2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewing

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

(Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009)
Ratings: 804 | Reviews: 438 | Show All Ratings:
Casey10

Maine

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Believe the hype this is one nice beer from a can no less. Picked up at Wholefoods in Portland, Me then picked up some more at Bootleggers in Thopsham, Me

A - Nice hazy orange with a a white head with some lacing on the glass.

S - Floral, citruis, grapefruit some pine.

T - Orange comes through nicely, again more hops at 6.5 not bad at all.

M - Again leaves that sort of bittering feel when you have a really nice ipa that stays with you after a sip.

D - So greatful my local store has this will be on the regular rotation wonderfully done!!

12-15-2009 22:55:41 | More by Casey10
sholland119

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

A-Pours a clear copper golden with a nice off white head and a little bit of lacing.

S-A wonderful citrus and pine hoppiness with a bit of sweet malt underneath. A great aroma!

T-Citrus hops and sweet malt in a very nice balance. Tatsy.

M-Medium bodied, crisp and a bit dry.

D-Excellent. Not sure how a beer from Vancouver wound up at Julio's in MA, but I am sure glad it did!

HV

12-15-2009 02:15:55 | More by sholland119
pnkHoody

British Columbia (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

1910 - Smith's Glyco-Heroin cough mixture becomes a best-selling cold remedy.

1929 - Coca Cola end a thirty-year practice of fortifying their soda drink with cocaine extract.

2010 - Central City Brewing finally admit their IPA is brewed primarily from crack and jelly-beans?

This is a beautiful golden IPA with gentle carbonation. It smells like candied hops, the usual citrus spectrum, and mulled tropical fruit. The bitterness/sweetness balance is exemplary, resulting in an uncomplicated yet alluring brew. It is suspiciously wonderful. I think I finally understand the unfiltered exuberance with which toddlers behold SunnyD. Get some.

12-11-2009 04:12:19 | More by pnkHoody
chickenm

British Columbia (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear copper color with a foamy white head that leaves a little lacing. The aroma is dominated by the intense smell of citrusy hops, with a touch of sweet honey. This has got to be the best smell of any IPA I've tried so far. The taste is dominated by the hops as well. Grapefruit with a bit of pine. Leaves a bitter aftertase, although the bitterness is not too over the top. Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Overall this is great stuff, one of the best Canadian beers out there!

12-11-2009 03:29:54 | More by chickenm
Long813

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

Received in a trade with wordemupg.

G: Pint Glass

A: Dark orange body, one inch of white head with pour retention, leaves fine lacing.

S: Very strong hops and citrus fruits. I can pick out grapefruit and orange, but the others just blend together.

T: Strong grapefruit aroma, along side with pine and orange. Faint caramel notes in the end.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation. It's smooth and creamy around the mouth. There is a distinct pine-bitterness that lingers in the mouth for a very long time.

D: I'm very glad I received this beer in a trade. It's an exceptional IPA and I wish I had local access to it. It's very easy to drink minus the (very) strong bitter/hoppy finish.

12-04-2009 20:25:08 | More by Long813
AndyAvalanche

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass from a can. Cool looking design on the label, has a vintage 1950's look. The beer pours a yellow/amber color with very good clarity, only the slightest haze. Has a large white foamy head with no two bubbles the same size, very good lacing to it. Hops dominate the smell on this IPA, I smelled it from the can before pouring it and citrus hops attacked my nose as it warms up I believe I can detect a piney aroma as well. The taste is maybe just under par of the smell, but still quite good. Kind of one of those flavors where I wish I could give it a "4.25." Much like the smell it is the citrus hops that stand out to me. However I feel this is a very reasonably malted IPA because the initial taste is sweet. Again as it warms up the taste of pine is detected, but it also leaves an earthy taste that brings the flavor scale down only slightly. Mouthfeel is good, feels lighter than I expected, good bitter finish from the hops. Probably the most drinkable IPA I've had in quite some time. I'm giving the drinkablility a perfect 5, but this was a change in pace of what I'm normally drinking this time of year. IPA's are my summer stand by so I'd like to get more in the summer and maybe tweek this a little now that I think about it.

PS- Thanks to John from Granite Liquors on this one!

12-01-2009 22:49:06 | More by AndyAvalanche
Lunch

Maryland

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

Served from12oz. can, obtained via trade as an extra with jlindros (thanks man!), into my Stone Levitation glass (11/23/09) at an appropriate temperature. I had never heard of this beer, but I am certainly glad that I have been introduced to it.

A: Pours a fairly clear golden yellow with a slight orange hue capped off by a thick and frothy 2 finger head that stuck around for the duration of the beer. Very nice thick lacing is left on the inside of the glass.

S: WOW! Definitely the best smelling canned IPA (or canned beer for that matter) I have ever experienced and certainly one of the best smelling American IPAs period. As soon as the can was cracked, the citrusy hops exploded with lushes tones of orange marmalade, flowers, grapefruit, tropical fruit, lemon, pine, with slight malty backbone.

T: The hop flavors continue onto the palate with citrusy layers of grapefruit, orange marmalade, orange zest, and pine. A slight caramel malt rounds out this delicious American IPA. There is just a slight bitterness to the finish which nicely cleanses the palate.

M: Medium-bodied with nice creamy carbonation and very smooth.

D: Exceptionally drinkable and the flavors are so rich and fresh with no hint whatsoever of the 6.5% abv.

Overall this beer was a great surprise and a generous extra that came completely out of left field and completely wowed me. If you see this beer anywhere, anytime, do yourself a favor a pick up as many as you can. Thanks again Jared for introducing me to this exceptional American IPA. Highly Recommended.

12-01-2009 15:15:51 | More by Lunch
Walken

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Central City: Red Racer IPA (Tasted 11/30/09)
12 oz. can, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazed gold with a monstrous off-white head of sea foam that leaves rings of lace on the sides of the pint glass as it fades, solid half-inch of residual head.
Odor: Damn. White grapefruit with a healthy dose of waxy rind, orange and some spice from the hops. Low riding crystal malt aroma melds perfectly with the hops, lending a a rich candied pineapple background scent. A little subdued for style, but what it lacks in intensity, it more than makes up for with variety.
Consistency: High end of light bodied, bordering on medium. Hop oils and low carbonation make for an ultra clean, smooth drinking experience.
Flavor: The aroma is very telling. Mouth full of C-hops, grapefruit. pine orange. Once again, the light honeylike/candied malt gives a sweetish, tropical fruit dimension to the hop flavor. Bitterness is firm, obviously going above and beyond balancing the malt. Finish is clean, hops dominate, leaving a light coating of bitter oily goodness on the tongue.

Man, it's expectional IPA's like this that make me smile. It's a hop bomb alright, it's unbalanced, but the beer isn't dry or sweet to the point of absurdity. Glad this is available in MA and in cans no less! Paired with spicy "all the leftovers fit to simmer turkey stew".

11-30-2009 22:29:49 | More by Walken
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

12oz can(!) obtained at Whole Foods in Portland, Maine. Pours a hazy golden amber body with nearly an inch of slowly dissipating off-white head that leaves a good bit of lacing on the side of the glass. Smells intensely hoppy, with citrus (lemon to grapefruit), pith, pine, mint, herb, and just enough caramel and chocolate malt to balance. Tastes very citrussy, lemon and a bit of grapefruit particularly come to mind, with some pith herb, zest... Malt is there but only in the background, though it's fairly pleasant and pronounced with notes of toffee, coffee, and chocolate toward the finish. Medium bodied with moderate to ample carbonation. A really easy-drinker, this beer is disappearing faster than I'd like it to. A pleasant surprise! A top-notch IPA right up there with the best ones from south of the border (US). Well worth the buy if you can find it, I'll definitely be picking this one up again. Yum!

11-29-2009 23:39:17 | More by MrHurmateeowish
u2carew

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz can! Consumed 11/29/09
A) Pours with a big bubbled head. Slowly settles. Lacing is semi-sticky, creamy and beige in color. The body is transparent. Upward carbonation. Copper in color.
S) Cascade hop aroma. Grapefruit. Peach. Orange. Little caramel sweetness.
T) Caramel and orange sweetness up front. Then moves to a nutty and earthy mix with the hop bite. The finish is pleasant and the caramel malt and hop bite stay balanced in the aftertaste and beyond.
M) Mild fizziness. Medium body. Crisp yet fairly smooth.
D) A great IPA and from a CAN! I'd definitely have another and spread the gospel about this brew.

11-29-2009 23:15:13 | More by u2carew
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Can: Poured an amber color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of hops is pretty intense with bitter and citrus notes clearly identified. Taste is a great mix between some citrus and bitter hops with a good caramel malt backbone. Body is a bit thin for style with good carbonation. Well done and would stand well within some of the staple of the style.

11-25-2009 14:16:55 | More by Phyl21ca
Ezekiel81923

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Received via trade with kmurray8621...thanks once again Kevin for another great beer. Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour gives a somewhat rocky, but foamy, off-white 1.5 finger head. Great amber/gold color. Head recedes to a thin layer on top and ridiculous lacing.

Smell: Overwhelming aroma of grape fruit. And I mean that in the best way possible. Strong pine notes. Very resinous. This rivals Pliny the Elder, no lie. I put the aroma of this beer up there with the best IPA's and even some of the best DIPA's.

Taste: Holy cow! Grapefruit. Pine and orange peel too, but grapefruit is the dominant flavor of this beer. A decent malt backbone, but the hops never disappear. The bitterness about halfway through lasts through the finish and is second only to the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation that is subtle at first, but splashes all over the mouth right before you swallow. Bitterness lingers for literally minutes after the swallow if you give it that much time before another sip. Lingering hop oils coat your tongue, leaving a lasting grapefruit flavor.

Drinkability: Not very heavy, the malt backbone only exists as a very temporary balancing agent, and in no way weighs this beer down. If your a hop head, or can handle such oily and resinous hops, you could drink a few of these.

Pretty sure this is my first Canadian beer. And it gives me a new found respect for Canada. Great beer!

11-17-2009 23:42:53 | More by Ezekiel81923
smcolw

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Good starting head that leaves some ring lace. The liquid light amber and clear.

Strong pine-grapefruit citrusy aroma--like a true IPA.

This is a hop-lovers IPA, which says a lot given the nature of a typical IPA. I cannot detect any malt because the hop is the beginning, ending and aftertaste of the tasting. I'm speculating, but I think the bittering hop is one of the high-alpha kind. Still, it is tasting very fresh. Lighter body than expected.

11-15-2009 23:20:51 | More by smcolw
bladesgolf

4.93/5  rDev +16%

I am just thankful that I can buy this beer in Massachussetts. I would probably never buy this beer from looking at it on a shelf mixed with bottled of IPAS and DIPAs, but Damn. This is the best tasting HOP bomb (I prefer it to Hopslam and Hop Stoopid). For some it maybe a sipper, but for me it is highly drinkable, and the flavor is bold and non-stop. I took a sip and went to read a story to my daughter and could still feel the citrus flavors followed by a ripe grapefruit finish in my mouth.
I may plan a trip to BC, Canada just to try this on tap/growler. This beer is truly a winner from for any Hop Hound.

11-15-2009 03:40:41 | More by bladesgolf
edchicma

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a golden hue with a strong initial head with great lacing. Great aroma! Pinee, herbs..hops over the top...extremely inviting. Taste is pure hops with just enough backbone to keep it in check. Mouthfeel is puckery but not to distraction...great dry finish. For an IPA this is very drinkable..but beware...this is a sipper!

11-12-2009 01:02:53 | More by edchicma
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

I am sorry but this is easily, easily one of the best IPA's I have ever had. Hands down. Served cold and poured from a can into a pint glass to enjoy with my lunch today in between cleaning out the garage, this one was consumed on 11/08/2009.

The pour was just wonderful. Clear as day with a rich orange tinted amber color that held together very well. Nice two inches of head on top quicky settled down to a thin film which thoroughly coating the entire inside of the glass to the point nothing could be seen inside. The I lean in for a whiff. Holy citrus knockout. This thing is a cannon of hops. Rich orange and tangerine notes lined with loads of pineapple and grapefruit. This is just insanely fresh. Even warming does nothing to depart from the super fresh hops that are just owning my face right now. Intense is not even the right word for it. Crisp and clean taste offers more of the same, just intense and crisp, hop flavor all over the place. Pineapple and grapefruit dominate, clean dry finish with super sticky resin like flavors, not an ounce of balance here and none needed.

Overall this was a beast of an IPA, that dare I say I liked better then most anything I have had from this country lately. Hands down this is unreal. Please go find this and send me a case, I have found my house beer.

11-08-2009 18:50:20 | More by mikesgroove
indiapaleale

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Pour - Somewhere between amber and gold lies the color of this beer. Nice and clean with little bubbles streaming north to make a sticky, fluffy coat on top.

Aroma - Oh man, this is the stuff. Super fresh squeezed bitter grapefruit, ridiculously piney, resiny awesome hoppiness! It's all there. I could huff this stuff. Has to be one of the best smelling IPAs I've come across (can, bottle or tap) in a while.

Taste - Grapefruit! Wow. This is the most grapefruity beer I've ever had (including Pliny and Hop Stoopid). Super fresh hops, pine, some orange peel but more than anything this tastes like a fresh squeezed grapefruit with a bit of malty goodness thrown in for fun.

Overall - I'm blown away. I would have never thought that this beer came out of this can. Awesome stuff! I love these kinds of IPAs and am stoked I can get this here in New England. Also, this was my first beer from BC and it was excellent! I may need to go back and try the other two that Central Brewing is distributing here in MA.

Would I buy more of it? - Hell yeah! I am going back for another six-pack very soon. This could easily be my go to beer and I'd love it if I had an endless supply in my fridge.

11-03-2009 22:31:28 | More by indiapaleale
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

355ml can poured into Unibroue glass nov2 2009

A crystal clear golden amber with a thumbs width of head after a hard pour. it has decent retention with a few rings of lace

S very nice almost like I'm smelling a glass of grapefruit and tangerine juice. I also pick up on a little bit of booze, pine and some caramel to go along with the floral citrus

T tastes as it smells with a little bit of malt to balance things out. very good example for this style and the best canned beer I can think of

M thick enough to please me but I'm wondering if a little more carbonation might help its cause

D smell and sip a few times and its gone, very nice beer and I wish I had more of it

one of if not the best Canadian IPA's I've ever tried with out doubt. I'm even more impressed by the fact it comes from a can, much less impressed by not finding it east of BC far as I know. drink this whenever you get the chance it's a winner

11-03-2009 06:51:58 | More by wordemupg
MeisterBurger

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a crystal clear golden amber with a quarter inch of head. Fairly good head retention and lacing throughout.

The aroma is fantastic, nice sweet pink grapefruit with a little caramel underneath and sweet fresh cut navel oranges. Nicely citrusy and sweet, only a hint of pine. Wow.

Central City nailed the style. Grapefruit flesh with a little rind and pine thrown in against a very subtle, very nuanced sweet malt backbone, but whereas the lack of a strong malt presence is normally a shortcoming for an IPA, it totally works here, as the hops are the star of the show and they're so deftly handled adding more malt would seem like cheating, if not ruin everything. Honestly, the bitterness is not overdone or underdone. It's spot on, really, and just as bitter as it needs to be. No more. No less. I can find no fault with it.

This is the best hopcentric beer brewed in Canada that I have ever tried--hell, it's better than 97% of the American brewed IPAs I have tried. So good.

Drinkability? If I could only drink one beer brewed in Canada it might very well be this.

Thanks to papat444 for so generously sharing this with me.

10-29-2009 03:10:06 | More by MeisterBurger
jlindros

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

Lost this review in one of the crashes, but found again thanks to Google cache.

Another great looking beer from a can. Can't wait to give this a try and see how it is. It just showed up for the first time at my store, so it should be pretty fresh. Poured into my oversized DFH snifter.

A: A large 2 finger thick but large bubble head slowly dissolves, very slowly, leaving a nice lacing. It's very clear toasted auburn brown and orange color that's still pretty light in color. The head really does show no signs of disappearing.

N: Wow, a big hop aroma hits you with this, as I hoped. Lots of heavy pine and citrus on this baby. I get a really fresh hop oil aroma that really makes me feel like I'm crushing fresh hops in my hands. Nice citrus, lots of grapefruit and tropical fruit aromas. I don't get much else on the aroma except lots of fresh earthy juicy hops and, well, nothing else.

T: I'm getting excited in anticipation for the first sip that we may have another really awesome IPA at my finger tips. And the sip is really interesting, but definitely delivers. It's not as traditional hop taste with ridiculous bitterness, it actually starts with, well, fresh hop taste. I really get the taste like I'm chewing on a fresh hop, not even pellets. I get a very piney hop oil and some citrus, as well as grapefruit and tropical fruit overall. No malt character at all and not much for bitterness up front. A nice juicy hop character starts to emerge after a few sips with a slight grapefruit and tropical fruit taste. A touch of sweetness up front also helps.

M: Sticky and oily like the hop oils. Pretty good carbonation to go with it.

F: Here is the bitterness. It's not overbearing with the bitterness, but just right I think. It finishes pretty dry but doesn't rip the water right from the cells in your mouth as some do. I still have a fresh hop taste in my mouth like I just finished chewing on a hop flower right off the vine. I feel like I should be out on the harvest while drinking this delicious concoction. Then, surprisingly, the bitterness and hop flavors just disappear. My mouth is ready and awaiting for the next taste or endeavor. That is, until I swallow again and the salivary glands seem to excrete more hops, I think this has just absorbed into my blood and my body is sweating it out.

Final thoughts: A great fresh hop taste IPA. I really can only describe it as biting on a fresh hop flower. It's gone some piney and slight citrus/tropical hop juice and lots of hop oil. No malt character. I can only describe the beer as a transport method for getting the fresh hop flowers from the vine to my taste buds and into my blood stream. I might have enjoyed a slight malt character with it, but this is a west coast style. I also love that it comes in a can. Tasty crack cans! Can't wait to try their other beers in their lineup.

10-26-2009 16:35:45 | More by jlindros
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks kmurray8621 !!!

pours a nice light copper with a foamy head that left beautiful lacing and great retention. beautiful pour!

very floral and sweet citrus. lots of orange, pineapple, and tangerine.

citrus bitterness that never ceases. hidden inside is a citrus and floral hop flavor. a bit of orange and pineapple. light sweet malts.

light to moderate carbonation. a bit of bite that blends well with the hop bitterness

this is hands down one of the best IPA's i have ever had. god damn, i hate that i only have one. canada is reppin the IPA scene HARD with this. KUDOS! this is nectar i can live off of. i am floored.

10-19-2009 23:19:38 | More by hooliganlife
MasterSki

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Found a sixer of this at Wine Gallery in Brookline. Poured into a stein.

A - Pours a transparent dark orange color, with lots of tiny bubbles rising upwards, and a big three-fingered frothy off-white foam that dissipates slowly and leaves thin, soapy, patterns of lace.

S - This still smells fairly fresh (probably two months), with soapy Cascade, some sweet peachy Simcoe, and perhaps some Warrior. There is some nice toffee malt character, and this seems far more like a hoppy East Coast brew then the unbalanced palate wreckers from California.

T - Some nice sweet fuzzy peach and tangerine flavor, with a decent amount of residual bitterness and sour lemon flavor in the finish. The malt is much less present here, with the sweetness being supplied by the juiciness of C-hop varietals.

M - This is a super oily one - I can still feel the resinous hop textures long after swallowing. Nice dry fnish, soft medium body, with perfect light tingly carbonation. It's exactly what I like in my IPAs.

D - Very drinkable stuff - should have no problem killing a sixer with a buddy while watching football. Definitely the best Canadian IPA I've ever had, and competitive with my local options. Hope we start getting the cans in Chicago.

10-18-2009 18:53:20 | More by MasterSki
ritzkiss

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Can from Vancouver, pours a typical IPA golden, crystal clear, nice finger of head - dies to a thin cover maintained throughout the glass.

Nose is a touch on the light side but bright and fresh, American IPA all the way which is a refreshing thing for my tastebuds and nostrils. Tangerine, pineapple, oranges, grapefruit, floral, hints of pine.

This has got to be the best IPA in Canada I've had to date, hands down. Light, sweet caramel is subtly overwhelmed (if that is possible) by floral and citrus hops, a nice, nasty (another paradox?) long hop bite full of pine finishes it off - and yet I don't feel like it was overly rough, a nice polite Canadian hop attack. Balanced and yet hopped up - a beer of paradoxes.

Pretty damn fine, especially when compared to other bottled/canned Canadian options. Were I nearer to Vancouver this would by my go to. In a can makes it even more adaptable, good for wherever whenever. Canadian hop-heads would rejoice if it wasn't for our atrocious distribution system. Kudos to Central City for this. As Bobsy said, were this an American beer the hype would be high - as is, we can be proud of this great Canadian beer.

10-15-2009 02:13:48 | More by ritzkiss
portia99

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz can courtesy of nonstick...thanks Chris! Poured into a Bruery goblet.

A - Beautifully clear, gold with amber highlights. Big, one finger of fluffy white head...lasts a minute or so before dying down to a thin layer of bubbles. Nice lacing left down the sides of the glass.

S - Thick, resiny pine aroma with grapefruit touches nicely added in. Bready, biscuity malt in the background with hints of sugary sweetness.

T - Tons of pine here. Bitterness is pretty strong - good and crisp. Citrus and grassy notes blend in behind the heavy pine flavor.

M - Mouthfeel is dominated by the pervasive bitterness in this IPA. Body is medium and carbonation is just about right.

D - This is quite a good IPA. This has as much and as good a flavor as any IPA out there. Would put this in my top 5 IPA's right now. Could easily be happy with several of these throughout the day.

10-10-2009 22:35:13 | More by portia99
DrDogbeer

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from the funky green can. Seriously looks like a juice or soda can. Pours a crystal clear orange/gold with a fluffy white head. Smell is wonderful west coast ipa pine and citrus love! Not an overpowering scent but lovely. Taste is similar to the aromas with lots of pine and grapefruit up front, but this one does not kill you with the bitterness. A sweet light malt backbone makes it insanely drinkable. Just a wonderful beer and I am stoked it is now available here!

10-06-2009 20:56:48 | More by DrDogbeer