Join our email list →

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers
British Columbia, Canada | website

American IPA | 6.50% ABV

Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 474 | Hads: 1,049
4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to Casey10 for hooking me up.
Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a gold amber color with fluffy off-white head that dissipates very slowly laving patterns of lacing all over the glass. Very clear as well, looks impressive.

S: Big piney hops with a citrus finish. Hints of malt come through, but they're pretty well dominated by the hops.

T: Much more balanced than I was expecting based on smell. Beautiful, luscious hops are complemented by a warming malt backbone. Quite tasty.

M: Very impressive mouthfeel for an IPA. Incredibly smooth, with just enough bite from the hops. Leaves my mouth slightly slick. Gorgeous.

D: I don't think it can improve in this category. Hands down, one of the most drinkable IPAs I've ever had. Thanks again Brian!

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked up at Julio's on 02.26.2010.

A: Pours a nice copper with a bit of a reddish tint to it. Very nice tan head, leaving loads of lacing as it goes down.

S: Loads of citrus, grassy, and earthy hops atop a slightly-sweet caramel malt base. I had heard this described as "baby Furious" and that actually comes pretty close.

T: Some sweet malt in the background, which balances things out a little bit, but this one is almost entirely hops. Definite earthy and herbal hops with bits of citrus. Hoppy flavors, although it's not terribly bitter.

M: Medium body with a smooth creaminess. Slightly chewy. No alcohol presence.

D: Very, very drinkable. Hopefully we'll see expanded distribution on this one soon.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

Poured from 12 oz can into snifter.

A: Pours a nice copper/amber color with a very slight haze and one finger of white head that dissipates quickly to minimal lacing with extensive lacing

S: The smell is wonderful on this beer. A very nice layering of the citrusy/piney hop aroma sitting on the caramel malt backbone. Very nice!

T: This is very nicely balanced. The hop flavor is a mixture of citrus and pine (I get pineapple also) and the malt keeps it all in check. One thing I am noticing right now that I've never noticed before in this beer is that I'm definitely tasting some of the alcohol in the back end of it. I know this is only 6.5% abv but I'm definitely feeling some of the heat.

M: You don't get a lot of carbonation in this. I feel like it should have a little more. It definitely has a nice medium body for an IPA but it seems a little on the flat side.

D: The citrusy aroma and taste of the hops are what make this beer very attractive. It is a very tasty beer. The alcohol in the taste and the slight lack of some carbonation detract slightly from this. Overall I really like this and would put this in my 'second tier' of IPA's! I'm very excited that I'm able to purchase this locally.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Another thanks goes out to kmurray8621 for sending me this. I'm an IPA fiend and don't care who knows it!

Pours a semi hazy orange copper color with about two fingers of off white head. It has great retention and manages to leave some intense sheets of lacing on the glass.

The nose is hoppy and sweet, with citrus and spicey hops the main players, while the malty backbone has just begun to peak its face through.

More spicey hops in the taste than I got in the nose, and the citrus and floral hops are gone, replaced by piney and resiny bitter hops. Malts come out a bit more in the taste. Still very hop forward without being one sided.

Light to medium in body, with a crisp carbonation and a lingering bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is great.

Overall, a great IPA, and I'm really glad that I got a chance to try this, as it looks like it's gaining popularity and not a lot of people have had a chance to try it. Canadians brew good beer too!

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A-the pour gives hints of hop haze, mostly clear though, deep orangish amber color with hues of copper shining through. A white head is slightly thin; but nice and fluffy looking. It has decent retention and leaves a thick trail of lace that falls down right behind the head

S-this is big and juicy with tons of tropical fruits in the nose. Grapefruit, mango, and pineapple are strong with a light piney backbone

T-the taste is big and hoppy just like the nose. The is present but very light. Tropical fruits are strong with pineapple, mango towards the middle giving wayto a sweet and bitter grapefruit taste. Notes of herbal hops and grassy notes come in at the back as the bitterness from the grapefruit lingers for a moment

M-extremely creamy with a big medium body, very smooth with a great crisp finish from a well carbonated brew. This is juicy and wet but somehow slightly dry at the finish

D-this goes down so easy, great beer and one of the best IPA's out there. Hop lovers dream that doesn't let up with a great body and feel.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours dark orange, nice 2-finger rocky off-white head. Retains very well and leaves great lacing. Smell is great as well, huge citrus/tangerine + grapefruit scents, and maybe some apple etc. Taste is unexpected, doesn't match the smell at all. There is a strange unidentifiable taste right off the bat, I can't quite put a finger on it. Someone in another review said tea leaves, maybe that's it. The strange taste along with some grassy notes mask any other potential flavors, leaving a bready caramel aftertaste. From the smell I expected a fruity crisp IPA but that's not what I'm getting here. Not bad but I prefer usual IPA flavors over this. Mouthfeel is good, a little more creamy than average for the style with a smooth malty finish. Good, but definitely hindered I think from that strange taste.

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Nice copper-amber body. Good clarity. Huge off-white head. Nice and creamy with solid retention. Lacing provides good coverage of the glass after each sip.

S: Nice, if not mild, hop presence. Mostly grapefruit, orange and some light pine notes. Significant caramel sweetness.

T: Subdued blend of light, but pleasant citric and pine notes. More malt than the nose would suggest. People have described this as a prototypical west coast IPA, but I just didn't get that impression.

M: A bit lighter, in a thin-at-times kind of way. Nice bitterness throughout though. Slight astringent finish.

D: Overall, this was a solid, but not noteworthy IPA. On the plus side... it comes in cans which is a nice emerging trend.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

12oz Can provided by my MAINe hook-up Casey10. Thanks Brian! Served in a Nonic Pint Glass. No canned on or best-by-date.

A: Finger of nice, dense foam. Fades into a thin layer on top, riddled with different sized bubbled. Pours a pristine looking amber. Lacing is very nice for a IPA, leaving some soapy remains on the glass.

S: Fresh, grassy hops explode with some hints of citrus fruits. A big, sweet malty base balancing things out nicely. The b

T: Like I noted above, the raw resiny hoppiness is balanced perfectly by a solid malty backbone. There is some sweetness, but it's not cloying or overdone. Bitterness is present, but it's very fleeting and mostly on the finish.

M: Medium bodied. Great viscosity on this brew. There is a little stickiness, but not much. The ample, but not overabundant carbonation helps make this nice and smooth.

D: This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a sessionable IPA. The 6.5% ABV is never noticeable, the hoppiness and bitterness are there, but they don't abuse the palate.

I've been calling this Furious' little brother, and that's some very high praise. A truly fantastic IPA, from our neighbors up north no less! Do yourself a favor and track down a can (or 12) of this tasty brew. You won't be disappointed!

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Red Racer IPA has a very clear, dark golden colored body with highlights of red and orange. Slow moving carbonation bubbles slowly ascend to the fluffy, off-white head. The head settles to a foamy ring on top of the beer, leaving some good lacing along the side of the glass.

The aroma has a strong, bitter, grapefruit smell. Besides that there is a little bit of malt, but not much else. Lots of hops though, a quality aroma for an IPA.

Red Racer IPA is packed with hops like a good IPA should be. Tons of bitterness with flavors of grapefruit and pine resin. After that some caramel flavored malt brings some balance, but doesn't do much to get in the way of the hops. This is a quality, hopped-up IPA; I like it. Rating-wise it probably falls between a 4 and a 4.5, but I'm going with a 4 here.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with just a hair over moderate carbonation.

For a hop lover Red Racer IPA is a pretty good beer. I bought it because I dig craft beer in cans, but this stuff would be good poured out of anything.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

pours pale copper with quick dissipating head.

aroma is first hoppy. bright candied tangerine/ mandarine aroma. yummy. trace of alcohol and faintly malty. super yummy citrus nose.

on the palate the beer is crisp and fresh. medium body with good carbonation and clean malt. finishes lightly tart and hoppy

mouthfeel may be a bit light and dry for my tastes but fits the style.

overall, very drinkable. conceals its alcohol well and aside from being well made, is also interesting. highly recommend trying this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to Jared for sending me a sixer of these recently.

A: The pour is a crystal clear light amber color with a moderate white head and sheets of lacing.

S: A very solid grapefruit aroma along with some orange and a mild pine. The malt is present, but definitely in the background.

T: The grapefruit translates quite well to the palate, giving Red Racer a pleasant citrus flavor. There is also a very intense piney bitterness which is not often found in IPAs outside of CA. The malt does not seem to be there at all.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation and crisp finish.

D: Very much on the bitter side and very much in the vain of other west coast IPAs. A solid offering and one that I'm very glad to have tried.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Can thanks to jlindros.

Pours a nice deep amber color with one and a half fingers of foamy white head.

Scent of sweet juicy citrus, bitter pine, caramel, and sugar. A great scent with a nice variety of hop characteristics.

Taste of grapefruit, pine, light caramel, and a hint of pineapple. Finishes dry with a bitter sappy pine flavor.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a somewhat smooth carbonation.

I found this to be very drinkable, this would be great on a warm Spring or Summer day.

You know.... you take a look at this goofy looking, unpretentious looking can, and you think... you've got to be kidding me. Then you crack it open and take that first sniff....

The beer pours a fairly light orange amber color with pretty good head retention and lacing. On the nose, this is a pretty yummy smelling IPA. There is a bit more noticeable sweet malt in the background then I'd like to see, but otherwise there is considerable white pepper, celery salt, citrus and a touch of pine, showing off the hoppy bitterness in this beer. The blend of sweet malt with the hoppy bitterness gives this beer some interesting tropical fruit flavors. On the palate, this is an impressively bitter IPA, but there's still some noticeable sweet malt and alcohol on the finish that I'm not in love with. Still, there's no denying that this beer displays a considerable amount of hoppy bitterness that really dominates the flavor profile. The beer is made very much in the West Coast style, and is on the dry side for IPA's. Very, very nice. Mouthfeel is fairly light, though there's no denyig the flavor packed flavor profile. Also, the beer finishes with a nice clean, refreshing, crispness that I quite like. Drinkability is good, but there's something of an alcoholic bite in the finish that I'm not totally in love with.

Hmmmm.... I can see the similarity between this and Blind Pig, as a friend (Dyan) suggested. However, I just can't say it's quite in the same class with the pig. While undeniably excellent, it just doesn't have quite the level of bitter intensity that I love so much in Blind Pig. That being said, there is no doubt that this is a very good beer... after Surly's furious, probably the best beer I can ever recall drinking out of a can . Impressive.

Thanks Dyan!

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

If you have ever heard of the term "West Coast IPA" this beer is the definition of that. It's a light copper, a beautiful white head that leaves all kinds of sexy lacing. As soon as you crack the can you're assaulted, in a pleasant way, with citrus, creamsicle hop aromas with a smattering of pine and whispers of grapefruit and sweet malt. The pine intensifies in the taste and mingles with the citrus and hints of fruitiness to coat your mouth in that tantalizing way that hops like to work. A nice delicate malt backbone of caramel, biscuit, and a slight sweetness back up the hops. The dry finish, smooth body, perfect carbonation and 6.5% abv make this a dangerous beer. One is not enough.

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to indiapaleale for sending this my way via his Nice Cans BIF. 12oz can into a Dogfish Head off-centered pint.

Red Rocket...errr...Racer 5....uhhh, I mean RED RACER (yeah, that's it!) pours a crisp peach body with a copper core. Evenly distributed carbonation throughout fuels a well-retained manila head that sticks a few splotchy swaths of lacing along the inside of the glass. Exceptional aroma makes my head spin with all the hoppiness: foresty pine (Simcoe?), grapefruit zest, sugared pineapple chunks, fresh grass--it's all in there, and it's all insanely enticing.

Tea leaves hit the palate first, throwing me into more of an English IPA mindset. Definitely sweet tea with a hint of lemongrass and peach. Maybe some cotton candy, too. The hops come in bold and bitter mid-palate, and linger long into the finish with a burst of resinous pine and citrus. A spritzy carbonation level seals the deal, while the medium-light body is crisp, juicy, and dry at the end. Overall, Red Racer is an immensely enjoyable, drinkable brew. More of an English-American hybrid of an IPA, but I'll take it.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Free can from ritzkiss...I owe you one! Thanks Eric. I've been wanting to check this out for a while now.

Pours a hazy, light copper colour with a thin blanket of white head. Nice lacing up the sides of the glass. I'd rate is 4.25 but will have to settle for 4.0.

Big aromas of pine and grapefruit backed up by sweet malt. Great smell but I'm left wanting more of it.

Lots of hops. Bitter and drying, it's quite earthy. Pine seems to be dominate with some grapefruit in the background. This is very much a West Coast IPA, the hops clearly outbalance the malt profile, though not in an overwhelming way. Dry, piney aftertaste. The ABV isn't detectable.

Good feel: creamy medium body with a light carbonation.

If I lived somewhere where this was readily available, it would always be in my fridge. I can't wait to get my hands on some more of this stuff. Incredibly drinkable and very sessionable. This beer easily makes company with the best IPAs I've tried. I imagine this would be out of control when fresh.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A crystal clear light amber color with lots of bubble action with a goodly off-white head and very nice lacing. The aroma is a stiff shot of citrus hops, a bit sharp with nice yeasty bread/sweet roll balance. The flavor that follows is definitely more of the same. Bright glorious citrus bite, mid-bodied and frisky carbonation. Very easy drinking but lots of hops here. I get some rice cereal graininess, a tad sweet but mostly sour dough and grapefruit. If you want a little hop blast, you'll be very happy. I liked this and see this as one of the better canned brews I've had and right up there with any of my preferred IPA's. I'm impressed.

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My local store randomly got a single six-pack of this in.

Huge, huge fluffy head atop a golden body. Took me 3 pours over 2 minutes to get it all on the glass.

The foam is releasing aromatics you can smell from 3 feet away, and it's fantastic. Reminds me of opening a bag of hop cones.

Holy crap. The hoppiness lurking in this can is phenomenal. Huge citrus notes- grapefruit up front, pine in the finish. Maybe I'm just shocked to be drinking this from such a harmless looking little can, from a brewery I'd never heard of, but this is stunning.

Mouthfeel is a good carbonation with a smooth body- I'd guess flaked barley.

It's strong, but I have to give this high marks for drinkability, considering how fast I finished this. Now I just need my local store to buy more.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Wow!
From a can?! And from canada? Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think a can culdhouse a beast like red racer ipa. Caldera ipa is awesome. But never have I tasted such a potent ipa like this! Blame canada!
Love this beer. Long live red racer india pale ale
Citrus.. Pine
Nice glow in the glass..
Super easy drinking
Clean
Well done

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

A fantastic IPA that gets back to basics with crisp malt flavor, intense bitterness, smooth hop flavor and aroma, and a dry refreshing finish.

Red Racer pours with a glowing deep golden, light copper hue. Off white foam coats the beer with an even 1" blanket that laces very well. A classic IPA look.

Assertive grapfruit, orange zest, pine resin, and fresh cut grass dominate the rim of the glass. The hops allow just a peak at caramel malts that offset the pungent display of hop oils.

Flavors are very citrusy up front with the rinds of orange, grapefruit, and lemon grass. Light hints of ginger and pine give an extra bite above and beyond the normal IPA's. Bitterness is aggressive and bite pretty hard in the back of the throat. Even with the aggression, the beer remains smooth and crisp with the graham cracker malt buffer.

Medium malty up front with emphasis on hop flavor- later fading into a crisp and fleeting bread crust note and growing hop bitterness.

I like the "back to basics" attitude of this beer. Reminds me of Sierra Nevada's IPA but with more gumption. Thanks indiapaleale!

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Got a couple cans of this as extras from dyan. Thanks!

Golden in the glass with a slight haze. Pours with two fingers of head that slowly settles to a crown.

Raw hop aroma, grapefruit and pine, with some sticky malt in the background. There's a bit of tropical fruit too.

Flavors of pine and citrus combat with strong resiny bitterness. There's a bit of crackery malt, but this is dry and bitter on the whole. This is a raw, unrefined IPA, loaded with flavor but rough around the edges. Finishes a bit astringent, rougher than I remember it being on tap, but still quite good. Worth seeking out, but best sampled fresh from the brewery.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

I got this brew for winning a LIF held by indiapaleale. Thanks Russ!

12oz can served in a standard pint glass.

Clear orange/yellow color with a white head that thinned to a layer and left good streaks of lacing.
Smell is good and hoppy, citrus and pine.
Taste is a blast of citrus hops with plenty of bitterness and subtle malt to balance things out.
Medium bodied with a crisp feel and dry finish.
Easy to drink this tasty American IPA from Canada.

12oz can shared by largadeer on BA at a tasting - thanks, Chris! So this is from Canada, eh? This Can-adian beer came in a can, and for some reason people on this site love overrating canned beers (see Blues, Oskar). This is no exception. It's good but not great.

Pours clear golden with a one-finger white head.

Aroma is very citrusy and hoppy with some malty sweetness poking through.

Flavor is mainly rough citrusy hops, orange and grapefruit. There is also a decent malty backbone of mostly pale malt with a touch of caramel.

Medium-bodied and fairly lively on the palate, leaving some hop resins in your mouth.

Drinkability is pretty good. Overall this is a solid but not great IPA.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

A solid IPA overall. Can given to me by dyan, thanks dude. Poured from a can into a goblet. Beer is amber with a slight haze, forms a white head. Has moderate carbonation and lacing is good. Looks fine.

Aroma is sweet and has a nice citrus hop character. Smells really good. Not very complex but overall nice.

Medium bodied beer. Good mix of citrus and pine hop flavors, decent hop bitterness. Good mouthfeel and drinkability.

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks, Dyan for the chance to try this.

Served in a pint glass. Wow, you gotta love that chic on the can...Rarrr...

A: This brew pours a beautiful sunset orange, effervescent with bubbles riding on their little bubble elevators up to the head, where they frolic upon the frothy, sticky stubbornness and bask in the lamplight under which I am ogling this inviting beverage.

A: floral, citrus

T: A tasty brew. Nothing jumps out in particular. Grapefruit and flowers, typical refreshing IPA. It's nice and hoppy, with a very slight bitter astringency in the finish.

M: crisp and clean, with a slightly bitter alcohol finish

D: this would make a really solid session IPA

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers