Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) | Central City Brewers + Distillers

YOUR RATING = None |

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers
British Columbia, Canada | website

Style: American IPA

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

Added by canucklehead on 04-10-2009

Reviews: 478 | Ratings: 1,062
4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Thanks to Rutager for dropping this 12 oz. can as an extra into a recent box. Had this on tap during trips to Vancouver years ago & really enjoyed it, so very happy to have a few sips in the comfort of my own pig sty. Best by 5/2/13 stamped on the bottom, whatever that means.

The pour is non-stop orange, clear as a bell (sound-wise, not sight-wise), with a nice white cap if that's your thing. Actually reminds me a bit of champagne. Nose consists of citrus, pine, bitterness, & a bit of sweet, malt-dipped bread.

Red Racer could be used as a defibrillator. This patient has had too many barrel aged stouts, quick, grab the Red Racer....wham! Beep beep beep. Over-the-top hops start with tongue-fired bitterness before opening the trench coat to reveal drippy, thick pine sap. Faint light fruits, but their overwhelmed by the bitterness. Mid-palate come a few dry, crumbling flowers along with burnt caramel. Bitterness reasserts itself on the end, & I do believe the top of my mouth is actually a little singed & tender. Very syrupy for a good IPA, which I find unusual - usually syrupy = over malty. I could drink this until the Twins won another World Series.

Well, I do believe this doesn't suck. If you like your IPAs with balance, stay away. If you like your IPAs like they should be, drink this. Excellent with undertones of wonderful: a top-shelf IPA.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Received in a trade with wordemupg.

G: Pint Glass

A: Dark orange body, one inch of white head with pour retention, leaves fine lacing.

S: Very strong hops and citrus fruits. I can pick out grapefruit and orange, but the others just blend together.

T: Strong grapefruit aroma, along side with pine and orange. Faint caramel notes in the end.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation. It's smooth and creamy around the mouth. There is a distinct pine-bitterness that lingers in the mouth for a very long time.

D: I'm very glad I received this beer in a trade. It's an exceptional IPA and I wish I had local access to it. It's very easy to drink minus the (very) strong bitter/hoppy finish.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

My first foray into craft beer in a can. I'm a believer!

A - After vigorously pouring into a Sebago Brewing Company tulip glass, a thick foamy white head sat atop a hazy amber concoction. The head quickly settled to a thin, tight layer. Didn't leave much lacing.

S - Great pine sap & grapefruit aromas arise after a strong even pour from the can.

T - Hops come through strong, with lots of bitterness lingering. Syrupy, rich hop flavor with a strong malt presence that doesn't overwhelm.

M - Lighter feeling than you'd expect. It looks, smells and tastes like it should have a super-thick mouthfeel, but surprisingly clean, and sharply carbonated.

D - Very drinkable, I love this beer. It sits a little heavy, and the 6.5% ABV hits you immediately. I may have gulped this down a little too fast.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Was finally able to get my hands on a 6'er of this. Very much anticipated and definitely managed to meet and exceed my expectations.

A - Slightly foggy golden copper/orange, pouring a thin layer of head with a solid lacing ring.

S - Sweet pine needles and cedar sprigs, with a surprisingly strong citrus finish.

T - Super sweet citrus with a very bitter finish. I was quite surprised by the hop bomb that this can concealed. I had developed some expectations, and they were more than achieved. Lemon citrus, with some noticeable alcohol content, and a gin-like finish. Very delicious balance.

M - Mouthfeel was a bit heavier than I would have expected, but still reasonably light.

D - Very delicious and highly recommended to any IPA fan. At $17.00 per 6-pack it's a little on the pricey side, but well worth it. Very glad to have this in Alberta!

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Hazy, golden-yellow with shades of copper. Huge, pillowy, foamy head that settles into small piles of thick foam. Very sticky lace. With a quick swirl, the head shoots back up into a few inches of fluffy bubbles. Good head retention. One if the finest looks for a beer I've ever seen.

S - Very piney with hints of mango as well as grapefruit and other citrus. Everything an IPA should smell like.

T - Tons of delicious fruit up front. Refreshing. Mango comes to mind as does grapefruit. All finished with pine and cedar flavors. Perfect bitterness and the right amount of complementary malt in the finish to keep the hops as the star.

M - Extremely enjoyable to drink. Not overly bitter with the right amount of dryness and carbonation. Actually, thirst quenching.

A fantastic West Coast IPA!

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Copper Brown, slight orange colour. Little apparent carbonation, thin white head becomes a film. Chunky lacing.

S: Fruity citra tropical hops scream from the can as you open it. So fruity. Tropical pineapple and papaya and mangos. Spice and pine on the end. I think of yellow jello in smell. Floral. Wow. My first this strong.

T: Again wow. Its not as strong as I was expecting from the smell, but the flavours all come through with a nice sweetness that is not overwealming but rather subdued. There’s not the overburn of say the Flying Monkey’s Atomic one, making it more drinkable and palatable and delicious. I am getting fruitloops in the mouth as an aftertaste. Bitterness is of course there in the mouth afterward, but the sweetness and balance made me not even realize this at first until I payed attention.

M: Low carbonation, medium to heavy body that is moderately syrupy.

O: Awesome. Liking it. Its up there for me.

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Crystal clear copper colored beer with a thin off white head. Decent lacing for the small amount of head. Fairly dark for an IPA, almost amber.

S - Lovely smell. Huge citrus hop aroma. Lots of tangerines and ruby red grapefruit.

T - Well balanced. Taste follows the nose, with some toasty malt behind the hops. Definitely the tastiest single IPA I've ever had from a can, and one of the better ones I can remember, period.

M - Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation and just a hit of resinous slickness.

D - Downed the first can in about 2 minutes flat. This is a seriously drinkable beer. I'd bring a case of this to a BBQ in a heartbeat.

Great beer. Definitely a welcome addition to the growing number of fine beers in a can. I love a good canned beer in the summer, and you really can't beat this one for less than $2 a can in a 6-pack.

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

355ml can, served in Bellwoods tulip

A - Billowy head, sticks around for a bit, a little lacing. Red/golden yellow body

S - Citrus, a little bread, some pine/resin

T - Beautiful. Body wise, it's somewhere between an regular and an imperial. Nice crystal malts, with citrus hops, but not over-powering. No citra, I think. My can is a little old, but it had more sharpness to it before. It's mellowed well. Nice alcohol taste.

M - Medium-heavy. Medium carbonation, goes down extremely well.

O - Dangerous brew. Keep up the good work.

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Central City: Red Racer IPA (Tasted 11/30/09)
12 oz. can, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazed gold with a monstrous off-white head of sea foam that leaves rings of lace on the sides of the pint glass as it fades, solid half-inch of residual head.
Odor: Damn. White grapefruit with a healthy dose of waxy rind, orange and some spice from the hops. Low riding crystal malt aroma melds perfectly with the hops, lending a a rich candied pineapple background scent. A little subdued for style, but what it lacks in intensity, it more than makes up for with variety.
Consistency: High end of light bodied, bordering on medium. Hop oils and low carbonation make for an ultra clean, smooth drinking experience.
Flavor: The aroma is very telling. Mouth full of C-hops, grapefruit. pine orange. Once again, the light honeylike/candied malt gives a sweetish, tropical fruit dimension to the hop flavor. Bitterness is firm, obviously going above and beyond balancing the malt. Finish is clean, hops dominate, leaving a light coating of bitter oily goodness on the tongue.

Man, it's expectional IPA's like this that make me smile. It's a hop bomb alright, it's unbalanced, but the beer isn't dry or sweet to the point of absurdity. Glad this is available in MA and in cans no less! Paired with spicy "all the leftovers fit to simmer turkey stew".

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Given a can in exchange for a can of Harpoon IPA, I think I came out ahead. From Tasting notes 5/30/10

A: Poured aggressivly into shaker/pint glass, Pours a dark copper, 3+ fingers of pillowy white head that settled to about 1 and then lasted thru more than half the beer.

S: Grapefruit smell upfront and maybe a bit of pine in the background, made my mouth water... I didn't get a lot of maltiness in the aroma

T: Big juicy, citrusy flavors, might have noted pineapple or not but no real Pine taste that I got from the Aroma. that finished with the nice (maybe biscuty, graham cracker) malt.

M: As expected Hop flavor coated my toungue. Felt good in my mouth

D: Really good, I agree that with a review below that this beer is dangerously drinkable. This in one that I could see having several sitting on my deck.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Wow, this is one of the better beers I've had in awhile. Its one of those beers that just seem to be made for my taste buds. Lots of lacing and a good head on it. The color is a a mix of orange and copper.

Smells phenomenal, loads of pineapple, passion fruit, caramel and pine.

Tastes of citrus, malt sweetness, oranges, lots of bitterness and a little floral. I could drink this all day long and not get bored. Big thanks to wordemupg for this wonderful beer.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours an amber/orange color with a perfect sized head that fades slowly enough, also leaves quite the cap on top and some sticky lacing along the glass.

The smell has that perfect balance between citrus and piney hops and compliment each other, in the back there is some caramel malt.

Taste has a nice crisp body to it yet the carbonation is also rather soft and creamy, the hops are the show but the bitterness isn't overwhelming either, I like the citrus the most from this beer but there's also a piney presence so it isn't one-sided when it comes to the hops, there is a significant caramel malt backing but in the end it makes this beer more balanced and far more drinkable.

It's weird that a canned Canadian beer can turn out to be such a great IPA, I'm just glad Maine happens to be one of the states that receives it right now.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Lost this review in one of the crashes, but found again thanks to Google cache.

Another great looking beer from a can. Can't wait to give this a try and see how it is. It just showed up for the first time at my store, so it should be pretty fresh. Poured into my oversized DFH snifter.

A: A large 2 finger thick but large bubble head slowly dissolves, very slowly, leaving a nice lacing. It's very clear toasted auburn brown and orange color that's still pretty light in color. The head really does show no signs of disappearing.

N: Wow, a big hop aroma hits you with this, as I hoped. Lots of heavy pine and citrus on this baby. I get a really fresh hop oil aroma that really makes me feel like I'm crushing fresh hops in my hands. Nice citrus, lots of grapefruit and tropical fruit aromas. I don't get much else on the aroma except lots of fresh earthy juicy hops and, well, nothing else.

T: I'm getting excited in anticipation for the first sip that we may have another really awesome IPA at my finger tips. And the sip is really interesting, but definitely delivers. It's not as traditional hop taste with ridiculous bitterness, it actually starts with, well, fresh hop taste. I really get the taste like I'm chewing on a fresh hop, not even pellets. I get a very piney hop oil and some citrus, as well as grapefruit and tropical fruit overall. No malt character at all and not much for bitterness up front. A nice juicy hop character starts to emerge after a few sips with a slight grapefruit and tropical fruit taste. A touch of sweetness up front also helps.

M: Sticky and oily like the hop oils. Pretty good carbonation to go with it.

F: Here is the bitterness. It's not overbearing with the bitterness, but just right I think. It finishes pretty dry but doesn't rip the water right from the cells in your mouth as some do. I still have a fresh hop taste in my mouth like I just finished chewing on a hop flower right off the vine. I feel like I should be out on the harvest while drinking this delicious concoction. Then, surprisingly, the bitterness and hop flavors just disappear. My mouth is ready and awaiting for the next taste or endeavor. That is, until I swallow again and the salivary glands seem to excrete more hops, I think this has just absorbed into my blood and my body is sweating it out.

Final thoughts: A great fresh hop taste IPA. I really can only describe it as biting on a fresh hop flower. It's gone some piney and slight citrus/tropical hop juice and lots of hop oil. No malt character. I can only describe the beer as a transport method for getting the fresh hop flowers from the vine to my taste buds and into my blood stream. I might have enjoyed a slight malt character with it, but this is a west coast style. I also love that it comes in a can. Tasty crack cans! Can't wait to try their other beers in their lineup.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Great cloudy appearance. Nearly apple jelly-like in colour... kind of a mix of pumpkin, honey, and amber. The head is foamy and creamy, and left lots of lacing, right from the very rim of the glass to the very bottom.

Wow... the smell! I didn't expect that from this little can. Way better than expected. It's very hoppy / floral / fruity... very reminiscent of Hop Stoopid.

This could be the best beer I've ever had from a can. It tastes very much like it smells... some juniper / pine, grapefruit, and a bit of lemon. There is a slight pepper (or spice/grain) taste in its bitter finish.

Great mouthfeel. There's an airiness on the exhale... the back of your throat opens up. Carbonation is just right, and not sharp when held in the mouth. A medium body that's both smooth and quenching.

Very drinkable!

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

1910 - Smith's Glyco-Heroin cough mixture becomes a best-selling cold remedy.

1929 - Coca Cola end a thirty-year practice of fortifying their soda drink with cocaine extract.

2010 - Central City Brewing finally admit their IPA is brewed primarily from crack and jelly-beans?

This is a beautiful golden IPA with gentle carbonation. It smells like candied hops, the usual citrus spectrum, and mulled tropical fruit. The bitterness/sweetness balance is exemplary, resulting in an uncomplicated yet alluring brew. It is suspiciously wonderful. I think I finally understand the unfiltered exuberance with which toddlers behold SunnyD. Get some.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Was recommended by an elderly man in my local liquor store.

The beer is found in a can which is unusual for me because I am accustomed to purchasing craft beer in a bottle.

It pours deep orange with a thin head that leaves remnants atop the brew.

The smell of the beer is tremendous. There is a pungent super-hoppy/piney an fruity aroma that iterally flows from the can. The smell is delicious.

The taste offers exactly what the smell presents initially. The beer is deliciously hoppy with a perfect balance of citrus and pine hops. The best part about the beer is as it warms, a distinct pineapple flavor becomes present which inreases its scrumptiousness. There is a nice malty exit that is not very overpowering.

The mouthfeel is exceptional and ranks equally with many IPAs. It almost feels as if it could be a dIPA.

The beer has a powerful hop-foward taste but the alcohol is almost perfectly masked which heightens its drinkability. I fortunately have the opportunity to drink this beer regularly. Because of that, I must say that this guy is the steeple of my beer drinking preference. Easy to get for me and never, ever a let down. If you like a unique take of the style find this beer immediatley.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Had this beer on tap at the Alibi Room in Vancouver. Wonderful floral and citrusy aromas were here, great hoppy flavor, everything in its right place. Just a solid I.P.A here. If you see it, drink it: you won't be disappointed.

Plus, I would totally do the "Red Racer" on the logo.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Served from12oz. can, obtained via trade as an extra with jlindros (thanks man!), into my Stone Levitation glass (11/23/09) at an appropriate temperature. I had never heard of this beer, but I am certainly glad that I have been introduced to it.

A: Pours a fairly clear golden yellow with a slight orange hue capped off by a thick and frothy 2 finger head that stuck around for the duration of the beer. Very nice thick lacing is left on the inside of the glass.

S: WOW! Definitely the best smelling canned IPA (or canned beer for that matter) I have ever experienced and certainly one of the best smelling American IPAs period. As soon as the can was cracked, the citrusy hops exploded with lushes tones of orange marmalade, flowers, grapefruit, tropical fruit, lemon, pine, with slight malty backbone.

T: The hop flavors continue onto the palate with citrusy layers of grapefruit, orange marmalade, orange zest, and pine. A slight caramel malt rounds out this delicious American IPA. There is just a slight bitterness to the finish which nicely cleanses the palate.

M: Medium-bodied with nice creamy carbonation and very smooth.

D: Exceptionally drinkable and the flavors are so rich and fresh with no hint whatsoever of the 6.5% abv.

Overall this beer was a great surprise and a generous extra that came completely out of left field and completely wowed me. If you see this beer anywhere, anytime, do yourself a favor a pick up as many as you can. Thanks again Jared for introducing me to this exceptional American IPA. Highly Recommended.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

12oz can(!) obtained at Whole Foods in Portland, Maine. Pours a hazy golden amber body with nearly an inch of slowly dissipating off-white head that leaves a good bit of lacing on the side of the glass. Smells intensely hoppy, with citrus (lemon to grapefruit), pith, pine, mint, herb, and just enough caramel and chocolate malt to balance. Tastes very citrussy, lemon and a bit of grapefruit particularly come to mind, with some pith herb, zest... Malt is there but only in the background, though it's fairly pleasant and pronounced with notes of toffee, coffee, and chocolate toward the finish. Medium bodied with moderate to ample carbonation. A really easy-drinker, this beer is disappearing faster than I'd like it to. A pleasant surprise! A top-notch IPA right up there with the best ones from south of the border (US). Well worth the buy if you can find it, I'll definitely be picking this one up again. Yum!

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a crystal clear golden amber with a quarter inch of head. Fairly good head retention and lacing throughout.

The aroma is fantastic, nice sweet pink grapefruit with a little caramel underneath and sweet fresh cut navel oranges. Nicely citrusy and sweet, only a hint of pine. Wow.

Central City nailed the style. Grapefruit flesh with a little rind and pine thrown in against a very subtle, very nuanced sweet malt backbone, but whereas the lack of a strong malt presence is normally a shortcoming for an IPA, it totally works here, as the hops are the star of the show and they're so deftly handled adding more malt would seem like cheating, if not ruin everything. Honestly, the bitterness is not overdone or underdone. It's spot on, really, and just as bitter as it needs to be. No more. No less. I can find no fault with it.

This is the best hopcentric beer brewed in Canada that I have ever tried--hell, it's better than 97% of the American brewed IPAs I have tried. So good.

Drinkability? If I could only drink one beer brewed in Canada it might very well be this.

Thanks to papat444 for so generously sharing this with me.

4.74/5  rDev +12.1%

I only bought this because I hadn't seen it before. I didn't really have high expectations but I was blown away. One of the best IPA's I've had! The smell is amazing! Interesting that it only comes in a can (at least where I can get it - Calgary).

Thanks kmurray8621 !!!

pours a nice light copper with a foamy head that left beautiful lacing and great retention. beautiful pour!

very floral and sweet citrus. lots of orange, pineapple, and tangerine.

citrus bitterness that never ceases. hidden inside is a citrus and floral hop flavor. a bit of orange and pineapple. light sweet malts.

light to moderate carbonation. a bit of bite that blends well with the hop bitterness

this is hands down one of the best IPA's i have ever had. god damn, i hate that i only have one. canada is reppin the IPA scene HARD with this. KUDOS! this is nectar i can live off of. i am floored.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

12oz. can poured into an oversized tulip.

A: Pours a hazy orange/amber with 3 fingers of fluffy white head which leaves behind ample sticky lacing.

S: Tropical fruit and pine.

T: Pine, grapefruit, passion fruit. The finish is pure piney bitterness but it does not linger unpleasantly.

M: Perfect for the style: medium body, adequate carbonation.

D: Gimme another! ;)

Definitely the best single IPA in Canada. Probably my favourite overall but I have not tried that many from the US.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer was my first love when it comes to IPAs, and it still is to this day. It will always hold a special place in my beer-drinking heart, and if you find some Red Racer IPA and are wondering if you should try it, DO IT - you will not be disappointed.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

I picked up a 6-pack of this while on vacation in Vancouver; our honeymoon, actually! It was the one beer I was really looking forward to trying from Canada and was really excited to find it. Not so excited to pay $16 for the privledge but oh well. Such is being a BA.

Served cool into a globe, Red Racer is a hazy copper orange color with thick white head. Nice retention to the head which settles slowly leaving stick lace behind.

The aroma is spectacular. It's clearly very heavily hopped with tons of resiny citrus hops. I would love to know what they used in dry-hopping because it has a to-die-for aroma.

Flavor is excellent as well with just tons of hoppy goodness. It doesn't have extreme bitterness as some IPAs. It's more like a Racer 5 that just comes across as clean crisp citrus. A solid malt body is present to stand up to all those hops. Very fresh tasting and something I think of as candied or sugared orange rind. It's nicely balanced from beginning to end but definately has the hops that an IPA lover craves.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with appropriate carbonation. It actually has a really soft feel that might be partly due to the can. Smooth carbonation almost makes it seem like it was served on tap. Speaking of which, I had it at the Alibi Room on tap and it was just as exceptional as it is from the can.

Overall a fantastic IPA - probably one of the best I've ever had... and it's from Canada! Please bring this one stateside. It's not like we need another IPA but this one is top-notch.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers