Follow our progress ...

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) | Central City Brewers + Distillers

YOUR RATING = None |

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers
British Columbia, Canada | website

Style: American IPA

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

Added by canucklehead on 04-10-2009

Reviews: 480 | Ratings: 1,067
4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

Found this at my favorite bottle shop today and snagged a can since I've heard so many good things.

A - Copper-gold hue with a frothy head that faded to a thin layer in less than a minute. Great clarity. Sparse carbonation.

S - Pine and grapefruit, but it's very pungent and dank. There's some pale malt behind everything. No noticeable caramel, which is nice for a change.

T - Grapefruit pith with a big pine-y burst. Bitterness is on the low end for the style. The hops are really flavor forward, with a light, backing pale malt sweetness. The finish is mostly pine.

MF - Slighty dry with a really light feel to it. It has some body, but the carbonation works really well to keep it feeling light.

D - It drinks a lot more like an APA than an IPA. There's little sweetness, but it still isn't all that dry. Lots of hop flavor but not a ton of bitterness. If I could get this regularly and at a decent price, I'd drink it pretty often.

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%

Received via trade with kmurray8621...thanks once again Kevin for another great beer. Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour gives a somewhat rocky, but foamy, off-white 1.5 finger head. Great amber/gold color. Head recedes to a thin layer on top and ridiculous lacing.

Smell: Overwhelming aroma of grape fruit. And I mean that in the best way possible. Strong pine notes. Very resinous. This rivals Pliny the Elder, no lie. I put the aroma of this beer up there with the best IPA's and even some of the best DIPA's.

Taste: Holy cow! Grapefruit. Pine and orange peel too, but grapefruit is the dominant flavor of this beer. A decent malt backbone, but the hops never disappear. The bitterness about halfway through lasts through the finish and is second only to the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation that is subtle at first, but splashes all over the mouth right before you swallow. Bitterness lingers for literally minutes after the swallow if you give it that much time before another sip. Lingering hop oils coat your tongue, leaving a lasting grapefruit flavor.

Drinkability: Not very heavy, the malt backbone only exists as a very temporary balancing agent, and in no way weighs this beer down. If your a hop head, or can handle such oily and resinous hops, you could drink a few of these.

Pretty sure this is my first Canadian beer. And it gives me a new found respect for Canada. Great beer!

4.57/5  rDev +8%

12oz Can provided by my MAINe hook-up Casey10. Thanks Brian! Served in a Nonic Pint Glass. No canned on or best-by-date.

A: Finger of nice, dense foam. Fades into a thin layer on top, riddled with different sized bubbled. Pours a pristine looking amber. Lacing is very nice for a IPA, leaving some soapy remains on the glass.

S: Fresh, grassy hops explode with some hints of citrus fruits. A big, sweet malty base balancing things out nicely. The b

T: Like I noted above, the raw resiny hoppiness is balanced perfectly by a solid malty backbone. There is some sweetness, but it's not cloying or overdone. Bitterness is present, but it's very fleeting and mostly on the finish.

M: Medium bodied. Great viscosity on this brew. There is a little stickiness, but not much. The ample, but not overabundant carbonation helps make this nice and smooth.

D: This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a sessionable IPA. The 6.5% ABV is never noticeable, the hoppiness and bitterness are there, but they don't abuse the palate.

I've been calling this Furious' little brother, and that's some very high praise. A truly fantastic IPA, from our neighbors up north no less! Do yourself a favor and track down a can (or 12) of this tasty brew. You won't be disappointed!

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Extra from mikesgroove. Comes in a 12oz can with a picture of a voluptuous red head on a red bike with a green hop filled background. Long live the can. Poured into a tulip right out of the refrigerator.

A- Vigorous pour fills the tulip to the top with a 3 finger rocky foam. The head is very uneven and dissipates from the bottom, not the top, leaving a pumice-like lacing. The color is a deep orange with some chill haze right out of the can. The lacing is legendary all the way to the bottom.

S- Balanced between an aggressive citrus hop character and nutty-sweet malt character. These elements play a tug-of-war of the nose. In a way, it reminds of sweet-tarts.

T- First impression was a lack of flavor hops (citrus/floral). A malt sweetness through the middle. The bitterness is there in the finish, but takes a while to grab hold. As the beer warms, more grapefruit shows and the sweetness mellows. At the right temperature, the thought of sweet tarts comes back.

M- Moderate to heavy carbonation. Dry, but with enough body to support the bitterness.

D- Highly drinkable, even at the upper level of the IPA family.

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from 12 oz can into snifter.

A: Pours a nice copper/amber color with a very slight haze and one finger of white head that dissipates quickly to minimal lacing with extensive lacing

S: The smell is wonderful on this beer. A very nice layering of the citrusy/piney hop aroma sitting on the caramel malt backbone. Very nice!

T: This is very nicely balanced. The hop flavor is a mixture of citrus and pine (I get pineapple also) and the malt keeps it all in check. One thing I am noticing right now that I've never noticed before in this beer is that I'm definitely tasting some of the alcohol in the back end of it. I know this is only 6.5% abv but I'm definitely feeling some of the heat.

M: You don't get a lot of carbonation in this. I feel like it should have a little more. It definitely has a nice medium body for an IPA but it seems a little on the flat side.

D: The citrusy aroma and taste of the hops are what make this beer very attractive. It is a very tasty beer. The alcohol in the taste and the slight lack of some carbonation detract slightly from this. Overall I really like this and would put this in my 'second tier' of IPA's! I'm very excited that I'm able to purchase this locally.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a beautiful translucent amber. Head dissipates pretty quickly leaving minimal lacing.

Smells of citrus, grapefruit, and flowers. I thought maybe there were fresh cut flowers in the house. Nope, its the beer!

Tasted amazing! Beautiful mix of citrus and floral tastes. Usually there is a malt backbone but in this case the caramel malts were intermingled with the hops instead of being on the back end. Smooth isn't even the word. More like polished.

Mouthfeel was exceptional. The can talks about a long finish. You can say that again. I actually counted and it was 15 seconds. No alcohol burn.

Actually, this was my first craft beer out of a can and I had some preconcieved notions going in. But holy smoke! Not anymore. I freakin loved it. Huge thanks to tilkmelmo for this one!

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer was my first love when it comes to IPAs, and it still is to this day. It will always hold a special place in my beer-drinking heart, and if you find some Red Racer IPA and are wondering if you should try it, DO IT - you will not be disappointed.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

pours pale copper with quick dissipating head.

aroma is first hoppy. bright candied tangerine/ mandarine aroma. yummy. trace of alcohol and faintly malty. super yummy citrus nose.

on the palate the beer is crisp and fresh. medium body with good carbonation and clean malt. finishes lightly tart and hoppy

mouthfeel may be a bit light and dry for my tastes but fits the style.

overall, very drinkable. conceals its alcohol well and aside from being well made, is also interesting. highly recommend trying this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer was poured out of a 355ml can with some cool art that depicts a racey redhead riding a bike. A nice copper colored brew with a small white head.

Smell of pine and some malt in the background. A sip brings a bitterness to the back of the tongue. The pine comes through in the taste, a very light citrus note, the malt is in there somewhere. The hop bitterness sticks around in the finish with a light mouthfeel.

This is a great IPA and probably the best IPA that is available in this area on a regular basis.

4.99/5  rDev +18%

Pours a dark, clear orange color, with a two finger head of off white, fluffy tight foam that leave a little lacing as I drink.
The aroma is of citrus and pine. A sweetness hides behind the hops and the alcohol scarcely makes an appearance.
I quaff, I hold the Grapefruit and citrusy hop liquid on my tongue, then swallow, once, twice, breathing out slowly and picking up the malty backbone.
The carbonation is on the lower side, the feel is quenching, yet dry finish. The bitterness lingers.
Exceptional.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Can to tulip at about 50 degrees. No can date on this one but this is from a fresh batch as it just hit shelves.

Woah I cracked the can and the beer came billowing out the top all over my table...wtf!

A: Finally after it subsided was able to get a nice easy pour down the center of the glass that created a finger and half of very nice head. Looks like this will have some really nice lacing. This beer is a nice apricot color, very murky when held to light. 4.0

S: Smell is of really nice fresh hops tons of citrus and a bit of pine with a touch of alcohol. A nice nose on this beer. 4.0

T: Taste is somewhat muted and not what I had expected from the wonderful nose. Hops are definitely there but something is lacking. Getting somewhat of an underlying green tea flavor. This is definitely enjoyable but doesn't keep up with the best of the best IPA's 4.0

M: Mouthfeel is ok, definitely lacking a bit, somewhat under carbonated which is surprising considering it pretty much exploded upon opening. I suppose the carbonation left the beer at that point. Missing that oily hop presence as well. 3.0

O: Overall this is not a bad IPA however the mouthfeel and light carbonation could be improved. Still a 4.0 overall.

2.04/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This is quite interesting. At first the smell is not related to the taste, I can tell you. I like the smell of that beer, it smell like citrus of some kind.

For the taste, this is the most bitter beer I ever had so far. Its by far the most stronger beer I have ever tasted. It will be real challenge to drink more than one of this one. It taste like the peel of grapefruit.

It is a must try, if your are in beer tasting.

The IBU is 80, the SRM around 06, ABV 6.5%, the beer can 473 ml for the price of 3.75 (cad).

An interesting experience.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My go to IPA the last summer probably about the 100th can I have had. Yeah it is balanced towards hops but I don't care it is a rip snortin IPA in a can that is awesome. Have had it on tap and I rocks there to.My go to IPA the last summer probably about the 100th can I have had. Yeah it is balanced towards hops but I don't care it is a rip snortin IPA in a can that is awesome. Have had it on tap and I rocks there to.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

poured into my Black Raven Imperial Pint Glass

pours copper orange with a small white head

Smell is lots of citrus, pine very hoppy and delicious.

very well balanced, if a little hop forward, not quite on the same level as pliney but its certainly much easier to get, cheaper, comes in cans and is very delicious, a big recommend for any hop head.

very nice level of carbonation smooth mouthfeel if a little bitter, really ejoyed this 6 pack that Jakeohut brought by me.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

12oz can poured into a cervoise-ish style glass.
Canned on what would appear to be April 8th, 2011.

A-> Pours a pretty clear (filtered?) copper/orange blend of a color with about a half finger head and little retention with some good lacing.

S-> Smells immediately of fruit. Getting some good citrus as well as some pine and a pinch of some sweet malt somewhere in there.

T-> Nice, crisp pine hop bite mixed with the citrus fruits from the nose make for a pleasant and balanced flavor. Malts are very much on the back-burner in this one although not completely undetectable.

M-> Good carbonation and definitely on the lighter end of medium bodied spectrum, if not light-bodied for an IPA. Leaves a nice bitter taste behind that isn't unpleasant. Very refreshing

O-> Glad I finally got to visit this one. Don't really try too many beers from America's Hat and this one certainly did not dissapoint!

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 650ml bottle, no dating. Clear dark orange body with two fingers of bubbly white head. Lots of lacing.

Tons of grapefruit, pine, lemon, orange peel and citrus notes on the aroma. Some sort of "dank" hoppy note too.

Citrus and grapefruit flavor on the tongue and forwards into big hop bitterness with some lemon and orange peel notes. Juicy hop flavor. Leaves a dry, very bitter, hoppy aftertaste.

Medium body, smooth and quaffable. Nice amount of carbonation to go along with the body and flavor.

Nice IPA from Central City.

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

355ml can, served in Bellwoods tulip

A - Billowy head, sticks around for a bit, a little lacing. Red/golden yellow body

S - Citrus, a little bread, some pine/resin

T - Beautiful. Body wise, it's somewhere between an regular and an imperial. Nice crystal malts, with citrus hops, but not over-powering. No citra, I think. My can is a little old, but it had more sharpness to it before. It's mellowed well. Nice alcohol taste.

M - Medium-heavy. Medium carbonation, goes down extremely well.

O - Dangerous brew. Keep up the good work.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Deep orange/copper color with a full sturdy white head.

Terrific hop aroma with loads of citrus.

The taste I look for in an IPA with grapefruit, piney, grassy but some balancing maltiness.

Mouthfeel is very good.

Drinkability is where this beer will shine. I can only imagine how many I could drink of this beer without any feeling of too much of a good thing.

What a great beer. I think this beer stacks up with my favourite Surly Furious. At first I doubted the hype...now I am a believer.

I tried 18 different IPA's last week in a tasting but not the Red Racer. This would have been the pick of the litter!

Taking a 24 back home to Sask with me.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

355 ml can poured into nonic pint glass.

A-Pours a clear red-copper. About three fingers of white head with good staying power. Powdery white chunks of lacing stick to the glass.

S-Lots of grapefruit. Some bitter aromas from the hops.

T-Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy. citrusy hops with a bit of pine. Also get malt sweet finish, but I'm not sure if this isn't just something else from the hops.

M-a full bodied IPA with moderate carbonation.

O-a hoppy, but multi-faceted IPA. Each new sip brings something slightly different. I immensely enjoyed this beer and glad I have five more in the fridge. Will be a go to for IPA drinking.

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

The can has a classy look of a red headed beauty in garters straddling a classic bike frame. This is not your grand daddy's canned beer, but if it were he would love the design as much as it's contents. One finger of near white head rests on top of and deep orange hazy body. Small amounts of lacing are clinging to the sides of the glass. After a few short sips the head has now diminished to small islands of larger bubbles surrounded by the smaller beaches of tiny head. This IPA has a sweet hop aroma and rich caramel profile. Inviting robust Red Racer has my interests piqued. The first gulp bring a rush of bitterness and sweet caramel balance. The hops come with an earthy and piney taste. The finish is long lasting and complex. Citric and floral, sweet and thick. I could drink quite a few of these. The ABV comes in a tad lower than most IPA's, so I will feel less guilt downing more than one can.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a wonderful IPA. Great colour, lasting head, bitter and full of citrus. It's a little over-carbonated for my tastes, which also causes it to change feel as you near the bottom of the glass. But this IPA is a winner in my book. Cheers.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My local store randomly got a single six-pack of this in.

Huge, huge fluffy head atop a golden body. Took me 3 pours over 2 minutes to get it all on the glass.

The foam is releasing aromatics you can smell from 3 feet away, and it's fantastic. Reminds me of opening a bag of hop cones.

Holy crap. The hoppiness lurking in this can is phenomenal. Huge citrus notes- grapefruit up front, pine in the finish. Maybe I'm just shocked to be drinking this from such a harmless looking little can, from a brewery I'd never heard of, but this is stunning.

Mouthfeel is a good carbonation with a smooth body- I'd guess flaked barley.

It's strong, but I have to give this high marks for drinkability, considering how fast I finished this. Now I just need my local store to buy more.

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

appearance:
amber,orange, not entirely clear.
pours with some gravity, lands into one finger of solid foam
poured it a couple min ago , to let it settle in, and its head is still foamy and not dissipating, this is one of the longest staying heads ive seen..
lacing is thick and leaves rings for each drink.

smell:
immediate note of cascade hops, followed by some sweet grapefruit, and a bright
yeasty note like home made bread with citrus jelly. very sweet nose. amazing
brightness , the smell is strong and immediate, citrus cascades.

taste:
other reviews Ive read have said the bitterness was the most forward
part of this beer's taste, for me , its bright resinous hops, a burst of sharp dank hops
followed by the citrus flavour so obvious from the nose, then it levels down to
the bitter flavour, but its sweet into the aftertaste, complex, but not overdone.
it has a heavy almost orange peel flavour from the resins in the fresh hops.
the cascade hops are very present throughout. but balanced well by some other hops,
which they didnt mention on the can.

mouth:
surprisingly flat and easy drinking for the level of hops used,
and the slightly higher ABv, it starts off a bit foamy and levels down to a bitter
almost dry sort of aftertaste which lingers for a long time, fives of minutes even.

overall:
I generally avoid the whole range of IPA, as its not a style I've enjoyed often.
but hearing such high reviews of this ale I picked one up, and I had decided that
even if it isnt my preferred style, something scoring so highly must be worth trying,
I am still not a huge fan of this style of beer, but I am glad to have bought this one.
as its sort of redefining how I thought this style could be presented.
I've tried numerous IPA from various local craft brewers and other shelf stock,
and always found them to be overstated, and just disgustingly bitter or sour.
as I review more I have been finding exceptions to every style,
rarely do I find one so drinkable as this beer, mind you it isnt something I will
be drinking often, but if I find myself in the mood for something citrus and complex
but still very drinkable , this beer will be a go to.
the higher ABv isnt something i normally look for, as it often heats up the beers taste.
but this has been balanced perfectly in this beer, and it compliments to the style.
an enjoyable complex beer with a higher ABv , I will be buying this again.

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured into a New Glarus nonic glass.

A- Pours a beautiful, clear amber/orange color with a very thin white head. Very few bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Upon drinking some very nice lacing is present.

S- Initially, a very resinous fresh pine aroma that gives way to some citrus pithiness.

T- Hop forward bitterness gives way to a nice maltiness. Bitterness starts out a bit piney, but gives way to some tangerine and grapefruit notes. Actually, a touch of clementine pithiness exists as well. Malt is apparent and provides a nice sweetness. Hoppiness isn't as dominant as I had expected, possibly low turnover at my local store.

M- Lack of carbonation leaves a little to much sweetness on the palate. Thinking the acidity of carbonation would improve this beer.

D- A nice IPA, but neither the hoppiness doesn't make this memorable. Very well could be a pour package with the noticeable lack of carbonation. Will definitely revisit and see if there is a better example.

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Crystal clear copper colored beer with a thin off white head. Decent lacing for the small amount of head. Fairly dark for an IPA, almost amber.

S - Lovely smell. Huge citrus hop aroma. Lots of tangerines and ruby red grapefruit.

T - Well balanced. Taste follows the nose, with some toasty malt behind the hops. Definitely the tastiest single IPA I've ever had from a can, and one of the better ones I can remember, period.

M - Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation and just a hit of resinous slickness.

D - Downed the first can in about 2 minutes flat. This is a seriously drinkable beer. I'd bring a case of this to a BBQ in a heartbeat.

Great beer. Definitely a welcome addition to the growing number of fine beers in a can. I love a good canned beer in the summer, and you really can't beat this one for less than $2 a can in a 6-pack.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers