Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 464 | Hads: 1,026
4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to phil for this one

A: Nice transparent orange color, with four or five little strips of something i cant identify that slowly fall to the bottom of the glass. The head is an inch an a half thick with some gaping bubbles riding up the side of he glass. The head retnetion is good, bordering on a bit to slow and some decent lace remans.

S: Nice crisp herbal hops to start along with hints of citrusy mango and a bit of lemon and peach. Very pleasnt but not all that aromatic.

T: It has a very melony hoppy taste, like honey dew and cantelope with hints of lemon as well. Some caramel is present too

M: Slightly rough around the edges as it is prickly on my tongue. No heat and the body is on the lighter side

D: Overall this on is a very nice canned IPA, not quite as good as furious, but still one worth having around on a regular basis

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Found this one last week on a business trip to Maine and what a find this one was!

A - Pours a deep golden amber with mild carbonation and a massive three finger head.

S - The aroma of this beer is absolutely heavenly. It's saturated with pungent amounts of grapefruit, oily hops, and pine. Has some traces of pepper inthe aroma but the sweet oily hops dominate.

T - Taste is not as agressive as the aroma may suggest. Has a mild malt bisquit character that lies quiet in the background. The citrus flavoring is pretty even throughout the sip. Starts out with sweet citrus and evolves into a bitter, peppery grapefruit finish that is very dry.

M - Very smooth, medium bodied, and leaves a citrus grapefruitaftertaste in the mouth that lingers for a very long time.

D - I think I just found my most favorite IPA in a can. Incredibly drinkable with a lower ABV and I could drink several of these. It tastes good, but I really enjoy the hoppy aroma.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Updated on 1/13/2011 with a Washington distributed imported version (just as good!)

appearance - pours an orange/amber color with a good head and immediate retention on the lacing that crawls up the side of the glass

smell - hops on the nose with some light malt accents

taste - tingles the tongue, floral and pine hop notes intertwine with a nice malt body, hop forward but not a bomb, very tasty

mouthfeel - some carbonation, some creaminess

drinkability - this is incredibly drinkable for an IPA, very solid

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If this beer was more widely distributed in the US it would be raved about. A true west coast IPA, orange/gold color with disappearing head, great hop bitterness, resinous, fills the mouth with flavor, biting on the sides of the tongue. The nose is just a tad mild for my liking and the drinkablity is excellent. One of the best single IPAs I've ever had.

EDIT: Drink these quickly, the hops seem to fade a bit even after a brief period of time.

4.14/5  rDev -2.4%

This came in locally a few weeks ago. Being the number one rated Canadian IPA at the time of this writing, as well as arriving in a city with quite a few hopheads, the whole supply ended up being sold in ~5 hours (or so the story goes).

Pours a deep, clear amber color with a finger of head. Head has staying power. Small amounts of lacing left on the glass.

Nice crisp clear nose. Definately hops, citrusy scents (pineapple) and fresh pine.

Flavor isn't abundantly hoppy, though it is present. A larger bready malt flavor is more present, and lasts through to the finish and the aftertaste. Also taste of pine, but no citrus.

Very nice IPA overall. I can see why it is highly regarded. It is definitely great, though falls a bit short of exceptional. A fellow friend and BA mentions having better examples of this, so I can only imagine what it is normally like.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Was recommended by an elderly man in my local liquor store.

The beer is found in a can which is unusual for me because I am accustomed to purchasing craft beer in a bottle.

It pours deep orange with a thin head that leaves remnants atop the brew.

The smell of the beer is tremendous. There is a pungent super-hoppy/piney an fruity aroma that iterally flows from the can. The smell is delicious.

The taste offers exactly what the smell presents initially. The beer is deliciously hoppy with a perfect balance of citrus and pine hops. The best part about the beer is as it warms, a distinct pineapple flavor becomes present which inreases its scrumptiousness. There is a nice malty exit that is not very overpowering.

The mouthfeel is exceptional and ranks equally with many IPAs. It almost feels as if it could be a dIPA.

The beer has a powerful hop-foward taste but the alcohol is almost perfectly masked which heightens its drinkability. I fortunately have the opportunity to drink this beer regularly. Because of that, I must say that this guy is the steeple of my beer drinking preference. Easy to get for me and never, ever a let down. If you like a unique take of the style find this beer immediatley.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Many thanks to macmaster761

A: Pours a brilliant clear deep golden color. Fluffy white head that lasts and leaves its mark.

S: Beautiful. Smells like a coniferous forest right after a spring rainshower, which sounds ridiculous...but its true! Also a little bit of spiciness in the aroma.

T: Wow. Spicy, piney hops. Not a lot of malt to back it up. All hops, all day. Juicy citrus...maybe tangerine? Slight malt sweetness in the finish.

M: Prickly carbonation feels appropriate. Slightly creamy. Nice fresh-hop aftertaste that lingers on, but in a pleasant way.

D: High. The only thing stopping me from grabbing another is the fact that I gave my other can to a friend. I could easily have several of these in one sitting.

The strong reviews are accurate. This is a very well done west coast style IPA. Who doesn't love a great beer in a can? This would definitely be a go-to beer for me if it was available in the area. I'll probably seek this out via trade again in the future.

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

Lots of hype around this one. I'm excited!

Pours a slightly chill-hazed bright orange with a decent 1 cm head that keeps for a bit before reducing, leaving some very nice lacing marks on my glass.

Smell is full of rich pine-y notes and some of the juiciest citrus notes I have ever come across. Some nice bread, maple sugar and biscuit in the background too. Encouraging indeed!

Taste is lively with lots of piney, grapefruity-citrus hops right up front and throughout intermixed with caramel and a good amount of bready malt flavours on the finish and linger which provide for a beautifully hoppy yet balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel is bright and prickly with a surprising touch of cream and a bit of that classic IPA oilyness. The Finish is nice and clean with a touch of spice on the linger.

As for drinkability, there's not much to complain about. I could see myself drinking a few of these in 1 sitting way too easily. It goes down real smooth and provides for an interesting enough taste experience to satisfy any palate. It delivers everything an IPA lover would want but doesn't go overboard in any way - when it comes to this beer, balance is bliss.

All this from a can? Are you kidding me?!?!

I don't know if I've ever felt so privileged to have such open access to a beer before.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz can (thanks Thorpe429!) into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear, bright reddish-amber with a moderate column of carbonation leading up to a 3/4" head of fine tan foam; average retention and a good amount of spotty lace. Great looking beer, and just the color I like from an IPA.

S: Fresh hoppy aroma is mainly floral and piney, with just a hint of caramel malt backing it up. Pleasant and straightforward, but not particularly deep or complex.

T: Terrific, zesty explosion of hops up front - hugely floral, with some pine and citrus as well - followed by some pretty dry, almost biscuity malt before the intensely bitter finish. It's breathtaking right up until a bit of astringency creeps in on the aftertaste, but this is a pretty minor quibble. Delicious IPA.

M: The body is a bit on the light side of medium, with soft, moderate carbonation. Pretty good.

D: The overly bitter aftertaste continues to bother me, but this beer is tasty enough to transcend such complaints. I could easily and gladly drink more of these.

Notes: I've been wanting to try this one for a while, and lo and behold Thorpe429 hooked me up with a can as an extra. Unlike the UPS driver who broke the growlers I sent him, this beer did not disappoint. It was fun to try a West Coast IPA that wasn't from CA. Good stuff.

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I drank this from a 12oz can into my Orval glass.

The beer pours a very clear light orange with an off white head that only rises about half a finger and is gone right away.

The aroma is really nice. Perfect combination and sweet and better. Starts off with a really nice sweet citrus fading into a perfect amount of hops, enough to know they are there but not all dominating.

The taste is equally as nice. It starts off a little sweet then fades into a great hoppy finish. An almost pefect ipa balance because in neither respect does the other overpower the other.

The feel is nice, with a very long lasting dry finish.

Overall, this was a great little ipa. Could almost be a really nice ipa sessional

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

OK, so I've heard some grumbling about this beer and was excited to give it a try. I actually love that it comes in a can.

We are off to a good start here. Pours with a beautiful creamy off white head with excellent retention and structure. Bright orange amber in color with excellent clarity. Clumps of lacing everywhere. On the last pour from the can some dark floaters went into my glass. They slowly made their way to the bottom of the glass. More than just sediment, which usually mixes into the beer and makes it hazy. These were larger and sank.

Aroma is fantastic and fresh. Huge perfume like hop presence. I think I'm getting more pine resin type aromas along with some grapefruit peel. A whiff of alcohol. Almost reminds me more of a DPA vs. a standard.

Wow, excellent IPA. Living up to the comments I heard. Still feels a little more assertive for a 6.5% ABV, but quite nice. Juicy hop explosion. Lots of fruity esters and a bit of cracker malt breadiness. The hop punch is big/fresh and wonderful.

Body is light, but hops make the mouth feel large! Wonderful.

This is a great IPA and just made my regular purchase list. For a hop head this is fantastic. Great IPA!

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

Got this as an extra from lunch on a recent trade.
Poured from a can into my SA perfect pint glass. Nice copper color with medium white head that dissipates into a decent sticky lace. Nice grapefruit aroma. Taste is slightly metallic im sure due to the can but is still quite good. I got a faint tea flavor in the background that was real unusual. Weird that i live 30 minutes from B.C. but i have never seen this beer in my town. Thanks again lunch!

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Had two of these bad boys sent to me as extras in a recent trade with Lunch. Thanks again!

Appearance- Pours a translucent dark-golden with a really nice looking two and a half fingers or so of puffy head rising off of the body. Lots of beading and great head retention. Takes a long time before the head dies back to about a quarter finger sheet that sticks around for the rest of the drink. Moderate amounts of lacing as well.

Smell- Big on tropical fruits here. Lots of aromatic hops smelling of pineapple and orange with a little bit of bitter grapefruit. Very rich and fruity, I like this one.

Taste- Very hop forward but not quite as fruity as I was expecting. Starts out with bitter grapefruit and pineapple citrus flavors but is rounded out with a healthly amount of resiny bite on the finish. Very solid flavor profile.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Good here on both accounts. Slick and substantial with very good carbonation and goes down easy with the nice flavor profile.

Overall, a very good IPA. Big on west coast smells but with some east coast piney IPA flavors coming through as well. Though not my favorite IPA ever, this is a very good offering and I recommend it.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz. can on 3/5/10.

A - Emerged from the aluminum as a clear amber/orange body with almost two fingers of frothy beige foam that retained quite well and yielded thick swatches of lacing.

S - A pungent hop bouquet of pine and citrus with hints of herbal notes happliy coexists with a sweet caramel malt foundation to create a wonderfully aromatic IPA nose.

T - Lots of hops in here with primarily citrus and piney attributes, but also herbal and perfumy notes as well. The caramel malt backbone provides a sweet balance to the fairly aggressive hop character. The citrus presence really becomes more apparent as the liquid warmed up a bit. Finishes with a moderate hop bite.

M - Medium bodied with a slick, oily texture and lively carbonation, resulting in a pretty crisp mouthfeel. Finishes with lingering bitterness on the palate.

D - IPA from a can. Why aren't there more of them around? Them Canucks can make a good IPA, eh?

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%

The lone can that made it back from EBF weekend. Picked up at Julios on the way out.

A: Hazy copper color with a little under a finger of white head. A nice amount of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose on this beer simply kills. Fresh whole hop cones abound. Citrus. Grapefruit. A little bit of peaches as well. Smells like a big OL DIPA.

T: Little bit bitter up front. Goes into a little bit of a charcoal taste then the hops just come at you and do not relent. Not nearly as big a hop taste as the nose.

M: Really good. Little bit creamy with a little bit of stickiness to it.

D: I love a good beer in a can and this is just that. Would love this for tubing or fishing. Hopefully we will see this beer in NY soon though I know I am fooling myself just by typing that.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to Casey10 for hooking me up.
Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a gold amber color with fluffy off-white head that dissipates very slowly laving patterns of lacing all over the glass. Very clear as well, looks impressive.

S: Big piney hops with a citrus finish. Hints of malt come through, but they're pretty well dominated by the hops.

T: Much more balanced than I was expecting based on smell. Beautiful, luscious hops are complemented by a warming malt backbone. Quite tasty.

M: Very impressive mouthfeel for an IPA. Incredibly smooth, with just enough bite from the hops. Leaves my mouth slightly slick. Gorgeous.

D: I don't think it can improve in this category. Hands down, one of the most drinkable IPAs I've ever had. Thanks again Brian!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked up at Julio's on 02.26.2010.

A: Pours a nice copper with a bit of a reddish tint to it. Very nice tan head, leaving loads of lacing as it goes down.

S: Loads of citrus, grassy, and earthy hops atop a slightly-sweet caramel malt base. I had heard this described as "baby Furious" and that actually comes pretty close.

T: Some sweet malt in the background, which balances things out a little bit, but this one is almost entirely hops. Definite earthy and herbal hops with bits of citrus. Hoppy flavors, although it's not terribly bitter.

M: Medium body with a smooth creaminess. Slightly chewy. No alcohol presence.

D: Very, very drinkable. Hopefully we'll see expanded distribution on this one soon.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

Poured from 12 oz can into snifter.

A: Pours a nice copper/amber color with a very slight haze and one finger of white head that dissipates quickly to minimal lacing with extensive lacing

S: The smell is wonderful on this beer. A very nice layering of the citrusy/piney hop aroma sitting on the caramel malt backbone. Very nice!

T: This is very nicely balanced. The hop flavor is a mixture of citrus and pine (I get pineapple also) and the malt keeps it all in check. One thing I am noticing right now that I've never noticed before in this beer is that I'm definitely tasting some of the alcohol in the back end of it. I know this is only 6.5% abv but I'm definitely feeling some of the heat.

M: You don't get a lot of carbonation in this. I feel like it should have a little more. It definitely has a nice medium body for an IPA but it seems a little on the flat side.

D: The citrusy aroma and taste of the hops are what make this beer very attractive. It is a very tasty beer. The alcohol in the taste and the slight lack of some carbonation detract slightly from this. Overall I really like this and would put this in my 'second tier' of IPA's! I'm very excited that I'm able to purchase this locally.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Another thanks goes out to kmurray8621 for sending me this. I'm an IPA fiend and don't care who knows it!

Pours a semi hazy orange copper color with about two fingers of off white head. It has great retention and manages to leave some intense sheets of lacing on the glass.

The nose is hoppy and sweet, with citrus and spicey hops the main players, while the malty backbone has just begun to peak its face through.

More spicey hops in the taste than I got in the nose, and the citrus and floral hops are gone, replaced by piney and resiny bitter hops. Malts come out a bit more in the taste. Still very hop forward without being one sided.

Light to medium in body, with a crisp carbonation and a lingering bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is great.

Overall, a great IPA, and I'm really glad that I got a chance to try this, as it looks like it's gaining popularity and not a lot of people have had a chance to try it. Canadians brew good beer too!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A-the pour gives hints of hop haze, mostly clear though, deep orangish amber color with hues of copper shining through. A white head is slightly thin; but nice and fluffy looking. It has decent retention and leaves a thick trail of lace that falls down right behind the head

S-this is big and juicy with tons of tropical fruits in the nose. Grapefruit, mango, and pineapple are strong with a light piney backbone

T-the taste is big and hoppy just like the nose. The is present but very light. Tropical fruits are strong with pineapple, mango towards the middle giving wayto a sweet and bitter grapefruit taste. Notes of herbal hops and grassy notes come in at the back as the bitterness from the grapefruit lingers for a moment

M-extremely creamy with a big medium body, very smooth with a great crisp finish from a well carbonated brew. This is juicy and wet but somehow slightly dry at the finish

D-this goes down so easy, great beer and one of the best IPA's out there. Hop lovers dream that doesn't let up with a great body and feel.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours dark orange, nice 2-finger rocky off-white head. Retains very well and leaves great lacing. Smell is great as well, huge citrus/tangerine + grapefruit scents, and maybe some apple etc. Taste is unexpected, doesn't match the smell at all. There is a strange unidentifiable taste right off the bat, I can't quite put a finger on it. Someone in another review said tea leaves, maybe that's it. The strange taste along with some grassy notes mask any other potential flavors, leaving a bready caramel aftertaste. From the smell I expected a fruity crisp IPA but that's not what I'm getting here. Not bad but I prefer usual IPA flavors over this. Mouthfeel is good, a little more creamy than average for the style with a smooth malty finish. Good, but definitely hindered I think from that strange taste.

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Nice copper-amber body. Good clarity. Huge off-white head. Nice and creamy with solid retention. Lacing provides good coverage of the glass after each sip.

S: Nice, if not mild, hop presence. Mostly grapefruit, orange and some light pine notes. Significant caramel sweetness.

T: Subdued blend of light, but pleasant citric and pine notes. More malt than the nose would suggest. People have described this as a prototypical west coast IPA, but I just didn't get that impression.

M: A bit lighter, in a thin-at-times kind of way. Nice bitterness throughout though. Slight astringent finish.

D: Overall, this was a solid, but not noteworthy IPA. On the plus side... it comes in cans which is a nice emerging trend.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

12oz Can provided by my MAINe hook-up Casey10. Thanks Brian! Served in a Nonic Pint Glass. No canned on or best-by-date.

A: Finger of nice, dense foam. Fades into a thin layer on top, riddled with different sized bubbled. Pours a pristine looking amber. Lacing is very nice for a IPA, leaving some soapy remains on the glass.

S: Fresh, grassy hops explode with some hints of citrus fruits. A big, sweet malty base balancing things out nicely. The b

T: Like I noted above, the raw resiny hoppiness is balanced perfectly by a solid malty backbone. There is some sweetness, but it's not cloying or overdone. Bitterness is present, but it's very fleeting and mostly on the finish.

M: Medium bodied. Great viscosity on this brew. There is a little stickiness, but not much. The ample, but not overabundant carbonation helps make this nice and smooth.

D: This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a sessionable IPA. The 6.5% ABV is never noticeable, the hoppiness and bitterness are there, but they don't abuse the palate.

I've been calling this Furious' little brother, and that's some very high praise. A truly fantastic IPA, from our neighbors up north no less! Do yourself a favor and track down a can (or 12) of this tasty brew. You won't be disappointed!

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Red Racer IPA has a very clear, dark golden colored body with highlights of red and orange. Slow moving carbonation bubbles slowly ascend to the fluffy, off-white head. The head settles to a foamy ring on top of the beer, leaving some good lacing along the side of the glass.

The aroma has a strong, bitter, grapefruit smell. Besides that there is a little bit of malt, but not much else. Lots of hops though, a quality aroma for an IPA.

Red Racer IPA is packed with hops like a good IPA should be. Tons of bitterness with flavors of grapefruit and pine resin. After that some caramel flavored malt brings some balance, but doesn't do much to get in the way of the hops. This is a quality, hopped-up IPA; I like it. Rating-wise it probably falls between a 4 and a 4.5, but I'm going with a 4 here.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with just a hair over moderate carbonation.

For a hop lover Red Racer IPA is a pretty good beer. I bought it because I dig craft beer in cans, but this stuff would be good poured out of anything.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

pours pale copper with quick dissipating head.

aroma is first hoppy. bright candied tangerine/ mandarine aroma. yummy. trace of alcohol and faintly malty. super yummy citrus nose.

on the palate the beer is crisp and fresh. medium body with good carbonation and clean malt. finishes lightly tart and hoppy

mouthfeel may be a bit light and dry for my tastes but fits the style.

overall, very drinkable. conceals its alcohol well and aside from being well made, is also interesting. highly recommend trying this beer.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers