sweet peachy Simcoe, and perhaps some Warrior. There is some nice toffee malt character, and this seems far more like a hoppy East Coast brew then the unbalanced palate wreckers from California.

T - Some nice sweet fuzzy peach and tangerine flavor, with a decent amount of residual bitterness and sour lemon flavor in the finish. The malt is much less present here, with the sweetness being supplied by the juiciness of C-hop varietals.

M - This is a super oily one - I can still feel the resinous hop textures long after swallowing. Nice dry fnish, soft medium body, with perfect light tingly carbonation. It's exactly what I like in my IPAs.

D - Very drinkable stuff - should have no problem killing a sixer with a buddy while watching football. Definitely the best Canadian IPA I've ever had, and competitive with my local options. Hope we start getting the cans in Chicago.

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz can (thanks Thorpe429!) into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear, bright reddish-amber with a moderate column of carbonation leading up to a 3/4" head of fine tan foam; average retention and a good amount of spotty lace. Great looking beer, and just the color I like from an IPA.

S: Fresh hoppy aroma is mainly floral and piney, with just a hint of caramel malt backing it up. Pleasant and straightforward, but not particularly deep or complex.

T: Terrific, zesty explosion of hops up front - hugely floral, with some pine and citrus as well - followed by some pretty dry, almost biscuity malt before the intensely bitter finish. It's breathtaking right up until a bit of astringency creeps in on the aftertaste, but this is a pretty minor quibble. Delicious IPA.

M: The body is a bit on the light side of medium, with soft, moderate carbonation. Pretty good.

D: The overly bitter aftertaste continues to bother me, but this beer is tasty enough to transcend such complaints. I could easily and gladly drink more of these.

Notes: I've been wanting to try this one for a while, and lo and behold Thorpe429 hooked me up with a can as an extra. Unlike the UPS driver who broke the growlers I sent him, this beer did not disappoint. It was fun to try a West Coast IPA that wasn't from CA. Good stuff.

Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pretty damn good ipa, had several this year that remind me of my favorite celebration, including this one. picked up 3 singles for $6 whole foods devon pa, good call.

pours nice brassy amber, good head, retension, lace. smells just ok, little citrus, some piney hops. tastes better, big citrus, piney, earthy herbal hop blast on a nice malt background. said this alot lately, balanced and very drinkable. then again, with the exception of port high tide, this is exactly how i like my ipas, balanced.

just for kicks ill list (by preference) this years ipas similar to celebration (but not quite as good) ...

central city red racer 4.28
thomas hooker hop meadow 4.13
sierra nevada torpedo 3.90
sly fox route 113 ipa 3.90

if you enjoy celebration, you cant go wrong with any of these 4 ipas.

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just couldn't pass up this cute little can of beer, and now I'm glad I didn't.

It pours a hazy deep amber body beneath a short head of white foam. The head drops steadily, but it continually maintains a creamy collar along the rim; and it leaves nice splashes and small patches of spotty lace about the glass as it goes.

The nose is really hoppy, loaded with Cascade! Pineapple, grapefruit, orange peel, resins! I also pick up some apple-like fruitiness, some bready/biscuity malt, a hint of dried pine or spruce, some floral character, and a bit of leafiness as well (I'm not sure whether that's coming from the hops, or perhaps a combination of the malt and hops).

In the mouth it's medium bodied and gently crisp. It seems to be 'can conditioned', but I'm not sure. The bubbles are certainly quite fine.

The flavor delivers a really nicely balanced combination of caramelish malt and citrusy and softly piney hops. The pineapple character of the Cascades is brightened a bit by the apple-like yeasty fruitiness; and that seems well threaded throughout the maltiness. It's really well-combined and balanced. Quite often with a beer like this you'll get a hit of hops followed by maltiness, a smack of bitterness, and then a dry hoppy finish - but this is much more focused and put together. There are more hops at the front, for sure, but the malt is still always there; and it finishes the same way except that the hops become much more leafy. There's also no harsh bump of bitterness to it, instead it just rises to its high point just before the swallow, and then gently drops down and recedes in the finish. Nicely done!

Overall, I quite enjoyed it. It reminds me of "real ale", and a hoppy one at that. If you enjoy hops it's really quite drinkable. Fresh and flavorful - well worth seeking out!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a pair of 341 ml cans from an LCBO I'd never been in for $2.45CDN. Was aware that this was considered a very good beer, but didn't realize how good until recently.

Appearance - Clear copper orange color head with a last finger of white head. Tons of effervescent bubbles.

Smell - Quite piney and earthy with some substantial lemon undertones. I can tell that this will be hoppy, and quite astringent just from the smell.

Mouthfeel - Piney, but has a malty sweetness that I find lacking from all but the best in this style. This shows up in the middle of the sip. Also and earthy taste and obviously quite bitter. The sweet undercurrent lingers and contrasts nicely with the bitterness. Surprisingly the hops are not overdone here, illustrating technique and control, so whilst providing a great hoppy IPA, there is great balance too.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and rich, high carbonation, palate scrubbing.

Overall - Definitely worth trying, and one of the best IPA's I've ever had. While I enjoy IPA's it's not my favorite style, but really appreciated the complexity and balance in this one. A must try.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a winner! I've enjoyed it in cans and bombers, my most recent encounter was on tap at a local pub. It was the special, and it really impressed me as a draft offering. Red Racer has nailed the combination of hops and malt to fine art. From first whiff to last mouthful, this is an incredibly enjoyable beer. There is plenty of malt backbone that is nicely accentuated by the pine/grapefruit hop notes. I have yet to meet a Red Racer I didn't like...

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewing