Phoenix Pale Ale - Sly Fox Brewing Company

good

Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 05-13-2006)

PaBeerLover, Dec 09, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +28.7%

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass.

A-Copper color and very little head(due to how I poured it),semi visible color.

S-Grapefruit and a smell I cant put my nose on.(pine mabey)?

T-Grapefruit and other citrus taste's.Malt,I think the malt keeps the hops from overpowering the taste.Its a very Neutral taste.

M-Great mouthful,exploding flavors in your mouth that attack your palate but in a good way.But not to the point where they both overpower.

D-God made this pale especially for me! I think this is the best pale ale I ever had in my life.There isnt one bad thing about this beer.I could drink this all day and probaly be plastered by the night.We all have a weekness,Kudo's to SLYFOX for this one.

MmmIPA, Sep 04, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +26%

Appearance: poured into a glass. A finger or two of head, and a nice deep amber color.

Smell: a pleasant combination of hops, barley, and malt. Generally pleasing.

Taste: Delicious. Maybe it's due to the mood I'm in, or maybe to perfect serving conditions, or simply just fine craftsmanship. A hop presence, balanced out superbly by grain flavor. Couldn't imagine a better pale ale flavor for the mood I'm in.

Mouthfeel: not an overly heavy beer, and has nice carbonation.

overall: i'm glad I have more.

loveingminor, Apr 27, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +24.7%

A: Pours a nice bright yellow orange with a nice head. Good lacing also.

S: Nice lite hop aroma with a little citrus coming through. Very faint malty aroma. The smell doesn't say much for good tasting beer IMO.

T: Very up front hops taste and bitterness. Some citrus in there as well. Dam this is a tasty beer. Not too hoppy and not too bitter. Just right.

This is one tasty beer. This was my first beer from Sly Fox. I hope the rest of their beers taste as good as this one does.

Buggies, Jan 07, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +21.4%

Thanks to DarkerTheBetter for this one.

Pour produces a one finger, frothy, eggshell head. A beautiful golden-copper, apple juice colored body.

Smells of fresh hops, but it's not as strong as a West Coast Pale. You know the smells - citrus, pine, grapefruit, apricot, etc. Yum.

Sweet crystal malts, mellow hops. The English malts and American hops work in brilliant balance. This is the most balanced APA I've ever tasted.

Thin and crisp. A quencher.

This is the definition of a session pale. Mouthwatering aromas, extremely balanced, and thirst quenching. Very recommended.

kinnaird, Jul 17, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +21.4%

My hook-ups at Sly Fox know of my can passion and have been hooking me up. Keep 'em coming!

My pour produced two fingers' worth of thick, ecru head exploding with CO2 bubbles. The color was a deep amber with good clarity. The nose was grassy, definitely hoppy, and definitely welcome after a long day at work. The mouthfeel was medium to full with a sweet, tea like taste on the tongue. The finish was grassy and lingering. Man, was this good. If only I had a few more cans ...

woodychandler, Mar 14, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

oldsmuggler, Jan 16, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Now THIS is a special beer.
What....beer in a can?
Yep, great CRAFT beer in a can.
Pours a pretty golden orange with a small white head that melts rather quickly to a thin ring of lace.
Aroma is pretty typical pale ale...pale malts with a bit of citrus although I also catch a hint of caramel.
Taste it and everything changes. The citrus hops immediately come to the forefront with the pale malts fighting to catch up. They finally do as you swallow and your tongue is treated to a wonderfully fresh balance between the two.
Mouth is comfortably dry afterwards, however not exceedingly so.
You thirst feels quenched.
If they didn't taste so good, you could probably get by with just one, but damn....
Pop me another, please.
Thanks Blitheringidiot for bringing this one to California to share.

IntriqKen, Mar 20, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

This beer can looks great! Very attractive packaging, I must say. It’s too bad I have to dump it into a pint to see what it looks like. Maybe I can dump it back into the can when I’m done with my review? Do you remember when only Mountain Dew had wide-mouth cans? <Ed takes his Ridalin> Once in the glass, this beer looks like a honey and mandarin orange amber with an uneven tan manila head that falls very quickly to an irregular film.

Smells very leafy like garden vegetables with a earthy dryness. There’s also a sharp pineapple sourness hiding in the background. The malt smells like the browned crust of wheat bread with a dry hint of honey.

The hops are very present in a fantastic spectrum. Every where my taste-buds “look”, there’s hops. Very nice. It starts with a lettuce and celery green leafy flavor blended in with that same bread crust dryness from the smell. It then slowly creeps back along my tongue, transitioning into a more prominent cedar/pine and finishes with an organic woody pine. IF I stop paying attention, a slight metallic taste creeps into the finish, just a bit. Sweetens as it warms.

The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with a big, unobtrusive carbonation, and a very smooth feel, almost like it was made to be slugged out of a can. ; )

This one’s fantastic. Tastes great, easy to drink, good packaging; perfect!

DarkerTheBetter, Aug 04, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +19.3%

Another CAN from woodychandler. Will it prove that CANs are the wave of the future? I CANnot tell yet.

A - Beautiful pour! Beautiful clear red/amber with a finger of head that stuck to the glass all the way down. Impressive!

S - Excellently well balanced smell of malt and hops. Smell is a sweet and slightly fruity malt but right at the end of a deep inhale, the hops sneak in and make me want to take a sip.

T - Very well balanced pale ale. Strong malt backbone that glides down the throat with some caramel and some dried fruit and nuts. Then a moderate kick of pine/citrus hops kicks in and leaves a tingle on the tongue.

M/D - I could easily drink this all day. The mouthfeel is about perfect, not at all thin but nor do I feel like I'm drinking something chokingly thick. Perfect session beer, shame I can't get it locally.

mwa423, Feb 05, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received from Dino in our most recent trade! Poured from can to pint glass the beer arrives a murky ruby mahogany with a nice 2 finger white head, nice retention though not a lot of lacing. A nice crisp fruity nose with citrus, pear, apples and dark fruit character. Unique and nice. Mild caramel malt hint. The flavor is very much the same. The hops provide a nice fruity character as found in the nose with again a nice base caramel. Finishes crisp with a lingering mild bitter fruity sweetness. Lighter end of medium bodied. Overall, this is really enjoyable. Would gladly reach for another if I could!

hopfacebrew, Apr 17, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

Got this as part of a 2 dollar deal at a local bar.

The pour was great slight dark amber color with a head that faded quickly but left some nice thin lacing.

I would drink this again on the price alone but the taste was great! For a 2 dollar beer most wouldnt expect the quality in the product but it was there!

Thick taste bonded with crisp citrus hoppiness that blended into a sweet taste that finished slightly dry.

JustinJTisdale, Jan 21, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

Orange with copper hints, and a huge, sticky off-white head. Foam took several minutes to settle to drinkable levels.

Aroma is slightly grassy, pink grapefruit, maybe even a touch of mint.

This is one tasty pale. Starts with a biscuity malt taste, just dry enough to be different. Quickly changes gears to a very ruby-red hoppy yet balanced middle, and gives that tangy upper cheek sensation like grapefruit juice does. Solid, british-ale mouthfeel with fine carbonation demands another sip. The moderately low sugar level works amazingly well in this brew.

Next time I'm camping at a bottle-free site, I'll be stocking up on this. And in fact, I'll probably buy more to drink at home. It's that good.

shirfan, Jun 01, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

This is a great pale ale. Poured from 12 oz. Can into a pint glass

A - cloudy mahogany color, with a meaty head. Small bit of lacing.

S - fruity, a sweet pear nectar scent, also a bit of raisiny plum.

T - as it smells, mild but present in hops. Citrusy. Not boozy or offensive, a plethora a fruits that mildly linger on the pallette.

M - as a pale ale should be. Slightly carbonated, hits a range of areas on the palette.

D - very drinkable, my favorite pale I've tried yet. The hops hang around in your throat for a while, but I would slug numerous amounts of this beer any day.

Brewmeist, Aug 18, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

jjd315, Sep 24, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Make no mistake, I really love this beer. It is without a doubt my "Bud". As in, it is my go to beer when I feel like "just" having a beer. I find this beer scratches all of the itches I usually have for a beer.

A-Clear copper with a fluffy medium light tan head that reduces and leaves significant lacing.

S-Sharp, crisp hops with a nice malt sweetness.

T-Up front hopiness with a nice supportive malty sweetness...but not too much. I love the sharp, crisp flavour. Plenty of hops to make even a hophead like me happy.

M-medium-light body with a nice crispness. This is the perfect hot, lazy summer day beer for me.

D-All day...at 5% and that wonderful light, crsip feel I can simply pound....I ALWAYS have a supply of Sly Fox PPA on hand...it is my go to!

Deuane, Mar 05, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +12.1%

Sly Fox Phoenix Pale Ale

"Like it's mythological namesake, this bold American pale ale will be a legend for our times, a great craft beer reincarnated into a can. Brewed with pale and crystal malts, and the finest U.S. grown hops from the Pacific NorthWest. OG 13 Plato, 40 IBUs, 5.1% by Vol."

12 oz. can, which doesn't look fantastic in a 20 oz. imperial pint glass, but there's one to grow on.

Semi-clear, pale bronze/copper hue, slim whitish head, stays as a slim ring.

Nice, hoppy aroma, grapefruit is here, plenty of citrus, a bit of pine, smack of bitterness, with a tickle of sweet. A little apple and cherry lay beneath the bitter citric spank. Very, very loverly.

Taste: Excellent mix of sweet malt, and fruity, bitter hops. Totally tasty. Herbal, grainy, bitter, sweet...etc. High hops, big bitterness, but buttressed by a firm malt backbone, everything good and tidy and in solid supply. Brisk, fruity, refreshing, bitter and sweet. Goes down exceedingly easy.

Top-notch pale ale, would be one I'd reach for with regularity if I were a Pennsylvanian.

feloniousmonk, Jan 23, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

My first Penn State weekend of the year and the new no-glass bottles at tailgate rule meant a change in strategy. Fortunately, the good folks at Sly Fox were there to help.

A: Hazy copper color with a modest head that has decent retention and leaves some lacing.

S: Rich aroma of grapefruit, citrus, and fresh hops.

T: Starts out with a nice thick, malty grapefruit and and citrus flavor. The bitter, hoppy flavor provides a very nice balance.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation.

D: This is an extremely likeable brew, Sly Fox has really pick together a rock solid APA. Thank goodness there are brews of this quality available in cans locally that I can tailgate with at PSU. A classic "go-to" brew that anyone in need of a yummy canned brew can rely on.

jdg204, Sep 21, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Brilliant copper-orange. very clear, little bubbles float to the top. the head is absolutely massive, and it really sticks for minutes. lacing abounds. I'm not sure that there can be another attribute to the appearance that would make it any more appealing.
smell is subdued with notes of pine and minimal citrus flavors. biscuity malts are in the background. taste is sweet up front, then the hops kick in on the finish. smacks the bitter bumps on the tongue in the end. mouthfeel is slightly sticky and coats the tongue well. carbonation is a bit week for the level of bitterness in the end for me. overall, a solid offering that seems to get overlooked.

jpaltan, Jan 30, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Visibly effervescent, pours a clear pale orange amber color with a nice foamy off white head that leaves a good amount of lacing. The smell is a sweet malty orange citrus goodness. Lively effervescence lightens up a medium bodied mouth feel. Full flavored, the sweet orange citrus and creamy texture reminders me of candy easter egg filling with a tangy grassy hop finish. At 5% ABV this one will drinker one after another. Renewing my faith in Sly Fox. Another can for the collection.

jjayjaye, Jan 11, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Shiny copper body, high clarity, topped by a healthy heap of rocky white froth. Some nices pieces of lace stretch down the glass.

Nose is earthy, herbal, even woodsy. Notes of citrus lurking in the background.

Good caramelly start, not too sweet. Pleasant subtle hop shift leading to a tingly aftertaste. Very well balanced.

Good light/medium mouthfeel. Substantial but not heavy.

Very good drinkability - this glass has emptied at an alarming rate.

A fine blend of Englsih and American Pale Ales. If the pils is perfect around the pool at midday, this is nice for a bit later in the afternoon. Craft beer in a can...the movement continues.

RonfromJersey, May 30, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Props to GnomeKing for this beer!

Pours amber with a rocky offwhite 2 fingers deep head.Great lacing & good head retention

S: Slight breadyness & fruittyness. I catch some grapefruitty hops as it warms

T: Breadyness up front then grapefruitty hops. Fruittyness comes through along with more hops. Finishes fruitty & hoppy, very quenching

MF: Medium bodied, moderate carbonation & fair balance

Drinks really easy, apretty nice APA. I could session on this no problem

russpowell, Jan 07, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 12oz CAN into a 20oz imperial pint. Special thanks to woodychandler for this from our recent trade!

BY 05/03/10

A: Pours a clear, coppery-gold. Thin wafer of off-white head disappears almost instantly. No lace left behind.

S: Pretty lively hop aroma consisting of pine, grapefruit, and a tiny hint of tropical fruit. Some bread, nut, and caramel shine through as it warms.

T: Exactly as above. Very nice!

M: Very typical APA mouthfeel. Nice rolling peppery bitterness coupled with smooth and sweet maltiness.

D: A good example of the style and it gains .5 for being out of a CAN. This one was coming up on almost 2 months past the drink by date, and it tasted fresh like it was CANned yesterday. If this were out of a bottle, I'm sure it would've taasted really faded. CANs rock!

GbVDave, Jun 26, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

Big thanks to Deuane for the extra.

A: Pours a bright and slightly hazy orange color. A large beige head forms and leaves rings of sticky lace.
S: A good hop and malt balance. Some citrus and grapefruit aromas. Caramel malt, with a slight graininess.
T: A nice hop grapefruit bitterness that is not overbearing. A good caramel malt that is in good balance with the bop bitterness.
M/D: A medium body, but seems a little watery. Easy and smooth to drink. An easy choice for a session.

This is very enjoyable. Too bad I only have one. This would be in my fridge all the time if it was local to me.

champ103, Oct 21, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

Canned beer? Last time I had beer in a can it was Old Milwaukee and I was in college in 1987. Beer has come a long way.

Sly Fox is good stuff! Pours deep orange with rocky white head.

Smell of Cascade hops and citrus. This is canned beer?

This is good stuff, creamy, with lingering aftertaste,

Good mouthfeel.

This is good stuff. Canned beer is back!

Local brew! I have had the Pikeland Pils and this is awesome!, as well!

peterittenhouse, Oct 29, 2006