Grog - Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant

good

Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.25% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2002)
4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

served a medium brown beer with modest slightly off-white puffy head.
Smell is mild with some notes of roasted malt and caramel to be found.
Taste also shows roasted malt and caramel. A slight nutty flavor also noted.
Finish is more maltiness with a slight hop presence also beginning to show through.
Very drinkable. Great session beer.

tgbljb, Oct 06, 2006

My Grog was served in a standard pint glass with a robust dark brown body and a nice tan head and good lacing on the glass. The aroma is a bit toasted, chocolately and caramel. The taste is a bit more toasted, pleasing to the tongue. The body is rodust and chocolately. I find the medium body easy to drink and very enjoyable.

ggaughan, Jun 03, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer was on tap at a pub in downtown Philly.

This beer had a very dark color with a medium beige head and light carbonation. This beer was extremely smooth and had a slight caramel and chocolate taste with a light coffee-like finish as others have noted.

Overall I was very pleased with this beer and would certainly recommend it.

speedy3d, May 27, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tasted On-Tap 03/08/06 & 03/09/06 at the Nodding Head brewpub.

Fairly dark brown in color with a low beige head and decent carbonation. Fairly robust in style for an English Brown Ale with lots of caramel and chocolate in both the nose and mouth. Very malty as expected. Medium bodied and easy drinking with a light bitter coffee-like finish.

A great beer to start with ... and even finish with but it leans very close to a Porter in my book.

Per NHB website:
2003 Silver - Chicago RAF
2002 Gold - GABF

RBorsato, May 10, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

I tried this last year on tap and thought it was pretty mediocre, but last night I was at Fergie's, and they had it on cask.

The core flavors are still the same...chocolate maltiness with hints of toffee and plums, and a little bit of smokiness. However, the cask version is infinitely better in terms of mouthfeel, which was already nice, and appearance. The subtleties of the flavor did not read well in the tap version, and it tasted kind of one-dimensional and bland. A lot more complexities sneak out in this version, and I'd recommend it highly.

whartontallboy, Feb 18, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer poured a dark brown that let through a faint burgundy. The head was thick, smooth and tan that left some nice lace. Smells of smooth caramel malt with a little bit of dirty corn and a metallic nip. Tastes like over-ripe fruit and slightly roasted caramel with a smoky dryness to it that brought about some chocolate-like flavors. The mouth feel is medium bodied with a smooth creamy carbonation. This beer’s a little too sweet for my liking, but its smoothness makes up for it and makes it enjoyable to drink.

DarkerTheBetter, Feb 03, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

Oh my. Tasty, tasty, tasty.

Nodding Head's beer list refers to this beer as "Goblin Grog" and describes it as such: "A bigger, badder version of our immensely popular english style brown ale. Dark and malty and scarily drinkable."

I say: this has to be one of the best brown ales I've ever had. Browns dont usually seem to be noted for their depth, but this is outstanding. Smooth, rich, creamy. The taste was truly exceptional. Beautiful, guinness-style cream head on this one. Tons of lacing on the pint glass. Malty nose. Fills your mouth up and drives your taste buds wild. I wish I didnt have to drive that night, and I wish I wasnt so full from the great dinner, and I wish I didnt have a low tolerance, because I would have gotten a second one of these in a minute. Oh, and I wish they bottled and sold this beer for take-out.

chOAKbarrell, Oct 26, 2005
3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

Grog! That sounds like something they would have brewed in the Middle Ages. I just had to try it in our beer sampler. It smelled pretty good. The malt had some interesting characteristics. But it just didn't pack the wallop I was looking for in a brown ale. Maybe that's intentional. It tasted a bit watered-down, and not much hops for my taste. It was OK and worth the sampling. I'm not sure I would order a pint. Tasted like something Ben Franklin may have served to his buddies.

ChappyCubsFan, Aug 07, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

Grog was served far colder than any of the other brews I sample at Nodding Head -- and with the Philly heat, I liked this very much.

Grog has a stout feel and taste, with a toasty oats backbone and a sweet lacto feel. Notes of caramel. Dry finish. Darkest brown body and a fat tan haze. A mild, creamy black beer, good, but watery, with few memorable characteristics. I wished I'd had another pint of Berliner Weiss instead.

donnebaby, Jun 30, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +7%

Very good, very drinkable session ale. I seem to have enjoyed it far better than people in 2003 and 2004. So perhaps they have tinkered with it. Rich malt with some bitterness. Dark brown and lace. I could stay with this all night if need be. Great followup 2nd after the bitter hop juice IPA.

Sammy, May 13, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -26.8%

Had this one at the Michael Jackson tasting at Penn in Philadelphia. Pours a dark brown almost black color. Smells like a sweet roasted soy sauce. Taste is too roasted and coffee like for a brown ale. Probably over-used the roasted barley in this. Has a solid malt backbone and the sweetness definitely takes prescedence over any hop component. Overall I'd say this is average in my book and could be improved if the roasted malts were cut back a bit.

cracker, Mar 13, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Served as a sample at the 2004 Penn Festival. The color was dark brown, with a wispy head. The smell was a good roastiness. The taste was a very strong stout-like roasted malt character, with a bit of the brownish dry malt in the background, with some good hoppiness. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, this was another one that I could have several of.

Another quite tasty, almost porter-like brown ale. I'm not big on the brown ale style, but if they were all this good then I would be! Solid, and absolutely one I'd have again.

beergeek279, Jun 16, 2004
3.38/5  rDev -8.4%

A dark ruby color with a nice head makes for a good appearance. The aroma is light, but the flavor is almost smoky with a little coffee and a bit of light chocolate. A lightly bubbly mouthfeel makes this a nicely drinkable brown with a bit of flavor.

aracauna, Jun 07, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

The beer pours a dark brown color with a creamy tan head. The aroma is good. It has a nice malty caramel scent with little hops. The taste is great. It has good malt complexity and caramel flavor; very nice. The mouthfeel is good. It is a med./full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This beer drinks well. It is a fine brown ale. It has great taste and mouthfeel.

WesWes, Mar 31, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Dark brown in color and had a thin head. Some very light lacing developed through the drink. The aroma was bland, as only some malt was picked up by the nose. The flavor is of thin roasted maltiness, caramel, minor chocolate tones, and some mellow nuttiness.

The mouthfeel was a little thin for this medium bodied beer, and the carbonation was on the light side. Mild caramel tones seem to last well into the aftertaste. Nice drinkability.

Gavage, Feb 16, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +20.6%

A deep brown color, like dark chocolate, this beer tends to a decent thin bubble head, occassional lace, and often lots of tight, lattice stain.

Smells of simple dark malt sweetness, deep caramel, and a bbq roastiness. Opens to hints of cocoa powder of an almost chocolatey sweet malt. Taste is sweet and roasty, with a simple and straightforward, middle-of-the-road sweet and roast flavor. Turns over to burly dark malt with cococa powder notes sprinkling toward the end. Also has some of the seeming-sour flavor of Coca-Cola in the finish. Altogether, something you can settle into easily. A bit bubbly mouthfeel but surprising not that filling.

Great balance, exceedingly drinkabe, one of the most flavorful session ales available to me. While the reviews here are varying, this is a Philadelphia classic based on the sweeter English style of brown ale. It wins GABF medals not by accident - an impressive beeer from a tiny bar and brewing set-up. I have one every time I stop in, which is at least once a month.

nomad, Dec 16, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

A very dark beer for a brown ale, almost opaque in appearance, but very appealing to the sense of sight. Inviting and intriguing from an optical standpoint, the rest of the journey through this beer adventure doesn't exaclty measure up to the auspicious start, though it doesn't fail to satisfy completely. The smell was good but there was a certain lack of strength in the olfactory area, though perhaps my sense of smell was adveresly affected by the cigarette smoke from the person next to me (yuck!). Anyway, it was fair, what little smell I was actually able to injest. The taste was very above average yet not even near exceptional. The dark malts predominate and there is little hop flavor, yet it is still not a typical brown ale. A pretty good mouthfeel and a good drinkability, I recommend this beer.

porter17, May 26, 2003

When I had this on tap at Nodding Head this weekend, the blackboard at-top the bar said this was a brown ale (hope to clear up some confusion).

Poored with little head, but I was not exspecting much of one. Malty nose. Tasted like an embellished Newcastle, strong malts with a nutty, semi-sweet finish. Very smooth brew. A flavorful, yet easy drinking beer. Much better than the other Nodding Head fair that I sipped (my friends pints). Probably the beer to get if you can only try one down a Nodding Head. Solid brown ale.

EmoBeerGuy, Mar 25, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

A very good mild brown ale. Poured a murky and chocolatey brown color. The hop bitterness is low and the there is a semi-sweetness to this beer. Reminded me of some of the local brown ales that I tasted in England years ago. A very drinkable and down to earth ale.

pezoids, Mar 01, 2003