Barley's Rasberry Wheat Ale - Barley's Brewing Company

No picture.

pDev: n/a
Barley's Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-27-2002

3.8/5  rDev n/a

Raspberry Wheat is an interesting color. It looks like a very hazy gold color that’s lightly stained pink. Looks pretty nice. Backlighting gives it a slight orange tint. A soft white head tops it and stands just shy of a finger tall. It’s quick to dissipate, leaving very light lacing behind.

The nose is pretty good. Better than I expected. It’s not all that strong. A bit more strength would be good. It starts out with a nice does of earthy, grainy notes. No big shock there. Raspberry definitely complements those scents well. The raspberry is a bit restrained and doesn’t overpower the other scents. I like that. Light, earthy hops are noted, but they’re very subtle. Alcohol is buried.

The flavor is good. I’m surprised at how much I like this. It does have a really nice earthy, grainy flavor that’s typical in good American wheat ales. It’s light and refreshing. Raspberry really adds a nice, complementary flavor. It works extremely well and has a light, somewhat subtle presence. I’m impressed. It does have some very light, earthy hop notes. They’re not bitter though. Alcohol isn’t noticeable at all. Good stuff.

Raspberry Wheat has a very light body. Carbonation is light and restrained. For the style, it works pretty well. Definitely goes down easy. This would be great on a hot summer day. My wife and I split the growler, but I could’ve easily tackled it alone.

I’m surprised at how much I like Raspberry Wheat. It’s good stuff. I like how raspberry was used – as a subtle, complementary component. It’s present in just the right amount. I’m not generally a big fan of fruit beers, but this is good stuff. I definitely wouldn’t mind a growler on a hot, summer day. Check it out. (1,737 characters)

3.88/5  rDev n/a

On tap at the Brewery last night into a clean, clear glass.

A Appropriate light look with possibly a red or pink hue. Not much head retention.

S Distinct fruitty sweetness that I expected and is true to style. Repeated smell revealed the softness of a light wheat.

T Very nice pairing of the Wheat Ale with the raspberry. I am not the world's biggest fan of Fruit beers but this is really on target for the style. I could feel the texture of the raspberries in my mouth. It was also quite refreshing.

M Appropriately thin to moderate.

D Very good indeed. I can imagine this on a hot day or alternatively with chocolate dessert. (633 characters)

3.87/5  rDev n/a

It's what Purple Haze wants to be when it grows up. Usually not a fan of fruit beers, I can drink this one and enjoy it. It is unusually loaded with complexity. It has a sweet foundaiton of barley that is noticed in the nose and flavor. A solid wheat addition adds a cereal grain flavor and and extremely creamy texture and smoothness. The Raspberry additions are nicely infused into the beer; adding sweetness, tartness, and a fruity dimension that is well infused, melded, and brewed. A nice yeasty 'twang' adds to the tartness and bitterness. This adds an interest that is usually missing in fruit beers. The fruit is not the focus of this beer, but another ingredients that add to brew. (690 characters)

3.08/5  rDev n/a

Mostly berry on the nose with some bready sense poking through. The look is clear amber with a small white head and good lace. Small berry taste in the beginiing with much bread coming in as it warms. This is one that my wife might like, but I stick with Barley's big beers and there are many of them, like the cask-conditioned IPA that washed this beer away. (359 characters)

3.19/5  rDev n/a

Meh. I am glad I only purchased a sample of this between glasses of Glenlenny's Scotch Ale. I did so because I knew I am not a fan of fruit beers. The beer pours a hazy orange-gold color with a thin white head. Lacing is very thin and quick as well. Aroma is all raspberry. Light-bodied and crisp, luckily the raspberry flavor is not as strong in the flavor as it is in the aroma. There is a little wheat and hops flavor there as well. The finish is crisp and lightly hopped. Still, I would not get this beer again, as Barley's has much better to offer. (553 characters)

4.3/5  rDev n/a

This beer was a cloudy gold color, in fact very cloudy. A small white head was present that left little lace. An aroma of hops and a slight hint of the raspberry was present. The flavor was of hops and raspbeery. The finish was good, since the raspberry presence was a compliment to the beer and not overpowering or overbearing. A good wheat beer with still reminds of a wheat version of the Christmas Ale. (406 characters)

Barley's Rasberry Wheat Ale from Barley's Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.