Snow Melt Winter Ale - East End Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 11-03-2006

SNOW MELT WINTER WARMER DEBUT:
The first day of Winter is December 21st, but we can start melting the frost sooner than that - time for the first East End Winter Warmer - or should I say AMERICAN Winter Warmer. SNOW MELT is a Mahogany-red ale with a unique malt character, and a bright pine-ey hop flavor, unusual for a beer of this style, but seasonally appropriate none the less.Clocking in at 7% and guaranteed to clear the fog from your glasses, this one's debuting at Growler Hours next week (Dec 14th), and you can keep an eye out for it around town shortly after that.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Served in a pint off of a hand pump at Zeno's. Appearance is a pleasing dark with a little bit of foam that doesn't linger. The smell is clean with just a hint of cereal/sweet. The flavor is also pleasant with an emphasis on the darker malt notes, perhaps a bit of semi-sweet chocolate and butterscotch/caramel & nicely balanced by the hops bitterness. The overall impression is off something less than the indicated alcohol because of all the flavors going on. Body is pleasant but not overwhelming, appropriate to a "winter warmer" sort of beer. Nice beer for the season, but not something I could drink back to back I don't think (so slight ding on the drinkability scale). (676 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a growler from the brewery in Homewood.

A: Pours black with a nice foamy 2 1/2-finger head. Consistent lacing that hangs out for a while. Pretty.

S: Lots of coffee and dark chocolate.

T: Dark chocolate, coffee, and a nice malty backbone.

M: Kind of chewy and it leaves a nice coating.

O: I've had one winter warmer (Harpoon's Winter Warmer) before this one and hated it, so if I'm going by the rules of reviewing, it's by far the best of the style I've had. Looking forward to trying another example of the style sometime. (537 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A delicious winter warmer. A not too thick dark ale with a nice hoppy center with an xtra alcohol kick to warm you up when it is snowing in late March. And in the burgh...it is snowing in late March.

With it's lighter viscosity than a Guinness or other heavy porters and stouts,it can be an enjoyable brew for even those that steer away from the standard dark ale. (365 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

My cousin lives with in walking distance of the East End brewery, so we decided to walk over there an get some beer. After trying a few i decided on the Snow melt winter Ale.We grabbed a Growler an took it home and i thought it beer was great.the ABV is 7% an is well hidden,the beer wasn't to hoppy and it wasn't to bitter either.the taste was smooth and the beer had great lacing.The appearance of the beer was dark like a stout or porter.but on the EastEnd brewery website its supposed to be amber.without asking the owner I assumed the beer is unfiltered.this is a great beer, my cousin and i felt pretty good after 64oz of it too. (635 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

This is the first offering that I have had from East End and I must say I was quite pleased. A mere $3 on draft at The Library in Pittsburgh during happy hour. The beer itself was almost black and let very little light through. Minimal head with little lacing. I picked up primarily dark, roasty notes in the nose. Flavor was similar. The dark malt really stood out, but it was followed by a subdued bitterness. Some of this was hops for sure, but there was a sort of coffee bitterness as well. Mouthfeel was outstanding. It coated the tongue and lingered awhile before going down smooth, a great full-bodied feeling. A lot of firsts on this one, its peaked my interest in the style as well as the brewery. (706 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

We went in to the East End Brewery for a sixth of Black Strap as a gift to a good friend but after sampling Snow Melt we switched our purchase. I am now a very big fan of this brew, possibly my favorite East End beer.

This malty beverage is smooth with hints of carmel and chocolate. It's dark pour reminds you of a good porter or stout but tops it off with a bubbly head.

I suggest getting a taste of this when you can and hopefully you can write a more detailed review. (477 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last