Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 988 | Reviews: 469
4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

This fine brew was an extra in a recent trade with mikesgroove. (Thanks man!) Enjoyed in a nonic pint glass.

Appearance:
The color is deep gold tinged with orange, and it is slightly hazy. The foam on top is snowy white and doesn't leave much lacing. Head retention is low.

Smell:
A great start! I opened this one on a counter at waist-height, and I immediately smelled a good gust of tropical and citrusy hops. Lots of grapefruit and orange peel and pine up front, along with notes of fresh papaya and pineapple. There's some bready and malty sweetness too, but it's far behind the hops.

Taste:
Starts with flavors of oranges and sweet bread, like an orange muffin. A big wave of citrus hop flavor and bitterness comes through next, filled with notes of grapefruit, dried papaya, and pine sap. The tropical fruitiness and pine give way to a tasty biscuit-y maltiness at the swallow, though the citrus and bitterness persist through the end and into the aftertaste. This is a terrific example of a West Coast-leaning American IPA: very hop-forward, but with enough malt to keep it from being one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel:
Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Starts crisp, goes smooth through the middle, and ends with a mild and drying astringency which begs for the next sip.

Drinkability:
I wish I had a lot more of this beer. Partly because I'd love to stack it up against some of the West Coast's best IPA's in a blind taste test, and partly because this is a fantastic IPA which I'd love to drink again. And again. Central City Brewing should be extremely proud of this one. I'm about to go add it to my Wants list.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Got this as an extra in a trade with jlindros. I was immediately entranced by the lovely lady on the can and decided to make this my first review of my haul.
Good looking pour with a generous white head which subsides into a collar and leaves decent lacing on the glass.
Citrus scented hops are the most prominent feature of the aromas and hops are the most prominent feature of the taste as one would expect. However the hops not completely over the top and a nice bit of sweet malt and some biscuit/crackerlike malt mixes in. This is a very pleasing synthesis of hops and malt without one totally obliterating the other.
Moderately carbonated mouthfeel, and VERY easy to drink.
Most of my experiences with Canadian beer outside of Quebec province have not been exactly scintillating, but this is a very respectable example of an American IPA(IPeh), and the more I drink the better it gets.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a can into my Southern Tier pint glass. Pours a golden amber color wit ha one finger fluffy white head. The head slowly faded to a thin white covering but left excellent lacing on the glass. A very good looking beer as I drank the glass.

Aroma is floral and citrusy, pretty much all hops in the aroma. very good smelling beer if you like hops. Taste is floral and citrusy up front with a moderate bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good. I could drink this all night, it's hoppy but not overly bitter or malty making it easy drinking.

Reminds me a lot of some of the best west coast hoppy beers. Would definitely purchase this frequently if available.

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Deep orange/copper color with a full sturdy white head.

Terrific hop aroma with loads of citrus.

The taste I look for in an IPA with grapefruit, piney, grassy but some balancing maltiness.

Mouthfeel is very good.

Drinkability is where this beer will shine. I can only imagine how many I could drink of this beer without any feeling of too much of a good thing.

What a great beer. I think this beer stacks up with my favourite Surly Furious. At first I doubted the hype...now I am a believer.

I tried 18 different IPA's last week in a tasting but not the Red Racer. This would have been the pick of the litter!

Taking a 24 back home to Sask with me.

Tully's in Wells just started carrying this and the Pale Ale. I liked this IPA a lot, so will definitely be getting the Pale Ale. In a pint glass it was a golden color with a thick wghite head. The head dissipated quickly, leaving some nice lacing. It had a citrus arom, and just a hint of flowers. Grapefruit taste, little bit of resiny pine, with a nice malt background. Not a hop bomb, still on the assertive side. Good Beer.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Believe the hype this is one nice beer from a can no less. Picked up at Wholefoods in Portland, Me then picked up some more at Bootleggers in Thopsham, Me

A - Nice hazy orange with a a white head with some lacing on the glass.

S - Floral, citruis, grapefruit some pine.

T - Orange comes through nicely, again more hops at 6.5 not bad at all.

M - Again leaves that sort of bittering feel when you have a really nice ipa that stays with you after a sip.

D - So greatful my local store has this will be on the regular rotation wonderfully done!!

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A-Pours a clear copper golden with a nice off white head and a little bit of lacing.

S-A wonderful citrus and pine hoppiness with a bit of sweet malt underneath. A great aroma!

T-Citrus hops and sweet malt in a very nice balance. Tatsy.

M-Medium bodied, crisp and a bit dry.

D-Excellent. Not sure how a beer from Vancouver wound up at Julio's in MA, but I am sure glad it did!

HV

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

1910 - Smith's Glyco-Heroin cough mixture becomes a best-selling cold remedy.

1929 - Coca Cola end a thirty-year practice of fortifying their soda drink with cocaine extract.

2010 - Central City Brewing finally admit their IPA is brewed primarily from crack and jelly-beans?

This is a beautiful golden IPA with gentle carbonation. It smells like candied hops, the usual citrus spectrum, and mulled tropical fruit. The bitterness/sweetness balance is exemplary, resulting in an uncomplicated yet alluring brew. It is suspiciously wonderful. I think I finally understand the unfiltered exuberance with which toddlers behold SunnyD. Get some.

4.62/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear copper color with a foamy white head that leaves a little lacing. The aroma is dominated by the intense smell of citrusy hops, with a touch of sweet honey. This has got to be the best smell of any IPA I've tried so far. The taste is dominated by the hops as well. Grapefruit with a bit of pine. Leaves a bitter aftertase, although the bitterness is not too over the top. Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Overall this is great stuff, one of the best Canadian beers out there!

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%

Received in a trade with wordemupg.

G: Pint Glass

A: Dark orange body, one inch of white head with pour retention, leaves fine lacing.

S: Very strong hops and citrus fruits. I can pick out grapefruit and orange, but the others just blend together.

T: Strong grapefruit aroma, along side with pine and orange. Faint caramel notes in the end.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation. It's smooth and creamy around the mouth. There is a distinct pine-bitterness that lingers in the mouth for a very long time.

D: I'm very glad I received this beer in a trade. It's an exceptional IPA and I wish I had local access to it. It's very easy to drink minus the (very) strong bitter/hoppy finish.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass from a can. Cool looking design on the label, has a vintage 1950's look. The beer pours a yellow/amber color with very good clarity, only the slightest haze. Has a large white foamy head with no two bubbles the same size, very good lacing to it. Hops dominate the smell on this IPA, I smelled it from the can before pouring it and citrus hops attacked my nose as it warms up I believe I can detect a piney aroma as well. The taste is maybe just under par of the smell, but still quite good. Kind of one of those flavors where I wish I could give it a "4.25." Much like the smell it is the citrus hops that stand out to me. However I feel this is a very reasonably malted IPA because the initial taste is sweet. Again as it warms up the taste of pine is detected, but it also leaves an earthy taste that brings the flavor scale down only slightly. Mouthfeel is good, feels lighter than I expected, good bitter finish from the hops. Probably the most drinkable IPA I've had in quite some time. I'm giving the drinkablility a perfect 5, but this was a change in pace of what I'm normally drinking this time of year. IPA's are my summer stand by so I'd like to get more in the summer and maybe tweek this a little now that I think about it.

PS- Thanks to John from Granite Liquors on this one!

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Served from12oz. can, obtained via trade as an extra with jlindros (thanks man!), into my Stone Levitation glass (11/23/09) at an appropriate temperature. I had never heard of this beer, but I am certainly glad that I have been introduced to it.

A: Pours a fairly clear golden yellow with a slight orange hue capped off by a thick and frothy 2 finger head that stuck around for the duration of the beer. Very nice thick lacing is left on the inside of the glass.

S: WOW! Definitely the best smelling canned IPA (or canned beer for that matter) I have ever experienced and certainly one of the best smelling American IPAs period. As soon as the can was cracked, the citrusy hops exploded with lushes tones of orange marmalade, flowers, grapefruit, tropical fruit, lemon, pine, with slight malty backbone.

T: The hop flavors continue onto the palate with citrusy layers of grapefruit, orange marmalade, orange zest, and pine. A slight caramel malt rounds out this delicious American IPA. There is just a slight bitterness to the finish which nicely cleanses the palate.

M: Medium-bodied with nice creamy carbonation and very smooth.

D: Exceptionally drinkable and the flavors are so rich and fresh with no hint whatsoever of the 6.5% abv.

Overall this beer was a great surprise and a generous extra that came completely out of left field and completely wowed me. If you see this beer anywhere, anytime, do yourself a favor a pick up as many as you can. Thanks again Jared for introducing me to this exceptional American IPA. Highly Recommended.

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Central City: Red Racer IPA (Tasted 11/30/09)
12 oz. can, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazed gold with a monstrous off-white head of sea foam that leaves rings of lace on the sides of the pint glass as it fades, solid half-inch of residual head.
Odor: Damn. White grapefruit with a healthy dose of waxy rind, orange and some spice from the hops. Low riding crystal malt aroma melds perfectly with the hops, lending a a rich candied pineapple background scent. A little subdued for style, but what it lacks in intensity, it more than makes up for with variety.
Consistency: High end of light bodied, bordering on medium. Hop oils and low carbonation make for an ultra clean, smooth drinking experience.
Flavor: The aroma is very telling. Mouth full of C-hops, grapefruit. pine orange. Once again, the light honeylike/candied malt gives a sweetish, tropical fruit dimension to the hop flavor. Bitterness is firm, obviously going above and beyond balancing the malt. Finish is clean, hops dominate, leaving a light coating of bitter oily goodness on the tongue.

Man, it's expectional IPA's like this that make me smile. It's a hop bomb alright, it's unbalanced, but the beer isn't dry or sweet to the point of absurdity. Glad this is available in MA and in cans no less! Paired with spicy "all the leftovers fit to simmer turkey stew".

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

12oz can(!) obtained at Whole Foods in Portland, Maine. Pours a hazy golden amber body with nearly an inch of slowly dissipating off-white head that leaves a good bit of lacing on the side of the glass. Smells intensely hoppy, with citrus (lemon to grapefruit), pith, pine, mint, herb, and just enough caramel and chocolate malt to balance. Tastes very citrussy, lemon and a bit of grapefruit particularly come to mind, with some pith herb, zest... Malt is there but only in the background, though it's fairly pleasant and pronounced with notes of toffee, coffee, and chocolate toward the finish. Medium bodied with moderate to ample carbonation. A really easy-drinker, this beer is disappearing faster than I'd like it to. A pleasant surprise! A top-notch IPA right up there with the best ones from south of the border (US). Well worth the buy if you can find it, I'll definitely be picking this one up again. Yum!

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz can! Consumed 11/29/09
A) Pours with a big bubbled head. Slowly settles. Lacing is semi-sticky, creamy and beige in color. The body is transparent. Upward carbonation. Copper in color.
S) Cascade hop aroma. Grapefruit. Peach. Orange. Little caramel sweetness.
T) Caramel and orange sweetness up front. Then moves to a nutty and earthy mix with the hop bite. The finish is pleasant and the caramel malt and hop bite stay balanced in the aftertaste and beyond.
M) Mild fizziness. Medium body. Crisp yet fairly smooth.
D) A great IPA and from a CAN! I'd definitely have another and spread the gospel about this brew.

Can: Poured an amber color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of hops is pretty intense with bitter and citrus notes clearly identified. Taste is a great mix between some citrus and bitter hops with a good caramel malt backbone. Body is a bit thin for style with good carbonation. Well done and would stand well within some of the staple of the style.

4.49/5  rDev +5.6%

Received via trade with kmurray8621...thanks once again Kevin for another great beer. Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour gives a somewhat rocky, but foamy, off-white 1.5 finger head. Great amber/gold color. Head recedes to a thin layer on top and ridiculous lacing.

Smell: Overwhelming aroma of grape fruit. And I mean that in the best way possible. Strong pine notes. Very resinous. This rivals Pliny the Elder, no lie. I put the aroma of this beer up there with the best IPA's and even some of the best DIPA's.

Taste: Holy cow! Grapefruit. Pine and orange peel too, but grapefruit is the dominant flavor of this beer. A decent malt backbone, but the hops never disappear. The bitterness about halfway through lasts through the finish and is second only to the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation that is subtle at first, but splashes all over the mouth right before you swallow. Bitterness lingers for literally minutes after the swallow if you give it that much time before another sip. Lingering hop oils coat your tongue, leaving a lasting grapefruit flavor.

Drinkability: Not very heavy, the malt backbone only exists as a very temporary balancing agent, and in no way weighs this beer down. If your a hop head, or can handle such oily and resinous hops, you could drink a few of these.

Pretty sure this is my first Canadian beer. And it gives me a new found respect for Canada. Great beer!

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Good starting head that leaves some ring lace. The liquid light amber and clear.

Strong pine-grapefruit citrusy aroma--like a true IPA.

This is a hop-lovers IPA, which says a lot given the nature of a typical IPA. I cannot detect any malt because the hop is the beginning, ending and aftertaste of the tasting. I'm speculating, but I think the bittering hop is one of the high-alpha kind. Still, it is tasting very fresh. Lighter body than expected.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

I am just thankful that I can buy this beer in Massachussetts. I would probably never buy this beer from looking at it on a shelf mixed with bottled of IPAS and DIPAs, but Damn. This is the best tasting HOP bomb (I prefer it to Hopslam and Hop Stoopid). For some it maybe a sipper, but for me it is highly drinkable, and the flavor is bold and non-stop. I took a sip and went to read a story to my daughter and could still feel the citrus flavors followed by a ripe grapefruit finish in my mouth.
I may plan a trip to BC, Canada just to try this on tap/growler. This beer is truly a winner from for any Hop Hound.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Pours a golden hue with a strong initial head with great lacing. Great aroma! Pinee, herbs..hops over the top...extremely inviting. Taste is pure hops with just enough backbone to keep it in check. Mouthfeel is puckery but not to distraction...great dry finish. For an IPA this is very drinkable..but beware...this is a sipper!

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

I am sorry but this is easily, easily one of the best IPA's I have ever had. Hands down. Served cold and poured from a can into a pint glass to enjoy with my lunch today in between cleaning out the garage, this one was consumed on 11/08/2009.

The pour was just wonderful. Clear as day with a rich orange tinted amber color that held together very well. Nice two inches of head on top quicky settled down to a thin film which thoroughly coating the entire inside of the glass to the point nothing could be seen inside. The I lean in for a whiff. Holy citrus knockout. This thing is a cannon of hops. Rich orange and tangerine notes lined with loads of pineapple and grapefruit. This is just insanely fresh. Even warming does nothing to depart from the super fresh hops that are just owning my face right now. Intense is not even the right word for it. Crisp and clean taste offers more of the same, just intense and crisp, hop flavor all over the place. Pineapple and grapefruit dominate, clean dry finish with super sticky resin like flavors, not an ounce of balance here and none needed.

Overall this was a beast of an IPA, that dare I say I liked better then most anything I have had from this country lately. Hands down this is unreal. Please go find this and send me a case, I have found my house beer.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Pour - Somewhere between amber and gold lies the color of this beer. Nice and clean with little bubbles streaming north to make a sticky, fluffy coat on top.

Aroma - Oh man, this is the stuff. Super fresh squeezed bitter grapefruit, ridiculously piney, resiny awesome hoppiness! It's all there. I could huff this stuff. Has to be one of the best smelling IPAs I've come across (can, bottle or tap) in a while.

Taste - Grapefruit! Wow. This is the most grapefruity beer I've ever had (including Pliny and Hop Stoopid). Super fresh hops, pine, some orange peel but more than anything this tastes like a fresh squeezed grapefruit with a bit of malty goodness thrown in for fun.

Overall - I'm blown away. I would have never thought that this beer came out of this can. Awesome stuff! I love these kinds of IPAs and am stoked I can get this here in New England. Also, this was my first beer from BC and it was excellent! I may need to go back and try the other two that Central Brewing is distributing here in MA.

Would I buy more of it? - Hell yeah! I am going back for another six-pack very soon. This could easily be my go to beer and I'd love it if I had an endless supply in my fridge.

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

355ml can poured into Unibroue glass nov2 2009

A crystal clear golden amber with a thumbs width of head after a hard pour. it has decent retention with a few rings of lace

S very nice almost like I'm smelling a glass of grapefruit and tangerine juice. I also pick up on a little bit of booze, pine and some caramel to go along with the floral citrus

T tastes as it smells with a little bit of malt to balance things out. very good example for this style and the best canned beer I can think of

M thick enough to please me but I'm wondering if a little more carbonation might help its cause

D smell and sip a few times and its gone, very nice beer and I wish I had more of it

one of if not the best Canadian IPA's I've ever tried with out doubt. I'm even more impressed by the fact it comes from a can, much less impressed by not finding it east of BC far as I know. drink this whenever you get the chance it's a winner

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a crystal clear golden amber with a quarter inch of head. Fairly good head retention and lacing throughout.

The aroma is fantastic, nice sweet pink grapefruit with a little caramel underneath and sweet fresh cut navel oranges. Nicely citrusy and sweet, only a hint of pine. Wow.

Central City nailed the style. Grapefruit flesh with a little rind and pine thrown in against a very subtle, very nuanced sweet malt backbone, but whereas the lack of a strong malt presence is normally a shortcoming for an IPA, it totally works here, as the hops are the star of the show and they're so deftly handled adding more malt would seem like cheating, if not ruin everything. Honestly, the bitterness is not overdone or underdone. It's spot on, really, and just as bitter as it needs to be. No more. No less. I can find no fault with it.

This is the best hopcentric beer brewed in Canada that I have ever tried--hell, it's better than 97% of the American brewed IPAs I have tried. So good.

Drinkability? If I could only drink one beer brewed in Canada it might very well be this.

Thanks to papat444 for so generously sharing this with me.

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Lost this review in one of the crashes, but found again thanks to Google cache.

Another great looking beer from a can. Can't wait to give this a try and see how it is. It just showed up for the first time at my store, so it should be pretty fresh. Poured into my oversized DFH snifter.

A: A large 2 finger thick but large bubble head slowly dissolves, very slowly, leaving a nice lacing. It's very clear toasted auburn brown and orange color that's still pretty light in color. The head really does show no signs of disappearing.

N: Wow, a big hop aroma hits you with this, as I hoped. Lots of heavy pine and citrus on this baby. I get a really fresh hop oil aroma that really makes me feel like I'm crushing fresh hops in my hands. Nice citrus, lots of grapefruit and tropical fruit aromas. I don't get much else on the aroma except lots of fresh earthy juicy hops and, well, nothing else.

T: I'm getting excited in anticipation for the first sip that we may have another really awesome IPA at my finger tips. And the sip is really interesting, but definitely delivers. It's not as traditional hop taste with ridiculous bitterness, it actually starts with, well, fresh hop taste. I really get the taste like I'm chewing on a fresh hop, not even pellets. I get a very piney hop oil and some citrus, as well as grapefruit and tropical fruit overall. No malt character at all and not much for bitterness up front. A nice juicy hop character starts to emerge after a few sips with a slight grapefruit and tropical fruit taste. A touch of sweetness up front also helps.

M: Sticky and oily like the hop oils. Pretty good carbonation to go with it.

F: Here is the bitterness. It's not overbearing with the bitterness, but just right I think. It finishes pretty dry but doesn't rip the water right from the cells in your mouth as some do. I still have a fresh hop taste in my mouth like I just finished chewing on a hop flower right off the vine. I feel like I should be out on the harvest while drinking this delicious concoction. Then, surprisingly, the bitterness and hop flavors just disappear. My mouth is ready and awaiting for the next taste or endeavor. That is, until I swallow again and the salivary glands seem to excrete more hops, I think this has just absorbed into my blood and my body is sweating it out.

Final thoughts: A great fresh hop taste IPA. I really can only describe it as biting on a fresh hop flower. It's gone some piney and slight citrus/tropical hop juice and lots of hop oil. No malt character. I can only describe the beer as a transport method for getting the fresh hop flowers from the vine to my taste buds and into my blood stream. I might have enjoyed a slight malt character with it, but this is a west coast style. I also love that it comes in a can. Tasty crack cans! Can't wait to try their other beers in their lineup.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers