Barley's Hoptic Nerve EyePA - Barley's Brewing Company

Barley's Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: prototypic on 06-09-2012

4.44/5  rDev +8.6%

Was visiting Columbus from up north and found this one at Barley's downtown establishment and over at the popular Bodega. What a treat! Looks a bit thinner and more yellow than I'm used to. But a fabulous bitter and dry taste for those hopheads out there. A real treasure -- wish I'd brought back a growler now that I think about it.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

Hoptic Nerve EyePA pours a lighter copper color. It’s definitely hazy. Moreso than I expected. Backlighting gives it a nice orange look. It’s topped with a slightly off-white head. It rises to about a finger and a half in height before falling back. It takes quite a while for it to completely dissipate. Lacing was very thick and sticky, leaving a really nice web of lace trailing down the glass.

The nose is quite impressive. Hops are readily apparent from the first whiff. I have no idea what the hop bill is, but it smells very citric. Grapefruit, orange, mango, and pineapple are all noted. Smells delicious! There’s a bit of malt that’s noted, but not much really. Smells like a hint of caramel. It’s very subdued and subtle though. I like that. This one’s all about hops! Alcohol seems pretty well restrained. I’m not getting much. Smells very good!

The flavor is equally as impressive! This stuff is delicious! Hops are definitely front and center. They feature a really nice mix of citric grapefruit, orange, and pineapple flavors. A strong dose of pine is present, as well. There is a caramel malt base, but it does little to balance out the flavor. It’s a sturdy enough backdrop, but the hops are very flavorful and bitter. It’s not completely palate wrecking, but it does some damage. Alcohol is blended very well and is mostly unnoticeable. I was told that it’s about 7% abv. Seems about right. Finishes hoppy and a little dry.

Hoptic Nerve EyePA has a medium body. Carbonation seems light and soft. It’s definitely smooth and easy drinking. I’m splitting the growler, but I wouldn’t have minded a solo endeavor. It is that good!

Hoptic Nerve EyePA was the winner of Barley’s 2011 homebrew competition. It’s my understanding that it’s the creation of Matt Mazure and Shane Green. I don’t know those guys, but they apparently brew great beer. Hoptic Nerve EyePA is simply excellent! It’s chock full of aggressive, delicious hop flavor! That’s the ticket for a great American IPA. Matt and Shane, this is great stuff! I suggest you develop a plan to bring us more beer…pronto! Go grab a growler while you can!

Barley's Hoptic Nerve EyePA from Barley's Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.