Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 459 | Hads: 1,001
4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Red Racer IPA looks good when held up to a bright summer afternoon sun; what appears gunky and smeared becomes a glowing, confident orange tone. The depth of its colour won't allow full fledged transparency but it becomes clear that its complexion is actually, well, clear. As for its head, even Michelangelo couldn't paint it any better.

The hoppiness in this bouquet is as big as an SUV. It is piercingly citric and has enough bitter resins to singe your nose hairs off. It has all the pungency of onions and reeks a little like them too. Fortunately, fruit factors in more heavily than vegetables and mango, orange and grapefruit would give this a most tropical air... if only they didn't smell so bitter!

If I could frame this taste and put it on my wall I would. It's like the most delicious creme brulee I can image - cream, sugar and vanilla custard - topped with candied grapefruit, orange zest and chunks of fresh mango. It is at once rich but light enough to be considered sessionable. And it has an almost spicy bite on the finish that is appreciably refreshing.

Red Racer IPA has the level of violent and gluttonous, tongue-splitting, palate wrenching bitterness that you'd expect someone like Quentin Tarantino would write for an IPA. Yet, curiously, it's irresistibly drinkable. On the aftertaste, the bitter, resiny, pithy flavours give way to more succulent, sweet tastes of caramel, cream and sugar. "Smooth" as they say.

This had a lot of hype precede it and often that means that it's bound to disappoint. With this one, however, I don't know that any expectations could exceed the quality and character of what is, for all intents and purposes, one of the finest, highly regarded IPAs I've tried. Don't try one - buy at least six. Trust me, you'll race through 'em fast enough. (1,804 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

This beer was poured out of a 355ml can with some cool art that depicts a racey redhead riding a bike. A nice copper colored brew with a small white head.

Smell of pine and some malt in the background. A sip brings a bitterness to the back of the tongue. The pine comes through in the taste, a very light citrus note, the malt is in there somewhere. The hop bitterness sticks around in the finish with a light mouthfeel.

This is a great IPA and probably the best IPA that is available in this area on a regular basis. (521 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A - amber, slight haze, moussy white head, leaves nice sticky lace behind.

S - piney, bitter grapefruit, very hop forward nose, very fresh/raw,

T - more pine and bitter grapefruit up front, barely balanced by the malt, tropical fruit too, lingering pine bitterness, very smooth hop flavour despite being quite agressive.

M - low carbonation, med light body, not overly creamy, light astringency from the hops, dry puckering finish really brings out the smooth bitterness

D - damn, I'm gulping this down while I review, superb stuff.

Before doing this review, I had brewed up a batch of barleywine. So when I first grabbed the glass of Red Racer IPA for an initial sniff I thought, "hmm, guess I didn't wash my hands very well, they reek of raw hops." Turns out my hands were squeaky clean, it was the Red Racer!

Ultra fresh, agressive pine notes are a tough thing to pull off properly, and Red Racer has done it flawlessly. This is about as hoppy as a single IPA can get without being an over the top mess. It's a straight up IPA, but there are lots of interesting hop flavours. I am very sad I only have the one can. More people need to know about this beer, it is easily the best IPA in Canada that has touched my lips!

Thanks to Canucklehead for the can! (1,265 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Pours clear copper/golden colour with 2 fingers worth of creamy off white head. Settles to a solid cap and leaves tons of lacing.

S: Piney hops and caramel malt. Might be a little citrus in the background.

T: Piney hops, grapefruit and some caramel malt. It has a hoppy and sweet finish.

M: Light to medium carbonation with a medium body. Very easy to drink.

D: Easily one of the best Ipa's that I've ever had. It wasn't short on anything. I could easily sit down and have a bunch of these. Makes for a perfect session Ipa. I'll be making this one a regular pick up. (579 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Clear amber with a dense white head. Leaves nice rings of lace.

S - Pungent grapefruit hops. Hints of orange, pine and honey.

T - Big hoppiness and a well-balanced sweet malty backbone. Lots of grapefruit pith and a lingering aftertaste.

M - Slick, oily body. Moderate-light carbonation. Very smooth.

D - Good straight-up, hoppy IPA. Tasty and drinkable. (362 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from can into Philadelphia Brewing Company tumbler pint glass...

A - Hazy orange - Creamy thick offwhite head that hangs around- nice sticky lacing

S - Like a Pine forest hit with a Orange-citrus Nuke!! An explosion of sappy pine resin, evergreen pine needles, and fresh orange juice and zest; also a nicely complementing caramel-biscuit backbone (just enough to keep things closer to balanced)

T - All of the above notes...tastes like putting pine needles and cones in a blender with fresh oranges, dried biscuits, and sweet caramel, and hitting puree! Delicious!

Mouthfeel - Nice creamy carbonation, medium bodied, not overly syrupy...great stuff!

Overall - I love this beer, and when you get it fresh (1 month old or less) it is superb. I would love to have this on draft! IMO it should be higher up on the list of Top American IPAs - - probably the best example of a Pine-focused IPA I've ever had! Great Stuff! Definitely try it! Especially you hopheads!

Cheers!

Note: After pouring the beer...hang onto the can...it will smell of pine for a while after the beer is gone...fun to sniff...smells awesome!

Caution - - When purchasing Pale Ales of any strength...especially "Americans" be sure to find out how fresh it is...if you want that exceptional hop nose you want it fresh...b/w 1-3 months from package date (otherwise you will end up with cloying near-undrinkable malt-bombs...not tasty) (1,413 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

473ml can poured into a standard craft beer glass(Not a shaker pint)

A: Light amber almost gold in color. A fine thick head adorns the crown of this IPA, leaving beautiful lacing that stays with a tenacity which I previously reserved only for 3rd world street vendors.

S: Upon dipping my nose near the glass I immediately recoiled back in shock and looked around me. The notes of Pine so strong I was convinced utterly I had suddenly awoken In a grove of towering evergreens. Finally convinced I was still in my house I tried to delve deeper into the aroma. Gentle notes of citrus showed them selves the more I looked, lingering into a delightful floral finish.

T: Not Bad

M: Just thick enough to linger upon your tongue as you sip yet not so thick that it becomes an unpleasant experience. It dances and swirls about leaving a fine, crisp and refreshing feeling finish in your mouth begging for the next tantalizing taste. So much so that I am actually on my 7th one as I write this review.

Summary: Would buy again. (1,026 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Hazy orange in color, light tan finger of fluffy head adorns, leaving nice little spiderwebs as it goes down.

Smell is very nice, ample bitterness, nice citrus, and a pleasant bouquet of floral, earthy hops. Slight malt undertones lend to the good balance.

Taste is initially citrus sweet, moving sharply to a raw bitter palate. The bitter lingers a bit, turning rather piny and woodsy. Mid way through the slight sweet malts give a breather in between nice hop finishes.

Feel is slightly crisp, with good carbonation levels, a little bit of a velvety finish, upper-light in body as a whole.

Drinkability; exceptional. (624 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Deep orange/copper color with a full sturdy white head.

Terrific hop aroma with loads of citrus.

The taste I look for in an IPA with grapefruit, piney, grassy but some balancing maltiness.

Mouthfeel is very good.

Drinkability is where this beer will shine. I can only imagine how many I could drink of this beer without any feeling of too much of a good thing.

What a great beer. I think this beer stacks up with my favourite Surly Furious. At first I doubted the hype...now I am a believer.

I tried 18 different IPA's last week in a tasting but not the Red Racer. This would have been the pick of the litter!

Taking a 24 back home to Sask with me. (686 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. The beer pours a vibrant orange with a copper center. There is a sticky bubbly two finger head that fades to a tight cap, leaving sheets of sticky lacing on the walls of the glass.

The smell is outstanding. Citrus, oranges, mangos, grapefruit and lemon zest. Along with all the citrus there is a decent amount of pine. There is just a hint of caramel and sugared candy in the background.

The taste is not as defined, or pronounced as the smell, but still good. The citrus notes are first and foremost, mango, pineapple, oranges and lemon zest. The piney bitterness plays second fiddle, and all the hops are nicely balanced by caramel malts.

The beer is well carbonated, well balanced and the alcohol is well hidden. This is a great session IPA, something I will enjoy for sure in the summer months. (840 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

This fine brew was an extra in a recent trade with mikesgroove. (Thanks man!) Enjoyed in a nonic pint glass.

Appearance:
The color is deep gold tinged with orange, and it is slightly hazy. The foam on top is snowy white and doesn't leave much lacing. Head retention is low.

Smell:
A great start! I opened this one on a counter at waist-height, and I immediately smelled a good gust of tropical and citrusy hops. Lots of grapefruit and orange peel and pine up front, along with notes of fresh papaya and pineapple. There's some bready and malty sweetness too, but it's far behind the hops.

Taste:
Starts with flavors of oranges and sweet bread, like an orange muffin. A big wave of citrus hop flavor and bitterness comes through next, filled with notes of grapefruit, dried papaya, and pine sap. The tropical fruitiness and pine give way to a tasty biscuit-y maltiness at the swallow, though the citrus and bitterness persist through the end and into the aftertaste. This is a terrific example of a West Coast-leaning American IPA: very hop-forward, but with enough malt to keep it from being one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel:
Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Starts crisp, goes smooth through the middle, and ends with a mild and drying astringency which begs for the next sip.

Drinkability:
I wish I had a lot more of this beer. Partly because I'd love to stack it up against some of the West Coast's best IPA's in a blind taste test, and partly because this is a fantastic IPA which I'd love to drink again. And again. Central City Brewing should be extremely proud of this one. I'm about to go add it to my Wants list. (1,628 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Shogokawada wowed me with this box o' beer.

POus a really bright orange gold. It practically glows. Pretty. Three or four inch off-white head.

Huge grapefruit and pineapple aroma. Wow. That's one fine smelling beer. Very nice! Fresh white grapefruit and tropical notes abound.

Taste is good. No malt presence, just straight-up orange, big grapefruit, a splash of bittering pine (just a splash, this is mainly citrus), and the tropical aroma does carry through into the flavor. Very bright and tangy.

Nice mouthfeel. Fluffy. No real body to it. Insanely drinkable. (568 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a perfectly clear light orange copper. Great light tan head, 1.5 fingers tall. Good retention, decent lacing.

S - tons of fresh grapefruit and citrusy/juicy fruit aromas. Sweet caramel malts are relatively mild.

T - quite bitter, mango/pineapple/orange rinds, very resinous. Slightly dry bitterness lingers through the finish. Very refreshing.

M - medium/light bodied, decent carbonation. Very drinkable/refreshing

O - fantastic bitterness, crispness and refreshing, easy to drink. Delicious (505 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My go to IPA the last summer probably about the 100th can I have had. Yeah it is balanced towards hops but I don't care it is a rip snortin IPA in a can that is awesome. Have had it on tap and I rocks there to.My go to IPA the last summer probably about the 100th can I have had. Yeah it is balanced towards hops but I don't care it is a rip snortin IPA in a can that is awesome. Have had it on tap and I rocks there to. (420 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can poured into a Goose Island IPA tulip glass. Courtesy of Casey10 - thanks again, man!

A - Medium-dark amber and cloudy, with a massive white head leaving behind excellent lace trails.

S - Tons of floral hops joined with notes of lemon, grapefruit, and caramel.

T - Grapefruit juice blended with a flower garden...aromatic, tart, and awesome. Perfect amount of caramel maltiness to stand up to the hop barrage. Finish is simultaneously (and deliciously) malty and bitter enough to please.

M - Pretty substantial for an IPA; well-carbonated, lively, and crisp.

D - Oh yes - this is about as good a balanced IPA as I've had.

What a beer...seriously challenges Furious for being the best IPA in a can. Superb stuff; I can't wait to have it again. (751 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12 oz. can poured into an Allagash tulip glass. Enjoyed chilled on a nice warm day.

Appearance: Medium orange in color with a bit of cloudiness throughout. Three finger beige head with excellent retention. Really nice looking beer.

Aroma: Pine, grapefruit, and tons of tropical fruit. Nice balance of bitter and sweet hops. Hop forward, but a touch of biscuit notes from the malt are present.

Taste: The hops excel here as well. Pineapple, mango, grapefruit and pine are all present in incredible balance. A ton of flavor for this ABV. Crisp and refreshing. Near perfect.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp. Perfect from the can or poured into a glass.

Overall, an awesome, hoppy, balanced IPA. Definitely one of my favorites and an awesome choice from the can. Highly recommended. A new favorite. (810 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance - Pours a warm orange-amber hue with a finger width of white bubbly head. Slightly cloudy and bubbly.

Smell - Citrus/grapefruit, robust hops, passion fruit - overall, a light, crisp, and fruity scent.

Taste - Starts with a light citrus flavour, then hits you with a gentle kick of hops. Leaves a nice bitter and citrusy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light-to-Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A touch of fluffiness to the feel. Very refreshing on the palate.

Overall - A great, well-crafted IPA by Central City Brewing. There are some wonderful aromas and the taste remains true to the IPA style. Definitely a must try. (635 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a clear, golden amber colour with a moderate-sized tan-coloured head that sticks around as a thin collar while leaving spotty lacing.

Very rich and surprisingly fresh aroma. Lots of tropical fruit smells like mango, pineapple as well as grapefruit, pine and even a cherry note. Fresh grains, creamed honey and a nice lightly toasted wheat smell make up the backing.

The taste has a bread-like malt tone to start before a crisp grapefruit-like citrus tone punches the palate. A buttery caramel comes through on the tongue and the finish has an assertive, but under control bitterness.

Fairly thin mouthfeel. Crisp start, mild carbonation and prickly sensation from the long-lasting collar. It gets very oily and a slight tartness lingers on the back of the tongue just enough to make you want another sip.

This beer certainly deserves its reputation. It is hands-down the best Canadian-brewed example of a West Coast IPA I've tried to this point. It's rich with well-balanced aroma and flavour and has a solid bitterness in the finish.

I'm very glad I had the chance to try it, but a the same time it's bittersweet because I know it'll be a while before I can try it again. Get it while you can Ontario! (1,213 characters)

355ml can poured into Unibroue glass nov2 2009

A crystal clear golden amber with a thumbs width of head after a hard pour. it has decent retention with a few rings of lace

S very nice almost like I'm smelling a glass of grapefruit and tangerine juice. I also pick up on a little bit of booze, pine and some caramel to go along with the floral citrus

T tastes as it smells with a little bit of malt to balance things out. very good example for this style and the best canned beer I can think of

M thick enough to please me but I'm wondering if a little more carbonation might help its cause

D smell and sip a few times and its gone, very nice beer and I wish I had more of it

one of if not the best Canadian IPA's I've ever tried with out doubt. I'm even more impressed by the fact it comes from a can, much less impressed by not finding it east of BC far as I know. drink this whenever you get the chance it's a winner (926 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

Lots of hype around this one. I'm excited!

Pours a slightly chill-hazed bright orange with a decent 1 cm head that keeps for a bit before reducing, leaving some very nice lacing marks on my glass.

Smell is full of rich pine-y notes and some of the juiciest citrus notes I have ever come across. Some nice bread, maple sugar and biscuit in the background too. Encouraging indeed!

Taste is lively with lots of piney, grapefruity-citrus hops right up front and throughout intermixed with caramel and a good amount of bready malt flavours on the finish and linger which provide for a beautifully hoppy yet balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel is bright and prickly with a surprising touch of cream and a bit of that classic IPA oilyness. The Finish is nice and clean with a touch of spice on the linger.

As for drinkability, there's not much to complain about. I could see myself drinking a few of these in 1 sitting way too easily. It goes down real smooth and provides for an interesting enough taste experience to satisfy any palate. It delivers everything an IPA lover would want but doesn't go overboard in any way - when it comes to this beer, balance is bliss.

All this from a can? Are you kidding me?!?!

I don't know if I've ever felt so privileged to have such open access to a beer before. (1,290 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

Straight out of the can, then another poured into a Sam Adams glass.

The pour was surprisingly nice considering it glugged out of a can. It set up with a nice, thick foamy head that stuck around for the first third of the beer, and replenishes nicely as you go.

The smell was great. If you've ever picked hops from the vine, you'll recognize the smell right away. The scent is extremely reminiscent of raw, unadulterated hops, which is pretty cool. The best part is, the can traps the smell nicely, so you can keep the can around while you're drinking and take some sweet, hoppy whiffs.

The taste mirrors the hop smell. If you could liquefy raw cascade hops, they would taste like this. Fruity, sweet, slightly bitter. Just delicious.

The constantly-replenishing head makes this a smooth drinker, although I would recommend pouring it to maximize the enjoyment of the foam.

Of course, because this sucker is in a can, drinkability is off the charts. It tastes great coming out of the can, even if you can't conveniently pour it.

All-around phenomenal beer. I'm pumped it's made its way out to MA. (1,102 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I drank this from a 12oz can into my Orval glass.

The beer pours a very clear light orange with an off white head that only rises about half a finger and is gone right away.

The aroma is really nice. Perfect combination and sweet and better. Starts off with a really nice sweet citrus fading into a perfect amount of hops, enough to know they are there but not all dominating.

The taste is equally as nice. It starts off a little sweet then fades into a great hoppy finish. An almost pefect ipa balance because in neither respect does the other overpower the other.

The feel is nice, with a very long lasting dry finish.

Overall, this was a great little ipa. Could almost be a really nice ipa sessional (710 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: beautiful white color head with deep orange body

Smell:grapefruits!! and lots of other citrus fruits such as oranges, pineapples and somewhat appple like,

Taste: awesome upfront citrus blast with a nice bitter finish at the end..just enough malt backbone to make it somewhat balanced.

Mouthfeel:very thick and oily from the hops i love it!!

Drinkability: all day!! (380 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a cellar temperature can into a tumbler glass. The liquid has a light brown color. There is a lot of carbonation rising up from the bottom. The head is very big, foamy, and made up of tan bubbles. The beer has a great aroma. It's full of fresh hops and not too sweet. Maybe there's a bit of brown sugar or molasses, but it's hidden by all of the aromatic hops. The flavor starts out with some grassy hops and a touch of sweetness I could detect in the aroma. It builds up to a big bitter taste that lingers on after I swallow. It's piney and citrusy. It's a full bodied IPA and each swallow leaves a bit of a sticky coat, but not as much as some imperial IPAs (what I'm trying to say is this beer has the consistency of beer that usually has a sweeter mouthcoat). The carbonation is apparent on my tongue. This is an extremely drinkable IPA. I have gone through a number of cans in an afternoon, but I've also sat back and slowly sipped a single 12 ounce serving. This is an IPA any fan of the style should seek out. (1,028 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear orange color with plenty of compact carbonation bubble streams. The pillowy head has incredible retention and utterly coats the glass in lace. Pure PacNW hops fill my nostrils on the first sniff. More nuanced cookie dough malt aromas quickly follow making for a very pleasant nose. The taste is replete with yummy hop flavors - grapefruit, pine, melon, mango (?), floral notes... very complex. Equally impressive is the malt profile, very fresh and seamlessly integrated with the hop barrage. The mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated with velvety tiny bubbles. The finish is everything the beer is, bitter, complex, contemplative, and it lasts for ever.

This the best Canadian IPA I have yet tried. This can go toe to toe with the great West Coast IPAs (e.g. Hop Ottin, Green Flash IPA, Stone IPA). An immodest amounts of hops yet by no means a simple hop tea... the bready malts never give in and retreat.

Seek this out. (935 characters)

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers