Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 985 | Reviews: 468
4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Lost this review in one of the crashes, but found again thanks to Google cache.

Another great looking beer from a can. Can't wait to give this a try and see how it is. It just showed up for the first time at my store, so it should be pretty fresh. Poured into my oversized DFH snifter.

A: A large 2 finger thick but large bubble head slowly dissolves, very slowly, leaving a nice lacing. It's very clear toasted auburn brown and orange color that's still pretty light in color. The head really does show no signs of disappearing.

N: Wow, a big hop aroma hits you with this, as I hoped. Lots of heavy pine and citrus on this baby. I get a really fresh hop oil aroma that really makes me feel like I'm crushing fresh hops in my hands. Nice citrus, lots of grapefruit and tropical fruit aromas. I don't get much else on the aroma except lots of fresh earthy juicy hops and, well, nothing else.

T: I'm getting excited in anticipation for the first sip that we may have another really awesome IPA at my finger tips. And the sip is really interesting, but definitely delivers. It's not as traditional hop taste with ridiculous bitterness, it actually starts with, well, fresh hop taste. I really get the taste like I'm chewing on a fresh hop, not even pellets. I get a very piney hop oil and some citrus, as well as grapefruit and tropical fruit overall. No malt character at all and not much for bitterness up front. A nice juicy hop character starts to emerge after a few sips with a slight grapefruit and tropical fruit taste. A touch of sweetness up front also helps.

M: Sticky and oily like the hop oils. Pretty good carbonation to go with it.

F: Here is the bitterness. It's not overbearing with the bitterness, but just right I think. It finishes pretty dry but doesn't rip the water right from the cells in your mouth as some do. I still have a fresh hop taste in my mouth like I just finished chewing on a hop flower right off the vine. I feel like I should be out on the harvest while drinking this delicious concoction. Then, surprisingly, the bitterness and hop flavors just disappear. My mouth is ready and awaiting for the next taste or endeavor. That is, until I swallow again and the salivary glands seem to excrete more hops, I think this has just absorbed into my blood and my body is sweating it out.

Final thoughts: A great fresh hop taste IPA. I really can only describe it as biting on a fresh hop flower. It's gone some piney and slight citrus/tropical hop juice and lots of hop oil. No malt character. I can only describe the beer as a transport method for getting the fresh hop flowers from the vine to my taste buds and into my blood stream. I might have enjoyed a slight malt character with it, but this is a west coast style. I also love that it comes in a can. Tasty crack cans! Can't wait to try their other beers in their lineup.

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Great cloudy appearance. Nearly apple jelly-like in colour... kind of a mix of pumpkin, honey, and amber. The head is foamy and creamy, and left lots of lacing, right from the very rim of the glass to the very bottom.

Wow... the smell! I didn't expect that from this little can. Way better than expected. It's very hoppy / floral / fruity... very reminiscent of Hop Stoopid.

This could be the best beer I've ever had from a can. It tastes very much like it smells... some juniper / pine, grapefruit, and a bit of lemon. There is a slight pepper (or spice/grain) taste in its bitter finish.

Great mouthfeel. There's an airiness on the exhale... the back of your throat opens up. Carbonation is just right, and not sharp when held in the mouth. A medium body that's both smooth and quenching.

Very drinkable!

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

1910 - Smith's Glyco-Heroin cough mixture becomes a best-selling cold remedy.

1929 - Coca Cola end a thirty-year practice of fortifying their soda drink with cocaine extract.

2010 - Central City Brewing finally admit their IPA is brewed primarily from crack and jelly-beans?

This is a beautiful golden IPA with gentle carbonation. It smells like candied hops, the usual citrus spectrum, and mulled tropical fruit. The bitterness/sweetness balance is exemplary, resulting in an uncomplicated yet alluring brew. It is suspiciously wonderful. I think I finally understand the unfiltered exuberance with which toddlers behold SunnyD. Get some.

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Was recommended by an elderly man in my local liquor store.

The beer is found in a can which is unusual for me because I am accustomed to purchasing craft beer in a bottle.

It pours deep orange with a thin head that leaves remnants atop the brew.

The smell of the beer is tremendous. There is a pungent super-hoppy/piney an fruity aroma that iterally flows from the can. The smell is delicious.

The taste offers exactly what the smell presents initially. The beer is deliciously hoppy with a perfect balance of citrus and pine hops. The best part about the beer is as it warms, a distinct pineapple flavor becomes present which inreases its scrumptiousness. There is a nice malty exit that is not very overpowering.

The mouthfeel is exceptional and ranks equally with many IPAs. It almost feels as if it could be a dIPA.

The beer has a powerful hop-foward taste but the alcohol is almost perfectly masked which heightens its drinkability. I fortunately have the opportunity to drink this beer regularly. Because of that, I must say that this guy is the steeple of my beer drinking preference. Easy to get for me and never, ever a let down. If you like a unique take of the style find this beer immediatley.

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Had this beer on tap at the Alibi Room in Vancouver. Wonderful floral and citrusy aromas were here, great hoppy flavor, everything in its right place. Just a solid I.P.A here. If you see it, drink it: you won't be disappointed.

Plus, I would totally do the "Red Racer" on the logo.

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Served from12oz. can, obtained via trade as an extra with jlindros (thanks man!), into my Stone Levitation glass (11/23/09) at an appropriate temperature. I had never heard of this beer, but I am certainly glad that I have been introduced to it.

A: Pours a fairly clear golden yellow with a slight orange hue capped off by a thick and frothy 2 finger head that stuck around for the duration of the beer. Very nice thick lacing is left on the inside of the glass.

S: WOW! Definitely the best smelling canned IPA (or canned beer for that matter) I have ever experienced and certainly one of the best smelling American IPAs period. As soon as the can was cracked, the citrusy hops exploded with lushes tones of orange marmalade, flowers, grapefruit, tropical fruit, lemon, pine, with slight malty backbone.

T: The hop flavors continue onto the palate with citrusy layers of grapefruit, orange marmalade, orange zest, and pine. A slight caramel malt rounds out this delicious American IPA. There is just a slight bitterness to the finish which nicely cleanses the palate.

M: Medium-bodied with nice creamy carbonation and very smooth.

D: Exceptionally drinkable and the flavors are so rich and fresh with no hint whatsoever of the 6.5% abv.

Overall this beer was a great surprise and a generous extra that came completely out of left field and completely wowed me. If you see this beer anywhere, anytime, do yourself a favor a pick up as many as you can. Thanks again Jared for introducing me to this exceptional American IPA. Highly Recommended.

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

12oz can(!) obtained at Whole Foods in Portland, Maine. Pours a hazy golden amber body with nearly an inch of slowly dissipating off-white head that leaves a good bit of lacing on the side of the glass. Smells intensely hoppy, with citrus (lemon to grapefruit), pith, pine, mint, herb, and just enough caramel and chocolate malt to balance. Tastes very citrussy, lemon and a bit of grapefruit particularly come to mind, with some pith herb, zest... Malt is there but only in the background, though it's fairly pleasant and pronounced with notes of toffee, coffee, and chocolate toward the finish. Medium bodied with moderate to ample carbonation. A really easy-drinker, this beer is disappearing faster than I'd like it to. A pleasant surprise! A top-notch IPA right up there with the best ones from south of the border (US). Well worth the buy if you can find it, I'll definitely be picking this one up again. Yum!

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a crystal clear golden amber with a quarter inch of head. Fairly good head retention and lacing throughout.

The aroma is fantastic, nice sweet pink grapefruit with a little caramel underneath and sweet fresh cut navel oranges. Nicely citrusy and sweet, only a hint of pine. Wow.

Central City nailed the style. Grapefruit flesh with a little rind and pine thrown in against a very subtle, very nuanced sweet malt backbone, but whereas the lack of a strong malt presence is normally a shortcoming for an IPA, it totally works here, as the hops are the star of the show and they're so deftly handled adding more malt would seem like cheating, if not ruin everything. Honestly, the bitterness is not overdone or underdone. It's spot on, really, and just as bitter as it needs to be. No more. No less. I can find no fault with it.

This is the best hopcentric beer brewed in Canada that I have ever tried--hell, it's better than 97% of the American brewed IPAs I have tried. So good.

Drinkability? If I could only drink one beer brewed in Canada it might very well be this.

Thanks to papat444 for so generously sharing this with me.

4.74/5  rDev +11.5%

I only bought this because I hadn't seen it before. I didn't really have high expectations but I was blown away. One of the best IPA's I've had! The smell is amazing! Interesting that it only comes in a can (at least where I can get it - Calgary).

Thanks kmurray8621 !!!

pours a nice light copper with a foamy head that left beautiful lacing and great retention. beautiful pour!

very floral and sweet citrus. lots of orange, pineapple, and tangerine.

citrus bitterness that never ceases. hidden inside is a citrus and floral hop flavor. a bit of orange and pineapple. light sweet malts.

light to moderate carbonation. a bit of bite that blends well with the hop bitterness

this is hands down one of the best IPA's i have ever had. god damn, i hate that i only have one. canada is reppin the IPA scene HARD with this. KUDOS! this is nectar i can live off of. i am floored.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

12oz. can poured into an oversized tulip.

A: Pours a hazy orange/amber with 3 fingers of fluffy white head which leaves behind ample sticky lacing.

S: Tropical fruit and pine.

T: Pine, grapefruit, passion fruit. The finish is pure piney bitterness but it does not linger unpleasantly.

M: Perfect for the style: medium body, adequate carbonation.

D: Gimme another! ;)

Definitely the best single IPA in Canada. Probably my favourite overall but I have not tried that many from the US.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer was my first love when it comes to IPAs, and it still is to this day. It will always hold a special place in my beer-drinking heart, and if you find some Red Racer IPA and are wondering if you should try it, DO IT - you will not be disappointed.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Delicious IPA... Excellent hoppy beer. It has a wonderful IPA smell. Well balanced and stands out amongst the many other IPAs out there.

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

I picked up a 6-pack of this while on vacation in Vancouver; our honeymoon, actually! It was the one beer I was really looking forward to trying from Canada and was really excited to find it. Not so excited to pay $16 for the privledge but oh well. Such is being a BA.

Served cool into a globe, Red Racer is a hazy copper orange color with thick white head. Nice retention to the head which settles slowly leaving stick lace behind.

The aroma is spectacular. It's clearly very heavily hopped with tons of resiny citrus hops. I would love to know what they used in dry-hopping because it has a to-die-for aroma.

Flavor is excellent as well with just tons of hoppy goodness. It doesn't have extreme bitterness as some IPAs. It's more like a Racer 5 that just comes across as clean crisp citrus. A solid malt body is present to stand up to all those hops. Very fresh tasting and something I think of as candied or sugared orange rind. It's nicely balanced from beginning to end but definately has the hops that an IPA lover craves.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with appropriate carbonation. It actually has a really soft feel that might be partly due to the can. Smooth carbonation almost makes it seem like it was served on tap. Speaking of which, I had it at the Alibi Room on tap and it was just as exceptional as it is from the can.

Overall a fantastic IPA - probably one of the best I've ever had... and it's from Canada! Please bring this one stateside. It's not like we need another IPA but this one is top-notch.

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light golden brown color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts with a strong bite of piney hops bitterness that is followed by a nice citrus and caramel sweetness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and provides a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, decent kick, excellent representation of style, this is definitely one of the better IPA's that I've had and is a beer that I could drink for an entire evening.

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

355 ml can poured in a pint glass. Bought at Willow Park main store in Calgary.

Cloudy amber colour. Off-white head is 1/4 inch on the pour but quickly recedes to a thin ring around the edge. Spots of lacing here and here.

Delicious aroma of citrus hops and caramel malts. Grapefruit and lemon with caramel sweetness.

Grapefruit hops through and through with hints of caramel and toffee in the start and middle to balance it out. Bitter cascade hop finish is long and luscious. A great example of how a beer can be a hop bomb without obliterating your tastebuds.

Medium bodied and smooth with a slight oily texture. Very little pin pricks of carbonation.

Quite possibly the best American IPA I've ever had. Loaded with full, lush flavours without overpowering your senses. I wish this beer was available in my area!

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

473ml can into snifter. canned on april 9, 2014. enjoyed on may 23, 2014. i've had this many times before though

a: a clear, gorgeous, and glowing deep orange/amber with one and a half fingers of head

s: a potent but balanced tropical hop blast consisting of, in this order: pineapple, mango, pine, citrusy lemon & grapefruit, and bready caramel malt

t: ultra dank pine up front, but loads of pineapple as well, which quickly leads into juicy ripe oranges and bitter pink grapefruit. the caramel malt enters mid-palate, lingers for some time, and is absolutely delicious. hints of peaches? finishes dry -- bitter and piney. slight off-notes of burnt hops. strong and unbelievably tasty flavours

m: medium body with medium-to-high carbonation. lingering oily and sticky qualities. so good

o: CANADIAN SCULPIN. the best canadian IPA i've had so far and one of my overall favourite beers. central city recently switched over from 355ml cans to tallboys for this beer, while also lowering the price by a few cents -- can't beat that! gonna be slamming these all summer long. a must-try for hop heads

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance - Copper-amber color, medium carbonation, one finger head, retention in my cleanest glass shows each sip I took long after the fact. Very clear.

Smell - Possibly biscuity, the hops really overwhelm the malt though. Hops have a leafy/grassy smell. No estery aromas.

Taste - Much stronger than the aroma, bitterness is high, the four varieties of hops used create a complex taste that goes bitter, medium intensity, then a slight sweet or mild taste at the end that holds on. It does not hold on for a week like their Winter Ale. (Maybe having it 7 days/week last year was not normal consumption)

Mouthfeel - Excellent mouthfeel, swirl it around and enjoy. Just right for the style, body is there but does not take over.

Drinkability - This is my favorite IPA, and in terms of taste I would rate it A+ overall as this is what makes it really stand out. I have no idea how this review will score it, but I signed up with BA in order to rate this delicious beer from my hometown. I have to admit I've had several gallons of this in growlers, so if you are in the Vancouver area you would be better to stop in to fill up a growler or two as I noticed their best beers are not in cans. This is the IPA I use as a standard when I experiment with creating my own IPA's at home.

Although this is my home town beer I would still recommend actually coming out to the brewpub to try most of what they have to offer. Like the reviews of the pub say, some staff couldn't care about the quality of beer, and some recognize it for what its worth, but trying everything on tap is an awesome night out. Sunday special with 1/2 price pizza and $3.50 pints is great.

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

An impressive showing from a brewery with which I was unfamiliar.

Pours amber with peachy tones. Several fingers of frothy, bright white head and heavy, lingering lacing that literally coats the sides of the glass.

The aroma is everything an IPA should be. Very fruity with both citrus and tropical fruit present. Also a beautiful, floral, hoppy aroma.

The taste is mildly hoppy all the way. There is a notable amount of spice, especially pepper, tropical fruits, peach, and citrus at the end. It is never too bitter, but the taste is definitely more punchy than the smell.

Mouthfeel is incredibly full and consistent. Light, sparkly carbonation. Goes down like ice water on a hot day.

4.79/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours... red. Ha-cha.

Smells bready, doughy, yeasty, and then floral hoppy. Big grapefruit and orange hops bounce wonderfully against the chewy malt.

Tastes fantastic, an absolutely perfect exemplar of the style! The malt is big, bready, and assertive--almost like Rogue's double IPA, the yeast complexities are actually a big, intentional part of the beer's pallet. There's neat stuff going on here that's not hop-related!!

It's been a while since I've come across an IPA like this, where the malt profile is as aggressive and adventurous as the hops. This requires that the beer be hopped expertly--not excessively--and that is apparently out of bounds for most brewers these days.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A: Pours a clear amber color with a nice off white, one finger head. Head dissipated to a nice layer of bubbles on the top and down the sides as I drank.

S: Lots of citrus on the nose, some grapefruit and pineapple, really nice hop aroma.

T: Very refreshing, more hops here with the grapefruit and pineapple dominating. Slightly bitter finish, leaves a sticky feeling.

M/D: Medium bodied with nice carbonation. Extremely easy drinking, this was a great beer. I wish I had bought a few more cans.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a rich copper colour with great head and lacing down the glass. The glass is just coated with lacing. Smell is a blast of piney hops, with some citrus coming through. Taste is just a hop blast of juicy hops and pine oil resin, but it has caramel malt backbone in there too. Carbonation is spot on. I bought 48 of these through a private order to Ontario and I am going to have no issue finishing these off.

This isn't just the best Canadian single IPA I've had, it may be the best one I've had period.

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

Red Racer IPA from Central City in Surrey, BC, is one my all-time favourites.

Appearance is a slightly-hazy orange-hinted colour typical of American-style IPAs. Lots of lace around the glass when poured.

But it is the first drink and sniff that gives the game aware. Fistful of citrus, grapefruit taste and smell.

The taste is big, robust mouthful of hops. Not a sipping beer. Very smooth tasting with a long, lingering aftertaste of hops.

Red Racer IPA deservedly was quoted Beer of the Year in BC by local CAMRA for the last two years.

poured into my Black Raven Imperial Pint Glass

pours copper orange with a small white head

Smell is lots of citrus, pine very hoppy and delicious.

very well balanced, if a little hop forward, not quite on the same level as pliney but its certainly much easier to get, cheaper, comes in cans and is very delicious, a big recommend for any hop head.

very nice level of carbonation smooth mouthfeel if a little bitter, really ejoyed this 6 pack that Jakeohut brought by me.

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

If you have ever heard of the term "West Coast IPA" this beer is the definition of that. It's a light copper, a beautiful white head that leaves all kinds of sexy lacing. As soon as you crack the can you're assaulted, in a pleasant way, with citrus, creamsicle hop aromas with a smattering of pine and whispers of grapefruit and sweet malt. The pine intensifies in the taste and mingles with the citrus and hints of fruitiness to coat your mouth in that tantalizing way that hops like to work. A nice delicate malt backbone of caramel, biscuit, and a slight sweetness back up the hops. The dry finish, smooth body, perfect carbonation and 6.5% abv make this a dangerous beer. One is not enough.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers