1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewing

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

(Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next › last »
Ratings: 802 | Reviews: 437 | Show All Ratings:
hopheadjuice

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

12 oz can for 11.99 a 6 pack.

Pours a beautiful amber copper color with a nice tight 1 finger head that holds amazing retention and webs down the sides of my glass.

Scents are highly appealing with strong grapefruit rind and pine resin, slight malty backbone. Probably the best smelling single IPA ive ever encountered.

Tastes reflect the nose with a HUGE blast of cirtusy grapefruit and other tropical fruit, pine and a dank unknown bitterness keeps this lingering for a while. Very small malt backbone that presents itself a little bisquity.

Perfect thick full-bodied ale with prickly carbonation that helps bring out all the super hoppy goodness this IPA has to offer.slightly dry finish that keeps you coming back for more.

Fantastic drinkability at 6.5%, i would drink this everyday for the rest of my life if it came down to it.

Easily the best single IPA ive had to date. Has the hoppy taste of a DIPA with the convenience of lower alcohol! A++

05-24-2010 15:19:27 | More by hopheadjuice
vespahulb

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Wow. This is the second time i've bought a 4-pack and it still delivers. As in most things in life, it's all about balance. When a beer such as this one achieves such a beautiful amalgamation of bitterness, body and flavor in perfect harmony, yet only boasts 6.5%, it's hard to forget.

In the nose, really bright and fresh, resiny pine, pithy grapefruit and a touch sweet and toasty malts.

In the mouth, all of the flavors in the nose follow through. First a staunch bitterness with a bit of pithy lemon and grapefruit, followed by a resinous mouthfeel. In the finish, the beer has great acidity that cleanses the palate and makes you want to drink more. The dude abides.

06-04-2011 04:42:37 | More by vespahulb
ChrisCorbin

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

This is my favorite brew, a ranking which I base on overall quality and availability. There may be better IPAs, but not ones on which I can consistently purchase. The crisp taste that lingers on the palate tastes of citrus and piney notes, and the there is no concept of diminishing returns with this beer, I find I can enjoy them all night.

04-17-2013 02:22:57 | More by ChrisCorbin
monkjuice

Ontario (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +15%

355mL can, poured into my Bell's pint glass. I usually smoke down copious amounts of Two Hearted from this pint glass. I love Two Hearted.

A: Really nice coppery-amber colour that pours with a 1cm head. The head dissipates to a white film on top, but light lacing persists the whole way down.

S: Smell is the most powerful sense attached to memory, and I'm definitely in two of my favourite places here. Back at my Grandpa's "winter" trailer in Central Florida, somewhere near a citrus grove. And about 50 yards left of the 11th fairway at some random golf course in the Carolinas, hitting a chip-out 7-iron off of the pine needles. I fuckin' love beer.

T: Exactly what I want in an IPA. The hops are the star of the show, with great bittering, flavour, and aroma characteristics coming through. Citrus zest and coniferous sap abound. The malt backbone is there, but only in the BACKground, as it should be.

M: Just the right amount of carbonation to wake up my tastebuds for the flavour "knee to the nuts" they're about to receive. Smooth.

D: Most good IPA's have me waking up in the morning feeling as though someone tried to asphyxiate me with a rag soaked in turpentine, especially if I have more than one. I smoked down five of these bad boys during a spirited game of euchre. Woke up at 7am, with no trace of Red Racer left behind. Bravo.

Note. I just had a Two Hearted after finishing a Red Racer, and I can honestly say that Red Racer is AT LEAST as good. At this level, we're comparing a Mercedes to a BMW. They're both great, both deserving of any praise they receive. If I had a gun to my head, and I had to choose a favourite, it'd be Red Racer, by a nose.

10-31-2010 23:05:54 | More by monkjuice
peterthepiper

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

I first had this beer on tap at the Alibi Room in Vancouver, but was overjoyed to find it soon released in cans under the Red Racer label.

This beer is a fantastic example of a West Coast IPA. The aroma is a pure expression of fresh Cascade hops. No other IPA that I've had comes that close to having that sort of aroma.

The taste is of course very hoppy as well. Lots of citrus peel bitterness with a touch of sweetness from the malt. The dominant characteristic of this beer though is the hoppy bitterness. Carbonation from the can is fairly high and dominates the mouthfeel. The beer coats the mouth a bit, leaving a bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability is phenomenal. For the bitterness of this beer, I could drink a large quantity.

09-14-2009 02:18:16 | More by peterthepiper
bladesgolf

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

I am just thankful that I can buy this beer in Massachussetts. I would probably never buy this beer from looking at it on a shelf mixed with bottled of IPAS and DIPAs, but Damn. This is the best tasting HOP bomb (I prefer it to Hopslam and Hop Stoopid). For some it maybe a sipper, but for me it is highly drinkable, and the flavor is bold and non-stop. I took a sip and went to read a story to my daughter and could still feel the citrus flavors followed by a ripe grapefruit finish in my mouth.
I may plan a trip to BC, Canada just to try this on tap/growler. This beer is truly a winner from for any Hop Hound.

11-15-2009 03:40:41 | More by bladesgolf
Phillyphilms

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

Well I must say I am still not a man free of prejudices. While living in California and become a self-proclaimed hophead, I found the idea of a Canadian IPA to be .. well lets say "odd".

Talk about looking like a fool. This VERY American IPA made in British Columbia is a show stopper and instantly made me happy.

A- Dark Golden Amber, Great head on pour and some decent lacing as well.

S- Hops, Grapefruit, Citurs and sweet. Delicious.

T- Delicious. Again a nice overage of hops but not overkill. Lots of citrus fruit and a lingering finish. A must have for any hophead and one of the best overall canned beers I have ever had. Amazing. I love it.

M- A little oily as expected from the high hops but finishes nicely leaving you wanting another sip.

D- If you are a fan of the style, this is epic. And in a can makes it a great go-to beer for a tailgate or bbq as I plan to do now that I have discovered it.

RESPECT BEER

05-27-2010 04:13:02 | More by Phillyphilms
H1N1

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

Picked up a growler from Central City. I've been waiting for this for a while. I'm not the biggest IPA fan, but here goes.

Poured this into a pint glass.

A- Like a golden honey colour. Got about a finger and a half of frothy head. Not bad retention and it holds on to the sides of the glass beautifully. Really nice looking.

S- Holy cow! It smells like I just had a pine tree shoved up my nose. I really didn't expect this. Hoppy and a touch of citrus. I would use this stuff as an air freshener if I could. I wanna smell it all day.

T- Tastes great. The pine is there, but in a good way. I wouldn't have thought that chewing a pine tree would taste good, but this is incredible. Its not overwhelming, but the taste really lingers. There is a citrusy taste that backs up the hops nicely. Very good.

M- Medium body. Definitely fuller than most IPAs I've tasted. Good carbonation that feels good passing over my tongue.

D- Very good. I'm very excited to live so close to the brewery, because this will hold a permanent place in my fridge. I usually don't like really hoppy beers, but this has won me over. Thank you Central City!!

Serving type: growler

08-18-2010 07:36:15 | More by H1N1
badandy

Ontario (Canada)

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Bright, brilliant copper. Medium head retention, nice lacing. A beautiful beer.

S: Grapefruit, sweet pine, hints of earthyness. Very intriguing and unique! 90% hops with a tiny bit of malt background. Glade needs to make a fragrance that resembles this!

T: It's like a pine tree and a grapefruit tree made sweet sweet love and this is their love child. Brilliant aroma hops perfectly balanced with just the right amount of bittering additions. Spot-fuckin-on!

M: Perfectly to style. Medium body with just enough character to make it stand up on its own.

This is one of my favourites! My goto beer at the LCBO.... wonderfully unique and bold, but I could put away 2 or 3 or these a night no problem. Don't pass this one up!

09-19-2012 01:19:16 | More by badandy
Photo of

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

I really enjoyed this beer as India Pale Ales tend to be my favorite style for its full bodied hop/pine/mango taste and smell, that lingers on the palette, noticeable from a mile away

Red Racer IPA fit this bill, it was impressive and pleasing to a true IPA enthusiast. A high quality India Pale Ale that was brewed with thought, and pure ingredients.

A- A rich deep golden color, with an exceptional head that ensures you are drinking real beer right from the beginning.

S- Heavy, strong hops/conifer trees/tropical fruits (mango & pineapple) notes that fill the air with a pleasant IPA aroma, that's sure to please the senses.

T- Right in line with the smell. Bold hops, pine resin, with mild sweet fruit notes, that combine to create an excellent bitter hops flavor that lingers and signifies you are enjoying a true beer.

M- Dry, smooth, crisp with a beautiful touch from the full bodied head that develops, very pleasing.

O- Definitely a winning representation of IPA, that will please anyone with a desire for IPA. Brewed properly, good ingredients, awesome can art. Stands up to any IPA variety. Try Red Racer its a quality beer.

03-20-2011 14:29:01 | More by
canucklehead

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

OMG this is the best IPA in BC. Bigger and more fragrant than Hophead or Phillips. Incredibly balanced and hoppy as all hell. This is the one I have been waiting for since I started drinking IPAs in BC. Utterly brilliant and also in a can for bonus points

04-10-2009 03:32:46 | More by canucklehead
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

I am sorry but this is easily, easily one of the best IPA's I have ever had. Hands down. Served cold and poured from a can into a pint glass to enjoy with my lunch today in between cleaning out the garage, this one was consumed on 11/08/2009.

The pour was just wonderful. Clear as day with a rich orange tinted amber color that held together very well. Nice two inches of head on top quicky settled down to a thin film which thoroughly coating the entire inside of the glass to the point nothing could be seen inside. The I lean in for a whiff. Holy citrus knockout. This thing is a cannon of hops. Rich orange and tangerine notes lined with loads of pineapple and grapefruit. This is just insanely fresh. Even warming does nothing to depart from the super fresh hops that are just owning my face right now. Intense is not even the right word for it. Crisp and clean taste offers more of the same, just intense and crisp, hop flavor all over the place. Pineapple and grapefruit dominate, clean dry finish with super sticky resin like flavors, not an ounce of balance here and none needed.

Overall this was a beast of an IPA, that dare I say I liked better then most anything I have had from this country lately. Hands down this is unreal. Please go find this and send me a case, I have found my house beer.

11-08-2009 18:50:20 | More by mikesgroove