Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewing

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

(Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Red Racer IPA

Poured from 12oz can into a Maudite snifter.

This one pours a slightly murky amber orange with a few fingers of pillowy cream colored head. The head leaves walls of lacing as it dissipates.

The nose is pretty explosive right off the bat. Tones of grapefruit and apricot are present and delightfully intertwined with a bit of sweet malt.

The taste is spot on. Awesome citrus fruits up with some hoppy bitterness. This is followed by some rich malt that is balanced well against the hops. Some grassy flavors are noticed at the end of each sip. A silky buttery taste is creating an awesome aftertaste

The mouthfeel is light-bodied with a prickley carbonation sensation.

Overall, this is a prefect traditional IPA. Great balance, drinkability, and flavors.

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

A: clear copper, kinda minimal diminishing offf white head.
S: toffeeish malts...not my preference for the style. Also spicy, piney/resiny hops with a touch of grapefruit.
T: lightly sweet toffeeish malts are quickly and fully washed out by a sharp and rather astringent aspirin-like hop bitterness. Finishes dry.
M: the tannic quality lingers. Light to medium body seems a touch thin. Soft carbonation.
O: I was expecting to like this more...I can see how others do, it just doesn't hit my preferences for the style.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

light-moderate yellow-orange color, crystal clear, moderate carbonation and a giant, cream of wheat head.

Grassy, soapy, piney hops with a light toasty caramel underneath. Smells very clean with slight, bright vegetation.

Everything that is in the nose, with the additional of sweet bubblegum immediately as you sip and a spicier malt profile. Rye? Sticky in the finish and very resinous.

Very bright and harshly carbonated.

A very good IPA, though very piney in the finish and a little sticky, though I like the abv% where it is. 7% can be a little high if not brewed right and 5% often times results in an unbalanced IPA.

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Copper colored with a small white head leaving some lace behind.

Nose of resinous juicy hops oils. Citrusy with grapefruit, orange, mineral, pine, grass, toffee malts, and a bit of cereal grain.

Much more piney and forest fur in the mouth. A nutty character on the finish with layered malts. Toffee, caramel, cereal and biscuit. Citrus is subdued from the nose but show slightly in the middle. Never had an IPA with this much nut character.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to hannydawg for sharing a fresh one of these with all present

This beer looks a touch on the pale side of golden, but there is a frothy white head that looks rather inviting. The aroma is quite hop-filled. I believe that there is a lot of amarillo hops on the nose, but I've been wrong before when naming hops. The taste is quite herbal and grassy with a touch of citrus finish. There seems to be what I believe is cascade hops for bittering. I find that I like the usage of cascade hops in most IPAs. This is a very good beer and I would go back for more if I could more often guarantee it's freshness.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to my boy JayAre46 for a couple of cans of this treat from the great white north

A: I should give the appearance a 5 just because the can is so AWESOME!. It poured a beautiful crisp orange with 2 fingers of foamy white head. The head stuck around for a good while and left nice traces of lacing

S: holy pine hops! Stings the nostrils like catching a whiff of Sex Panther! Great pine hop backbone with some great citrus notes in the back. Getting some orange, lemon and grapefruit

T: The taste follows the nose to the T son but with some nice bread like qualities and a little bit of caramel to balance out the hops runnin wild on my tongue

M: Medium bodied, clean and crisp. Drying hop aftertaste that coats the entire inside of your mouth and lingers. I wish that there was someone here who I didn't like so I could just go breathe in their face and set it on fire with my hop breath. Very nice

O: Overall this was a great IPA. No wonder Terance and Phillip were so funny... they were drunk off of this stuff.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Enjoyed this fine beer courtesy of Rutager. Thanks again! Poured from the can into a tulip. Beer has a very nice light orange color and a thick, creamy off white head that dissipates very quickly, leaving lots of bubbly lacing. Smells of pine with some citrus flavors (predominantly orange and tangerine). Medium bodied and crisp with good carbonation. Taste starts with notes of pine and transitions to a rich, mid-palate sweetness (honey) and a touch of malt. Very well-balanced. Finish is amazingly long and pleasantly bitter. If I had regular access to this beer, it would always be in my fridge. The best canned IPA I've had the pleasure of trying, with the exception of Surly Abrasive. Good stuff.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

shout out to RUTAGER for this 6 of red racceeaaa BIG ups to him.

first off what a can, vintage look with a slick red head just killing it on the fat tire, feet not even on the pedals son!
A - Pours an off white 1 1/2 finger head that recedes to sticky bubbles and a sheet supported by angry bubbles shooting to the top. Some rings, some spider webs, lacing of the lost bubbles. Translucent burnt orange head with some golden streamers streaming streamlessly. don't judge me.

A - fresh hops, we've got some pine here, we've got some citrus, its tangy its grapefruit, slightly sweet malt backbone to help control the hop aromas. I like the hop aromas maybe i want a little more cascade or others, i don't want control sometimes i want some anarchy driven hops that say fuck off, control this...keep em coming people.

T - very pale bready crystal malts also hints of a caramel background, hops follow the nose strong grapefruit and some pine present sweet and tangy fruits i want to say pineapple but i don't think thats it, its too subtle. Slight bitter finish and very crisp with a complimentary carbonation level, at first i felt the carbonation was too high but it creates a crisp finish that pushes this to one of the most refreshing ipa's i've had. Alcohol is not present.

M - Light to medium body, carbonation is at its peak, prickly. The hops linger, showing loyalty of a Gah Damn dragon there to the end for that awesome hop breath you want to breathe in the faces of new borns and watch them pucker. Mouth open = random flying hop dragons spreading the love, slapping faces until they sleep, then sip and reload son. AAAHHH YOU DIG IT THE MOST!!!

O - As smooth as it gets with this carbonation, well rounded ipa nothing messy or overbearing. This is my first red racer i told myself im having one, i just cracked the second one open. Whatever. Extremely refreshing very easy to drink, I could drink 6 of these and the last would be as good as the first, if i could get this on the reg. it would be a constant in my fridge. "This is such a good IPA, its the best IPA in the world" just imagine tony montana saying that, its what im doing.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a clear golden orange with a one finger soapy head that dissipates fairly quickly. Looks pretty good.

In the nose I get some bready malts, grapefruit, other citrus, as well as some tropical fruit. While the citrus notes are prominent, there is a definite sweeter malt note and a strong tropical fruit note that brings to mind mango. I also get a slight piney/resiny note.

As far as taste goes I get less citrus than in the smell and more pine notes followed by a nice bready caramel malt. Of course, there is some citrus and tropical fruit present, but they play more of a supportive role. The supportive role is played by citrus in the bitterness, and tropical fruit backing up the caramel malt sweetness. There is also definitely an orange sweetness in this beer. Very well balanced beer, although not perhaps the most mindblowing.

Mouthfeel is very medium bodied and a touch sticky. I would prefer if this were just a bit drier, but the mouthfeel is still good.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

100th review. Poured in to my Red Racer pint glass. This has got to be the best beer logo around!!

Appearance. Pours a clear, almost glowing, deep golden amber with two full fingers of the thickest, dense, sticky looking, off white head that lasts a while and leaves beautiful bands and curtains of lace.

Smell. Huge piney hops with some sweet caramel and light toasted grains backing it up. Some yellow grapefruit and other light citrus notes with a hint of yeast funk.

Taste. Starts with nice caramel and light toasted grains. Grapefruit hops start to kick in and bitterness begins to build. More citrus fruit and pine sap with just a little mango. Finishes grassy, piney and bitter ...lasting, awesome bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium, smooth carbonation. Crisp and clean, alcohol well hidden.

Overall. I love this stuff. I've drank it hundreds of times in cans, pints, and cask pours and it never fails to amaze me.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Poured with a moderate-sized, off-white, creamy and fluffy head, that showed good lasting power, and left some nice sticky lacing on the glass. Body is a dark orange color, with just a bit of haze.

S: Very strong aroma, prominently of hops, in the pine and citrus variety... big on the orange, especially. Backed up by a touch of malt sweetness.

T: High hop flavor - lots of citrus, some pine... again, orange is dominant. Enough sweetness to help balance the hops without being cloying, like some IPAs can be. Moderate-high bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium-bodied, with moderate carbonation.

O: An excellent American IPA... pretty much lives up to all the hype.

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Pours a clear brownish-orange, nothing particularly notable here

S: Has a nice flowery hops aroma with hints of sweetness, but I'd like a more intense smell than what I'm getting; there's also a bit of mustiness here - maybe this one is old?

T: Very hoppy and somewhat bitter without a whole lot of sweetness here; it's got a pretty decent malt backbone, but it's all hops and malt (I know that's generic, but I'd like a little more out of my IPA than just those two flavors)

M: This one's got a pretty hefty body with a very dry finish, I'm a fan

O: This is a nice IPA, but I wouldn't say that it's an outstanding one - I wish there was a little more going on in the flavor; still, in a pinch for an IPA you can do a whole lot worse than this

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a six pack of these. It's weird that it comes in a can, but I've only heard good things. I've been waiting a while to taste it.

Looks kind of average. Very bright orange with a minimal head. Lots of carbonation. Looks good enough, but nothing exceptional.

The aroma is great! Mango and malt with some slight floral hops. Really interesting for an IPA!

Tasted great! Really nice beer with a lot of layers. Starts out slightly sweet, and then you get a wave of hop bitterness. The sweetness lingers though some nice buiscuty maltm while the hop flavour sits in the backhround. I'm left with the sweetness balanced with bitterness. A really balanced beer!

I'll definitely get this one again!

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Pours a light orange, with about an inch of white head on top. Not a particularly good looking beer, but man, I can smell it from a ways away.

S - Wow, this is a pungent beer. Hops, hops, hops. Citrusy fruits, mainly orange. I can't imagine a better smelling IPA.

T - Slightly less exciting than the smell, but still a very good tasting beer. Pretty much everything from the smell, but slightly muted. A decent malt body at the finish to round it all out and clean the finish.

M - Fairly creamy, well carbonated. The alcohol isn't palatable, which I like. There isn't a lingering bitterness, which is awesome.

Overall, an awesome beer. I love the can-ness of it, and it's a super fruity IPA. Low ABV helps, too. Very well done.

Been drinking for a while but never reviewed before. I figured I should start somewhere so here we go!

Appearance: Possibly one of the best looking IPAs I have ever seen. Perfect bright orange with about a 3/4 inch white head. (I tend to pour gently)

Smell: The smell is nice and sweet, though it does not blow me away like many other IPAs. I catch some tropical fruit undertones.

Taste: I can make a comparison to something like Sierra Nevada Torpedo in terms of the bitterness alone. The other tastes are provided mostly by the hops and taste nothing like the aforementioned beer. It follows the nose with its sweetness, reminding me of some tropical fruits but the nice pine bitterness does not let the fruitiness take over.

Mouthfeel: Very nice to drink. It is not watery, and in my opinion it tends to be on the thicker side for an IPA which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Overall: I enjoy this beer and if it were available around me I would surely make it a regular in my rotation.

Photo of
4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

I really enjoyed this beer as India Pale Ales tend to be my favorite style for its full bodied hop/pine/mango taste and smell, that lingers on the palette, noticeable from a mile away

Red Racer IPA fit this bill, it was impressive and pleasing to a true IPA enthusiast. A high quality India Pale Ale that was brewed with thought, and pure ingredients.

A- A rich deep golden color, with an exceptional head that ensures you are drinking real beer right from the beginning.

S- Heavy, strong hops/conifer trees/tropical fruits (mango & pineapple) notes that fill the air with a pleasant IPA aroma, that's sure to please the senses.

T- Right in line with the smell. Bold hops, pine resin, with mild sweet fruit notes, that combine to create an excellent bitter hops flavor that lingers and signifies you are enjoying a true beer.

M- Dry, smooth, crisp with a beautiful touch from the full bodied head that develops, very pleasing.

O- Definitely a winning representation of IPA, that will please anyone with a desire for IPA. Brewed properly, good ingredients, awesome can art. Stands up to any IPA variety. Try Red Racer its a quality beer.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a Clown Shoes pint glass.

The color is a very clear gold with a finger and a half of foamy white head and some thick lacing left on the glass.

The smell has a big pine needle aroma right from the start. Reminding me of a spruce tree, the aroma reminds of Christmas and the well of the Christmas tree.

The taste is a bit of a mouthful of hops. The bitterness mixes here with that pine flavor and some slight citrus flavor that is trying to announce itself but is beat down by a fresh hop flavor all over this beer.

The feel is a bit lighter then expected but still has a good feel to it.This beer goes down smooth with a slight bitter aftertaste that does hang for a short while. A refreshing IPA, this is a good summertime beer.

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

IPA, cant turn ya down. EVER.

A: Got a great color. Could be darker, but rocky heads and plenty of lacing as is expected from the bitter resins from the style.

S: Could have more pine than noted, but has a firm Warrior hop smell.

T: Still getting a metallic flavor. And I feel im justified here by bitching about the can in all other Red Racer reviews. The palisade hop flavor or whatever they are using could be the reason, and most likely is. But when you can your beer and it tastes metallic, it gives me cause for concern of the obvious.

M: Doesnt linger, could have more of an impact at both the nose and back of the tongue.

D: I prefer it to keiths, ill say that every-time.

from notes
A - slightly cloudy golden, fluffy white head retained at a solid finger with consistent lacing
S - piney and citrus zest, grainy and a light fruity note
T - herbal and spicy hops of front, moving to piney hops with a toasty grain malt, finish of light caramel and grapefruit
M - medium lighter feel, pleasantly bitter
D - very flavourful and goes down extremely easy, this is very sessionable

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

355ml Can - Thanks Swedes21!

Appearance - Clear amber/orange colour with an above average size frothy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - malts, caramel, grapefruit, hops, pine, cookies

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and the beer feels a little thin on the palette. There are lots of malts mixed with caramel and cookies. There are also notes of grapefruit, hops, and pine. The beer is a little bit more on the malty side than the fruity side however. It finishes with a lingering hop aftertaste.

Drink - I was really impressed with this one.. I'm not sure if it was due to the fact that it's in a can, but it reminded me a little bit of a Dale's Pale Ale, which I also really enjoy. It also reminded me a bit of a DFH 60min. It's well worth seeking out and it I wish it would make its way to the retail shelves of Ontario.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance - clear gorgeous coper colour, good carbonation in the middle of the glass, nice foamy off-white head, some good retention and nice lacing.

Smell - smell explosion! hops, caramel, earthy tones and the signature piney! Very good smelling beer, really well balanced.

taste - i can pick up some citrus, hops and malts. very defined and well tasting beer. there is some bitterness near the end as well.

mouthfeel - lots of bitterness added here from the citrus and hops. good lasting tasting beer, was very impressed with the dynamics behind this beer.

drinkability - what a great tasting beer, from tasting to bitterness, wish i had more!

3.48/5  rDev -18.1%

Thanks to bauermj for this off my wants list.

Can to a perfect pint. I think I can make out the numbers "10510" printed on the bottom of the can. Perhaps its canned on 10/5/10. I kinda hope not.
A- The beer is somewhere between clear and hazy. It has a slight foggy appearance to the rich orange coloration. The head is on the small side with average retention of chunky pads of floating foam. 'Here and there' lacing.

S- Fairly malty with a sturdy doughy, crackery base. Hops are piney and very dense smelling. It smells like its going to be oily and resinously bitter.

T- There is a good balance kicked off by the doughy malt base. Pine comes in ushering some orange rind along with it.

M- Insanely dry. I mean very, very dry. This is the driest finishing IPA, hands down. It makes for an easy drinking beer. It keeps the beer tasting clean and quenching.

This doesnt have me convinced. Perhaps this can was from October, or perhaps this IPA isnt my style. Its good, not great. Certainly just above average.
____

Second consideration of a can given to me by AleWatcher.

S- Lots of pine with an undercurrent of tropical citrus. Crackery malt is strong.

T- Juicy up front with plenty of orange candy and light malts. Then comes the pine. Lots and lots of pine give this beer a healthy bitterness that can get quite formidable. The finish has a really nice floral and citrus explosion to it. The aftertaste is very bitter and long lasting, but thankfully it avoids most of the medicinal stuff, its very much loaded with pine resin though.

The first can I had had to have been a bit too old. This one caused me to alter my score slightly. Good stuff.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Appearance: golden orange with a 2 finger white head

smell: citrus, floral, hops,

Taste: citrus, hops, bitter after taste

Mouthfeel: mild carbonation, crisp

Drinkability: What a great IPA. So not expecting this out of Canada. Would like to get some more. Enjoyed tremendously.

Cheers,

The CPJ

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just couldn't pass up this cute little can of beer, and now I'm glad I didn't.

It pours a hazy deep amber body beneath a short head of white foam. The head drops steadily, but it continually maintains a creamy collar along the rim; and it leaves nice splashes and small patches of spotty lace about the glass as it goes.

The nose is really hoppy, loaded with Cascade! Pineapple, grapefruit, orange peel, resins! I also pick up some apple-like fruitiness, some bready/biscuity malt, a hint of dried pine or spruce, some floral character, and a bit of leafiness as well (I'm not sure whether that's coming from the hops, or perhaps a combination of the malt and hops).

In the mouth it's medium bodied and gently crisp. It seems to be 'can conditioned', but I'm not sure. The bubbles are certainly quite fine.

The flavor delivers a really nicely balanced combination of caramelish malt and citrusy and softly piney hops. The pineapple character of the Cascades is brightened a bit by the apple-like yeasty fruitiness; and that seems well threaded throughout the maltiness. It's really well-combined and balanced. Quite often with a beer like this you'll get a hit of hops followed by maltiness, a smack of bitterness, and then a dry hoppy finish - but this is much more focused and put together. There are more hops at the front, for sure, but the malt is still always there; and it finishes the same way except that the hops become much more leafy. There's also no harsh bump of bitterness to it, instead it just rises to its high point just before the swallow, and then gently drops down and recedes in the finish. Nicely done!

Overall, I quite enjoyed it. It reminds me of "real ale", and a hoppy one at that. If you enjoy hops it's really quite drinkable. Fresh and flavorful - well worth seeking out!

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Review adapted from notes taken 2/22/2010
Slightly updated 4/5/13, now "Red Betty"

Appearance: Nice amber/orange color with a quality head, keeps some wisps of lacing, leaves some spots of lacing

Smell: Citrus and herbal hops - grapefruit flesh, and some grassy/herbal notes - some nice caramel malts in the background - nicely balanced overall

Taste: Above average, but certainly not mind-blowing - some grapefruit, some orange - herbal and grassy notes - the hop profile is great, very bitter with a nice bite - also some herbal, spicy, earthy dryness to the taste - malts are caramel and bready - nicely balanced

Mouthfeel: Medium-ish body, nicely crisp, surprisingly creamy and chewy

Overall: Very drinkable - not exactly a palate-buster

I think it is possible that my can was past the peak of its freshness. I don't exactly see this beer around too often, so I don't know. I may have to just go to Canada. Regardless, this is good stuff.

Update: 4/5/13
I still don't see why people rave about this beer. It's definitely better than average, and it has a very uniquely nice hop profile, but mind mind remains unblown. I did actually bump up the overall to a 3.75, which is probably what I would have put originally.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewing