Eye Opener Coffee Porter - East End Brewing Company

Eye Opener Coffee PorterEye Opener Coffee Porter

East End Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: rabsten on 09-12-2009)

Thanks to the incomparable beerisheaven for another good-looking bottle of East End brew. An evening I'll long remember for a couple of reasons, one of which being 7 squirreled-up girls in the basement on a sleepover. Bring me a beer, dammit!

Pours out of the stylin' 33.8 oz. flip-top into two pint glasses just fine, a brown so close to black as to make no difference. Smell is what I'm hoping for: light coffee, roast, held up gently by a framework of sweet malts.

Eye Opener brings what I want in a coffee beer: that is beer, & coffee, not just a howitzer blast of Peruvian beans. Smooth bean greets my thirsty throat, but it's a quiet, gentle coffee taste that's buttressed by the sweet malts. So smooth I have to believe there's oatmeal here. Great body to this, hits a nice pitch of being full enough to support the beer, not filling my tummy, but makes me want to slug it like Gatorade. Nice mix.

Very good beer & a really nice coffee beer; the most drinkable example of the style I've come across in a long time, if ever.

4.05/5  rDev 0%

32 oz. bottle shared by Grant – much obliged!

Pours one shade from black with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of robust coffee, partly drier roast and partly smoother and more espresso-like. Moderate amounts of roasted malts linger in the background, as do hints of unsweetened chocolate.

Tastes similar to how it smells, although the coffee isn’t quite as large. Moderately dry roasted malt flavors kick things off before being overtaken by large amounts of coffee. The coffee fades a bit midway through the sip, allowing slight semi-sweet chocolate flavors to work their way into things. Coffee and roasted malts carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is OK. It’s a bit on the thin side with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass with no problems and could have another.

Overall this was another beer that East End has taken to extremes – not that I think that’s a bad thing – along with Toaster. A very coffee-forward beer that is worth a shot.

3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to davolebomb for this one (as usual). Shared a swing-top.

Poured a nice dark brown color with nice creamy looking head. Smell got me very excited right off the bat. Very nice strong coffee smell that ends with a wonderful dark chocolate taper. Taste let me down off of coming off the that luxurious smell. Don't get me wrong, this is one hell of a beer. The taste had various steps to it. Started out with a nice burnt cofffee roast taste which lead to a nice rich sweet but bitter dark chocolate taste. After all said and done, I was left with my favorite part which was an awesome coffee bitterness that lingered in my mouth. When all said and done, my only major complaint was all in all it wasn't nearly as strong as I was expecting coming off of that extremely aromatic onslaught that started it all. Still very satisfied in the end though. On the flipside though, this beer does go down very easily, making it easy to drink much more at a time.

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%

1L swingtop shared with a buddy. Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of creamy light brown head with average retention for a coffee beer and a good amount of lacing.

4.0 S: Not surprisingly, coffee is the main attraction here. Not too strong and not too weak, it works well with the base beer. Base beer is roasty, smoky, and grainy to an extent. Fairly dry with a touch of char.

3.5 T: Again, a good amount coffee, smoke, roasty barley, and a touch a char. Again this is dry. It's good, but it could use some crystal malt or something to get some sweetness in there.

3.0 M: Mouthfeel suffers from the same problem in the taste. Not enough residual sugar so not enough body. Lighter medium body. Carbonation is at a good level, but it would be so much better coming out of a thicker, richer, creamier body.

3.5 D: Pretty good beer, but not worth the price. I bought two so I could see how it ages, but give me the bill for some FBS anyday over this.

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

32oz swingtop bottle from thebouch3. Huge thanks for this beer! Poured into new Three Floyds glass.

A- Poured dark, black in color. Not quite one finger head, light tan in color. Fades down to a thin cap.

S- Nose is full of coffee notes. Not quite as full as I expected. Roasted malt notes come through towards the back.

T- Very nice coffee flavors throughout this drink. Slightly burnt taste. Flows into roasted malt flavors. Sweet chocolate taste drizzled in the middle. Ends with some bittering aspects. Throughout nice flavors, nothing overly bold, but better than most porters.

M- Not quite a full body, closer to medium. Moderate carbonation, bitter coffee stays with you.

D- Very good coffee porter. One of the better coffee beers I've had. Drank the whole bottle tonight and could have another this weekend. Typically always lean towards stouts over porters, but this one could stand up with some stouts.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Pours a dark brown with a small light tan head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S: Smells fantastically of coffee, with a little dark chocolate.

T: Much like the smell, it tastes strongly of coffee.

M: Not particularly thick, and lightly carbonated. Although a little thinner than I would have expected, it's not bad at all.

D: Very drinkable. I'm halfway through my second glass, and if left unchecked, might drink my way through the entire growler.

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Picked up a bottle at Capones in Norristown, PA. I have always liked EE bottles, a cool flip top 1L bottle that becomes a nice little growler when finished with the original beer contained in the bottle.

A - Pours a bit like root-beer basically brown with a hint of reddish tint as you look through it. Poured pretty aggressively and managed to secure only a small head of bubbles that instantly runs for cover.

S - I read some of the other reviews where people were assaulted by fresh strong coffee. I certainly got a dominant coffe profile but there was something else in there that put me off a bit. It almost smelt like the plasctic contained in the flip cap. Something that definitiely detracted from the otherwise rich coffee front. As with other coffee beers, I sometimes get a secondary hint of bitter chocolate. Nice, but I dinged this one .5 for the strange whiff I got.

T - Pretty good with a nice coffee cup of joe taking center stage. Personally, I liked Planet Bean much more than this one and found myself comparing this to Bean as I was drinking it (recognizing though the stout v. porter classes). The taste includes a backbone of bitter chocolate as well. Nice, but not outstanding

M - Somewhat thin, a little bit lacking here.

D - Still enjoyable and would probably go back for round 2 to give it another shot, but in my opinion lots better in the class.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Picked up a growler of this at Capone's today.

Pours a deep brown/black with amber highlights around the outside. Has a small off white head that leaves nice lacing down the glass.

Smells like coffee, roast, chocolate, hint of caramel.

Taste is of coffee, light roast, caramel, and herbal hops. Lingers with a chocolate and coffee tinge.

Mouthfeel is a little thin for me, between moderate and light.

Drinkability is good, its very inviting and pleasant overall.

4.9/5  rDev +21%

A- If you look hard enough you can see an amber/ruby fade around the bottom of an otherwise opaque black beer, and that is when held up to a light mind you. also has a fluffy dead-even tan colored head that fades to a fluffy half-finger ring.

N- the coffee is a bit faint on the nose considering. also some yeast, caramel, and some roasty malt scent. there is a little bit of a herbal hop smell there too.

T- caramel and light roast coffee. in the beginning of it, the herbal/piney hop taste is there, and the coffee, seems weaker in the beginning, but as it goes on, the hop taste fades and gives way to a strong coffee flavor. caramel is the noticeable background throughout. I want to note that the kind of coffee used, or whatever was done it (roasting, etc.) made whatever style of coffee used were perfect. the flavor that comes out of it is wonderful in this style of beer.

M- Piney at the start, becomes more smooth as it goes on, until the coffee bites on the finish.

D- Undeniably my favorite coffee porter I've had. It really is an amazing beer, I can't say enough in it's favor. I hope this becomes either a seasonal release or a rotating brew.

3.2/5  rDev -21%

A liter swing-top bottle into a couple of tulip glasses.

Pours a straight black in the glass, with 1-2 fingers of darker mocha colored head. This retains with a thin layer of froth that stretches across the surface of the liquid yet still leaves back some rich lacing that hangs in heavy foamy swathes down the sides of the glass. The aroma smells of fresh roasted coffee grounds, sweet chocolate malts, and then a bit of earthy hop character in the background. Unfortunately I'm also picking up some chalky and plastic band-aid off-notes in this as well. They aren't completely off-putting but are noticeable and detract from the nose a bit.

The taste is a mix of thick chocolate and caramel sweetness, dark roasted malts, and a light leafy bitterness. The coffee flavors seem much more muted here than they did in the nose and take some punch away from the profile. The finish is dry and roasty, with that chalkiness rearing its head again. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with more of a soft and bubbly feel in the mouth. It would seem to need a bit more sharpness to help bring out those roast and coffee flavors. Thankfully that nearly 7% ABV is well hid and is a big saving grace of this beer.

Wow, I have to say that this was pretty much a disappointment, especially since I had such a good experience with this same beer out of the growler back in 2009 (a solid A Coffee Stout for me). The off-notes, lack of coffee flavors in the taste, and overly soft body just didn't get the job done for me. I guess this is one that just didn't translate well to the bottle.

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

A 1-liter bottle (or growler, however you want to look at it) purchased at Al's of Hampden and shared with wishuwerebeer. This brew appears a dark brown color with a finger of smooth, creamy tan head that slowly recedes and leaves a coating of lacing upon the glassware. When held to the light, you can see the body displays quite a bit of deep ruby clarity.

The aroma includes fresh roasted coffee with an earthy component and a citrus twang that is very similar to that which can only be attributed to the effects of coffee grounds/beans. As the brew warms up, it has a minty sort of herbal quality which I am assuming to be the hops coming forward in this brew. Overall this offering is quite roasty smelling and enjoyable to the nose.

The taste however has a peculiar sort of yeasty "greenness" that I find to be distracting and somehow it makes it's way into the aroma after getting the taste in your mouth. It has quite a bitter roasted quality of malt which blends nicely with the flavor of coffee. It leaves a lingering green leafy taste which is a little fruity in the mouth coupled with coffee, bitter roasted malt and a slight drying chocolate character. The off flavor here of green yeastiness ruins this brew for me and as much as I try to focus on the good qualities, the green flavor keeps coming back and I can't oversee it. The green aspect brings out a mineral taste which just adds to the bad aspect of this beer's flavor.

This is a medium bodied brew with a light, enjoyable level of carbonation. It is carbonated enough to support a head for a bit and have a light prickly feel in the mouth. For nearly 7% alcohol, it is hidden quite well in both flavor and warming factor. This is a brew that had a lot of potential and I wouldn't mind trying it again. I am glad I shared the bottle with a friend, I could finish my glass but was not interested in having another. Perhaps I got a bad bottle based on other people's reviews or maybe I let it sit in the cellar for too long.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

A 1 L swingtop bottle from Al's of Hampden. I love the oversized East End offerings. This is an 'Eye' bottle, featuring Commonplace Coffee.

A: The porter is dark, stout-like in its depth. Opaque obviously. A tan head, coffee and cream in color, approached a finger on pour and left minimal patches of lace behind.

S: The nose has plenty of coffee, a rich aroma that nicely segues into bitter chocolate and toast. The porter base is well-suited to carry the coffee. A lactic sweetness adds to the swirl of ingredients.

T: The porter body is strong, roasted with dark chocolate malts and semi-sweet chocolate. There is a smooth creaminess that suggests lactose or oatmeal, an au lait aspect for the porter. Coffee is a recurring theme, a delicious roasted flavor, not as intense as in the nose, that leaves a roasted bitterness behind. A strong pairing of coffee and porter, good to the last drop.

M: The mouthfeel is rich, ample porter and coffe to go around. A little thin at times, the ale is generally robust. Makes me want to trek to the 'Burgh for some Commonplace (and East End too).

D: A delicious coffee porter, combining two of my top three liquids (sorry, oxygen dihydride takes the top spot).

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

1 Liter swingtop bottle shared by StormKing47 at Al's of Hampden. Shared with the Al's of Hampden guys. Poured into an tasting glass.

A - Pours dark brown, borderline black, with a nice one finger tan head that dissipates quickly leaving light lacing down the glass.

S - Eye opener is the perfect name for this one. Coffee aroma is strong and ever present. As it comes to room temperature you pick up a bit of bitter chocolate and a touch of sweetness from the malt. A touch one dimensional but still very nice.

T - Could there be any more coffee in this one? Bitter dark roast coffee up front giving way quickly to a thin, chocolate flavor. Finish is lots of strong, dark, coffee that lingers for a short time. I think I could actually pass this off as a cup of coffee. A very solid coffee porter.

M - Heavy flavor and body with medium-light carbonation. A bit on the thin side for what I like from my porters but still a good feel.

D - Pretty good. I would say porters are my second favorite style behind stouts and, while I liked this one a lot, it was a bit too thin for my liking. Still a very nice porter, just not the best I have had.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

On cask @piperspub -> imperial pint
2010

Arrives black with an inch mocha head. Sheets of lace up and down the glass.

Nose: Coffee. Enough to open my eyes :)

Smooth body. Great feel from the cask, impressive. Once I get over how creamy good the mouth is, I can start sifting through the strong chocolate and coffee flavors that dominate the huge malt profile. Slightly burnt but crazy complex mix of dark chocolate coffee and some chewy caramel. Grassy hops let you know they are there but well hidden in the background. A twinge of unripe crab apple let's us know the yeast is still active. Bitterness from the heavy charred malts and hops allows the brew to finish dry.

More than happy the state finally appproved the beer, thanks to Pipers Pub for providing cask choices to be envied.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Was fortunate to get a taste of this at East End's Festival of Darkness. Really enjoyed it so I purchased a bottle.

A: Pours a viscous dark black color with a thick brown foam head that has great retention. Nice thick lacing.

S: Lots of burnt and roasted coffee scents and lots of milk chocolate and dark choclate.

T: There is ample amounts of roasted coffee flavors up front and throughout the taste. The sumatra coffee is the most predominant flavor. There is also a little sweetness from the milk choclate.

M: A nice full body beer that leaves a roasted taste on the palate.

D: This is a fantastic offering from East End. If you enjoy coffee flavors in your beer, this is a beer you must get.

4.05/5  rDev 0%

Figured this would help me get through finals studying a little bit. 1.5 liter swingtop bottle (with awesome label art) purchased on 12/4/2010 (day after the release) poured into an East End pint glass...

A - Pours an opaque coca-cola colored brown with very minimal head action at all. Very slight tan collar forms and actually has some nice lacing. *EDIT: a more aggressive second pour yielded a nice espresso colored, one finger head that receded to a collar of the same color.*

S - Coffee, and quite good coffee, outright in the nose. FRESH roasted coffee beans and some a slight touch of some type of sweetness; possibly vanilla or a slight touch of molasses? Nice chocolate and malt notes coming through as well.

T - Roasted coffee beans and roasted malts take the stage on this one. Big coffee flavor dominates the palate, but in a very nice way. There is also a nice, very subtle sweetness to it that juxtaposes nicely with the coffee bitterness.

M - Pretty normal for a porter; medium-light bodied with a nice creaminess to it. Moderate carbonation as well.

D - Quite drinkable. It has a nice low ABV which helps. As a guy who doesn't drink any coffee except when in beer, I really enjoyed this one. It is a nice one off from Scott and another solid EEB beer.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

A - very dark with a brown head. When you move your glass the head leaves a trail like coffee does.

S - very coffee-centric. Malts underneath but noticeable.

T - heavy coffee flavor while cold, bitterness of coffee. As it earns it starts opening up with a porter-esque flavor... in other words, drink warm.

M - sharp like coffee. Heavy coating but not much tingle.

D - as a coffee lover I could drink this all day.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

On cask @ sharp edge creekhouse-served in a pint glass.

A- Body is a deep nearly opaque dark brown. Served with a nice 1 finger foamy, bubbly light tan head. This has perfect retention! Traces od lacing left down the glass...but not much.

S- Aroma is great and I'm sure the head has a lot to do with that...Roasted coffee beans are the most dominant upfront, with a nice dose of mocha, dark malt, and a touch of vanilla sweetness to balance it out. Nose is warm and inviting.

T- Roasted malt and coffee beans are the highlight upfront with subtle tones of mocha and sweetness just barely along for the ride. The flavors intensify for the finish with a roasted malt/ big coffee flavor dominating the profile. There is a very subtle sweetness detectable also- but not enough to unmask the huge black coffee character going on here. What lingers is a big roasted malt bitterness.

M- Given that this is a cask beer there is little to no carbonation (which adds to the black coffee character)..but the mouthfeel is fairly smooth and silky.

D- This is a very interesting brew. Its like an extreme black coffee porter with the most subtle hint of sweetness that doesn't come near balancing it out. If you like a big coffee punch in your porter than this is the beer for you. Me- I find it novel and great to try once, but a bit over the top. Another solid, interesting creation by Scott at East End.

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

on cask @ Sharp Edge Creekhouse, served in a pint glass

A - huge 3+ fingers of rich and frothy dark tan foam, lacing like mad. the beer is the color of very dark and strong coffee.

S - coffee, fresh not stale like usually found in coffee brews. ends with some milk chocolate and nuttiness. not too overbearing, just yummy.

T - more fresh and strong coffee (italian roast), chocolate accents near the end, gracefully blended with a touch of biscuity malts and some hop bitterness. only bad note was a very slight metallic twang noticeable on some EEB beers.

M - rich and creamy, had this on tap a couple times but the cask just gives it a whole new level of character.

D - one was perfect to start the chilly night off with, would love to start any day with a mug of this.

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Found this on cask at Fatheads in Pittsburgh. I have recently been turned on to East End Brewing and I have yet to be disappointed, so I figured, time to give the eye opener a shot. I was very pleased with this coffee porter and I would reccomend it to anyone who can find it.

Appearance: Pours coal black with nice mocha colored lacing in my tulip.

Taste: Coffee. Chocolate. Very enjoyable roasted and sweet malt backbone that is complemented with a nice hop profile. I found it to be bittersweet.

Mouthful: Very smooth and drinkable. This beer is a little too sessionable! That's why I am afraid to purchase a growler ha. Carbonation is on key.

I was really impressed with this brew. I only wish that more people in Pittsburgh would support East End's endeavors to brew GOOD BEER.

Thanks Scott.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Black, opaque body and a big brown head.

The aroma is bursting with coffee, tons of it. Behind that coffee flavor is a bit of both chocolate and roasted character.

The flavor is almost all coffee, with the porter peaking through from underneath. In fact, this beer tastes more like coffee than any I have encountered up to this point (yeah, I've said that before, but THIS time I mean it). After tasting a fresh roasted cup of black coffee I pick up roasted malts and a bit of chocolate flavors.

Mouthfeel is a bit creamy, moderate carbonation.

This sucker is pretty drinkable, and is another fine East End beer, but I have to agree with the government: "Eye opener" is an unacceptable because I fell asleep with a few more sips of the last of the growler in my glass.

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a fresh growler into my DFH pint glass.

A: Pours out sludgly black and builds a mild dark brown head.

S: Smells of high quality fresh roasted coffee.

T: Rich black coffee, chocolate, roasted grains, and a pleasant alcohol finish.

M: Thick and rich

D: Very drinkeable. I don't know what the ABV on this is, but is sneaks up on you.

An exception offering from East End that should be made yearly. Grab this stuff while its here, it won't last long.

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a growler, black and tar-like in color with a lighter brown head. Looks thick, dark and sexy.

Smell is of fresh brewed coffee and some very pleasant chocolate notes.

A nice complex little brew here. Big time coffee flavors, almost like layers of coffee, if that makes sense. Different blends. Chocolate malt is also there lending a bittersweet cocoa note.

Mouthfeel is thick and full bodied. Good level of carbonation.

For an American Porter, this one is very memorable. I think Coffee Beer should be a style in itself. Consider my eyes opened.

4.63/5  rDev +14.3%

Another fine example of brewing excellence in the Burgh, big time coffee notes explode in the aroma with dark roasted malt layers and creamy underpinnings. Hops arrive with big herbal qualities, the color of course is pitch black eats all waves of the visible light spectrum. Large tan mocha head forms pleasantly. Flavor has rich roasted coffee bitterness with a creamy solid porter bases bringing dark chocolate to the table as well. Mouthfeel is full bodied yet creamy in nature with a nice unwavering carbonation level that let's these big characteristics shine so well. Drink ability, another favorite of the Big Pour this definitely capitalized on being the official beer brewed for the Big Pour and it definitely lived up to those expectations. Someone please edit this is the eye opener porter and should be around for a minute.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Ah, another Scott Smith success.

Datk brown to black with choc. Head. Good lacing. Nice. Espesso aroma from the insane amount of Rachael Carson blend coffee. Other notes of hops, toast, & sweet malt. Nice too.

Lots of tasty coffee and alcohol along with the trademarked East End phenols. Sweet. Good mouthfeel, fine drinkability.

Bottom line: yet another great S. Smith product. Get it whilst you can, man.

EDIT: yes, it should be 'Eye Opener" with an "R". Sorry Scott. Regardless, this is right up there with Toaster and Homewood Reserve. Go get some now.

FOLLOW UP: One week after getting this growler I opened it up for brunch. Man, this is so smooth and drinkable I could easily go through a growler is a sitting. This is phenomenally drinkable. Very, very good.

SECOND FOLLOW UP: Two months in I grabbed another growler. A bit mellower coffee-wise but man, it's still awesome. Dear Scott, please brew this again and maybe, perhaps, consider a bottling run. This should be available to share/trade with beer fans nationwide.

Eye Opener Coffee Porter from East End Brewing Company