Ichor - Sly Fox Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 04-09-2006

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

Bloody chestnut with orange peel trim. It's never good when removing the cork results in complete silence. The fact that almost no head formed on the pour is further evidence that there's a serious lack of carbonation. At most, I got a slim one finger of beige froth that is now almost gone. I have a feeling this won't be a good experience.

The nose is more dark lager than it is Belgian quadrupel. There's a faint hint of dark malt and that's about it. With precious few bubbles, how can the beer be aerosolized enough to make an impact on my nose? The obvious answer is that it can't.

I was all set to be disappointed, but Ichor is surprisingly intact on the palate. Sure, it's as flat as a pancake, but given my penchant for subdued carbonation in most styles (most Belgians excepted), I don't mind all that much. The good thing is that it doesn't seem to have adversely affected the flavor... much.

Ichor is as much a BSDA as it is a quadrupel. It's dark fruity (fig preserves, raisin paste, dark rum-soaked plums) and is moderately spicy (clove primarily). There's also quite a bit of dark candi sugar present, which gives it a dark caramel-burnt sugar vibe. In fact, I could almost believe that it was aged in bourbon barrels. I don't mind the well-integrated booziness one bit.

Needless to say, the mouthfeel needs a lot of help. I can deal with the lack of animation (as long as I pretend it's low-ABV dark rum rather than high-ABV beer), but the thinness is far from appropriate for a quadrupel. Although all that sugar gives it some amount of finishing stickness, there's nothing of substance behind it. I can only dream what the beer would be like with two or three times as much viscosity... which is exactly what is needed.

It's obvious that Ichor is a better beer than the one I opened today. It's be great to experience it as the brewers intended, but I have no desire to trade for another bottle (thanks BitterBrian) since there's no guarantee I'll get a good one next time. My impression is that Sly Fox BC is a good brewery that better pay closer attention to quality control if they want to play in the big leagues.

2.26/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Another big thanks to warriorsoul for handing this off to me. you are too kind. After a labor intensive 5 minutes of prying the cork out, it finally popped--crap that took awhile.

A: Pours a very dark brown with a reddish tint to it. Very soapy and bubbly head dissipates very fast--no retention on the head. Bubbles on the sides of the glass make me believe it's carbonated, but I'm not sure as the cork slide out of the bottle and didn't pop. Looking at the cork now, I see it didn't expand outward as most corks in beer bottles do once they're popped. This almost looks like an aggressively poured red wine.
S: Spicy and wheaty in the nose with intense fruit. Cherries and other dark fruits. Those are the perfect aromas to a quad. The spicyness is subdued and the fruit aromas are hefty.
T/M: Well, this isn't carbonated at all. Flat, well, no sir, I don't particularly like my beer flat, unless it's on cask. Since it took me about 5 minutes to pry the cork out, well...I'm not a happy camper right now. Tastes like thick sweet juic with a wheaty aftertaste--those are layman's terms if you weren't aware. Wheaty notes aren't big but definitely noticeable. Dark fruit--fig and plum--notes covered in spices and a candied thickness stick to the palate and don't let go. Cough syrup like flavors towards the back of the throat and on the tongue made me cringe a bit. Aftertaste of wheaty cough syrup to put it bluntly. Unfortunately this wasn't the best quad in the world.
D: This went the way of the drain after the first snifter. Quality control problem? Possibly. If I cross the brew again, I'd be tempted to pick it up as it could be a great one.

3.21/5  rDev -16%

Bottle courtesy of Hopdog: Poured a dark brown color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of dry sweet fruits and cookie dough is quite nice and enjoyable. Taste is generally lighter then expected with some sweet fruit and light cookie dough being enjoyable but less complex then I would have liked it to be. Body is way too thin for the style and carbonation is very low which doesn’t fit the style IMHO. Alcohol is well hidden and I would have to say that this a fair example of the style but better carbonation and fuller body would be even better.

2.93/5  rDev -23.3%

my bottle says it was brewed and bottled in royersford. for what its worth, the label (pictured, right) is kick-ass. their graphic design is tops in the world of beer packaging. it's a shame the beer doesn't look so good.

the bottle opens with a thpftpop. for those of you who don't speak in cork sounds, that means that the sound the cork made being pulled out of the bottle is akin to a wet.. um, 'tube' sliding out of a um.. 'hole'. nothing. no carbonation, no buildup, nothing. when i pour it.. well.. it's the right color, but too much light is getting through. there are crimson highlights where there should be more complex darkness, and there is a reflective brown shine where there should be bubbles and hazy clouds.

the beer smells pretty good. bright fruity berry hints , slightly phenolic but not overpowering. a crisp waft of tart red apple and a complex belgian sugary sweetness. warmth and deeper inhales bring banana to the phenol and even a hint of sweetly spiced african coffee beans.

mouthfeel is awful. it's painfully thin for the boozy and sweet shock that hits you. although it doesn't overpower the flavor, its like drinking something caustic or otherwise assaultive to the taste buds. before you have a chance to enjoy it, you've taken too much in and your face sucks up in a death cringe. it's too sweet, in an unfermented way. the candied fig and date puree flavors that i like in belgian quads are there, but go somewhat underappreciated due to the mess this beer has created. i am really kind of afraid before i take each sip, although its not bad enough to drain pour.

i wonder if time would have done anything here. somehow i doubt it, and i tried this back in april and dug it.. so, in closing, i'd say drink them fresh and hope you hear a popppzz and not a thrpftpop.

3.82/5  rDev 0%

appearance dark mahaganony almost with very little head smells of apple and alcohol tastes of apple and candi sugar with nice hops and completed by alcohol flavors the mouthfeel is thin for a quadrupel but is good for a domestic representation id say i could a 750 bottle then wait a few days and have any more

comments yea this is a recommendation nice interpretation of a belgian

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured out a clear dark brown with no head whatsoever. Had a huge nose, I mean a tremendously big nose. Raisin, cherry, cranberry, sherry, alcohol, all playing very nicely together. The body was sweet, but not cloying. It had honey, mollasses, raw sugar. This gave way to some other interesting flavors, orange, cola, sherry. It went down a little oily slick and viscous, warm too. Had a lot going on, especially the sweeter flavors, but not poorly balanced at all. Really enjoyable.

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle provided by Beerbeing ala BIF33. Thanks for the opportunity. Hard pour earns a thin layer of light brown head. Flat. Super dark browsn and clear-brown edgings when held to light. Smells chocolate and a touch of belgian funk. Burnt grains, plums, mildly of toffee, cheery sour. Some alcohol sting that's clean of fusels.

Tastes belgian funky with chocolate. Belgian candy sugar. Sweet. Plum wine stingy. Swet malt hangs on the tongue due to the thick body., but the chocolate is drying, as is the alcohol sting. Still on the sweet though. Touch of cherry sour.

Thick mouthfel and nearly absent carbonation. But, the lack of carb was not disturbing. Pretty tasty, but not something I'll seek out again. I'm glad I shared half of the 750 ml bottle with my wife.

4.09/5  rDev +7.1%

Got this as an extra from generous and classy Melbatoast.

Man, what a dark pour ... very stout like in appearance save for the meager head. Go ahead and hold it to a light like I did ... I'll bet not a shaft of luminescence came through the big black body. As I said, not much head and not much lacing. Nose is enough to make you say Jimminy Jilickers! Well ... that may be going a bit far but it IS damn good. I get loads of sweet sweetness, like sugar encrusted caramel and dark plums. Iinitially it smelled very rummy and alcohol infused, but as I drank it those smells backed off and it became even more complex.

Similarly the taste really opens up at room temp. Soft dark plums, braeburn apples, and burnt sugar come together to please the tongue. I really like this.

Mouth was a bit thin and short on carbonation but again, even though I let it warm for half an hour before opening, it wasn't until it hit room temp that the mouth really showed me what it could do.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy this. Definitely an enjoyable brew ... if I had the cash I'd buy six and let them age as long as I could. A definite treat.

4.48/5  rDev +17.3%

I love the look of the Sly Fox pull corks, but damn if I didn't need a cockscrew to actually get it out of the bottle.

Pour initially looks black, then later purple as the beer goes down, but I'll say it is actually an extremely dark red, appropriate enough for "blood of the gods". Small off-white head quickly disipates into a collar at the glass and an oil slick on the surface.

Nose is full of dark fruits with a touch of candy. A very enjoyable sniff, full of promise.

Taste is all about the dark - plums and raisins and prunes and red grapes plus a slight undercurrent of apple. If dark was a taste, besides chocolate, this might be it. So fruity its a cosmic smoothie. Warming alcohol after the swallow.

Wonderfull full mouthfeel. Extremely low carbonation, it all seems it exit on the pour with a snake-like hiss.

Yes this is another beer that dear old "dangerously drinkable" applies to.

A wonderful nightcaper of a beer from Brian O'Reilly and the folks at Sly Fox. Seek it and savor it.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

Dark, deep ruby/chestnut beer with a thin, light tan head that settled quickly to a ring. Minimal spotty lacing. Big fruity aroma of prunes, figs, and raisins, along with rich, dark malt (light roast with bittersweet chocolate). Yeast contribute some character as well, mostly a freshly baked bread smell. Alcohol is present in the nose, but is restrained and blends in well. While the fruit character from the aroma is in full force in the flavour, the malt character is somewhat expanded - it's more nutty and has a bit of toffee blended in. Sweet, caramelized sugar is solid throughout and is accompanied by mellow alcohol flavour and warmth. Low carbonation, full bodied, with a bit of stickiness. A bold beer with a nice balance and accessible complexity. I like this one quite a bit and plan to bring some back to Toronto to pass around.

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

Great packaging Sly Fox is looking good especially since it's a new beer in the Pittsburgh market...taken home and split with a friend...yeah split this one with a friend. Appearance...pours with minimal carbonation the luciously textured cola colored brownish plum hue of the body is paired with a thin large bubbled light tan creamy head leaves behind thin sparse specks of lacing around my chalice. Aromatics are heavy on the anise just like my Italian grandmothers cookies, alcohol infused fruit esters such as plum, raisin, and tart apples, hint of vanilla beans with a spicy finish...very complex. Flavor has a vinous character with more of that tart apple, raisin, over ripened fruit soaked alcohol feel to it, the alcohol isn't burning anything well hidden soft sweetness spiced dark christmas bread with soft vanilla and powdered chocolate notes present. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied carbonation is lacking but does indeed go down very smooth silky presence on the palate. Drinkablity incredibly yet dangerously drinkable seek out a DD for this fine creation out of Eastern PA, I enjoyed it with good company.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to DarkerTheBetter for the bottle with attractive label on this 750 which is way more than any human needs to consume in a sitting.

Apearance is a murky dark buh-lack crimson with a scant ray of light oozing through when held up to the light. Nary a headcap exists and an occasional stray bubble rises to the still surface. It seems that booze has the best of this one.

Anise and root beer notes in the nose with a followup of vanilla pudding. Intersting scents here that seem to linger about a melange of dark fruit such as figs and even some red apple. Quite nice.

First swigs: Blend of birch beer, anise and toasted caramel malt. A middle twinge of brown sugar. Booze wallop of 10% is in check. Quick aftertaste of toasted grain waffle and maple syrup.

Feel is restrained in carbonation with a lingering dryness. Seductive awl-kee-hawl silky smoothness.

Last swigs: Anise and sugar tea quad. Why are quads so rare? This one rocks and so does Weyerbacher. I need more.

Beer is good. Happy local quad beering.

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

2006 vintage in 750 ml bottle, corked and caged. Like the Incubus I just had, there was no real fanfair when I popped the champagne cork but the smell and taste were surely there. The aroma was malty and fruity (figs and raisins). The taste was malty sweetness and deep fruity. The taste of raisins really comes through on the tongue. Like the Incubus, the abv is masked very well although there is a touch of alcohol going down. The active carbonation gives this fine beer a medium body and leaves it pretty drinkable.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

750ml bottle obtained via trade with hopdog. Thanks for the opportunity... Corked and caged.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 3/8" creamy beige head over the clear dark burgundy brew. Head almost immediately recedes to just bubbling around the rim, with ample lacing. Aroma is malt syrup with dark fruits and spicing. Taste is spicy dark malt sweetness, with dark fruit notes, closing warm and with a bit of cough syrup lingering. Mouthfeel is okay, a bit too chewy for me though, and drinkability is quashed a tad by same. A little too hot for me to enjoy as much as I would have liked.

2.84/5  rDev -25.7%

in stock @ oak tree buy rite, edison nj (it says brewed in royersford on the label)

I am a bit wary of their bomber stuff as I haven't really liked any of them except the dopplebock... but the canned stuff they make is so damn good I want to at least give them the old college try. plus oak tree really needs my money... I mean, they seem to love taking it by providing a ridiculous selection.. even in the last 3 months the places has improved 5 times!

eyes...
damn this cork took a workout to get off... good thing my right hand is in good shape. what little head there is is gone in 20 seconds.. maybe less, I think I blinked... near black and almost opaque. leaves legs like a boozy wine. not much is impressing me in the look of this one.

nose...
boozy like bourbon barrells, prunes and dark fruit absolutely soaked in booze for a year. some light hints of floral sweetness float on top, there is a dash of vinegar in there as well. interesting nose.

taste etc...
the carbonation is very low, almost non existent, it is very coating and syrupy especially in the finish. the alcohol is nearly burning on the way down, blind I might think this is some sort of barleywine... it drinks and tastes more like that, there is a strange blackberry/wine flavor to this one with a sweet finish like a red wine (not sugary). It almost tastes a bit artificial.. like those ice sticks you buy and stick in your freezer. ever have the grape one? well, dip one in absolut and suck on it.. that's this beer. I can't say it is too enjoyable. the body is medium but just a hair more carbonation might suit this one better. the alcohol is not that noticeable in the flavor, one of the only "kudos" moments I can give this one... dissapointing.

verdict?
when I can buy abt12 for nearly the same price why the heck would I get this? I give this one a thumbs down. it isn't offensive but it isn't very good either.

folllow up:
I had to dump about 30% of this bottle.. it sucked that bad.. I am actually being sort of kind on this review with my scores... it probably deserves worse.

Ichor from Sly Fox Brewing Company