Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) - Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: canucklehead on 04-10-2009

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 987 | Reviews: 468
4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

An impressive showing from a brewery with which I was unfamiliar.

Pours amber with peachy tones. Several fingers of frothy, bright white head and heavy, lingering lacing that literally coats the sides of the glass.

The aroma is everything an IPA should be. Very fruity with both citrus and tropical fruit present. Also a beautiful, floral, hoppy aroma.

The taste is mildly hoppy all the way. There is a notable amount of spice, especially pepper, tropical fruits, peach, and citrus at the end. It is never too bitter, but the taste is definitely more punchy than the smell.

Mouthfeel is incredibly full and consistent. Light, sparkly carbonation. Goes down like ice water on a hot day.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Well I must say I am still not a man free of prejudices. While living in California and become a self-proclaimed hophead, I found the idea of a Canadian IPA to be .. well lets say "odd".

Talk about looking like a fool. This VERY American IPA made in British Columbia is a show stopper and instantly made me happy.

A- Dark Golden Amber, Great head on pour and some decent lacing as well.

S- Hops, Grapefruit, Citurs and sweet. Delicious.

T- Delicious. Again a nice overage of hops but not overkill. Lots of citrus fruit and a lingering finish. A must have for any hophead and one of the best overall canned beers I have ever had. Amazing. I love it.

M- A little oily as expected from the high hops but finishes nicely leaving you wanting another sip.

D- If you are a fan of the style, this is epic. And in a can makes it a great go-to beer for a tailgate or bbq as I plan to do now that I have discovered it.

RESPECT BEER

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Enjoyed this fine beer courtesy of Rutager. Thanks again! Poured from the can into a tulip. Beer has a very nice light orange color and a thick, creamy off white head that dissipates very quickly, leaving lots of bubbly lacing. Smells of pine with some citrus flavors (predominantly orange and tangerine). Medium bodied and crisp with good carbonation. Taste starts with notes of pine and transitions to a rich, mid-palate sweetness (honey) and a touch of malt. Very well-balanced. Finish is amazingly long and pleasantly bitter. If I had regular access to this beer, it would always be in my fridge. The best canned IPA I've had the pleasure of trying, with the exception of Surly Abrasive. Good stuff.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Picked up a growler from Central City. I've been waiting for this for a while. I'm not the biggest IPA fan, but here goes.

Poured this into a pint glass.

A- Like a golden honey colour. Got about a finger and a half of frothy head. Not bad retention and it holds on to the sides of the glass beautifully. Really nice looking.

S- Holy cow! It smells like I just had a pine tree shoved up my nose. I really didn't expect this. Hoppy and a touch of citrus. I would use this stuff as an air freshener if I could. I wanna smell it all day.

T- Tastes great. The pine is there, but in a good way. I wouldn't have thought that chewing a pine tree would taste good, but this is incredible. Its not overwhelming, but the taste really lingers. There is a citrusy taste that backs up the hops nicely. Very good.

M- Medium body. Definitely fuller than most IPAs I've tasted. Good carbonation that feels good passing over my tongue.

D- Very good. I'm very excited to live so close to the brewery, because this will hold a permanent place in my fridge. I usually don't like really hoppy beers, but this has won me over. Thank you Central City!!

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

C hops on nose. Citrus, tropical fruit, pine. Definitely west coast style, but some malts to speak of. Best Canadian (single) IPA I've had.

3.77/5  rDev -11.3%

Got this as an extra from lunch on a recent trade.
Poured from a can into my SA perfect pint glass. Nice copper color with medium white head that dissipates into a decent sticky lace. Nice grapefruit aroma. Taste is slightly metallic im sure due to the can but is still quite good. I got a faint tea flavor in the background that was real unusual. Weird that i live 30 minutes from B.C. but i have never seen this beer in my town. Thanks again lunch!

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - very pale orange, little bit of white head, with quite a bit of head lacing.

Smell - citrus hops, heavy in the grapefruit and pineapple.

Taste - very floral hops, just enough malt, very tasty. Absolutely no alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel - light to medium feel.

Overall - big fan of a lot of the ipa's from B.C and this is one of my faavorites.

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

Red Racer IPA from Central City in Surrey, BC, is one my all-time favourites.

Appearance is a slightly-hazy orange-hinted colour typical of American-style IPAs. Lots of lace around the glass when poured.

But it is the first drink and sniff that gives the game aware. Fistful of citrus, grapefruit taste and smell.

The taste is big, robust mouthful of hops. Not a sipping beer. Very smooth tasting with a long, lingering aftertaste of hops.

Red Racer IPA deservedly was quoted Beer of the Year in BC by local CAMRA for the last two years.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Pored from a can into snifter

A: Nice golden color, beautiful head, and absolutely unbelievable lacing. (an additional .5 for the can)

S: very nice, fruity, sweet hop aroma, grapefruit, citrus

T: Hoppiness hits you first, but never overwhelming, fades into a very nice sweetness with the hops never really leaving the picture, very well balanced here, malty sweetness used just right with the hoppy bitterness

M: Medium to light

D: very drinkable, and a great example of the style

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

1910 - Smith's Glyco-Heroin cough mixture becomes a best-selling cold remedy.

1929 - Coca Cola end a thirty-year practice of fortifying their soda drink with cocaine extract.

2010 - Central City Brewing finally admit their IPA is brewed primarily from crack and jelly-beans?

This is a beautiful golden IPA with gentle carbonation. It smells like candied hops, the usual citrus spectrum, and mulled tropical fruit. The bitterness/sweetness balance is exemplary, resulting in an uncomplicated yet alluring brew. It is suspiciously wonderful. I think I finally understand the unfiltered exuberance with which toddlers behold SunnyD. Get some.

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%

copper in color with thick white head that fades quickly. The initial smell is strong of citrus hops but fades quickly as well. The taste is like biting into a centennial and cascade battered orange rind. The flavor is good but kind of weak and watered down. The beer is extremely drinkable and is what I consider a upscale sierra Nevada. Overall decent beer.

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

This is my favorite brew, a ranking which I base on overall quality and availability. There may be better IPAs, but not ones on which I can consistently purchase. The crisp taste that lingers on the palate tastes of citrus and piney notes, and the there is no concept of diminishing returns with this beer, I find I can enjoy them all night.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

appearance: Very pretty burnt orange color, with excellent head and good lacing. It's a mighty fine looking beer, crisp and not cloudy.

Smell: Piney hop aromas with a certain sweetness to it. The smell makes you want to drink it.

Taste: Wonderful hoppy character with a sweet delicious malt backbone. It's piney with a resinous after taste but finishes clean on the pallette. The carbonation level gives it a nice bite and the mouthfeel is pleasantly on the oily side.

Overall: Wow, what a great beer. I wish I had bought more than just the single can for this review. What really shines is the clean finish and the hops to malt balance. It all seems so wonderfully thought out.

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I first had this in Van on draft. I decided to give it a go as it was a special of the night. I had one and drank it all night. It is aggressive but has an addictive hop quality. If you are in the mood for an IPA where the hop barrels over the malt this is for you.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a lovely bright, hazy orange amber with a finely bubble light orange head that shows beautiful retention and leaves thick lace. Lovely aroma of perfumey fruit (blood oranges, passionfruit) and pine. Juicy hoppy palate, loads of citrus rind and a minty eucalyptus herbal finish. so flavourful and drinkable. Absolutely outstanding for the hop complexity and sheer drinkability.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - Huge massive billowing white head with absolutely insane lacing when it finally disperses. Amber hue and just absolutely gorgeous.

Smell - Alpha hops, citrus and citrus rind, one of the greatest smelling ipas ever

Taste - More fruitiness than bitterness, lots of high alpha hops, grapefruit, somewhat astringent.

Mouthfeel - Smooth yet somewhat thin in my opinion

Drinkability - Very good, I could easily drink multiple cans of this on a summers night, somewhat decent pricing as well.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Bright, brilliant copper. Medium head retention, nice lacing. A beautiful beer.

S: Grapefruit, sweet pine, hints of earthyness. Very intriguing and unique! 90% hops with a tiny bit of malt background. Glade needs to make a fragrance that resembles this!

T: It's like a pine tree and a grapefruit tree made sweet sweet love and this is their love child. Brilliant aroma hops perfectly balanced with just the right amount of bittering additions. Spot-fuckin-on!

M: Perfectly to style. Medium body with just enough character to make it stand up on its own.

This is one of my favourites! My goto beer at the LCBO.... wonderfully unique and bold, but I could put away 2 or 3 or these a night no problem. Don't pass this one up!

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

355ml can poured into a Leffe Tulip.

Pours a hazy amber with a rocky off-white head which recedes to some small lacing.

Big hit of earthy, piney hops on the nose and a hint of pineapple.

Taste matches the smell, although the pine and hop bitterness dominates, leaving only a trace of tropical fruit aromas. Really earthy.

Smooth mouthfeel and a long, bitter finish. One of the better IPAs from BC.

Kind of tart but a very Drinkable IPA

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wooo.. very good beer. Can see why they drank this during the war though, very filling for myself. Slows you down on those thirsty nights. would highly recommend along with their regular pale ale which is outstanding on tap

4.06/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Two-week-old bottle from their new brewery poured into an IPA glass. Purchased for $7 at B's Craft Beer Lounge in Langley, BC.

Appearance - Pours an almost-clear orange-yellow with a nice finger of white head. Bubbly.

Smell - Big pine/citrus hop flavors, lemon-lime undertones and a mild malt graininess

Taste - Just like the nose, the big pine/citrus come across up front, bitterness throughout and lingering on the palate at the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium-high carbonation. Medium bodied. Smooth, creamy. Wonderful hop oily-ness is present and I'll attribute that to the freshness of the bottle, as I haven't noticed that in the other bottles I've had.

Overall - A fantastic IPA. Well balanced and stands out amongst the many other IPAs out there. One of the best BC has to offer.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

I first had this beer on tap at the Alibi Room in Vancouver, but was overjoyed to find it soon released in cans under the Red Racer label.

This beer is a fantastic example of a West Coast IPA. The aroma is a pure expression of fresh Cascade hops. No other IPA that I've had comes that close to having that sort of aroma.

The taste is of course very hoppy as well. Lots of citrus peel bitterness with a touch of sweetness from the malt. The dominant characteristic of this beer though is the hoppy bitterness. Carbonation from the can is fairly high and dominates the mouthfeel. The beer coats the mouth a bit, leaving a bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability is phenomenal. For the bitterness of this beer, I could drink a large quantity.

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

355mL can, poured into my Bell's pint glass. I usually smoke down copious amounts of Two Hearted from this pint glass. I love Two Hearted.

A: Really nice coppery-amber colour that pours with a 1cm head. The head dissipates to a white film on top, but light lacing persists the whole way down.

S: Smell is the most powerful sense attached to memory, and I'm definitely in two of my favourite places here. Back at my Grandpa's "winter" trailer in Central Florida, somewhere near a citrus grove. And about 50 yards left of the 11th fairway at some random golf course in the Carolinas, hitting a chip-out 7-iron off of the pine needles. I fuckin' love beer.

T: Exactly what I want in an IPA. The hops are the star of the show, with great bittering, flavour, and aroma characteristics coming through. Citrus zest and coniferous sap abound. The malt backbone is there, but only in the BACKground, as it should be.

M: Just the right amount of carbonation to wake up my tastebuds for the flavour "knee to the nuts" they're about to receive. Smooth.

D: Most good IPA's have me waking up in the morning feeling as though someone tried to asphyxiate me with a rag soaked in turpentine, especially if I have more than one. I smoked down five of these bad boys during a spirited game of euchre. Woke up at 7am, with no trace of Red Racer left behind. Bravo.

Note. I just had a Two Hearted after finishing a Red Racer, and I can honestly say that Red Racer is AT LEAST as good. At this level, we're comparing a Mercedes to a BMW. They're both great, both deserving of any praise they receive. If I had a gun to my head, and I had to choose a favourite, it'd be Red Racer, by a nose.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Delicious IPA... Excellent hoppy beer. It has a wonderful IPA smell. Well balanced and stands out amongst the many other IPAs out there.

1.12/5  rDev -73.6%

I enjoy IPAs but found this one appalling. Would not recommend.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers