Ichor - Sly Fox Brewing Company

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 04-09-2006

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
2.84/5  rDev -25.7%

in stock @ oak tree buy rite, edison nj (it says brewed in royersford on the label)

I am a bit wary of their bomber stuff as I haven't really liked any of them except the dopplebock... but the canned stuff they make is so damn good I want to at least give them the old college try. plus oak tree really needs my money... I mean, they seem to love taking it by providing a ridiculous selection.. even in the last 3 months the places has improved 5 times!

eyes...
damn this cork took a workout to get off... good thing my right hand is in good shape. what little head there is is gone in 20 seconds.. maybe less, I think I blinked... near black and almost opaque. leaves legs like a boozy wine. not much is impressing me in the look of this one.

nose...
boozy like bourbon barrells, prunes and dark fruit absolutely soaked in booze for a year. some light hints of floral sweetness float on top, there is a dash of vinegar in there as well. interesting nose.

taste etc...
the carbonation is very low, almost non existent, it is very coating and syrupy especially in the finish. the alcohol is nearly burning on the way down, blind I might think this is some sort of barleywine... it drinks and tastes more like that, there is a strange blackberry/wine flavor to this one with a sweet finish like a red wine (not sugary). It almost tastes a bit artificial.. like those ice sticks you buy and stick in your freezer. ever have the grape one? well, dip one in absolut and suck on it.. that's this beer. I can't say it is too enjoyable. the body is medium but just a hair more carbonation might suit this one better. the alcohol is not that noticeable in the flavor, one of the only "kudos" moments I can give this one... dissapointing.

verdict?
when I can buy abt12 for nearly the same price why the heck would I get this? I give this one a thumbs down. it isn't offensive but it isn't very good either.

folllow up:
I had to dump about 30% of this bottle.. it sucked that bad.. I am actually being sort of kind on this review with my scores... it probably deserves worse. (2,087 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last