TeRYEdactALE - Sly Fox Brewing Company

Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Rye Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: josefnewsong on 02-28-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4 | Reviews: 4
4.3/5  rDev n/a

Well, I've never been a guy who liked rye beers, but I was at the Sly Fox grand opening and thought I'd try this in my flight. Wow was I glad I did.

A: A nice, medium-red amber with about a half finger of head. Left nice lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Slightly spicy, with almost a hint of a Helles Lager sort of smell in there from the malt. Not too much coming from the hops.

T: Wow. Both the malt and rye come through with the hops coming in on top. Three distinct phases on the tongue with a slightly bitter (and pleasant) aftertaste.

M: Was OK, but nothing to write home about.

D: Let's see... I had it as part of a flight, then got a pint, then a growler and went to my friend's house where we drank it all on his porch. I think that's a 5.0 for drinkability.

4.27/5  rDev n/a

TeRYEdactALE has a translucent dark red body and an off-white head that is only about a finger tall and leaves behind no lacing.

The aroma has a good punch of spicy rye with some other malt mixed in with a very earthy hop presence.

TeRYEdactALE has a great malted rye profile. Rye is certainly the strongest flavor in the beer, providing a very spicy, bread-like flavor. A little bit of sweet malt is in there also. Adding a little bit of balance to the big rye bill is a good dose of earthy hops, which complement the rye very nicely. I like the choice of a hop that is more earthy than citric tasting for a rye beer. TeRYEdactALE is a fairly simple beer that is very well done. This is one of the best uses of rye malt that I have come across.

The mouthfeel is a little bit slick on the tongue with a medium body and moderate carbonation.

I will definitely order TeRYEdactALE if I run into it again. It is one of the best Rye beers that I have had, with a good amount of hops that doesn't overpower the malt.

4.01/5  rDev n/a

A: Poured a very vibrant amber hue with a touch of red in there for good measure. Had a finger of white head with quite a bit of lacing.

S: A little bit spicy up front. The rye comes across nicely. Behind that crisp malt. It is hard to get both aromas in a rye pale ale but they did it nicely here.

T: I though this beer had amazing balance. The rye was right up front. A little bit of spice to it. The malt balanced it out nicely. Even a little bit of bitterness in the finish.

M: Just light and creamy.

D: Just what the doctor ordered for a 85 degree day. I even ordered a second and skipped the eisbock on tap. I hope to rectify that tomorow but I really liked this beer.

4.05/5  rDev n/a

A - Pours a clear, dark red with two fingers of off-white head that leaves a little bit of lace but not much
S - Huge rye nose, hops (earthy), with some bready malt in the back
T - Taste is as it smells, the rye dominates but there is definitely a significant hop presence and some sweet bready malt to back it all up. Nice and well-balanced.
M - Medium-bodied, but on the thicker side when compared to other Rye Ales I've had. Smooth feel with a crisp hop-finish.
D - yup :)

I tried a sample of this at the Tap and Mallet two nights ago and went back last night for a pint. Easily one of the best Ryes I've had. Very different from but similar in quality to Sixpoint.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
TeRYEdactALE from Sly Fox Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.