Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 464 | Hads: 1,027
3.94/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Let me preface this by saying that I don't like IPAs and in turn have not tried a large variety of IPAs.
That said, this is the best IPA I've ever had. Very strong and flavorful without being to bitter (well for most people; I still don't care for the bitterness that much). Despite not having tasted many IPAs I could tell that this was something special. I'd say this is the epitome of what good American IPA is.

Smell: Strong. Great smell, albeit it a simple one. Very hoppy; like a pine tree or something (I'm not good with hop names, but it's predominately pine taste). It probably smells like being in a hops garden, or a pine tree forest.

Appearance: Very clear; Definitely filtered; I guess as one would expect for this style? Amber color (darkness depending on your glass and lighting), again as one would expect. Head: rather fine, stays for a good while; overall rather typical and good.

Mouthfeel: carbonation is average or even slightly on the low side but is also quite smooth/fine. Definitely pleasant I'd say.

Taste: I really like how it has very distinct front and back flavors. The hops taste changes into some other flavors shortly after tasting. I'm not quite sure what those secondary flavors are (malts or something), but it's really cool and complimentary. After enough sips, one can't notice this anymore because the hops takes over the tongue.

Overall verdict: If you love hops and love IPAs then you should totally love this! Otherwise you may merely just want to have a taste, or even avoid it. I'm glad that I tried it because it's inexpensive and great for it's style. That said I don't like its style. I do also like the ABV.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-Bright, clear orange, white head disappeared quickly
S-I get Columbus hops, dank, and a little floral
M-Light body with higher end carbonation for an IPA
T-Bitter front end and sweeter finish. Aftertaste puckers the mouth
O-This is a solid west coast IPA. I recommend.

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

wow. This so far is probably my second favorite Canadian IPA after Castors Yakima IPA.

Appearance- Poured into a snifter from a 473 ml Can. Love this can XD... Pours a clear amber with 2 fingers head that fades in a couple mins. Carbonation looks kinda lively.

Aroma - HOPS, floral hops, citrus hops, Bready, Cracker, Caramel.

Taste - Lemon , Grapefruit, orange peel, flowers, white bread, caramel.

Feel - medium body, Creamy carbonation, Bitter on the front and finish, lasts on the finish.

Overall - This is a fantastic IPA, The 80 ibu is well masked by the balance of sweetness to the hops. The entire beer blends really well together. Definitely give this a try if you get a chance.

This, to me, is without a doubt the best American Style IPA in Canada, and probably my favorite, along with Southern Tier's IPA, both are world class, and could not be any better.

4.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours with one finger of white head that lasts. Good lacing on the glass. Crystal clear golden yellow with a hint of copper.
S - Big dry hop smell right up front, citrus and buttered bread, resiny.
T - Big citrus flavours off the top, resin and pine, bready, and of course hops.
M - Mild carbonation, leaves the mouth with just the right amount of tackiness or dryness.
O - In my opinion, an example of a West Coast IPA done right.

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

6.5% ABV, 80 ibu, 355ml can.
A - golden copper clear with half finger head, I expected more carbonation from can.
S - floral, oranges, sweet fruit, piney, caramel, there's some kind of savory spice at the back, couldn't tell what the exactly.
T - very full flavored palate, good carb mouthful, balanced which is not that hoppy with 80 ibu. taste is similar to the smells. piney n sweet, went out dry.
O - it's a really nice daily IPA, will get it next time.

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%

light amber colour with a couple inches of foam that clears quickly. No carbonation visible. Nice look.

Citrusy hops on the nose with a bit of sweet ripe fruit.

First taste is sharp bitter orange and grapefruit that gives quickly to some rich depth thats a bit sweet. Some grains in the back and finish is bitter again. Have to admit the depth of flavour was surprising and really well balanced. Different notes come and go nicely.

Mouthfeel is light but not thin. Very little carbonation feel.

Overall pleasantly surprised at the depth of the flavours. I usually find American IPA styles overdo the citrus bomb but this manages the big bitter grapefruit style with balance and class. Lots of flavour and a nice fresh aftertaste makes this a definite repeat.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An all around outstanding beer. Wonderful aroma, with just enough bitterness to get noticed. This is the IPA i judge a lot of others against. It sets the standard very high! Bravo Central City.

3.46/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't get the high ratings of this beer. I had 2 cans on separate occasions and in my opinion it is pretty standard. The hops are pretty green and floral to me with bit of pine, which I would expect from an English IPA, but the malts in the taste are not this wonderful british caramel balance that complements the rather boring hop taste that is mainly bitter and only a little (grape)fruity. American IPA do not need the malt balance as their fruity hops balance the bitterness. This beer is neither this nor that. It is not bad but also niot special. (FYI, the beer was consumed not even 3 month after production date and should have been fresh enough)

4.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

473ml can poured into a standard craft beer glass(Not a shaker pint)

A: Light amber almost gold in color. A fine thick head adorns the crown of this IPA, leaving beautiful lacing that stays with a tenacity which I previously reserved only for 3rd world street vendors.

S: Upon dipping my nose near the glass I immediately recoiled back in shock and looked around me. The notes of Pine so strong I was convinced utterly I had suddenly awoken In a grove of towering evergreens. Finally convinced I was still in my house I tried to delve deeper into the aroma. Gentle notes of citrus showed them selves the more I looked, lingering into a delightful floral finish.

T: Not Bad

M: Just thick enough to linger upon your tongue as you sip yet not so thick that it becomes an unpleasant experience. It dances and swirls about leaving a fine, crisp and refreshing feeling finish in your mouth begging for the next tantalizing taste. So much so that I am actually on my 7th one as I write this review.

Summary: Would buy again.

1.76/5  rDev -58.5%

This was easily one of the top IPA in the entire world. It was bold, aromatic and had a beautiful colour. It was also my favourite. Easily a 5 in every category.

They updated the can artwork, started filtering it and who knows what else. The bold citrussy hops are gone, it's bitter, and it's unbelievably average.

The original was a work of love, this new stuff is a work of profit.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Clear hazy amber color, almost copper with a pink hue, and floating suspending detritus. Creamy foamy white 2 finger head lasting around 5 minutes. Strong legs with some vivid dual speed carbonation activity due to the particles.

Strong aromas and flavors of citrus, pine, fruits, floral and herbal spices. Perfectly intensified having some pleasant orange fruity sweetness and a rich earthy spicy bitter feel.

Slick creamy medium body with some prickly carbonation. Well intensified finish ending with a spicy, slightly dry, bitter clove like feel and pine aftertaste.

Overall : Awesome tasty flavors and balanced intensity. Great freshness while still a little dry, and the spices are just right. Excellent and accessible IPA!

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Had this on draft in downtown Toronto at a place called Beerbistro. The beer was marketed as a West Coast style IPA so I had to give it a whirl. Overall I was very impressed. Great aroma and flavor. I'd love to snag some of these to take home. Great beer.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding! Had it canned from the lcbo, on tap at many calgary bars, and on the lift at Louise (thanks to the fellas from YEG). Always a treat, no matter the occasion.

3.62/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Red Racer IPA is in a new can; the beer is now being filtered. I suppose the new presentation is designed to widen the appeal of the beer to the uptown crowd.
Fortunately I discovered the change and was able to buy a few cans of the older stock.

Filtration doesn't impress this customer; it is an additional process which subtracts from flavour and texture and is a waste of energy. But the uptown crowd doesn't care about such things. People either accept the style or they don't. Filtration isn't going to win someone who doesn't like hoppy beer, and there are many such people.

The yeast residue grounded the beer and now the entire flavour is different.

4.24/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a winner! I've enjoyed it in cans and bombers, my most recent encounter was on tap at a local pub. It was the special, and it really impressed me as a draft offering. Red Racer has nailed the combination of hops and malt to fine art. From first whiff to last mouthful, this is an incredibly enjoyable beer. There is plenty of malt backbone that is nicely accentuated by the pine/grapefruit hop notes. I have yet to meet a Red Racer I didn't like...

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I first had this in Van on draft. I decided to give it a go as it was a special of the night. I had one and drank it all night. It is aggressive but has an addictive hop quality. If you are in the mood for an IPA where the hop barrels over the malt this is for you.

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

Serving Type: 500 mL Can

My first West coast brewed "West Coast" style IPA

A- Light Amber topped by a thick 2 finger head. Head retention is excellent and there is lots of lacing in the glass.

S- Notes of Pine pitch (resin) immediately hit me. Nice and strong. Citrus notes of grapefruit and airy floral notes. Clean aroma with no alcohol notes despite a relatively high abv.

T- Aroma ties in well to the taste but with a little more emphasis on the citrus notes. Pine taste is still quite prominent. Beautiful taste with incredible hop characteristics. I've never experienced anything quite like it.

M- Wicked body on this beer. Nice and thick but not chewy. Medium carbonation that works very well here. Crisp and dry.

O- Wow... Where do I begin. This IPA is mind blowing. Easily the best i've had so far. The aroma and taste are incredible and like I said, a completely new experience for me. I don't think I could've enjoyed this brew anymore. I highly recommend this beer. Absolutely incredible. Just writing about it makes my mouth water...

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wooo.. very good beer. Can see why they drank this during the war though, very filling for myself. Slows you down on those thirsty nights. would highly recommend along with their regular pale ale which is outstanding on tap

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served on-tap in a Shaker pint at The Wood Restaurant (Canmore, AB).

A: Pleasing light honey-amber (not red) with 1/2-finger of light beige tightly bubbled head with good retention and a shade of intricate lacing at the top of the glass.

S: Big, bright grapefruit, pine resin, dank-musky, fruity, and floral aromas with a light-medium caramel note and clean ester and alcohol free profile. Very fresh aroma all the way around.

T: The aroma profile transfers elegantly to the flavor with a great mix of musky, dankness, pine resin, and graepfruit-passionfruit-pineapple fruitiness in the hopping. The name fools you because this is not a red IPA - it is a full blooded West Coast American IPA with a clean, slightly bready maltiness that provides a slight grainy edge which really works with the heavyweight hopping. Clean with no yeast or alcohol character -- really a well-formulated and crafted brew.

M: Clean and dry with light-medium body and moderate carbonation. Very drinkable -- could have easily had 2-3 imperial pints of this brew.

O: I was really glad to have the chance to have this brew -- I had not read about it at all, but if I had I would have sought it out. I feel fortunate at it is a pure pleasure to drink with big hoppy aroma and flavor laid down on a superb malt backbone -- a bit of flavor but mostly a supporting structure for some fresh hopping, some of the freshest I have had, with a dry finish. It reminds me a lot of a Pliny Jr. to be honest. Really an exceptional beer.

4.99/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours a dark, clear orange color, with a two finger head of off white, fluffy tight foam that leave a little lacing as I drink.
The aroma is of citrus and pine. A sweetness hides behind the hops and the alcohol scarcely makes an appearance.
I quaff, I hold the Grapefruit and citrusy hop liquid on my tongue, then swallow, once, twice, breathing out slowly and picking up the malty backbone.
The carbonation is on the lower side, the feel is quenching, yet dry finish. The bitterness lingers.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Red Racer IPA

This is one of my favorite India Pale Ales. It has everything that you could hope to find in one, and one of the first true IPAs I tried.

Appearance: 4.25

Even though this may be the ''worst'' part of the beer, this is by no means whatsoever saying that much. This pours an amber-orange colour, and leaves a slight a very slight lacing around the glass. Not the best ever, but still appetizing.

Smell: 4.75

Lovely. Just lovely. A bouquet of pine, citrus, slight caramel, and fruity hops await you. The scent does not leave much to be desired.

Taste: 5.00

The taste is very similar to the smell, only even better; Grapefruit, Pine, a hint of lemon and some very slight caramel await you through out the beer, with orange peel near the end. Excellence.

Mouthfeel: 5.00

Pure excellence; while it is not too heavy for someone getting into IPAs, it is not too underwhelming/light for the connoisseur either, as it falls perfectly into the medium bodied category, with a refreshing hop bitterness at the end.

Overall: 4.91
Excellent beer, with all the hop bitterness and taste you expect from an IPA. Try this when you get the chance; an exceptional brew.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Central City Brewers: Red Racer IPA, 6.5%. -
no list of ingredients or IBU level on the bottle. This bottle was delivered by a friend who's a flight attendant, directly off the plane. Super!

Appearance: Light orange to amber with hints of brown, all under a snow white foam, which leaves a slight amount of lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Lots and lots of melon, grapefruit, other tropical fruits, your typical C-hops aroma, and some crystal malt sweetness and then, a little alcoholic feel in the nose.

Front: The first flavor is citrus, melon, a decent amount of bitterness, a little tartness and some sweetness behind all that.

Mid: More citrus, melon, grapefruit, and again, a decent bitterness, heavy but not overpowering here. Again, a little tartness but on the side it’s both bitter and a crystal malt sweetness is quite strong, which is good, making it a nice balanced IPA.

Back: Lots more citrus and tropical fruit, and here we can feel a large sweet wave of crystal and pale malts to balance out the bitterness, which actually comes across quite mild. You get a very nice dose of caramel here, more than your average IPA… are they using Münchner malt?

Aftertaste: Bitterness, sweet caramel and tartness with a shot of citrus.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, not quite thick enough for my taste, but still not thin and weak. It’s almost süffig.

Overall: For a “West Coast IPA,” very very good, almost great. It’s not Heady Topper or Pliny the Younger, but what is? It’s still a excellent IPA.

I have to say what’s missing for me is healthy shot of caramel from Münchner that I’ve come to like from a few Germany IPAs. A 4.4 from 5.

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

Clear, medium amber, not a lot of head but it sticks around & laces the glass.

Big, hoppy aroma, with piney American "C" hops, tropical fruit, melon rind, and a lot of sweetness. Great IPA smell.

Bracingly bitter up front, with a piney bite only slightly softened by light citrus & tropical fruit notes that develop a little slower. After your taste buds acclimatize and the beer warms up a bit you notice that there's also a very substantial candylike sweetness, though with no burnt or toffee notes. Opponents of crystal malt in IPAs will not be pleased - this one is more in the East Coast style despite its geographic origin.

Mouthfeel substantial and somewhat sticky, with fairly low carbonation.

Outstanding. By far my favourite Canadian IPA thus far.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Can to Glass

Can is about two weeks old!

Appearance - Clear copper/orange colour with a big white head

Smell - Strong smelling, tropical fruits, pineapple, grapefruit, mango, pine

Taste - Tropical fruits, pineapple, grapefruit, mango, pine, hops

Overall - An excellent West Coast IPA

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers