Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) | Central City Brewers + Distillers

YOUR RATING = None |

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers
British Columbia, Canada | website

Style: American IPA

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

Added by canucklehead on 04-10-2009

Reviews: 477 | Ratings: 1,062
2.04/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This is quite interesting. At first the smell is not related to the taste, I can tell you. I like the smell of that beer, it smell like citrus of some kind.

For the taste, this is the most bitter beer I ever had so far. Its by far the most stronger beer I have ever tasted. It will be real challenge to drink more than one of this one. It taste like the peel of grapefruit.

It is a must try, if your are in beer tasting.

The IBU is 80, the SRM around 06, ABV 6.5%, the beer can 473 ml for the price of 3.75 (cad).

An interesting experience.

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Wow. This is the second time i've bought a 4-pack and it still delivers. As in most things in life, it's all about balance. When a beer such as this one achieves such a beautiful amalgamation of bitterness, body and flavor in perfect harmony, yet only boasts 6.5%, it's hard to forget.

In the nose, really bright and fresh, resiny pine, pithy grapefruit and a touch sweet and toasty malts.

In the mouth, all of the flavors in the nose follow through. First a staunch bitterness with a bit of pithy lemon and grapefruit, followed by a resinous mouthfeel. In the finish, the beer has great acidity that cleanses the palate and makes you want to drink more. The dude abides.

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 355mL can into a pokal. Rich gold with pinkish highlights, it doesn't have the richness of colour that many IPAs do, almost as if its been a little over-filtered. The smell is sharp piney hops backed with sweet floral malts, and not overly strong -- an aroma that leads one to expect an IPA on the light, refreshing side, rather than a fuller, more mouth-filling example of the style. And that's exactly what we get: a quintessential summer IPA, nicely balancing an almost British malt profile (think Deuchars IPA) with west-coast hops, while not going overboard on either. In the finish, though, the hops take over, their grapefruit-pith bitterness lingering after any hint of sweet has vanished.

Overall, while there's a lot of flavour here, its lightness both keeps it almost sessionable and (less positively) prevents it from reaching the highest heights of the style.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

A light copper colour with a huge white head, that lingers and laces down the glass. The nose brings lots of citrus notes with hints of ginger. The taste is all hops, it starts out cirtrusy then ends with resiny bitterness on the back of the pallet, with just enough malt to balance it out. A crisp easy drinking beer, I'm no hop head, but I find this quite enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a clear golden orange with a one finger soapy head that dissipates fairly quickly. Looks pretty good.

In the nose I get some bready malts, grapefruit, other citrus, as well as some tropical fruit. While the citrus notes are prominent, there is a definite sweeter malt note and a strong tropical fruit note that brings to mind mango. I also get a slight piney/resiny note.

As far as taste goes I get less citrus than in the smell and more pine notes followed by a nice bready caramel malt. Of course, there is some citrus and tropical fruit present, but they play more of a supportive role. The supportive role is played by citrus in the bitterness, and tropical fruit backing up the caramel malt sweetness. There is also definitely an orange sweetness in this beer. Very well balanced beer, although not perhaps the most mindblowing.

Mouthfeel is very medium bodied and a touch sticky. I would prefer if this were just a bit drier, but the mouthfeel is still good.

This, to me, is without a doubt the best American Style IPA in Canada, and probably my favorite, along with Southern Tier's IPA, both are world class, and could not be any better.

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Clear, medium amber, not a lot of head but it sticks around & laces the glass.

Big, hoppy aroma, with piney American "C" hops, tropical fruit, melon rind, and a lot of sweetness. Great IPA smell.

Bracingly bitter up front, with a piney bite only slightly softened by light citrus & tropical fruit notes that develop a little slower. After your taste buds acclimatize and the beer warms up a bit you notice that there's also a very substantial candylike sweetness, though with no burnt or toffee notes. Opponents of crystal malt in IPAs will not be pleased - this one is more in the East Coast style despite its geographic origin.

Mouthfeel substantial and somewhat sticky, with fairly low carbonation.

Outstanding. By far my favourite Canadian IPA thus far.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a deep orange with an inch of fluffy head that hangs out for the weekend and lacing is excellent.

The beer is very aromatic nice piney and floral with a little bit of malty nose.

The floral and citrus flavor here is fantastic with just enough malt backbone and nice hoppy zip that stays for a little while.

Very smooth and drinkable no boozy feel just right.

Overall I think that this is one of my favorite IPA's if not my favorite. This is a great beer.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured fairly aggressively from a can into my Perfect Pint glass. Held up, but not directly into the light, it is a golden copper with a bit of orange tinge to it. Really great looking. the head forms about one finger high and dissipates to a thin layer that remains on top for the rest of the beer. As it is consumed, there is some thin lacing left on the glass. Very nice. Clarity is almost crystal clear, with a few bubbles rising to the top.

S: This Red racer has admittedly been in the fridge for a while, but still has is trademark grapefruit-pine Citrus explosion, with some sweet bready caramels from the malts. It makes my mouth water.

T: The hop flavor has lost a little bit of edge from a fresh can, but there is still the citrus flavors coming through with a touch of the pine from the nose. The caramel comes through a bit more in this one because the hops have backed off, so there is an evident caramel and bread characteristic.

M: A little sticky, no doubt from the age on it. Medium body with mild carbonation. Medium finish in the back.

D: One of my all time favorites, its fitting to be my first review. Fresh is definitely miles better, but even aged (1.25 months) it is still pretty good. I could have a few in an evening for sure. Would go well with some buffalo wings and Bleu Cheese sauce.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: Poured a pale, clear, orange/amber like colour. Had about a finger of creamy head. Beautiful lacing on the glass.

Smell: I can smell this one from where I am sitting probably half a meter away from it! Extremely citrusy and fruity. I'm getting grapefruit, pineapple, and orange peels. Red Racer smells delicious.

Taste: All you can ask for in an IPA. Like the smell, Red Racer is exceptionally fruity. Strong grapefruit, oranges, pineapple. Long, bitter and dry finish! Despite the bitterness, it is not overpowering.

Feel: Light mouth feel, medium carbonation. Compliments the robust nature of the beer. Above average feel for an IPA.

It is a toss up between this and Twice as Mad Tom for my favourite Canadian IPA. This one is exceptionally fruity, and robust. Anyone who considers themself a hop head absolutely needs to pick this one up. I am extremely thankful that my local LCBO always seems to carry this, despite the fact that I am in Ontario.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

pours a light amber with 1/2" head that fades quickly.

smells of lemon, hops and slightly grassy

tastes of juicy citrus followed by nice hops then buscuity malt.

drinkability is high, i could easily drink a 6 pack, but would feel nice and fuzzy after.

a great IPA from a great brewery. the food here is awesome too!!

this was the #1 rated beer in BC by CAMRA vancouver.

delicious.... and nutritious!

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

An impressive showing from a brewery with which I was unfamiliar.

Pours amber with peachy tones. Several fingers of frothy, bright white head and heavy, lingering lacing that literally coats the sides of the glass.

The aroma is everything an IPA should be. Very fruity with both citrus and tropical fruit present. Also a beautiful, floral, hoppy aroma.

The taste is mildly hoppy all the way. There is a notable amount of spice, especially pepper, tropical fruits, peach, and citrus at the end. It is never too bitter, but the taste is definitely more punchy than the smell.

Mouthfeel is incredibly full and consistent. Light, sparkly carbonation. Goes down like ice water on a hot day.

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Well I must say I am still not a man free of prejudices. While living in California and become a self-proclaimed hophead, I found the idea of a Canadian IPA to be .. well lets say "odd".

Talk about looking like a fool. This VERY American IPA made in British Columbia is a show stopper and instantly made me happy.

A- Dark Golden Amber, Great head on pour and some decent lacing as well.

S- Hops, Grapefruit, Citurs and sweet. Delicious.

T- Delicious. Again a nice overage of hops but not overkill. Lots of citrus fruit and a lingering finish. A must have for any hophead and one of the best overall canned beers I have ever had. Amazing. I love it.

M- A little oily as expected from the high hops but finishes nicely leaving you wanting another sip.

D- If you are a fan of the style, this is epic. And in a can makes it a great go-to beer for a tailgate or bbq as I plan to do now that I have discovered it.

RESPECT BEER

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Enjoyed this fine beer courtesy of Rutager. Thanks again! Poured from the can into a tulip. Beer has a very nice light orange color and a thick, creamy off white head that dissipates very quickly, leaving lots of bubbly lacing. Smells of pine with some citrus flavors (predominantly orange and tangerine). Medium bodied and crisp with good carbonation. Taste starts with notes of pine and transitions to a rich, mid-palate sweetness (honey) and a touch of malt. Very well-balanced. Finish is amazingly long and pleasantly bitter. If I had regular access to this beer, it would always be in my fridge. The best canned IPA I've had the pleasure of trying, with the exception of Surly Abrasive. Good stuff.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Let me preface this by saying that I don't like IPAs and in turn have not tried a large variety of IPAs.
That said, this is the best IPA I've ever had. Very strong and flavorful without being to bitter (well for most people; I still don't care for the bitterness that much). Despite not having tasted many IPAs I could tell that this was something special. I'd say this is the epitome of what good American IPA is.

Smell: Strong. Great smell, albeit it a simple one. Very hoppy; like a pine tree or something (I'm not good with hop names, but it's predominately pine taste). It probably smells like being in a hops garden, or a pine tree forest.

Appearance: Very clear; Definitely filtered; I guess as one would expect for this style? Amber color (darkness depending on your glass and lighting), again as one would expect. Head: rather fine, stays for a good while; overall rather typical and good.

Mouthfeel: carbonation is average or even slightly on the low side but is also quite smooth/fine. Definitely pleasant I'd say.

Taste: I really like how it has very distinct front and back flavors. The hops taste changes into some other flavors shortly after tasting. I'm not quite sure what those secondary flavors are (malts or something), but it's really cool and complimentary. After enough sips, one can't notice this anymore because the hops takes over the tongue.

Overall verdict: If you love hops and love IPAs then you should totally love this! Otherwise you may merely just want to have a taste, or even avoid it. I'm glad that I tried it because it's inexpensive and great for it's style. That said I don't like its style. I do also like the ABV.

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Picked up a growler from Central City. I've been waiting for this for a while. I'm not the biggest IPA fan, but here goes.

Poured this into a pint glass.

A- Like a golden honey colour. Got about a finger and a half of frothy head. Not bad retention and it holds on to the sides of the glass beautifully. Really nice looking.

S- Holy cow! It smells like I just had a pine tree shoved up my nose. I really didn't expect this. Hoppy and a touch of citrus. I would use this stuff as an air freshener if I could. I wanna smell it all day.

T- Tastes great. The pine is there, but in a good way. I wouldn't have thought that chewing a pine tree would taste good, but this is incredible. Its not overwhelming, but the taste really lingers. There is a citrusy taste that backs up the hops nicely. Very good.

M- Medium body. Definitely fuller than most IPAs I've tasted. Good carbonation that feels good passing over my tongue.

D- Very good. I'm very excited to live so close to the brewery, because this will hold a permanent place in my fridge. I usually don't like really hoppy beers, but this has won me over. Thank you Central City!!

3.77/5  rDev -10.9%

Got this as an extra from lunch on a recent trade.
Poured from a can into my SA perfect pint glass. Nice copper color with medium white head that dissipates into a decent sticky lace. Nice grapefruit aroma. Taste is slightly metallic im sure due to the can but is still quite good. I got a faint tea flavor in the background that was real unusual. Weird that i live 30 minutes from B.C. but i have never seen this beer in my town. Thanks again lunch!

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - very pale orange, little bit of white head, with quite a bit of head lacing.

Smell - citrus hops, heavy in the grapefruit and pineapple.

Taste - very floral hops, just enough malt, very tasty. Absolutely no alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel - light to medium feel.

Overall - big fan of a lot of the ipa's from B.C and this is one of my faavorites.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Red Racer IPA from Central City in Surrey, BC, is one my all-time favourites.

Appearance is a slightly-hazy orange-hinted colour typical of American-style IPAs. Lots of lace around the glass when poured.

But it is the first drink and sniff that gives the game aware. Fistful of citrus, grapefruit taste and smell.

The taste is big, robust mouthful of hops. Not a sipping beer. Very smooth tasting with a long, lingering aftertaste of hops.

Red Racer IPA deservedly was quoted Beer of the Year in BC by local CAMRA for the last two years.

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Pored from a can into snifter

A: Nice golden color, beautiful head, and absolutely unbelievable lacing. (an additional .5 for the can)

S: very nice, fruity, sweet hop aroma, grapefruit, citrus

T: Hoppiness hits you first, but never overwhelming, fades into a very nice sweetness with the hops never really leaving the picture, very well balanced here, malty sweetness used just right with the hoppy bitterness

M: Medium to light

D: very drinkable, and a great example of the style

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours with one finger of white head that lasts. Good lacing on the glass. Crystal clear golden yellow with a hint of copper.
S - Big dry hop smell right up front, citrus and buttered bread, resiny.
T - Big citrus flavours off the top, resin and pine, bready, and of course hops.
M - Mild carbonation, leaves the mouth with just the right amount of tackiness or dryness.
O - In my opinion, an example of a West Coast IPA done right.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

1910 - Smith's Glyco-Heroin cough mixture becomes a best-selling cold remedy.

1929 - Coca Cola end a thirty-year practice of fortifying their soda drink with cocaine extract.

2010 - Central City Brewing finally admit their IPA is brewed primarily from crack and jelly-beans?

This is a beautiful golden IPA with gentle carbonation. It smells like candied hops, the usual citrus spectrum, and mulled tropical fruit. The bitterness/sweetness balance is exemplary, resulting in an uncomplicated yet alluring brew. It is suspiciously wonderful. I think I finally understand the unfiltered exuberance with which toddlers behold SunnyD. Get some.

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

copper in color with thick white head that fades quickly. The initial smell is strong of citrus hops but fades quickly as well. The taste is like biting into a centennial and cascade battered orange rind. The flavor is good but kind of weak and watered down. The beer is extremely drinkable and is what I consider a upscale sierra Nevada. Overall decent beer.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

This is my favorite brew, a ranking which I base on overall quality and availability. There may be better IPAs, but not ones on which I can consistently purchase. The crisp taste that lingers on the palate tastes of citrus and piney notes, and the there is no concept of diminishing returns with this beer, I find I can enjoy them all night.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I first had this in Van on draft. I decided to give it a go as it was a special of the night. I had one and drank it all night. It is aggressive but has an addictive hop quality. If you are in the mood for an IPA where the hop barrels over the malt this is for you.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers