Gratitude - East End Brewing Company

GratitudeGratitude

East End Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

A limited edition Barleywine Style Ale, brewed in November in the American tradition and hand packaged to specially commemorate the anniversary of the brewery each year.

Gratitude Wax Colors:

2005-Red Wax
2006-Orange Wax
2007-Yellow Wax
2008-Green Wax
2009-Blue Wax
2010-Indigo Wax
2011-no wax, blank cap (Flatitude)
2012-no wax, "12" on cap (Flatitude)
2013-Violet Wax

(Beer added by: beergeek279 on 12-23-2005)

nlmartin, Apr 06, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -45.3%

Light hazy orange color. Really thick - you can tell by just looking at it and seeing how slowly the bubbles rise. Tiny head. Beautiful bottle! They must have used too much of the wrong kind of wax on the cap - it was really difficult to get it off.
Smells like English barleywine - sweet prunes and alcohol. Tastes kind of like English barleywine only WHOA that aftertaste is just wrong. Spicy bubblegum. It's like they used T-58 to brew this. Bleh. No hops detected. Wet cardboard in there, too. Whoa.
Too thick, sweet, undercarbonated.

Suggestions if trying to make it American: mash a degree or two lower, use a different yeast, add a little color, pay more attention to splashing after fermentation, balance the sweetness with a lot of bitterness.
If trying to make it English: use a different yeast, pay more attention to splashing, add in small amounts of other grains to increase the complexity.

But, hey, the bottle, man, beautiful!

Edit: 2006 edition sampled end 2008. Who would have imagined that barleywines weren't meant to be aged?

charlesw, Dec 28, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -41.9%

groetman, Jan 29, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -40.7%

Burgundy colored beer with a super thick, densely creamy head that lasts really well. Some nice elements in the nose (a touch of smoke, apple, grapefruit,) but it's mostly very unpleasant, shows a lot of oxidation, dullness and even a light manure note. Flavor is very dull and oxidized, with cardboard notes and a light note of manure. Has a pleasant caramel-like sweetness with some fruit notes. Not crazy about aged American barley wines as I think they tend to oxidize too quickly and this is another example that validates my opinion. Not enjoyable, basically a drainpour.

Crosling, Nov 18, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -36%

Zbeetleman, Jul 07, 2013

Seaba, Feb 26, 2013

aasher, Jan 29, 2013

joegard, Jul 04, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -29.5%

Bottle at PPRBSG09. What a pretty bottle!! Pours a murky light brown with a tan head. Aroma of lots of sweet caramel malt. Flavor of sweet, sticky malt and butterscotch. Too heavy and sticky for me, ugh. Unfortunately, looks are deceiving in this case...

LilBeerDoctor, Jul 11, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -25.6%

At the Brazenhead 20th ann cask fest..

A- Pours a nearly flat looking garnet mahogany brown. There is a ring of large bubbles that are popping and quickly disappearing. Looks unimpressive at best. let's hope for more on the rest.

S- man this is not going well, I get a light touch of madera, cherry sweetness. but that is me swirling and getting my nose 2mm from the beer and inhaling long and steady...i mean I am really trying here.

T- OK we got something here, some rich sherry & faint cherry, caramel sweetness, with a close tannic bitterness bite....with a lingering chewy sweetness.

M- I am afraid that this cask has been tapped for a while, as there is 0 carb going on. Otherwise a medium-full bodied beer with some lingering chewiness.

D- I feel as this is a poor example of this beer as I had the opportunity to have a battle of this brew w/ DoggNate back in the day...the only reason I remember is the paperwrapped bottle... luckily I remember enjoying it much more then...despite my harsh ratings...this is a good beer... just not here & today.

m1ked, Feb 07, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

Kayaker, Feb 09, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

I had this on-tap at Capone's during the Black Friday event. Poured into a snifter. This was the 2009 vintage.

Appearance: Pours a murky reddish brown with no head.

Smell: Very sweet with some caramel and dark fruit notes. There is a mild unpleasant smell that reminds me of sweat.

Taste: Very sweet with lots of caramel flavor and some dark fruit. There is some warm alcohol, but it is quite smooth. The sweat from the smell doesn't show up at all.

Mouthfeel: The body is quite thick. There is no carbonation and the finish is a bit chalky.

Overall: I was pretty underwhelmed by this one. It is a good beer, but It didn't live up to the hype for me. The smell was a bit weird.

oline73, Nov 26, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

2009 blue wax vintage

Poured this into my snifter

The appearance was that of an amber color with a tan one and a half inch head. Great head retention that leaves a small island in the middle and scattered lacing.

Aroma consist of all malts here with the likes of caramel, brown sugar, toffee, cedar, plums, dates, oak, vanilla, cherries, raisins and baked brown bread.

The taste starts off with a slightly tart acidic sweet taste with the likes of candi sugar and caramel. Following is a dark fruit taste with cherries, dates and plums and finishes with toffee and a dose of hop bitterness.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Sweet aftertaste lingers in your mouth for quite a while.

Overall I thought this beer was a little too much on the tart sweet side and I have tasted better barleywines.

tr4nc3d, Jul 11, 2010

Luk13, Jan 20, 2013

oregone, Jan 22, 2013

gpawned, Aug 22, 2012

pmarlowe, Feb 03, 2012

thegerm87, Nov 16, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

First off, badass packaging. Unique and interesting, this beer looks well loved.
Looks like a burnt toffee orange, almost red. Bubbles peppered around with good lacing, not much head.

Orange, subdued hops. Not too strong.

Grapefruity hops, hints of caramel.

Light and crisp mouthfeel. 11.5 is a surprise. Sticky finish

Good barleywine. Nothing outstanding, i'll age one and see what happens.

ptykozoon, May 10, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks goes out to JackTheBear for sharing this one during the One Year Anniversary of My Wreck Tasting! 2010 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Crooked Stave ‘Crooked Line’ tulip. Poured a hazy red-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, caramel hop, and earth. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, caramel hop, earth, and wood. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. Nothing with the exception of the aroma really stood out to me on this one. While the aroma wasn’t really complex at all it was still fairly well balanced and inviting. I just wish the flavor would have followed suit much closer. The flavor wasn’t bad by any means, but it definitely wasn’t one of the best from the style that I’ve had. Worth trying if you get the chance, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to do so.

thagr81us, Nov 21, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Reviewing Gratitude from East End Brewing Company out of Pennsylvania.
Score: 86

Blue wax (2009) vintage bottle served in a snifter and enjoyed on 08/13/12.

Appearance: Pours a murky dark brown, slightly orange color. The center is mostly brown and the outer edges are an orange caramel color. I cannot see through the beer, but I can see the shadow of my hand on the other side of the glass. There is a thin layer tan of head off the pour. Below average, oily lacing with decent retention. Nothing pretty, but nothing ugly. 3.5/5

Smell: Fruity caramel, oak, vanilla, raisin bread, and sweet malt. No booziness whatsoever. Very nice. 4/5

Taste: The taste is almost entirely dominated by a fruity malt flavor with a sweet caramel backbone. Super malty with a little bit of vanilla on the midpalate that disappears by the finish. There is a little brown sugar flavor too. The maltiness is kind of "musty," and the fruitiness is very prominent throughout. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, low carbonation. Olive oil-like mouthfeel and very malty. 3.5/5

Overall: I remember this being better when I drank an indigo wax (2010) version at Dark Lord Day this year, so maybe, being an American barleywine, the 2009 blue wax vintage is
at an awkward phase in its life where hops are entirely gone but the beer's barleywine qualities have not yet matured into their complexities. From my experiences with Behemoth, I am guessing this beer is better fresh (or, more accurately, that I would enjoy it better fresh). The 2009 version I drank was not worth $25.

Recommendation: Hop heads should seek out younger vintages, while barleywine nuts should seek out older ones or keep aging their blue wax 2009 vintage bottles.

Pairings: Raisin bread.

Cost: $25 for a 750 ml bottle.

jegross2, Sep 04, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Bottle. From the most recent batch and sampled blindly along with 7 other barley wines. Poured into a sample glass a slighlty murky amber orange color with zero head, and by zero head I mean this thing was flat as a pancake. The nose is unlike any of the others we had in this sampling as it had more pronounced raisan, dark fruit, and banana characteristics in the aroma than any other. Some spice as well. At first I didn't know what to think as flavors of dark fruit, banana, spice, and slightly warming booze hit my palate. After a while, I find myself rather enjoying this and wonder how much better it would be if it had some carbonation. Medium mouthfeel. Some lingering bitterness and finishes a little dry.

This is one I will have to re-visit again though and give another chance to see if our bottle was just under carbed.

kbutler1, Feb 07, 2011

2008 bottle.

Pours a turbid brown color with a few bubbles that could hardly be considered a head.

Scent of strong caramel, faint grassy hops, sweet fruit, and a hint of chocolate. Smells more like an English Barleywine than an American one, but it is still pleasant.

Taste of caramel, faint, but sharp hops, a hint of dry oak and some alcohol in the finish. I was expecting much more from this, which is probably why I find this a bit disappointing.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and oily with a small bite of carbonation.

paco1029384756, Nov 22, 2009

Orange Wax

A- Caramel amber color with a thin layer of head. Nice lacing that clung like spider webs all over the glass.

S- Lots of complexity going on, caramel maltyness, toffee, molasses and dark fruits such as dates and figs.

T- I was a bit let down by this. It was good don't get me wrong, but I think I over hyped it for myself. There was nice honey flavor, combined with a brown sugar and molasses flavor. But it was a bit too sweet for me. I also felt that it was trying to be a hoppy barleywine but at the same time was trying to be an english styled barleywine and couldn't make up its mind.

M- Good mouthfeel, solid for the style with light carbination that helps the beer along.

D- Was fairly easy to drink, but the sweetness was too much for my tastes.

Wetpaperbag, Jun 12, 2010

Thanks Shuggy!

Pours a ruddy, kind of unfiltered looking brown. Small tan head that quickly vanishes.

Smells ... sweet. There's some brown sugar, some candied fruits, maybe some dates ... and caramel with sugar.

The flavor is uber-sweet. Whoa. This is an American Barleywine? Very little hop content, and what there is, is more on the sweet citrus side than anything else. Brown sugar, candied fruits, just plain ol' dark fruits, almost a sort of oxidized (should a beer this young be oxidized?) rum, sugarized caramel, a hint of pancake batter with syrup ... it is sugary.

Syrupy mouthfeel.

Not too sure what I thought of it, actually. It is so sweet and complexit almost makes me think of a Belgian quad moreso than a barleywine, though maybe it's just the lingering effects of the sugar talking. Took a good few hours of zombie killing in Left 4 Dead to work through the bottle. The oxidation and hints of wet cardboard were a bit offputting.

Overlord, Aug 19, 2009