Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewing

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

(Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
monkjuice

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

355mL can, poured into my Bell's pint glass. I usually smoke down copious amounts of Two Hearted from this pint glass. I love Two Hearted.

A: Really nice coppery-amber colour that pours with a 1cm head. The head dissipates to a white film on top, but light lacing persists the whole way down.

S: Smell is the most powerful sense attached to memory, and I'm definitely in two of my favourite places here. Back at my Grandpa's "winter" trailer in Central Florida, somewhere near a citrus grove. And about 50 yards left of the 11th fairway at some random golf course in the Carolinas, hitting a chip-out 7-iron off of the pine needles. I fuckin' love beer.

T: Exactly what I want in an IPA. The hops are the star of the show, with great bittering, flavour, and aroma characteristics coming through. Citrus zest and coniferous sap abound. The malt backbone is there, but only in the BACKground, as it should be.

M: Just the right amount of carbonation to wake up my tastebuds for the flavour "knee to the nuts" they're about to receive. Smooth.

D: Most good IPA's have me waking up in the morning feeling as though someone tried to asphyxiate me with a rag soaked in turpentine, especially if I have more than one. I smoked down five of these bad boys during a spirited game of euchre. Woke up at 7am, with no trace of Red Racer left behind. Bravo.

Note. I just had a Two Hearted after finishing a Red Racer, and I can honestly say that Red Racer is AT LEAST as good. At this level, we're comparing a Mercedes to a BMW. They're both great, both deserving of any praise they receive. If I had a gun to my head, and I had to choose a favourite, it'd be Red Racer, by a nose.

10-31-2010 23:05:54 | More by monkjuice
StJamesGate

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours pale hazy amber-gold with a stiff, rocky head that leaves solid creamy sheets. Sinus clearing resin, orange and skunk nose - I'd be hard pressed to know I was sniffing fresh Centennial hops. Lemon sorbet and papaya malts - just enough to balance, the hops are trying to poke through from the start - with dueling pine, grapefruit and pineapple hops. Lingering citrus bitterness. Light to medium, creamy, soft and round, no burn.

Never seen every single angle of the C-hops working so well in the same beer. Brings hefty hops in both flavor and IBUs, yet somehow drinks as light as SNPA.

Reputation deserved - a bit of a wonder in a can.

10-30-2010 19:56:27 | More by StJamesGate
BeerAndBourbon

3.53/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from blinded tasting notes.

A. Pours orange with a creamy white head that leaves bits of residual lacing.

S. Smells of orange and lemon peels.

T. Tropical flavors with lemon peel and caramel malt.

M. Medium body with medium carbonation - not nearly as carbonated as the other IPAs in the round (Sculpin, Stone).

D. Not carbonated enough nor hoppy enough for an IPA.

10-28-2010 03:07:42 | More by BeerAndBourbon
mrnobody

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

12oz. can poured into an oversized tulip.

A: Pours a hazy orange/amber with 3 fingers of fluffy white head which leaves behind ample sticky lacing.

S: Tropical fruit and pine.

T: Pine, grapefruit, passion fruit. The finish is pure piney bitterness but it does not linger unpleasantly.

M: Perfect for the style: medium body, adequate carbonation.

D: Gimme another! ;)

Definitely the best single IPA in Canada. Probably my favourite overall but I have not tried that many from the US.

10-24-2010 20:47:05 | More by mrnobody
HitokiriNate85

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Found this at my favorite bottle shop today and snagged a can since I've heard so many good things.

A - Copper-gold hue with a frothy head that faded to a thin layer in less than a minute. Great clarity. Sparse carbonation.

S - Pine and grapefruit, but it's very pungent and dank. There's some pale malt behind everything. No noticeable caramel, which is nice for a change.

T - Grapefruit pith with a big pine-y burst. Bitterness is on the low end for the style. The hops are really flavor forward, with a light, backing pale malt sweetness. The finish is mostly pine.

MF - Slighty dry with a really light feel to it. It has some body, but the carbonation works really well to keep it feeling light.

D - It drinks a lot more like an APA than an IPA. There's little sweetness, but it still isn't all that dry. Lots of hop flavor but not a ton of bitterness. If I could get this regularly and at a decent price, I'd drink it pretty often.

10-24-2010 02:31:49 | More by HitokiriNate85
SamuelJackson45

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Nice medium to even yellow in color.

S- hops hops hops. citrus notes.

T- A nice hoppy taste not to bold but just right. Citrus fruity notes.

M- less dry and creamy for a ipa.

D- Different with red racer. I think using the same approach to there pale ale but just dump alot of hops to make there ipa. But it works.

Cheers..

10-19-2010 16:21:00 | More by SamuelJackson45
TurdFurgison

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

I picked up a six pack from Julio's in Massachusetts, $12.99. Pricier than expected but I've had an eye out for this for nearly a year so I grabbed it.

It pours a dark golden color, more orange than golden, with a dense, solid foam. Lots of lacing too. The aroma is just what I'd hoped for, very citrus-forward with grapefruit and orange, also some pine sap, all the great things hops can do. A bit of caramel malt to balance it, which is sort of a shame per my preferences but works sometimes.

The beer tastes really good, the hops are expressed more with flavor than bitterness, although the bitterness IS there. Grapefruit, pine needle, etc. Not enough caramel malt to cause problems, but then again this is a 6.5% ABV construction. I suspect if Central City made a DIPA it would be the barleywine type but luckily this IPA is just fine.

Good carbonation and body, altogether a worthwhile treat. The only real complaint is cost, I can't say it's really better than Two Hearted or several from Lagunitas, all of which can be had for $9-10 per sixer. But I guess it matches the difficulty to find the beer.

10-17-2010 12:08:29 | More by TurdFurgison
mdaschaf

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A: Pours a clear amber color with a nice off white, one finger head. Head dissipated to a nice layer of bubbles on the top and down the sides as I drank.

S: Lots of citrus on the nose, some grapefruit and pineapple, really nice hop aroma.

T: Very refreshing, more hops here with the grapefruit and pineapple dominating. Slightly bitter finish, leaves a sticky feeling.

M/D: Medium bodied with nice carbonation. Extremely easy drinking, this was a great beer. I wish I had bought a few more cans.

10-14-2010 01:45:21 | More by mdaschaf
mirish72

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked this up in a mixed sixer from Julio's after wanting to try it for a while. Poured into a goblet, this thing is a hop bomb, lots of awesome piney aroma going on here. Copper color, real crisp with a sharp bite. This is definitely a great IPA, especially since I know I harbor some secret bias against craft beer in cans. Definitely worth picking up.

10-12-2010 02:27:18 | More by mirish72
hoser

Alberta (Canada)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My go to IPA the last summer probably about the 100th can I have had. Yeah it is balanced towards hops but I don't care it is a rip snortin IPA in a can that is awesome. Have had it on tap and I rocks there to.My go to IPA the last summer probably about the 100th can I have had. Yeah it is balanced towards hops but I don't care it is a rip snortin IPA in a can that is awesome. Have had it on tap and I rocks there to.

10-09-2010 06:44:55 | More by hoser
Masterson

District of Columbia

Poured slowly into a pint glass from a 12oz can.

This beer is nicely carbonated. It has excellent hop character and aroma that is very well balanced with the malt bill. This an incredibly well-rounded flavorful west-coast style IPA that is very easy to drink.

I would keep a 6-er of this in the fridge if I could find it again!

10-02-2010 23:32:19 | More by Masterson
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

A 12 oz. can ~ 1 of 2 brought to Portland by BanditBrewingCo... how crazy that a Boston-area BA brings this British Colombian brew practically back home. Surrey is just 300 mi. north of here... Poured to a pint glass.

Eye-catching can design: lots of contrasting red and green, a burly criser bike ridden by a lovely lass, red hair and skirt a-flyin' against a squiggly backdrop of hop cones and leaves. She's hot. A keeper.

A: Popped the top and...a GUSHER! Ivory foam builds rapidly, an oozing eruption from the can; fortunately I caught nearly every drop. Cloudy, unfiltered complexion in a chestnut/auburn pour; a few small flecks of fallout rest at the bottom of the glass. Decent carbonation, but of any great strength or abundance. Lace as thick and white as the stockings worn by the girl on the can...sorry, I really can't stop looking at the label.

S: Piney hops pop from the glass at first...the aroma wafts from 3' feet away where the glass sat on the table. Scent subsides and becomes more 'musty grain' and duller hops, still good strength just not as enticing.

T: Wow! Now, that's an IPA: big caramel malt and pine tree resin and peppery spice to match. Green salad herbs, cut grass, plenty of pithy rind bitterness that tingles like an Arizona grapefruit. For all the brutishness of the hops, malts work deftly to balance - a little candy sweetness in the finish amidst the greenness.

M: A mouthwatering coating of hop oils gives this a 'juicy' feel; medium body and crisp carbonation. A little slick, then a lasting bitter finish.

D: Wonderful IPA, captures the 'Northwest Style' with a not-so-brash bitterness that falls well within the range of IPAs I enjoy.

10-02-2010 00:10:52 | More by msubulldog25
HighGravityHG

British Columbia (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance - Copper-amber color, medium carbonation, one finger head, retention in my cleanest glass shows each sip I took long after the fact. Very clear.

Smell - Possibly biscuity, the hops really overwhelm the malt though. Hops have a leafy/grassy smell. No estery aromas.

Taste - Much stronger than the aroma, bitterness is high, the four varieties of hops used create a complex taste that goes bitter, medium intensity, then a slight sweet or mild taste at the end that holds on. It does not hold on for a week like their Winter Ale. (Maybe having it 7 days/week last year was not normal consumption)

Mouthfeel - Excellent mouthfeel, swirl it around and enjoy. Just right for the style, body is there but does not take over.

Drinkability - This is my favorite IPA, and in terms of taste I would rate it A+ overall as this is what makes it really stand out. I have no idea how this review will score it, but I signed up with BA in order to rate this delicious beer from my hometown. I have to admit I've had several gallons of this in growlers, so if you are in the Vancouver area you would be better to stop in to fill up a growler or two as I noticed their best beers are not in cans. This is the IPA I use as a standard when I experiment with creating my own IPA's at home.

Although this is my home town beer I would still recommend actually coming out to the brewpub to try most of what they have to offer. Like the reviews of the pub say, some staff couldn't care about the quality of beer, and some recognize it for what its worth, but trying everything on tap is an awesome night out. Sunday special with 1/2 price pizza and $3.50 pints is great.

Serving type: growler

09-29-2010 08:05:41 | More by HighGravityHG
Jayli

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Acquired from TheManiacalOne so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a hazy caramel color with a one finger of creamy, white head. Head recedes quickly leaving spots of sticky lacing.

S: Nose is big piney and citrus hops with a nice light caramel malt hint.

T: Taste starts with a nice bitter pine hops flavoring. A bit of bite from floral hop notes that is evened out with a caramel malt flavoring. Bitterness somewhat hangs on in the back of your throat.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, creamy body with a sticky finish.

D: Goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, nice representation of style. This is an IPA worth sitting with for a while.

09-25-2010 01:12:24 | More by Jayli
twelvsies

Maine

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

I'm pretty excited to try this beer. It's been around for a while in my neck of the woods, and I've overlooked it until now. I don't know why... I like canned beers, I love IPAs, but for some reason this one never appealed to me until I heard a bunch of hubbub. Let's see how it stacks up...

Nice even pour out of the can, crystal clear and almost fizzy with bubbles, bright and brassy. The aroma is deep into hop territory - definite grapefruit rind (yes!) and other citrus, almost a hint of cilantro. A good sign. And yes, it tastes delicious. Citrus hop profile, nice and bitter but not as biting or brash as I had expected. Lots of grapefruit, resiny, oily, real tasty. Malt is hiding somewhere. As nice as the hoppy feel good flavor is, I'm almost more impressed with the texture of this beer. It's just so dang light on the palate, airy and joyously quaffable. Not that it lacks body, and some IPAs are great with a chewy mouthfeel, but this is almost like an uber-hopped pale ale or something. Crisp like a lager, and like I said it's crystal clear. I'd love to try an unfiltered version (?) of this sometime to see the difference.

A totally awesome IPA. Would drink again. And again.

09-23-2010 01:40:58 | More by twelvsies
cvaypai

Wisconsin

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from can into NB globe. Thanks to Vince for this one.

Appearance - Pours an extremely hazy golden orange, not translucent by any means and has no sediment. Pours with a 1 finger frothy white head that dissipates quickly and leaves a nice lacing all the way around the glass.

Smell - This is definitely an IPA. Tons of citrus hops, huge grapefruit presence along with some honey and pine. A tiny bit of earthy smells combine with some sweet caramel sweetness and a little bit of bready malts.

Taste - In the taste it seems some of the citrus is lost but there is still a great citrus rind flavor followed by some pine and a good amount of earthy hops and spicy hops combined. This is a great tasting beer, albeit a bit different. The malt is great, the sweetness isn't really there but you can find some bready and rye malt on the end. Great bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - This one is very smooth with a great bitter bite. A nice weight, great body and near perfect carbonation, this one almost hits it out of the park in terms of mouthfeel.

Drinkability - A few cans could be drank easily, I would attempt a 6. It seems like it could get a bit overbearing, but I would try anyway. Great beer.

09-20-2010 01:02:07 | More by cvaypai
ballz50401

Iowa

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 12oz. can (code? D1910) into a Sam Adams perfect pint. Thanks to IdrinkGas for the trade.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, murky brownish/orange with a cream colored soapy head. Fades to a thin sheet with little retention. Carbonation looks good.

Smell: Bold hop aroma. Strong pine and citrus. Hop aroma quicky subsides to caramel, toffee, and biscuit.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet malty flavors of creamy caramel/toffee, dark fruits, and pine resin. Mouthfeel is silky smooth with a full body and a prickly hop bitterness that finishes dry, begging for more.

Drinkabiliy: Very easy to drink. A nice caramel backbone to this. Very balanced and tasty.

09-19-2010 05:05:32 | More by ballz50401
Seanibus

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

Wow, I am totally swimming against the stream here. This is far from the consensus "A" my fellow BAs have awarded it, in my view. This is a perfectly adequate IPA, but no better.

Pours a mildly hazy golden with a medium head. The aroma is fruity, a little spicy hop, but mostly smells of syrupy malt. The flavor is malty and a little earthy. The hops are flowery but overripe. There is a little sunny quality - lemony, some golden raisin. But the malt is syrupy, like a high-end homebrew. The mouthfeel is a syrupy.

09-18-2010 23:42:50 | More by Seanibus
BBP

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Hop orangish brown. Small amount of carbo and head.

S- As soon as I opened it I knew it was a solid IPA. Notes of grapefruit and pine came out as well as a little bit of citrus. It's more or less what I'd like to smell in all IPA's.

T- Bittersweet the whole way through. Solid hops and solid malt, but I found the malt took the lead more than I'd like. The hops we're definitely there though, and left a great aftertaste. I think I detected some notes of pear in it as well.

M- Medium-full, moreso than I'd expect for a 6.5% IPA, and good carbonation feel on the tongue. A slight tingle of alcohol which was enjoyable.

D- What I expect from an IPA, but not too much more than that. Hit's the spot, and I would buy this frequently if it was more available.

09-18-2010 19:50:49 | More by BBP
stonermouse

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Straight out of the can, then another poured into a Sam Adams glass.

The pour was surprisingly nice considering it glugged out of a can. It set up with a nice, thick foamy head that stuck around for the first third of the beer, and replenishes nicely as you go.

The smell was great. If you've ever picked hops from the vine, you'll recognize the smell right away. The scent is extremely reminiscent of raw, unadulterated hops, which is pretty cool. The best part is, the can traps the smell nicely, so you can keep the can around while you're drinking and take some sweet, hoppy whiffs.

The taste mirrors the hop smell. If you could liquefy raw cascade hops, they would taste like this. Fruity, sweet, slightly bitter. Just delicious.

The constantly-replenishing head makes this a smooth drinker, although I would recommend pouring it to maximize the enjoyment of the foam.

Of course, because this sucker is in a can, drinkability is off the charts. It tastes great coming out of the can, even if you can't conveniently pour it.

All-around phenomenal beer. I'm pumped it's made its way out to MA.

09-17-2010 19:08:07 | More by stonermouse
Ralphus

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

An IPA in a can? My first was Keith's - laugh. This is my second and what an IPA it is!

Pours a crystal clear orange color with golden highlights. The head is large, pillowy and descends with ample lacing down the side of the glass. Nicely done. I'm not sure what more you could want in the looks department except for a slightly more attractive color.

The smell is fairly tame with some soft malts and pine but at the same time you know you are in for a great beer as so many well done IPAs smell just like this.

The taste is an extremely well balanced blend of pine, grapefruit hops combined with sweet caramel malts. Its shockingly well balanced to my palate. My only criticism is that it's not terribly complex... but don't let that stop you!

For the mouthfeel is silky smooth and despite the beers lack of complexity in nose and palate - what it does do - it does exceptionally well. The beer goes down in gulps. Another can (and I only have 23 left) is in the works.

09-17-2010 01:19:51 | More by Ralphus
thetomG

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Nice but somewhat typical orange/amber mostly clear colored pour with a bit of white head.

Aroma is mild but pleasant - piney hops dominate here.

Flavor is much more bold with very strong tasty bitterness coming through big time with a nice hint of citrus around the edges. Definitely a bit of a tongue bruiser, but not overpowering. The carbonation level is excellent.

Would definitely drink this again. A really excellent example of on IPA. Tasty!

09-16-2010 00:12:42 | More by thetomG
WeedKing4

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Can pours a slightly dark, clear copper orange with a decent amount of foam using the sam adams perfect pint glass. Lots of little bubbles fizzing to the top too. Tastes very bitter with a nice citrus/floral hop taste to it. Drinks down pretty smooth and would have no issue making a 6 pack disappear pretty quickly. Glad I finally got to try this one.

09-11-2010 00:21:39 | More by WeedKing4
klikger

Wisconsin

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can poured into a Goose Island IPA tulip glass. Courtesy of Casey10 - thanks again, man!

A - Medium-dark amber and cloudy, with a massive white head leaving behind excellent lace trails.

S - Tons of floral hops joined with notes of lemon, grapefruit, and caramel.

T - Grapefruit juice blended with a flower garden...aromatic, tart, and awesome. Perfect amount of caramel maltiness to stand up to the hop barrage. Finish is simultaneously (and deliciously) malty and bitter enough to please.

M - Pretty substantial for an IPA; well-carbonated, lively, and crisp.

D - Oh yes - this is about as good a balanced IPA as I've had.

What a beer...seriously challenges Furious for being the best IPA in a can. Superb stuff; I can't wait to have it again.

09-08-2010 22:32:56 | More by klikger
TheSevenDuffs

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh can courtesy of H1N1 with a bottled on date of 7/27/10

Enjoyed at Volo
Didn't see a brewed on date but the number stamped on the bottoms was B2310, so perhaps Feb 23rd, 2010?

A -A nice bright orange colour, slightly hazy. Half finger of bubbly white head.

S - The nose if bursting with citrus and floral hops. There are hints of grapefruit, orange and tropical fruit. This is probably the most robust and fresh nose I have ever experienced in an IPA.

T - Bitter hops up front with floral and citrus notes. The hops are bursting with juicy grapefruit and orange flavours and taste so fresh. There is also a nice malt balance providing a sweetness that really rounds out this beer perfectly. Some bitterness lingers in the finish. A well balanced IPA.

M - Medium body. Lightly carbonated.

D - This ranks right up there with the best IPAs in the world.

---

Previous review from 7-31-10 from a can had at Volo in Toronto. Bottled on date of Feb 23, 2010, so this was 5 months old at the time of the review.

4.5 / 4.0 / 4.5 / 4.5 / 4.5