Barley's Angelo's Crooked Sky Rye - Barley's Brewing Company

Barley's Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Rye Beer |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-28-2002)
Dogbrick

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Tasted at Barley's 10th Anniversary Party on November 21st. This beer was a dark amber color with a very thin beige head. Nutty and toasty aroma. Complemented my meatloaf very well as it was a tart and crisp. Not the best Barley's has to offer but above average.

12-05-2002 09:08:42 | More by Dogbrick
Wildman

4.33/5  rDev +19%

This beer was a copper color and formed a light bubbly white head that left a little lace. The aroma was of hops. The taste was of hops, malt and a slight sweet flavor maybe orange. The body was light and the finish was dry. One of their better lighter beers.

05-28-2002 16:20:22 | More by Wildman
AtLagerHeads

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Strangely enough I really enjoyed this rather light beer. It has a very zingy feel to it and finish with a real snap. The copper body and thin tan head were OK with the nose following with hops notes. The flavor is very light and does not linger at all. Crisp and clean feel. The drinkability is probably higher than my rating especially with some of Barley's great foods.

10-30-2003 13:13:23 | More by AtLagerHeads
beergeek279

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Served as a sample at Barley's #1. The color was copper with some head. The smell was malty. The taste was a much drier malt than I've had in barley or wheat beers. Mouthfeel was fairly well carbonated. As for drinkability, could have quite a few more of these.

Quite a good beer for my first rye beer. A style that I've wanted to try, and how I've had the chance. The Crooked Sky was a simply fantastic treat, and one I'd have again!

11-04-2003 02:07:53 | More by beergeek279
klewis

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%

A: Poured with a nice golden color. Not much head, but left a good amount of lace on the glass.

S: Gummi worms (that's right) and touches of hops and rye

T: Flavors of grass and coconut quickly gave way to overwhelming rye flavors that dominated the palatte.

M: Mouthfeel was good, with medium carbonation and a rather full body.

D: This is a very unusual twist on the IPA style, and I've never had anything quite like this. For me, the rye flavor was a little too much to enjoy this beer by itself; this one would definitely be best with a sandwich. Of all of Barley's beers, this was my least favorite, but with that said, I would probably order it again.

11-06-2005 19:21:56 | More by klewis
blakesell

2.15/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured from the tap into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a clear golden like a pilsner with a thin but not quick to fade cream colored head. Lacing is moderate but not thick on the sides of the glass.

Smell- Rye and corny under attenuated lager macro scents immediately become fragrant, rye dies down and more cheap lager rises. There are no indicators by the name between ale or lager here, so who knows what it is?

Taste- Tastes so much like a pilsner that I had to ask for a taster of the pilsner just to make sure. There is no rye on the taste and much corn on the finish. Very macro beer tasting, perhaps slightly more full bodied, but that's about it.

Mouthfeel- Medium-light bodied, smooth I suppose, medium in carbonation, unimpressive.

Drinkability- If I were a swiller of "normal beers" this would get a 5.0. Unfortunately for them, I'm a different breed of drinker.

10-26-2008 22:01:44 | More by blakesell
j_hollings13

06-19-2014 14:52:28 | More by j_hollings13
Buildscharacter

Georgia

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

This light burnt orange beer came to me at the bar served by a cute bartenderess. The beer was cloudy through the light and had an AMAZING floral aroma. It was like nothing I have ever had before. They must have just loaded in the aroma hops in this one. I was very excited to take a first sip.

Overall it felt rather thin, but maybe that's just because I tend to like thicker pale ales. There was a sharp bitterness that I thoguht that I liked at first, but then decided against it. The floral aroma helped, but it wasn't a pleasent bitter.
The aftertaste was a woody rye if that makes any sense. You could definetly tell where this beer got its malt from, but in the end it could have used a bit more body.

09-28-2006 21:11:55 | More by Buildscharacter
Barley's Angelo's Crooked Sky Rye from Barley's Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.