Snow Melt Winter Ale - East End Brewing Company

East End Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.00% ABV

SNOW MELT WINTER WARMER DEBUT:
The first day of Winter is December 21st, but we can start melting the frost sooner than that - time for the first East End Winter Warmer - or should I say AMERICAN Winter Warmer. SNOW MELT is a Mahogany-red ale with a unique malt character, and a bright pine-ey hop flavor, unusual for a beer of this style, but seasonally appropriate none the less.Clocking in at 7% and guaranteed to clear the fog from your glasses, this one's debuting at Growler Hours next week (Dec 14th), and you can keep an eye out for it around town shortly after that.

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 11-03-2006)
Reviews by AdamBear:
3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

A-dark brown with a thin cream colored head

S-faint scent of smoky malts and peppercorn. Really faint.

T-comes in with a flavor of hops, black peppercorn, dark malts, and some cocoa? It's an odd mix. After-taste is heavier on a chalky cocoa taste with some peppercorn. It's pretty good.

M-heavy chalky mouthfeel. I like it.

O-really unique winter warmer. I like it. I can always expect something good from East End. I really wish I had more access to their beers. This has a great mouthfeel to it, and the flavor profile seems to shift with every sip I take.

AdamBear, Dec 27, 2012

reitzbrewing, Dec 01, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

Served from a growler brought to me by the WVbeergeek,poured into my Samuel Smith nonic glass.

Mirky,reddish-browm color,head was off-white towards tan,very thick,creamy,dense. Very good retention leaving rings of lace down the sides of the glass.

Good strong aromas of hops and malts nicely blending into a very inviting aroma. Very citrusy and piney with a stout-like malt nose thats carmelly/roasty/chocolaty. A hint of smokiness with a woody,earthy quality. Had a hard time pulling the glass away from my nose long enough to get a taste.

Glad i finally pulled this beer from my nose to finally taste this beer. Delicious, even better than anticipated. Great balance here,lots of citrus and pines tastes,very complex malt character,a burnt carmelly,roasty.chocolate,black coffee taste.Woody,a nice earthness to this beer. A sugary sweetness mid-taste,finishes with a pleasingly clean,sharp hoppy citrus rind bite. Leaves a great citrusy flavor lingering on the palate. Not a spicy winter brew, maybe a hint if any.
One of the best tasting winter beers i've had,

A robust beer,medium body feel light,because of all the great creaminess. Drinkability ? Was going to have a beer or two from the growler ended up drinking the whole growler. How's that for drinkability?
East End Brewing is putting out some great beers,this is another great beer,if you can get some of these beers you should give them a try !!!

Thanks Scott from East End and my best beer buddy WVbeergeek for this great beer.

jcdiflorio, Jan 20, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Awesome winter beer my favorite this season...appears a cloudy ruby amber body with a large caramel tan head leaves even lacing with each sip. Aroma has strong citrus and piney herbal hops upfront with caramel, cocoa, mild coffee malt tones that mesh well with the strong bitterness and mild alcohol notes. Flavors bring out the hop burps in all of us, definitely some light or even absent typical christmas spicing this beer wallops the hop profile with pine bitterness in a good way. Malts are great mainly caramel toffee tones with some mild chocolate and coffee from all of the specialty grains used in this brew. Mouthfeel is definitely medium to fuller bodied even smooth carbonation glides down the palate a hint of oily feeling on the tongue really tickles the palate. Drinkability is great one kick ass Christmas present from Scott Smith and the East End crew. I heard a guy call this homebrew crap they other day I wanted to knock him off his stool. Keep up the large outflow and keep running out of beer Scott it's a good thing.

WVbeergeek, Dec 30, 2006

mrosenfeld32, Feb 07, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Zonian1, Apr 13, 2014
3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Growler from the brewery via pghlee, thanks for picking this one up!

Pours a slightly hazy brown color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of sweet caramel malt with hints of hops and earthy spices.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sweet malts up front, but now hints of roasted malts enter into the equation. Hardly any hop flavors, instead the malts give way to mild amounts of earthy spices.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a very nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I had no problem downing the growler with a few friends around.

Overall this winter warmer is light on the spices, but it still manages to distinguish itself as a winter warmer. A tasty beer.

glid02, Feb 24, 2009

DCHritz, Jan 12, 2014
3.8/5  rDev -5%

The winter season calls for a bold beer, and East End has offered one up in their Snow Melt Winter Ale!

Its clear dark-mahogany body allows little more than a shimmer of ruby through, and its short head of creamy foam is a dark tan in color. It drops shortly, probably due at least in part to its 7% abv, and leaves thin fingers and tiny spots of lace about the glass.

The nose is clean, and offers some piney and gently citrusy hops atop a bed of darkly caramelish, coffee-ish, and cocoa-accented maltiness.

It's medium bodied in the mouth with a moderate carbonation.

Dark chocolate, and piney hops appear in the flavor, becoming more piney and resinous at first, and then cocoa-ish. The fruitiness becomes apparent on subsequent sips. There's some scorched brown sugar in there as well, and the suggestion of black coffee in the background. It's solidly bitter and finishes dry, piney, and almost minty due to the alcohol, with a light dusting of cocoa in the background.

It's strong and full flavored but not particularly rich, and not really complex. Bitter, piney, and warming.... yes!

NeroFiddled, Feb 26, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on cask at the Sharp Edge Creek House.

Pours a dark brown with garnet highlights around the bottom of the glass. Head is tan and naturally big and froathy and left huge lacing. The aroma spicy with some chocolate sweetness and a coffee ground bitterness.

The taste is mellow yet roasty mix of chocolate and molassas sweetness with a combo of burnt coffee and hop bitterness thrown in for good measure. The mouthfeel is surprisingly thin.

Now I've had Snow Melt before but this was the first time on cask and I have to say that this no where lives up to the draft version. Everything from the smell to the taste to the mouthfeel feels muted and repressed. Still decent but I'm sticking with this on draft next time.

Kegatron, Jan 16, 2008

Tibi81, Jan 31, 2013

Saxboy10, Mar 18, 2014

nunzo, Dec 04, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

bum732, Dec 22, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Had on tap recently at ZoSo's Bar in Greensburg. Exceptional beer from East End Brewing. I prefer this more than their Big Hop.

Mahogany in color with little head retention. Smell was malty pleasant with some Hop overtones. Alcohol was well hidden and did not stop me from drinking several of these. I would like to see this brewed year round as I think this is one of East End's better seasonal offerings.

EDIT: Re

Kolsch, Mar 14, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +7%

A 1 L swingtop growler from Al's. It is snowing outside, so a winter warmer seems appropriate.

A: The ale is a dark mahogany brown, full enough to be opaque. A voluminous head, over two fingers on first pour left thick splotches of lace behind. The reddish brown nature of the mahogany lends to the cloudiness.

S: Chocolate, toffee and spices are strong, standing out immediately. Ample hoppiness, citrusy, pairs nicely, creating a Black IPA-like effect.

T: Dark malts, toffee and chocolate along with burnt toast start things off. The rich flavor is met by an equally strong. The pine flavor is rich and bitter, moving the ale towards Black IPA territory. The combination of dark malts and bold hops works, even my wife likes the ale (and ksak is no hophead). The bitterness lasts, as does the well-roasted breadiness. A winter warmer that gets the job done without a heavy spice profile.

M: The mouthfeel is a rousing combination of malts and hops, a warming pair that builds to a crescendo. A great flavor lingers long after each sip is gone.

D: The ale packs more of a punch than beers much stronger than it. A strong flavor, great finish and sharp hoppiness are all I need tonight.

akorsak, Jan 21, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -5%

Pours a dark brown with a light tan head that faded quickly. This one has a very unique smell that I had a hard time pin pointing. A heavy emphasis on the spices, some pine notes, along with some sweet, maybe caramel in there. It had some malt smell, but was also pretty hoppy. The taste was sweet at first and dominated by the spices, then the hops and a strong bitterness came to finish this off. As it warmed it got much hoppier in smell and taste and I thought tasted better. The bitter bite hits harder with it being colder. The mouthfeel was medium body, very bold, a good deal of carbonation coupled with the bitterness was stronger than what I usually look for. This was a good beer, but not something I could palette for more than a few pints. But this is definitely worth checking out, another good beer from East End. Cheers!

wingman14, Jan 08, 2007

vwbus7, Jun 26, 2014

Griggsy, Sep 20, 2013
3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

From a growler filled at the shop in the strip district on 12/22. As I sit on the North Side, poured into a Burgh-appropriate Jerome Bettis Grille shaker glass. Sandy head, about 3/4 inch, settles with good lacing. This beer is dark, but not so dark that you can't tell it's cloudy. Let's call it cinnamon brown with maybe a hint of orange; no red color to speak of.

Aroma is hop-forward, but not in a way that I'd mistake for an IPA. Piney, but there is a little sweetness in there. I don't pick up any winter warmer spices (which I'm not complaining about). The bitterness is carried through in the taste from hops as well as burnt coffee, but here I get some subtle caramel notes too.

Carbonation is high, even from the growler, and while there isn't a lot of spice, there's plenty of zing. It doesn't warm me up, but that doesn't mean I can't drink it all night long. This is a delightfully different take on the style.

coachdonovan, Dec 25, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

I picked up a growler of this while I was in Pittsburgh for work and enjoyed it in my hotel room.

Appearance: Amber with a finger of khaki head.

Smell: Malty aroma, roasted toffee and sweet caramel.

Taste: Sweet spices and some nice roasted and bready malt flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with nice carbonation.

Drinkability: I really enjoyed this beer. East End is really an underrated brewery and with beers like this, I'm glad I can get their beers on a semi-regular basis.

Axic10, Dec 31, 2010

dogma33, Dec 01, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Deep Mahogany in color indeed! Very little light escaping from the glass. A inch of head due from growler pour.

S - Smells kind of like a porter with roasted coffee and a bit of hops but a nice sweet malt smell. No real spices on the nose.

T - Comes off very creamy. Tastes of bitter chocolate and hops with a nice balances of some winter all spice and a sprinkle of cinnamon. The hop presence is very mild delivering a sweet malt which I love in my winter warmer. Very complex.

M - Light to medium. Hard to believe this is over 6 percent ABV.

D - Well funny story actually my local place is the only location I know that carries this and I wanted a growler fill for 9 bucks. After about 1 1/2 beers the line kicks and he charges me 1.50 for the pour and sends me on my way. I ended up getting two pours out of that for buck fifty. If I did see it again on tap and the price was right I would get a fill but as of now I guess I have to wait till next year. Overall a damn fine winter warmer!

DrDemento456, Dec 21, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

It was a real pleasure to meet BA jcdiflorio this weekend. Much thanks to John for bringing a treat from western PA. Thanks for sharing the growler of Snow Melt Winter Ale. I am a huge fan of roasted porters. This beer was refreshingly more like a perfect porter than an overly spiced winter warmer. Delightfully malty rich tasty and drinkable. Here's the breakdown:

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color that is only partly translucent and a big ivory head little lace.

Smell: This is a very sniffable beer. Roasty, chocolaty bittersweetness, toasted malts, black licorice, anise, and pine and coffee fill the nose with a surprising blend of delightfully scents.

Taste: Like the nose the taste is roasty and dark. There maybe a hint of cinnamon in with those dark roasted chocolate flavors but this one does not get too spiced. That is a plus in this case. It has all the roasty chocolate malts that I love in a Porter. Some dry bitter coffee and nice balance of hops with a distinct milky chocolate and caramel flavor that move eloquently through the mouth and leave a lasting impression all the way through the delightful aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This is a bold creamy solid medium body beer that slides across the palate very easily and is very well rounded with flavors and texture to enjoy.

Drinkability: This is an exceptionally drinkable beer. I could have finished the growler by my self if I didn't have so many great friends =).
Thanks to John for bringing this across the state.
Thanks Scott for making so many great beers. I LOVE Gratitude 05, but I also really enjoy the unique approach you took with this Snow Melt. Keep up the good work.

Hope this is helpful.