Toaster - 4th/9th Anniversary Imperial Stout - East End Brewing Company

Toaster - 4th/9th Anniversary Imperial StoutToaster - 4th/9th Anniversary Imperial Stout

East End Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 12-17-2008

Brewed to commemorate the brewery's 4th and 9th anniversary.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from the one liter swing top bottle at recent Christmas party. Poured jet black with a small tan head that lingered a bit. Aromas of roasted malt, smoke, and charred/burnt grain. Taste was quite good: malt goodness, bitter chocolate, some licorice, and smoke. Mouth feel was nice and thick with very little hop bitterness. Wish I had another bottle of this one and/or they'd brew it again as this was quite delicious.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Another beer that was opened during the epic tasting at finewinemike's. So many generous BA's. Poured from a 1 Liter growler into my Colossus snifter.

Appearance: Pours black as night with a layer of tan head that fades to a thin ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: This one is really smokey and roasty. There seems to be a hint of charred wood and a nice sweet malt background.

Taste: Really roasty with some smoke too. I guess that is what I should expect from a beer named toaster. The bitterness level is higher than the sweetness level. There is a hint of coffee in this one as well.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thicker side with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: They chose a really appropriate name and label for this beer. Really roasty and smokey with not a whole lot of sweetness. Good and I would have it again given the chance. Really happy that I got to try this.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

I'd been sitting on this huge l liter bottle to open at the "right" time. I think I attempted to drink one by myself a few years ago and that was rough as this is a hugely flavored and burned malt bomb of a beer. So, I had a good chance to open this when a few Ohio BA's got together for a tasting in Fairlawn one February evening. The right time had finally arrived!

The beer looks nice poured in my New Belgium snifter. It's a dark brown color with black streaks and just a touch of lighter colors on the edges. There's a small dark brown head but not a lot of lace or anything, which dings the score a touch.

The smell is Toaster's best quality. It's a vitrual smorgasboard of burned, roasted, smoked and blackened malt. There's some hints of chocolate, dark fruit, coffee and burned toast. I wonder if that's where...hey, I see what you did there East End. Seriously, burned toast is in the house.

The taste is intense and unforgiving. A huge burned molasses note kicks me right in the teeth to start things out. Chocolate, coffee and dark fruit abound but the roast seems to dominate everything until the beer reaches room temperature. Still, this works - Scott, I don't know how you did this but this works. Normally a burned note this strong would have me screaming and flailing, but here I am silent and still. There's a touch of sweet caramel on the end that helps me want more, but, wow - this is one intense beer in a category of its own.

The mouthfeel is a bit of a setback, as, while the beer does have some nice heft to it, the carbonation is too sparkley for a big stout like this. That being said, this was actually much, much more enjoyable shared with BA friends than drank on my own ;) For all the huge flavors, Toaster is a great beer and one I'm happy to have tried several times. I'm even more happy one of those happened to be the right time!

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 1L swingtop bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Toaster has a molasses, nearly black, color throughout, with a nice looking coffee color cream cap.

Smell: Malt forward, with lots of roasted malt, smokey notes, molasses, and chocolate.

Taste: Up front the roasted malt works well with dark chocolate and roast coffee. Some smokiness is there too, and I get a whiff up my nose as well while I am sipping this. Some molasses flavor adds a light sweetness. The finish is clean and sweet.

Mouthfeel: This is full bodied, with medium carbonation, which I feel may have declined over time. A strong toasted feel.

Drinkability: This was a treat to try, and I definitely enjoyed it. Unless they brew this again, I will probably not be able to get any more, though.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

I got the chance to try this courtesy of jampics2 (thanks Bobby!). This is a LARGE flip-top bottle, might as well be a growler. We had a lot of beer choices on this night, and this bottle didn't get finished. Not because it isn't good, just there was so much of it.

It pours a dark brown, nearly black, opaque, with a thin dark foam. The aroma is very roasty, with a large supporting palette in descending order: cocoa, nuts, coffee. But mostly I get the roasted malts.

This tastes more charred than any beer I've every tried before. Nearly acrid charred flavors, taken to the edge of enjoyment. Just a little more char and this would be undrinkable, but at this level it adds an interesting component to this beer. Nice cocoa flavors in the aftertaste.

The body is on the thick side, coats the mouth and keeps the flavors present after each sip. I liked it, and I think naming it Toaster was appropriate with all the char.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%

From notes:

Pours pitch black and comletely opaque without even the slightest hint of lighter color when held to a light source and a massive three finger frothy, pillowy dark mocha head. This is the darkest head I've seen on any beer not named Dark Lord. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that coats the glass with rings, streaks and splotches of soapy chocolate colored lacing. Onenof the best looking beers I've encountered.

Deep roasty aroma with lots of smokey almost burnt malt notes. Slightly acrid smelling with lots of charcoal and burnt toast in the nose as well as hints of sweet chocolate, oatmeal, coffee bean and nut.

Medium bodied and a bit more acrid tasting than the aroma suggests. Lots of oddly roasted/smokey/burnt malt notes that kind if overwhelm the other flavors. As it warms up the beer opens and the silky chocolate notes appear as well as some caramel, more roasted coffee bean, oatmeal, hazelnut and toffee. Overall this is tasty but a bit one-dimensional for my taste.

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%

I raise a toasty, roasty glass of darkness to the southeast & the demense of beerisheaven, who sent me this beer almost a year ago. Popping this one open in his honor, for today I rec'd my tenth - tenth - box from this uber-trader, filled with more great beers than the average trader sees in a month of Thursdays. Salut, sir!

First, what a beautiful bottle, unique, almost like a small, old-world growler with the sinuous shape & swing-top. After a convincing "pop" the merry pouring starts, & it's a dark, dark pour. Smell comes out in waves of midnight malts touched by char; but not as much as the name led me to believe. But the smell is standard fantastic stout.

Toaster brings the toast in the taste. Dead-on black toast. Luckily, my wife always makes fun of me for putting the toaster - and the waffle maker - on the highest setting. I'm right at home. Roast leans into coffee territory, & there's a taste, either the coffee bitterness or, even after all this time, a slash-and-burn of ghostly hops. Moderate sweetness keeps the blaze in check. Ash sweeps in after the tastes have had their way & covers everything in a dull gray.

Heavily oiled, like David Hasselhoff, only different. Deep and long on the tongue, the roast leaves a lasting impression & lingering taste, like a cup of coffee, coating all available counter space. Frighteningly, given the mystery ABV, I find myself swilling this like a Bud Light on a scorching summer day.

Borders between very good to excellent, but slips over the line to the big E. The roast is as good as advertised, & the smell is nigh orgasmic. East End is two-for-two on the scoreboard in this house. Thanks again, Brian.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks to drfabulous who had this sitting in his cellar for about a year.

A - Poured out an opaque jet black color. Very viscous. It had a very small brown head of foam. It left some sudsy lace.

S - It smelled of chocolate, toasted molasses and some smoke.

T - Smoky with some burnt molasses flavor. Rich chocolate flavors with some rich roasted maltiness.

M - It was smooth and somewhat soft. A medium to full bodied beer.

D - This is a really tasty and really unique beer. I'm glad I got to try this one.

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%

Finally decided to crack open my one and only bottle of this to celebrate my brothers birthday. Poured from a 1L swing-top bottle purchased in 2008 into a Golden Monkey tuliped snifter...

A - Dark, deep, opaque black. A serious black hole of a beer. A dark, burnt 1 finger mocha head forms and sticks around. Great lacing as well. The best head I have ever encountered on a beer.

S - Thick, sweet and heavy notes of chocolate and molasses. Dark fruits come through along with roasted malts, caramel, toffee and burnt brown sugar.

T - Burnt brown sugar, molasses and chocolate. Thick and slightly syrup-y. Some greatr dark fruits and coffee notes come through as well. Very sweet beer. There are also some hints of charred ash and burnt wood like flavors coming through. Very interesting.

M - Light carbonation, but it works great with this style. Heavy body, but for everything that is going on in this one, I expected it to be a bit thicker.

D - Not the most drinkable beer. Very thick and in your face flavors. The burnt tastes seem to pound the palate and it took quite a while to get through this one even when splitting it 3 ways.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer was better than the other East end big stout we had. Big bottle shared between a bunch of people at a recent tasting. Beer is black / brown and forms a decent head of small and medium bubbles. Head breaks and falls away.

Aroma is one dimensional, mostly sweetness, maybe some roast.

Beer has a medium body and decent but not overpowering bitterness at the back of the palate. The sweetness is nice up front and it has some coffee like flavors in there and good connectivity. Beer is also quite smooth and easy to drink. Its a was a nice treat.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Liter, flip-top bottle into an oversized tulip glass.

This just has one of the thickest and darkest pours that I've seen in a while, looking like motor oil coming out of the glass, pouring a pitch black with several fingers of burnt and dark mocha colored head. This retains with a near finger of thick and rich froth, which slathers the sides of the glass with a heavy latticework of sticky lacing and heavy brown oils. The aroma just blows up in the nose with notes of chocolate, burnt molasses, even more burnt coffee, some licorice, and a good bit of earthy and citric hop character. I'm really surprised at how fresh smelling this still is after a year and a half in the bottle. This is just equal parts sweet and dark in the nose at times. I'm really digging it.

The taste starts out with warm sweetness that drenches the mouth, full of sticky bitter chocolate, toffee, maple syrup, and some ripe earthy fruit notes. The back of the profile is all darkness however, with black coffee, burnt roast, and hops all giving this a very aggressive sharp bitterness that finishes this dry, charred, and toasted, hanging in the mouth with a good bit of leftover sticky sweetness. I must say, that a LOT of green earthy citrus emerges as this warms, giving the profile an extra layer of gritty fruity bitterness. The mouthfeel is full, thick, and creamy, with a heavy underlying viscous feel that carries all of those heavy flavors. There is some definite warmth associated with the body but the alcohol flavor itself is extremely well hid.

Jeez, Toaster is a GREAT name for this one, with the finish being so burnt and blackened in the taste to the point that I felt like I was eating a piece of liquid charred toast at times. OK, that might be exaggerating a bit but this was VERY intense with the bitterness and it did hold things back a touch for me but overall this was still a VERY solid and well done Anniversary Stout from East End.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic beer from a great brewery. Pours viscous and ultra-black with a very dark head, similar to Ten Fidy, but perhaps not quite as tall, dark brown and tight, like coffee crema. Smells rich with licorice, molasses, roasty notes, and bitter chocolate. Excellent flavors. Tastes like Scharffenberger Chocolate to start- vinous, bitter, and complex over a nice roasty stout base, and a touch of rounded molasses sweetness to tie it all together. Balanced and delicious. Firm and rich in the mouth with some slight tannins to give it some backbone. Really nice!

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

1 liter fliptop bottle from 2008 shared by bring. Thanks, Barry. The beer has a sludgy black appearance, quite viscous with a dark brown head. It smells of molasses and bitter dark chocolate. Roasty, a little ashy, mellow on the whole with no noticeable alcohol. Flavors of molasses and baker's chocolate carry over from the aroma. It's very viscous, but smooth and drinkable. Rich, full-bodied, perhaps a bit simple, but I can't fault it much for that. Silky bittersweet finish, lingering notes of coffee and chocolate. Very good.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Reviewed from notes (04/25/2010)...

Big thanks to Stigs for bringing this one to our late night, six people in a small room, tasting!

Split a few ways with Stigs and dtx000 and our gals. Poured from a 32oz bottle into various glass(and plastic)ware. Formed a nice, 2 finger mocha colored head that stuck around for some time...small amounts of fluff coated the side of my glass (yeah...real glass)! The body is thick, solid and black.

The nose is dosed heavily with black coffee, dark chocolate and roasted malts. You can also detect some hints of molasses and maybe even some cream in the background.

Wow...the taste follows the nose. Starts off with a roasted malt flavor the turns a little sweet toward the middle. This fades into the finish which finds a (almost acidic) black coffee bitterness.

The mouth feel is on the thicker side, creamy and oily with mild carbonation.

This is a great stout that I am thrilled to have tried. It is very drinkable and I really wish that Scott would brew this again!!

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

1L bottle thanks to bring. I should also thank DavoleBomb, who sent me one in a trade, but I have yet to crack that bottle.

This is a black one - dark as hell with a lasting brown head and some lacing.

Aroma is roast, chocolate, anise, and molasses. Nice.

Flavor is really intense, very roasty and a little hoppy even. Coffee and dark chocolate as well. Complex and very tasty.

Drying roasty char on the palate with very full body and a slick mouthfeel.

A very good RIS overall. Always good to try a new awesome one from my real home state of PA.

Toaster - 4th/9th Anniversary Imperial Stout from East End Brewing Company