Smokestack Heritage Porter - East End Brewing Company

East End Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.80% ABV

Nov/Dec release.

(Beer added by: jasonm on 07-02-2007)
4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Large flip top bottle bought at the brewery for $15 and sampled among friends at City Beer Store in San Francisco. Very dark beer with minimal head pours into the pint glass, though some bubbling lace remains throughout the experience. Aroma does not smell like a porter at all... it smells like a meat house! I mean, I may as well be wearing a mask of pastrami... and this is all said in the best way possible. The smoked malts are all there are, and they smell delicious. The taste is just as meaty, like chewing on jerky (in a good way), though there seems to be lacking much more character than what the smoked malts bring to the table. Mouthfeel is somewhat thin and under carbonated and I refuse to blame this on the fliptop bottle. However, this is the smokiest, best rauchbier I've ever had and I want more. Now, damn it!

clickpush, Jul 26, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +1%

Big thanks to jasonm for sending this one my way, I was totally stoked to open up this monster 1 liter flip topped bottle as soon s I had seen it. You gotta love when you get something like this in a BIF, not only had I never heard of it befgore, but it was a 1 time brew ta boot! Totally psched. Picture on the bottle was awesome, and it was still relatively cool, even though it was 90 plus degrees on the day it arrived..so onto the beer! On a side note, split this with my younger brother in law, who I am slowly but surely getting involved with the craft brew scene, this was his first smoked beer...

A - Poured a deep dark brown, pretty much opaque with a smallish, about three quarters of an inch tan head. This faded and gave way to just a bit of lace film skimming over the top of the glass. Lots of residual lace down the sides of the glass gave it a very full look, I was pretty sure this one meant buisness...

S - Deeply smoked, this was clearly evident from the very first whiff that came across. Really a strong vibrant aroma. hints of some subtle sweetness, caramel and maybe a touch of a hoppy back were there if you really look for them, but overall it just knocked you over with that strong smoked aroma...

T- The taste was very strong, but not absurdly or bad in any way. Very full flavored. This was a well crafter brew and that was evident from the first sip...Strong smoked flavors is really what this was all about. There was some light sweetness in there if you really looked for it, but you really had to look for it...

M - Very nice and smooth. Not as thick feeling as it looked or I thought it would be. It was soo dark I could have sworn this was a stout of some kind at first. But after sipping it it was just thin enough to be a porter. Great carbonation, obviously made it through shipping just fine. Creamy feel on the tongue and just all around good presence.

D - As mentioned earlier, I would be shocked if this were much over 6% abv, it was just a good quality smoked beer. Not too heavy which made it very good for drinking. I cannot usually handle more then one smoked at a time, its just not usually my thing, but this one was pretty darn good. Me and my brother in law polished this off in no time and I defiantly could have had another.

Overall this was excellent and I am very glad I got a chance to try it. It was very unique and from a brewery I had never heard of, but apparently they are doing some damn fine work up there. I would be very intrested to try some more offerings by them in the future for damn sure. If you can find it I would definatly recommend giving it a shot....BTW he loved it too!

mikesgroove, Jul 22, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours dark brown with a light tan head. Smell is super smoky, (kind of like a backyard BBQ with pork) and dominates the smell with other sweet characters. The smell is great and very inviting. The taste is driven by the smoke and tastes great. Other sweet flavors come through but that BBQ taste lingers on. The mouthfeel isn't as thick as I would have thought for a porter but is smooth and fits well for this beer. This one is a great drinking beer for just about any occasion and would obviously fit well for most backyard gatherings. I really liked this one, thanks to melanoidin for getting me a bottle. Cheers!

wingman14, Jul 22, 2007

Appearance: Pours a dark coffee brown color with a rocky beige head that leaves shards of lace

Smell: Mocha dominates the aroma, with milk chocolate and a modest amount of smoke

Taste: Starts out with a dark bread and chocolate element that is joined, mid-palate, by rather subtle hints of smoke; after the swallow, the smokey aspect picks up but complements the sweeter flavors; there is also a tartness that was unexpected; residual smoke appears again at the very end

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very pleasant flavor profile; a nice porter but would benefit from a more smokey flavor

Thanks, jasonm, for the opportunity

brentk56, Jul 19, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

1 L swing-top bottle purchased at the brewery...Great label!

Appearance: Deep brown, stout-like. Good caramel-colored head with some serious strength.

Smell: I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised that the smoke aroma didn't overtake it. The smoke is definitely there, but more as a background. Nice roasted malt and chocolate-like aromas predominate. The smoke background is a woody-like aroma.

Taste: I was again happily surprised that the smoke wasn't the only thing there. Initially, it seemed like I was tasting a bit of East End's Black Strap Stout, minus the sweetness. There is a strong roasty and cocoa flavor with a mild hop astringency. Woody smoke flavors lay in the background never trying to dominate things. A great overall balance.

Mouthfeel: Nice body and carbonation feel good in the mouth and on the tounge.

Drinkability: I really like it, but I can see this being over the top for some. Mostly smooth and balanced for a porter.

psinderson, Jul 17, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

After a shift at Bocktown the other night Scott Smith had just dropped off a supply of this newly bottled 1 Liter Swing Top bottle. Appears a deep cola brown nearly black hue forms a large tan head leaves behind even lace with each sip, study carbontion flowing as visualized with a stream of bubbles. Aroma is great other than Alaskan Smoked Porter this is the closest amount of smoked meats than the German rauchbier Scherlenkerla the OG Bamberg beauty. Peated malt smokiness along with kilned malts blended to provide smoked pork and herbal earthy smokiness dark choclate and ehrbal hop bursts are muted by the smoke but are still detectable and pleasant to my senses. Flavors more liquid smoke I'm sorry but I love when I beer can taste like peppered smoked bacon more dark roasts provide ample bitterness alongside green herbal fresh hop accents, the peated malt brings out some whiskey esque earthiness. Mouthfeel is medium to fuller body carbonation flows smooth and the finish is bone dry here I'm guessing it's that smokey character that pulls that sensation off. Drinkabillity, another world class offering an awesome smoked porter brewed in the Burgh keep up the creativity because it's bold to put something like this out there not everybody can get down with the smoked beers. For me I craved more after finishing a pint and I had no problem enjoying every drop great drinkable smoked porter.

WVbeergeek, Jul 13, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

1 L flip top bottle, featuring new artwork from Wayno, who brought you the fine artwork from The Ugly American. A smoked porter from East End??? Hell yes.

A - Plus marks for the original bottling and label artwork. Gotta say Im a big fan of the 1L swing tops. But enough on the packaging, what about the beer! Pours a supremely dark brown, with just the faintest bit of light peering through the bottom of the glass. Pours with a nice inch width head of tan soapy bubbles, receding to a skim of brown lace.

S - It's a smoked beer, it smells like .. smoke! But it is by no means a charcoal bomb. The smoke lingers in and out with a tangy sweetness that gives rise to some nice sweet chocolate malt.

T - A real nice porter backbone of dry bittersweet chocolate. The smokiness is there but serves as an accent and does not dominate the flavor at all. A hit of fresh green grassy hoppiness arrives for the finish.

M - A nice light porter body with a good base of carbonation.

D - An extremely well-crafted porter, even without the smoke aspect, which just takes it to a new dimension. Not sure what the alcohol percentage is but I don't image its over 6%. Very flavorful and refreshing.

jasonm, Jul 02, 2007