Gratitude - East End Brewing Company

East End Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: beergeek279 on 12-23-2005

A limited edition Barleywine Style Ale, brewed in November in the American tradition and hand packaged to specially commemorate the anniversary of the brewery each year.

Gratitude Wax Colors:

2005-Red Wax
2006-Orange Wax
2007-Yellow Wax
2008-Green Wax
2009-Blue Wax
2010-Indigo Wax
2011-no wax, blank cap (Flatitude)
2012-no wax, "12" on cap (Flatitude)
2013-Violet Wax
2014 - red wax, label made to look like paper
4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks, Alex. 2005 (red wax) vintage into Darkness snifter.

A - Pours a rusty orange/brown color, off-white head, thin collar.

S - Smooth booze, little to no oxidation for such an old beer, burnt sugars, caramel. Really just smoothed out and sweet...this has held up well, I'm surprised.

T - Similar to the nose. Burnt sugars, smooth booze, some oak, caramel. The sweetness and booze play well off of each other, and it's hard to tell how old this beer really is.

M - Medium, good carbonation, smooth, rich, creamy finish.

O - Really impressed for how old this one is. It was a nice surprise to try the 2005, as it was the only vintage I haven't had. I would think the 2006/2007 would be drinking phenomenally right now and would like to try them to compare. A very nice barleywine.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: ruby brown pour with a smallish head an a touch of lacing

Smell: brown sugar, toffee, sherry, port, bread and honey. Touch of booze

Taste: Similar to the aroma - toffee, brown sugar, sherry, port, dates, prunes, bread.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin and sticky, fairly drinkable

Overall: This is a review of the yellow was bottle. I was expecting great things but, having had a goose island king henry recently, I was a bit disappointed.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle generously provided by soulforpeanuts in the last White Whale BIF. Shared with my bros on New Year's Eve. '05 Vintage, bottle #571/600.

A - A finger of lightly tanned foam settles to a thin partial cap, solid collar, and minimal lacing. Lightly hazed ruby brown body.

S - Red fruits, twizzlers, burnt sugar, toffee, treacle, light sherry-esque oxidation, some toasted grains and bread. As it warms up it develops a honey cake note as well. Pretty mellow for 11.5%. I'm also surprised by how well this has held up.

T - The taste has a little bit less depth to it than the aroma. Heavy doses of toffee, burnt sugars, Sultana raisins, and a bit of light hop bitterness that's a unexpected surprise. Really smooth stuff, with a liquid caramel vibe to it, but a slightly hollow mid-palate due to the extended aging. Still, I doubt I would have guessed this was over 6 years old.

M - Smooth and silky medium-full body, lower carbonation, lightly sticky and juicy texture, and negligible alcohol presence. Goes down super easy.

D - This was a lot better than the '06 I had in late 2010, and was a lot mellower alcohol-wise than the '06-'09 vertical we tried at hoppymeal's around the same time. I actually liked the fresh ones better then and was curious if the '05 would buck the trend. It does to some extent, but I can't see these beers aging as gracefully as something like J.W. Lees does, so I'd recommend drinking up once the 2011 gets released.

I'll likely fill out this review with my notes on '06-'09 when I figure out where I put them.

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%

Got this a while back in a trade. 2009 edition, blue wax. 750ml. Been waiting to try this one for a long time. I love me some barleywine:

A: A murky deep copper color with a small 1 inch tan head that fades at a quick pace to a small lace atop the brew. Good.

S: Holy smells! I get a strong caramel / toffee scent upfront quickly overpowered by some sweet malt. Some wood comes through in the middle with a mild bready sweetness hidden in the back. This is a barleywine. Perfect!

T: I get a sweet toffee that ramps up from a subtle hint to a mouthful of flavor. Some nice oak shows it's head in the middle quickly subdued by an sweet apple type taste. Some caramel stickiness fills your palate on the backend. A nice balance to this brew. Not a hint of the 11.5% ABV. Very good.

M: Medium body with a nice carbonation. Has a sweet creamy finish. Very good.

O: All in all, bravo! This is a balanced barleywine that hides the high ABV very well. If you like a good strong sweet brew, then this is for you. I highly recommend and will be hunting down more bottles for myself!

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

989th Review on BA
Bottle to snifter
2007 Yellow wax

Thanks to Smokepot23 for sharing

*Shared by those in attendance at MrHirschybars*

App- A bit darker than BA Ruffian. It was amber/brown and only had a one finger of fast falling khaki to a single ring of cling.

Smell- There are so many things that are in here I am a bit confused by all of them. Things I am picking up are hop oil, pine, toffee, caramel, vanilla. A bit full on the nose with sweetness as well.

Taste- This is what I always thought of a Aged BW would taste like. Its rich, smooth, creamy and lush but paired against a even at its age a nice slightly honey like hop note.

Mouth- Quite lively and smooth at the time. I really enjoyed this beer a lot. It was a medium body with a creaminess to it and a good bit of a low/medium carbonation.

Drink- Joe, you are a stud for this one!!I probably won't trade for this one seeing as I dont have the ammo, but for one night I had some of this bad boy.

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

A big thanks to Nikki (sirotan) and Carly for busting this out last weekend. Cheers! 2010 Indigo Wax vintage.

Appearance – Pours a still murky brown color reminiscent of unfiltered apple cider you can buy in the fall. Zero head to speak of – just a bit of small bubbles come up. The beer appears to be flat...

Smell – The aroma is actually similar to cider as well. Apples, caramel and toffee, vanilla, and a musty earthy aroma.

Taste – Spot on to the aroma. Citrus consisting of orange and apple, lots of melted caramel flavors. The vanilla and barnyard must finish up the sip. Not much else here...

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, creamy, very low carbonation.

Overall – Not what I was expecting to be blunt. An interesting barleywine with no alcohol heat or flavors to speak of. Oddly I wanted to warm it up a bit like cider, haha. Wish it had some more carbonation. Have another 2010 in the cellar I’ll sit on for a few years to see how it changes.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

2010 vintage from a bottle bought at the release earlier this year. Ben in my cellar ever since. Held up well despite the bottle being in less than ideal conditions.

Looks better than it ever did before. Nice big head that sticks around for most of the drink.
Almost a dark redding brown Color.

Smells at first of fruits. Then comes the toasty bread notes and wonderful caramel aroma.

Taste is much of the same as the smell. A little booze creeps in but still rather balanced considering the abv.

Smooth mouthfeel with nice carbonation.

Overall this has aged wonderfully. Can't wait for this years release early next year. Getting a lot more of it this time for sure. It's miles better than it was at release and I thought it was pretty damn good then.

4.11/5  rDev -4%

On draft at Capones in Norristown, PA. Review from notes.

Poured into a miniature snifter. Pours a burnt umber with minimal eggshell/tan head that quickly dissipated.

The nose is pretty subdued on this brew. I allowed it to warm up and yet still not a whole lot going on. Some caramel, vanilla and bourbon. Smells very sweet.

The taste is really nicely balanced with the toffee and caramels notes dancing around the bourbon flavors. Really enjoyable and not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is very sticky and thick; just what I'd want out of this beer. Nice.

Overall, I was happy to be able to try this one. It didn't quite live up to the expectations I had built up in my head but still, a very nice beer. Recommended.

4.64/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 Indigo waxed 750ml. A+ for packaging. Guest reviewer daysinthewake!

Deep and murky, umber body. Very short tan head that bubbles out immediately. Small traces are left on the side of the glass.

Apples and pears, with a brandy essence. Caramel and honey and bready malts. Some port qualities as well. Great nose.

Vinous is taste, like a rich, well aged port. Flavors of port raisins, apples and toffee. Dates and a boozy finish. Very light hopping. Slightly thick and rich. Hides the alcohol well.

Wow, this is one of the best barleywines I've ever had. It has aged perfectly, and has a very complex and satisfying taste. Excellent.

3.23/5  rDev -24.5%

I had this on-tap at Capone's during the Black Friday event. Poured into a snifter. This was the 2009 vintage.

Appearance: Pours a murky reddish brown with no head.

Smell: Very sweet with some caramel and dark fruit notes. There is a mild unpleasant smell that reminds me of sweat.

Taste: Very sweet with lots of caramel flavor and some dark fruit. There is some warm alcohol, but it is quite smooth. The sweat from the smell doesn't show up at all.

Mouthfeel: The body is quite thick. There is no carbonation and the finish is a bit chalky.

Overall: I was pretty underwhelmed by this one. It is a good beer, but It didn't live up to the hype for me. The smell was a bit weird.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

This poured out as a deep orange color. The head was minimal intact it was just a thin white film on top of the beer. I believe the vintage was 2009 on this. The smell of the beer was sweet, good amount of hops on the nose and some boozy aromas too. The taste of the beer is sweet with some fruity notes and more booze. The mouthfeel was smooth. Overall this beer was really quite nice.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Had on tap in a 9 oz snifter at Capone's Black Friday event. Pours a brilliant ruby bronze color with no head. Nose is rich with vanilla and bourbon notes. The taste is also rife with alcohol, bourbon, vanilla, and grapes. The mouthfeel is thin and smooth. Very alcoholic, but outstanding. I love this stuff.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Tried several vintages over the years and I have to say hands down my favorite Barleywine!
Appearance is golden amber exactly what you want to see with this style. Slight cloudiness.
Smell is different from vintage to vintage with the fresher ones (within 2 years) being hoppy notes, biscuit, and sweetness. The older ones (3+) muted hops and more vanilla and caramel.
Taste, as stated above fresher a bit more hoppy, long roller coaster ride of flavors cascading from hops to malty goodness. Older ones have a deep interpretation of English Style.
Mouth feel is thick and chewy. Not like The Perfect Storm or a Thomas Hardy, but just enough to be the backbone of all the flavor profiles.
Overall the most consistent barleywine out there. They year after year put out a quality Annv. beer that shows their "Gratitude" and what a beer they produce. I believe with 3 years in the cellar it matures wonderfully. I have yet to have any of their vintages that taste like its "gone down hill". Plus its one of the prettiest bottles ever made. Must seek out! The only other BW that beats this is Wooden Hell.

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%

'08 bottle into a tulip. Major gratitude (get it?) is due to Tony for sharing this, a long-time want of mine. Thanks!

A: Murky reddish-brown body with a film of tan bubbles. Nice legs. Standard Barleywine appearance, although earlier pours might have fared better.

S: Rich, deep, and sweet. Brown sugar, toffee, rum-soaked raisins, and lovely sherry. Terrific.

T: Vanilla, toffee, brown sugar, raisins, tobacco, leather, deep maltiness and just pure deliciousness. So, so smooth. Velvet in liquid form.

M: Still, slick, and a little sticky. Ok.

O: I've been wanting to try this one for a long time now, and it absolutely surpassed even my most wishful expectations. I've never had a smoother Barleywine in my life; I still can't believe how free of alcohol flavor this one was, nor how well-integrated all of its complex components were. Superb.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

2007 (Yellow Wax) - bottle 713/1500. Sampled October 31, 2011.

Gratitude might just as well be called 'Determination' because that's what's required to actually get that cap open. That crown is sufficiently insulated to withstand a category five hurricane. Buried under all that yellow wax is a smoky rosewood coloured beer. Maintaining a big foamy head is for 11.5% beer what running a half-marathon is for a linebacker. But East End shows us it's not impossible.

The abundance of sticky, gooey hop resins in this bouquet have me preemptively licking my lips already. The beer is ripe with a Madeira-like complexity and some of the ripe fruity sweetness too. It has hints of smoke and peat and enough maltiness that you could wrap yourself in it to stay warm on a cold fall evening.

I'd be happy to just smell the beer all night - it has an incredible sensual, calming effect - but tasting it provides an equally special sensation. Gratitude may be the most seamless of barleywines, by which I mean it has a rich, succulent flavour that is more than the mere sum of its parts. It is difficult to name specific flavours.

...but if I had to, I'd say it resembles dried fruits coated in tree resin. Or maybe a chocolate ganache that was infused with port wine. Or caramel coated figs. The hops still provide such pineapple and pine features that I can only imagine how blaring they must have been four years ago. Same goes for the malt, which remains impressively gooey and thick.

Despite their strength, some barleywines age no better than Nick Nolte has. But this bottle of Gratitude has held up better than the pyramids at Giza. It is still strong yet soft, without any oxidation (no surprise there) and both hops and malts are still in yoga instructor-like shape. If I had a fantasy beer cellar league, Gratitude would be my first round pick.

I don't think East End Brewing could offer a more suitable beer to show their gratitude for their loyal customers. Every bit the effort and attention to detail that was put into the presentation was clearly also put into the beer. This is, for my money, one of the most bewitching barleywines out there and is a must-buy no matter the cost.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle #1050 from 2010, poured into a Duvel tulip. I believe this bottle came courtesy of GabrielM. Reviewed from notes

Pours a really deep maroon with beautiful clarity. A very frothy, two-finger head with super tight bubbles and great retention leaves gorgeous, spotty lacing around the glass. Even a slight swirl of my tulip left cascading waves of lace all around. This is a stunner.

A huge, deep, complex aroma. A heavy dose of dark fruit, namely plums. There is a lot of vanilla in the mix, moreso than any other barleywine I've had before.The hops are definitely still present, and there is a fairly robust citrus component as well as some pine. Not even a hint of alcohol in the nose, which is impressive and really adds to the balance of the aroma.

The taste is, at first, rich with dark fruits. It's a sticky sort of sweetness, redolent of juicy apricots and plums. Lots of sweet toffee in the finish, with some caramel and butterscotch. As the aroma suggests, there is still a slight hop bite left in this beer, with a lingering residual bitterness. There's also a sort of old leather-esque element that mostly just detracts from the other enticing components of the taste.

Sadly, the mouthfeel does not befit the overall quality of this beer. Gorgeous, billowing head aside, this is undercarbonated and feels almost dead. The body is still full and rich, but added carbonation would really help the flavors open up.

Though the mouthfeel is a disappointment, this is still a really excellent barleywine. I'd actually love to try an older bottle, as I'd imagine this would only get better as the hops mellow out more. That said, the 2010 vintage is drinking quite well right now.

4.02/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to that bad ass motherfucker Beerness for this tasty little morsal definitely worth the wait and glad I could share it with some good friends. Bottle #1410/1500 Version 2010

Look: Caramel in color with almost no head and obviously no retention

Smell: At first the smell really reminded me of caramel apples very nice and just a touch of toffee on the backend

Taste: As to be expected the beer is quite malty and carries large notes of toffee and caramel not much else

Mouthfeel: Full body with no carbonation and a bit silky

Overall: Not the best barleywine I have ever had but it is damn good. This is my first time trying the beer so not sure if the no carbonation is standard with this one but that definitely played a part in the lower score

3.89/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottle (2010)

(Aged for 1 year)

Thanks for sharing, DarthKostrizer!

Copper and glowing dark orange with very little visible carbonation and very little, if any, head--surprising. Leaves the glass nearly clean and a bit oily.

Lovely aroma consisting of subtle citrus, sweet caramel and toffee, and a bit of earthy, rich vanilla. While what's here is extremely nice, I'm surprised at how far away the aroma seems. I wish everything in here was more magnified and more "in your face." Though, there isn't a hint of alcohol heat, which is incredible.

The taste follows the aroma: sweet citrus, sticky caramel and toffee, and a bit of earthy vanilla. Delicious, though uncomplicated--simple. No alcohol heat--impressive.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with very low carbonation.

I feel like this barleywine quite didn't reach it's potential. Perhaps with better carbonation, the flavors could have shined more.

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for this bottleshare. 2010 bottle number 1410of1500
Deep caramel color. Surprisingly no carbonation/head. For a year old beer that's odd. Poorly conditioned?

Smells is fantastic. Rich sweet caramel.  Touch of orange zest. Candy. Screams orange caramel candy. Love this.

Flavor is very nice and pleasant but not as spectacular as anticipated. Nice caramel apple like flavor along other rich fruit, but not the deep and dark fruit like most barleywines. Nice sweetness but not too rich and sweet.

Smooth creamy viscous. Very low carbonation, But really nice for this beer.

Overall it's a real nice beer but not what I was expecting. I was expecting a little more depth in character for the limited 1500 bottle release. Also, Top 3 coolest bottles ever produced.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

2010 Vintage (thanks Mages64).

Pour: Hazy, dark orange/amber, cloudy, and with an initially bubbly, carbonated tanned head which turns into a loose film around the glass' edge.

Nose: Marmalade, caramel, muted citrusy hops, figs, toffee and slight sherry like oxidation.

Taste: Figs, rich sherry, slight cardboard oxidation, toffee, muted citrus hops, rich caramel malt, slight alcohol and slight hints of orange marmalade.

Mouthfeel: Slightly oily, moderately carbonated, and lightly velvet like.

Overall: Great barleywine. I'd love to compare to a fresh one but this is fantastic. Great lacing, great taste and nose. Overall a fantastic brew.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Sampled at a private tasting.

*2009 Blue Wax Vintage*

A - Nice creamy head sitting atop a good clear burnt orange hue.

S - Nose somewhat faded, little carmel malts, little vanilla, also some light spice.

T - Nice dark fruits and more of those sweeter carmel malts. Some slight bready malts, not getting much hops.

M - Nice and creamy, the big ABV is hidden nicely!

O - Overall this was a pretty good beer. I just think it lost a little with this year. Perhaps this is when its in its delicious transition phase.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

750ml bottle split last week. 2009 vintage via Davolebomb (Stanley Cup BIF)

A: After some discussion, landed on the color of this being burnt sienna. Pour left a 1 finger cream head that slowly receded. Good lacing on the parts of the glass where I drank

S: Lots of breaded malt. Some light spice late. Also some phelonic notes but not bad considering the age already on this. Sublte vanilla and caramel

T: Sweet dark fruit, fig/prune and raisins. As I drink, it becomes more of a citrusy fruit while still maintaining some of the fig flavor. Good balance of bready malt but fruit is the prominent aspect. Some caramel. Brief lingering hop bitterness after each sip. Hint of sweet chocolate in the finish

M: Medium bodied, but very close to full. Carbonation was enough to notice, very appropriate. Overall rather smooth with a very slight dryness

D: This is my first time having this beer, however based on reviews I'd say another year would have been the time to open it. This would give a little more time for the hops to dissappear completely and to get more continuity from the fruit and malt. That being said, glad to finally land this one as it is a very enjoyable barleywine

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Biglite351 for the bottle
2009 Vintage

A-- Poured a thick reddish orange color with a hue to it. At best a half finger of off white head and settled to film through drinking. Lots of spotty lacking through drinking. Minimal carbonation showing. Excellent packaging.

S-- Orange marmalade and fresh strawberry jam. No hop presence in this at all, as the malts have totally taken over on this. Good nose. Sweet and sticky.

T-- Strawberry jam, Carmel, orange marmalade, and a bit of bread. Sweet and sticky taste but not over the top in either area.

M-- Smooth, coating, sticky, and long lasting flavor. Scary how balanced this was and that the 11.2% was very well hidden. Started getting flavors of apricot jam towards the end.

O-- Brilliant! From packaging to the end this rocked. Reminded me a lot of some of the better desert wines available here and the flavor characters. Well hidden ABV, easy to drink and full of thick jammy flavors. Going to have to trade for more of this.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle thanks to mulder1010 for cracking open this 2009, blue-wax bottle. Certainly the best packaged beer i have come across!

Appearance of the liquid itself, lives up to expectations. A creamy head of off-white foam craters on top of a base beer that has a amber-red appearance with some glow to it. Very impressed with this!

Smell is of sweet malt, some strawberry jam and marmalade. Complex, not overbearing, yet distinct, this is quite good at bringing out its key components.

Taste is jammy and has a touch of the marmalade to it. Nice and clean and drinkable even for the size of the beer. Sweet malt comes forth later on as well.

Mouthfeel is quite good, filling, big and a touch creamy as well. Body well suited to the style.

Overall a very good barleywine and one that i'd seek out more often. Thanks to mulder1010 for opening this equivalent of beer porn. Lovely bottle, lovely contents a nice, warming, rich and flavoursome barleywine.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

750ml bottle graciously shared by seeswo during an evening of greats. unfortunately i didn't seem to write down much.

a - caramel brown pour. tan head.

s - fig and caramel. smells like a well aged barleywine.

t - very mellow flavor. slight note of hops remains. brown-sugar sweetness and dark fruits

m - not syrupy at all, but very thick and sweet.

overall - obviously it was quite a treat and a good beer. however, for what i imagine it would require to obtain, I'm not sure i'd go for it again.

Gratitude from East End Brewing Company