Barley's Rye IPA - Barley's Brewing Company

Barley's Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Wildman on 09-24-2004)
kbrown

11-14-2011 07:38:54 | More by Geno78
Ryan011235

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

On tap in a pint glass at Alehouse No. 1 on 2/12/11

Cloudy tangerine with golden highlights. 1/4th inch head thins but leaves good lace regardless.

Solid citrus aroma. Tangerine, orange peel, maybe a spot of grapefruit. The pith and peel aromas are accented by a dry rye note. Sweet cracker offers a soft offset. Smells nice. Tastes similar to their Centennial IPA. Blend of citrus; mostly orange coming through. The rye is very well-suited, imparting a welcomed dryness throughout (especially on the finish). Medium body with a penchant for rolling fizziness. Utmost dry finish.

This is a really nice take on what I swear is their flagship IPA. This is a spot-hitter.

04-06-2011 05:36:30 | More by Ryan011235
ne0m00re

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

01/28/11- Had this one on-tap at Barley's Ale House 1.
A: Cloudy burnt-orange amber, with a nice one-finger white head with lacing.
S: Rye bread, honey orange, green and almost cannabis hops, very slight pineapple... good.
T: Light rye bread, dry orange, very nice musty earthy hops... there's a great balance here. This is an awesome RIPA.
M: Moderately thick with a good froth and a crisp finish.
D: Great.

This is a good RIPA. There is a very good integration of rye here. Again, Barley's catches me by surprise.

01-31-2011 02:59:49 | More by ne0m00re
Stavebomb

4.6/5  rDev +13%

I had this on tap at the High street location and man was I delightfully surprised by this brew. Thanks to Goose Island, for the past nine months or so I have been under the impression that rye beers are not my cup of tea, or beer, or whatever... However, after trying this rye IPA I have an entirely different opinion towards the style. This beers appearance was awesome. It was cloudy and almost tumultuous looking with a nice fluffy off white head. The smell was even better. Upon burying my nose in this delectable brew I was able to distinguish some strong citrus, floral and grapefruit notes. It was like a beautiful bouquet. The taste was bitter and hoppy, as expected, and had a nice crisp finish. I would consider myself a hop head and would recommend this to any fan of IPAs and DIPAs.

09-09-2010 08:56:31 | More by Stavebomb
rabsten

West Virginia

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

From the firkin into a pint glass: no head, no carbonation, cloudy, brownish, watery. Looked like rainwater collected in a glass colored by some rusting nails. Ugly, ugly beer.

Now, that out of the way, I liked it a lot. Nice, floral and rye aroma - like a mild pumpernickel with some hops. Spicy rye flavor with balanced bitterness. Nice. Mouthfeel was kinda watery, like a weak iced tea. Still, pretty drinkable. Easy to imagine that this was the way beer used to be back in the day - the late Eighteenth century day that is.

All in all, worth my time and money. I'd really like to have one at cellar temp rather than room temp, with some carbonation added. Then this could be a really nice beer.

04-25-2010 16:07:39 | More by rabsten
shivtim

Georgia

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

This was available on cask, so I went for it.
Slightly hazy, golden amber in color. Dense white head. Looks good.
Nose was strong hops and slight citrus. Somewhat one-noted, but not bad at all.
Taste was spicy, sticky hops. Lingering strong piney hops. Subtlety yet nicely contrasted against the nose. Slight tinges of sour grapefruit.
Solid mouthfeel, and good drinkability.

01-07-2010 02:19:14 | More by shivtim
BeerBelcher

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

I am a sucker for the word "rye" in a beer name, so I had to order one of these in my first visit to Barleys Brewing Co. And while I was skeptical of my choice after a disappointing experience with the 4 Seas DIPA and I was dismayed at the very pale color of this beer, I was happily surprised by the aroma and flavor of this beer.

Body was pale. Head was plentiful. Aroma was hoppy, but had a really satisfying malty biscuit note to it. Flavor was hoppy, and had a mouth-scratching character I've found in other rye beers. Still non-threatening and approachable, but I found it to be very good.

I would recommend this beer. I had this on-tap at the brewery.

02-10-2009 02:37:45 | More by BeerBelcher
hopdog

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Growler acquired in trade with mcallister (thanks!).

Poured a medium and cloudy golden / amber color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of pine, juicy oranges, grapefruit, and has a lighter rye breadiness to it. Tastes of grapefruit, bready, and rye. Grapefruit is the main aroma and tastes with definite rye in there as well. Body on the thin side.

Notes from 2/3/07

11-23-2008 01:47:16 | More by hopdog
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Mildly murky dark honey at the (wider) top of the pint glass, fading to mildly murky light honey at the (narrower) bottom. By the time the beer got to me, there was almost no head. No more than a smattering of lace was formed, although what managed to stick, stayed.

This is the first off-site beer that I've ever reviewed without the benefit of notes. My company deserved my (almost) complete attention, so we'll see what the ol' memory banks can come up with. The nose was brightly, citrusy hoppy, but wasn't quite aromatic enough to earn the same score as the flavor. Grapefruit mixed with something else of a tropical nature...

... caused me to ask the server if she knew what hops were used. She wasn't sure, but went to ask the brewmaster (yes, I gave her a big tip). And the answer is Centennial and Simcoe. I don't remember guessing, but that made a whole lot of sense the rest of the way. Can't go wrong with two of my all-time favorties.

Each mouthful was a glorious combination of sugar cookie-like pale malt (with very little flavor contribution) and a huge blast of American hops that were dripping with alpha acids. When Barley's brews hoppy beer, they don't mess around! I would love to know the IBUs. Pushing 80 probably.

The sunshine bright white grapefruit juiciness of the Centennial dominated. As in the nose, there was something else (lemon peel and pineapple juice-like) that just had to be Simcoe. Although I was able to convince myself that I could appreciate the spiciness imparted by the rye malt, I probably wouldn't have come up with that on my own.

I remember thinking that the mouthfeel was more tap-like than cask-like (I had to look it up to be sure that the serving type for a beer from a firkin should be 'cask'). It was firm without being creamy and was more carbonated than I typically like (only during the first few ounces). On a good note, the mouthfeel matched the buzzsaw nature of the flavor profile very well.

It turns out that my Barley's Rye IPA experience (four days ago) was more vivid than I gave it credit for. This is tremendous beer that any hophead worth his salt should be able to drink by the firkinful. I know I would if I still lived in Columbus.

09-21-2007 20:09:15 | More by BuckeyeNation
ndekke39

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

Ordered on-tap at Barley's Smokehouse No. 1. Poured a cloudy honey color with heavy lacing and a white head. Very hoppy smell - a little too one note. Hints of sweet honey, bitter citrus (like grapefruit), yeast. Hoppy taste, too. Piney. Bitter finish. Hops are good, but they're one note and they don't travel anywhere. Mouthfeel is a tad creamy with a tiny bit of fizz. Drinkability is good, although the hops are overpowering and lack any real complexity.

09-07-2006 02:04:09 | More by ndekke39
mattcrill

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Had this at Barley's Third Annual Mini-RAF

Appearance: Cloudy orange with straw-like edges. Kind of an off-white, soap-sudsy head.

Smell: Nice citrus with some bready notes. Orange and lemon zest spikes jump out intermittently.

Taste: Pine, orange, and lemony notes abound...Good stuff with some sweeter floral and grassy hop notes that emerge as the beer warms. Wheat-bread notes provide a nice balanced base.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and slick with a drying alcohol finish.

Drinkability: Fresh and refreshing...a slammable summer beer. Nicely done by the boys at Barleys.

04-17-2005 19:55:14 | More by mattcrill
Wildman

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

This is the latest experiment by Scott and Angelo at Barley's. This is an Rye IPA in addition to the Rye Ale they already make. This beer was a copper amber color and formed a bubbly snow white head that left circular lace as it subsided. The aroma was of malt and hops. The flavor was of malt, hops and definate hint of rye, unlike other beers. The finish was slightly astrigent. On a whole, it reminded of the IPAs that go over the top like Dreadnaught, but not in the hop direction or alcohol level. Another fine effort from the Barley boys.

09-24-2004 23:11:14 | More by Wildman