Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewing

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

(Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

got as an extra.

a - pour is a murky golden color with an off-white head.

s - sweet pine hops. nose is big.

t - taste is very bitter, yet has a sweet malt undertone. more citrus hops than pine hops. slight metallic finish.

m - med/light body. leaves a dry finish.

overall - very solid IPA coming from Canada. I'll be looking for this when I visit the in-laws. very drinkable.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Hazy orange in color, light tan finger of fluffy head adorns, leaving nice little spiderwebs as it goes down.

Smell is very nice, ample bitterness, nice citrus, and a pleasant bouquet of floral, earthy hops. Slight malt undertones lend to the good balance.

Taste is initially citrus sweet, moving sharply to a raw bitter palate. The bitter lingers a bit, turning rather piny and woodsy. Mid way through the slight sweet malts give a breather in between nice hop finishes.

Feel is slightly crisp, with good carbonation levels, a little bit of a velvety finish, upper-light in body as a whole.

Drinkability; exceptional.

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can into a pint glass. Glad to see this now being distributed to Chicago. Thanks for picking up this sixer, Derek!

Pours a clear, deep, golden orange color with a one-finger head. Head retention is very light, as is lacing. Pine, orange citrus and floral hop notes lead the aroma with a mild bready malt backing. Orange citrus hoppy bitterness leads on the palette with a substantial caramel malt and bread component (for an IPA) on the midpalette and finish. The finish is fairly dry and bitter with lingering earthy and floral hop flavors and light boozy heat. Medium-light-bodied with moderate carbonation and a dry, slightly hot finish. Not overly drinkable because the flavors are not that interesting and it's a bit hot, but it's pretty easy on the palette for an IPA with its mild maltiness. This is the best hoppy beer I've had from Canada, but that's not saying much. Well worth trying and a decent IPA, but nothing worth going out of your way for.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

very very slightly hazy amberish copper with a huge eggshell colored head that leaps up to 1/2 an incah above the rim of the glass, retains a decent height for a while and laces well.

very hoppy aroma of citrus and tropical fruits with a ton of pine and grass. not a lot of malt detectable in this hop bomb.

hop flavors strike first and are actually not overly bitter. tons of juicy citrus with some pineapple and mango tropical fruits and some piney resin, though not as much pine influence as in the aroma. a touch of caramelized sugar sweetness creeps in on the swallow and the finish is juicy and it lasts a while with just a bit of bitterness but plenty of hop flavor.

resiny medium-bodied beer with generous carbonation and a wet and juicy finish.

excellent drinker. could enjoy a few of these back to back to back. pretty complex flavors for being "one dimensional" as far as being a hop bomb. worthy of its cult status.

The first time i had this beer was over a year ago, before it became known to BA, and before i knew about it. I randomly bought it in Vancouver on a whim. Now it's the Cats meow on BA and available in Chicago, stoked.

Great beer all around, clear non hazy light orange color, crisp citrusy nose, and a flavor that runs juicy tangerines all over your pallette, with some bitter peels floating around. Medium body maybe a tad heavy bodied for the style, and a generous helping of carbonation.

A great IPA. Pick some up.

Chad.

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from can into new belgium snifter. Pour is a reddish orange, similar to the color of dying leaves. Small white head that fades but leaves some nice lacing. Smell is bitter C hops, very piney, with a slight pale malt sweetness. Taste follows smell, a bitter pine hop flavor up front with some fruity hops following. A grassy hop finish with a weak malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a light carbonation, slightly sticky. Drinkability is decent but mouthfeel could be cleaner. This is the best Canadian IPA I have had so far - I lived an hour and a half from the brewery for years and had to go to Chicago to get it. If you are in Canada this is a must, but in the states it is a so so IPA.

3.35/5  rDev -21.2%

Thanks Dan, this was one I was really interested in trying, after hearing so many good things. Pours from the can a clear red-amber color, with a little white head on top. Aromas of grapefruit, pine and caramel. Smooth, medium-bodied, with grapefruit, earth and caramel. A little disappointing, but not bad.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Can from IllNate, ages ago. Review from the notes I made waaay back then, close to 5-6 months ago, just found em. In a pint glass, thanks Nathan.

Poured an orange/amber with slightly offwhite head, fluffy and creamy. SLightly hazy and lots of webbed lace. Nose is sharp pineiness, citrus, orange zest, peach and some sweet malt. Sweet malt hits the palate first, with a powerful and full orange/citrus flavour to it. Bitter pine strikes around the mid-mouth and remains in the long finish. Medium carbonation. Finish isn't too dry, and neither is the mouthfeel. Drinkability is huge, and the ABV is not detectable at all. One of the best in Canada, always on my wants list!

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Pours into my New Glarus pint glass a crystal clear copper with a fluffy head that evaporated shortly.

Smells of floral, pine and ample grapefruit. Picking up some bready malt as well.

Grapefruit at the forefront with notes of passion fruit and teal leaves. Not as bitter as I thought it would be. The hops shine though but that biscuity, sweet malt is always present. Nice balance.

Dry finish, light body and perfect carbonation makes this hella-drinkable!

Not sure this stands up with many of the IPAs I hold dear. In fact, this is much more akin to it's close cousin the APA. Regardless... it's more than worth the $8/4-pack price tag.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

A light copper colour with a huge white head, that lingers and laces down the glass. The nose brings lots of citrus notes with hints of ginger. The taste is all hops, it starts out cirtrusy then ends with resiny bitterness on the back of the pallet, with just enough malt to balance it out. A crisp easy drinking beer, I'm no hop head, but I find this quite enjoyable.

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

355mL can, poured into my Bell's pint glass. I usually smoke down copious amounts of Two Hearted from this pint glass. I love Two Hearted.

A: Really nice coppery-amber colour that pours with a 1cm head. The head dissipates to a white film on top, but light lacing persists the whole way down.

S: Smell is the most powerful sense attached to memory, and I'm definitely in two of my favourite places here. Back at my Grandpa's "winter" trailer in Central Florida, somewhere near a citrus grove. And about 50 yards left of the 11th fairway at some random golf course in the Carolinas, hitting a chip-out 7-iron off of the pine needles. I fuckin' love beer.

T: Exactly what I want in an IPA. The hops are the star of the show, with great bittering, flavour, and aroma characteristics coming through. Citrus zest and coniferous sap abound. The malt backbone is there, but only in the BACKground, as it should be.

M: Just the right amount of carbonation to wake up my tastebuds for the flavour "knee to the nuts" they're about to receive. Smooth.

D: Most good IPA's have me waking up in the morning feeling as though someone tried to asphyxiate me with a rag soaked in turpentine, especially if I have more than one. I smoked down five of these bad boys during a spirited game of euchre. Woke up at 7am, with no trace of Red Racer left behind. Bravo.

Note. I just had a Two Hearted after finishing a Red Racer, and I can honestly say that Red Racer is AT LEAST as good. At this level, we're comparing a Mercedes to a BMW. They're both great, both deserving of any praise they receive. If I had a gun to my head, and I had to choose a favourite, it'd be Red Racer, by a nose.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours pale hazy amber-gold with a stiff, rocky head that leaves solid creamy sheets. Sinus clearing resin, orange and skunk nose - I'd be hard pressed to know I was sniffing fresh Centennial hops. Lemon sorbet and papaya malts - just enough to balance, the hops are trying to poke through from the start - with dueling pine, grapefruit and pineapple hops. Lingering citrus bitterness. Light to medium, creamy, soft and round, no burn.

Never seen every single angle of the C-hops working so well in the same beer. Brings hefty hops in both flavor and IBUs, yet somehow drinks as light as SNPA.

Reputation deserved - a bit of a wonder in a can.

3.53/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from blinded tasting notes.

A. Pours orange with a creamy white head that leaves bits of residual lacing.

S. Smells of orange and lemon peels.

T. Tropical flavors with lemon peel and caramel malt.

M. Medium body with medium carbonation - not nearly as carbonated as the other IPAs in the round (Sculpin, Stone).

D. Not carbonated enough nor hoppy enough for an IPA.

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

12oz. can poured into an oversized tulip.

A: Pours a hazy orange/amber with 3 fingers of fluffy white head which leaves behind ample sticky lacing.

S: Tropical fruit and pine.

T: Pine, grapefruit, passion fruit. The finish is pure piney bitterness but it does not linger unpleasantly.

M: Perfect for the style: medium body, adequate carbonation.

D: Gimme another! ;)

Definitely the best single IPA in Canada. Probably my favourite overall but I have not tried that many from the US.

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Found this at my favorite bottle shop today and snagged a can since I've heard so many good things.

A - Copper-gold hue with a frothy head that faded to a thin layer in less than a minute. Great clarity. Sparse carbonation.

S - Pine and grapefruit, but it's very pungent and dank. There's some pale malt behind everything. No noticeable caramel, which is nice for a change.

T - Grapefruit pith with a big pine-y burst. Bitterness is on the low end for the style. The hops are really flavor forward, with a light, backing pale malt sweetness. The finish is mostly pine.

MF - Slighty dry with a really light feel to it. It has some body, but the carbonation works really well to keep it feeling light.

D - It drinks a lot more like an APA than an IPA. There's little sweetness, but it still isn't all that dry. Lots of hop flavor but not a ton of bitterness. If I could get this regularly and at a decent price, I'd drink it pretty often.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Nice medium to even yellow in color.

S- hops hops hops. citrus notes.

T- A nice hoppy taste not to bold but just right. Citrus fruity notes.

M- less dry and creamy for a ipa.

D- Different with red racer. I think using the same approach to there pale ale but just dump alot of hops to make there ipa. But it works.

Cheers..

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

I picked up a six pack from Julio's in Massachusetts, $12.99. Pricier than expected but I've had an eye out for this for nearly a year so I grabbed it.

It pours a dark golden color, more orange than golden, with a dense, solid foam. Lots of lacing too. The aroma is just what I'd hoped for, very citrus-forward with grapefruit and orange, also some pine sap, all the great things hops can do. A bit of caramel malt to balance it, which is sort of a shame per my preferences but works sometimes.

The beer tastes really good, the hops are expressed more with flavor than bitterness, although the bitterness IS there. Grapefruit, pine needle, etc. Not enough caramel malt to cause problems, but then again this is a 6.5% ABV construction. I suspect if Central City made a DIPA it would be the barleywine type but luckily this IPA is just fine.

Good carbonation and body, altogether a worthwhile treat. The only real complaint is cost, I can't say it's really better than Two Hearted or several from Lagunitas, all of which can be had for $9-10 per sixer. But I guess it matches the difficulty to find the beer.

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A: Pours a clear amber color with a nice off white, one finger head. Head dissipated to a nice layer of bubbles on the top and down the sides as I drank.

S: Lots of citrus on the nose, some grapefruit and pineapple, really nice hop aroma.

T: Very refreshing, more hops here with the grapefruit and pineapple dominating. Slightly bitter finish, leaves a sticky feeling.

M/D: Medium bodied with nice carbonation. Extremely easy drinking, this was a great beer. I wish I had bought a few more cans.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked this up in a mixed sixer from Julio's after wanting to try it for a while. Poured into a goblet, this thing is a hop bomb, lots of awesome piney aroma going on here. Copper color, real crisp with a sharp bite. This is definitely a great IPA, especially since I know I harbor some secret bias against craft beer in cans. Definitely worth picking up.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My go to IPA the last summer probably about the 100th can I have had. Yeah it is balanced towards hops but I don't care it is a rip snortin IPA in a can that is awesome. Have had it on tap and I rocks there to.My go to IPA the last summer probably about the 100th can I have had. Yeah it is balanced towards hops but I don't care it is a rip snortin IPA in a can that is awesome. Have had it on tap and I rocks there to.

Poured slowly into a pint glass from a 12oz can.

This beer is nicely carbonated. It has excellent hop character and aroma that is very well balanced with the malt bill. This an incredibly well-rounded flavorful west-coast style IPA that is very easy to drink.

I would keep a 6-er of this in the fridge if I could find it again!

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

A 12 oz. can ~ 1 of 2 brought to Portland by BanditBrewingCo... how crazy that a Boston-area BA brings this British Colombian brew practically back home. Surrey is just 300 mi. north of here... Poured to a pint glass.

Eye-catching can design: lots of contrasting red and green, a burly criser bike ridden by a lovely lass, red hair and skirt a-flyin' against a squiggly backdrop of hop cones and leaves. She's hot. A keeper.

A: Popped the top and...a GUSHER! Ivory foam builds rapidly, an oozing eruption from the can; fortunately I caught nearly every drop. Cloudy, unfiltered complexion in a chestnut/auburn pour; a few small flecks of fallout rest at the bottom of the glass. Decent carbonation, but of any great strength or abundance. Lace as thick and white as the stockings worn by the girl on the can...sorry, I really can't stop looking at the label.

S: Piney hops pop from the glass at first...the aroma wafts from 3' feet away where the glass sat on the table. Scent subsides and becomes more 'musty grain' and duller hops, still good strength just not as enticing.

T: Wow! Now, that's an IPA: big caramel malt and pine tree resin and peppery spice to match. Green salad herbs, cut grass, plenty of pithy rind bitterness that tingles like an Arizona grapefruit. For all the brutishness of the hops, malts work deftly to balance - a little candy sweetness in the finish amidst the greenness.

M: A mouthwatering coating of hop oils gives this a 'juicy' feel; medium body and crisp carbonation. A little slick, then a lasting bitter finish.

D: Wonderful IPA, captures the 'Northwest Style' with a not-so-brash bitterness that falls well within the range of IPAs I enjoy.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance - Copper-amber color, medium carbonation, one finger head, retention in my cleanest glass shows each sip I took long after the fact. Very clear.

Smell - Possibly biscuity, the hops really overwhelm the malt though. Hops have a leafy/grassy smell. No estery aromas.

Taste - Much stronger than the aroma, bitterness is high, the four varieties of hops used create a complex taste that goes bitter, medium intensity, then a slight sweet or mild taste at the end that holds on. It does not hold on for a week like their Winter Ale. (Maybe having it 7 days/week last year was not normal consumption)

Mouthfeel - Excellent mouthfeel, swirl it around and enjoy. Just right for the style, body is there but does not take over.

Drinkability - This is my favorite IPA, and in terms of taste I would rate it A+ overall as this is what makes it really stand out. I have no idea how this review will score it, but I signed up with BA in order to rate this delicious beer from my hometown. I have to admit I've had several gallons of this in growlers, so if you are in the Vancouver area you would be better to stop in to fill up a growler or two as I noticed their best beers are not in cans. This is the IPA I use as a standard when I experiment with creating my own IPA's at home.

Although this is my home town beer I would still recommend actually coming out to the brewpub to try most of what they have to offer. Like the reviews of the pub say, some staff couldn't care about the quality of beer, and some recognize it for what its worth, but trying everything on tap is an awesome night out. Sunday special with 1/2 price pizza and $3.50 pints is great.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Acquired from TheManiacalOne so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a hazy caramel color with a one finger of creamy, white head. Head recedes quickly leaving spots of sticky lacing.

S: Nose is big piney and citrus hops with a nice light caramel malt hint.

T: Taste starts with a nice bitter pine hops flavoring. A bit of bite from floral hop notes that is evened out with a caramel malt flavoring. Bitterness somewhat hangs on in the back of your throat.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, creamy body with a sticky finish.

D: Goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, nice representation of style. This is an IPA worth sitting with for a while.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

I'm pretty excited to try this beer. It's been around for a while in my neck of the woods, and I've overlooked it until now. I don't know why... I like canned beers, I love IPAs, but for some reason this one never appealed to me until I heard a bunch of hubbub. Let's see how it stacks up...

Nice even pour out of the can, crystal clear and almost fizzy with bubbles, bright and brassy. The aroma is deep into hop territory - definite grapefruit rind (yes!) and other citrus, almost a hint of cilantro. A good sign. And yes, it tastes delicious. Citrus hop profile, nice and bitter but not as biting or brash as I had expected. Lots of grapefruit, resiny, oily, real tasty. Malt is hiding somewhere. As nice as the hoppy feel good flavor is, I'm almost more impressed with the texture of this beer. It's just so dang light on the palate, airy and joyously quaffable. Not that it lacks body, and some IPAs are great with a chewy mouthfeel, but this is almost like an uber-hopped pale ale or something. Crisp like a lager, and like I said it's crystal clear. I'd love to try an unfiltered version (?) of this sometime to see the difference.

A totally awesome IPA. Would drink again. And again.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewing