Monkey Boy - East End Brewing Company

East End Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: jasonm on 03-22-2008)
View: Beers (36) |  Events

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

07-30-2012 15:51:49 | More by JayKay412
DewTheBrew

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Usually I'm against a fruity beer, but I make an exception for the banana flavor in this beer! It's a quality hefeweizen and the initial taste is incredible, as is the smell. I only wish we got it in bottles and cans in Pittsburgh! Please get on that. I get it on draft at a bar in southside all the time and I'm never disappointed. Light look and feel with a hint of banana smell and taste. My glass never seems to last long enough. A very enjoyable beer that I have grown a strong liking for

07-26-2012 14:39:56 | More by DewTheBrew

Maryland

05-31-2012 19:44:42 | More by OriolesFan1008
Cylinsier

Growler

Pours a cloudy lemony yellow gold.

Smells like banana bread, walnuts, and citrus.

Tastes of wheaty malt, banana esters, some mild citrus and a hint of clovers.

Medium body with light tingly carbonation.

A pretty decent hefe, the taste and nose are interesting and a little strange. I'm not sure if I like this more or less than other hefe approaches. But its very refreshing and a good summer session brew.

05-27-2012 22:11:35 | More by Cylinsier
Rifugium

3.45/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at the brewery

This is one of their more popular beers, but honestly I didn't care for it too much. Still good, I just have to be in the mood for wheat beers, even fine hefeweizens. Pale straw-yellow pour, cloudy, with a puffy white head; decent retention and lacing. Light wheat essence in the nose, banana and clove typical of the style. More of the same in the taste, biscuity wheat, banana, clovey spice. Pretty light body, close to medium, fairly drinkable, just not for me on the day in question.

05-21-2012 13:03:21 | More by Rifugium

harrylee773

05-08-2012 02:16:08 | More by harrylee773
thecheapies

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a cloudy lemon pie yellow with a small head that dissipated to a foam layer.

Salty biscuity malts meddling with a soft, banana-heavy yeast ester. Some lemon fresh zing in there. Pretty mild aroma.

Mild spice bite, not unlike coriander seed, and mellow banana. Affirmed hop bitterness in the finish. The estery fruits are a little watery, and the grain malt drinks like Saltines. I like the presence of European hops in this one, but the rest doesn't match up.

Some acidity is welcoming for a hefe. Nice carbonation and spiciness. Drinks well enough. We'll give it a 4.

Not my favorite, but approachable. I will not seek this one out, but will happily settle for it.

02-05-2012 23:58:53 | More by thecheapies

shufon

11-19-2011 04:56:32 | More by shufon
JackTheRipper

1.55/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Had this on tap at Rivertowne Pub and Grille.
I'm really hoping this was an improperly stored keg that had gone a bit bad but going by some of the other reviews I'm not sure.

Poured a cloudy, hazy yellow. No head. No lacing.
No hefe smells. Smelled funky and sour and of hops.
Tasted of sour pineapples.
Moderate to high carbonation. No alcohol burn. Very sharp.

I've brought this up with Scott. Fingers crossed that this is a bad keg, if not, this is an abysmally bad hefe.

09-01-2011 09:43:57 | More by JackTheRipper
bamadog

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Picked up a growler of this at the East End growler station in the strip district. Poured into a pint glass, review is from notes taken on 6/5/2011.

Appearance: Pour is a lemony yellow color; starts with a faint, one finger white head that fades quickly to a thin, bubbly scum on the surface; body is a little hazy and I really can't see any carbonation, but I'm relatively sure it's in there; only a few spots of lacing are left behind on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Slight banana and clove from the yeast; toasty graininess and nice citric hoppy presence in the back of the beer that is a little lemony and provides a nice twist to the beer. Smell is fairly strong as well.

Taste: A solid hefe, to be sure, with a strong citric hop background; hops are complimented well by the moderate banana flavors and the peppery clove. This is a really drinkable beer with great flavors that are refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium/light in terms of weight; the carbonation is very soft and could be a little bit stronger; a moderately thick and sticky coating is left all over the palate; not too heavy at all and the ABV is light.

Overall: A definitely drinkable beer with great flavors that are refreshing and smooth and sweet, with just enough bitterness to keep it extra interesting; ABV is certainly small to entice one to work your way through multiple fillings of it. Cheers to East End. Having this makes me wan to crack my Gratitude.

06-09-2011 02:05:44 | More by bamadog
IronCitySteve

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a bright hazy yellow color with a small white foam head that quickly dissipates. There is some spotty lacing.

S: Very heavy scents on the nose. Lots of spices, clove and coriander. Banana, wheat, earthy funkness as well. Very potent and quite inviting.

T: Starts off with the spice coming through first and foremost with a slight underlying of wheat. The clove and coriander are most obvious at this point. In the middle the wheat and banana begins to flex its muscles and they stick around till the very end.

M: Nicely carbonated, leaves a nice dank wheat and banana taste on the palate, very refreshing.

O: This is a fantastic brew, one of my favorites and luckily for me a local beer. It is definitely a beer I enjoy in the summer, but I can always drink it, even on cold weather days.

04-08-2011 16:31:09 | More by IronCitySteve
kimbo33

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

Awesome tasting beer! Nice use of the yeast to get the optimum banana taste/smell from this one. Tastes like 99 bananas it is so bananay! Has a great smell too it too. It is a bit strong in flavor though so I can't drink alot, but still very good and worth the try.

01-01-2011 23:37:33 | More by kimbo33
jss38

2.83/5  rDev -27.8%

Had this at beer tasting at Rock Bottom in Homestead. Later took a growler home to try it again.

A: Brighter than I expected. Slightly orange and pretty opaque. Carbonation was a little off so minimal head.

S: Citrus and wheat. A little of the banana but it was masked by the bitter wheat smell.

T: For a beer called Monkey Boy I was a little surprised at how much I tasted orange. Maybe it was the color but a sour tang was all over my tongue at first then there was clove and finally the end of it was a little fruity and sour.

M: A little flat (might have been the keg) and tart, not terrible though.

D: Well, for a beer that is well received I was a little let down. I might try it again directly from the brewery but I was not impressed. It did grow on me as little as I finished off the growler, but as far as El Hefe goes, I think there are better recipes.

10-12-2010 02:52:26 | More by jss38
terrapinfan88

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into my favorite weizen glass which was regrettably broken in a George Clinton inspired monkey boy induced dance off.

Appearance: Hazy yellow almost cider like translucence not much head, light carbonation throughout

Smell: Banana, honey, clove, doughy

Taste: Banana, honey, Cloves, earthy malts, doughy . Taste like it could be boozier than 4.5.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation (from transporting from Pittsburgh and waiting in the fridge until I finished their Big Hop) Bright and medium bodied.

Drinkability: The low alcohol and light carbonation meant this growler was gone in one night with a friend probably could have been able to do a growler each. Very potable.

There was so much yeast at the bottom, I could not resist pouring beer from my glass back in the jug and swirling it. I divided it up between me and my good buddy and oh god was it good like drinking banana bread.

10-04-2010 00:12:40 | More by terrapinfan88