Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
Ratings: 699 | Reviews: 187
2.83/5  rDev +40.8%

Not terrible; less sweet than typical BMC swill. Still certainly hop-barren and slightly over-sweet, but pretty drinkable.

4.6/5  rDev +128.9%

My favorite frat house beverage!

2.63/5  rDev +30.8%

cheap nasty beer. Used to drink warm in my youth.

2.5/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Average tasting cheap beer eh.

2.04/5  rDev +1.5%

all of these derivatives that came out in the 90s....did they come out of the same tank?

2.96/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Had this back in the day, and this may be one of the only macro adjuncts I've never reviewed. So I bought a six pack of cans for $4 and here we are.

Appearance : Pale straw golden body, mostly transparent. The head is nice on this beer, and stays around awhile. I'm measuring two fingers, and eventually it dwindles down to a very foamy ring. Delicate and sparse lacing on the sides of the glass.

Aroma : Like any typical miller off-brand lager. Much like Milwaukee's Best. Lots of corn, chemical, clean water, faint hop leaf, skunk.

Taste : It's actually not bad. A light baked grain flavor hits first, followed by some faint vegetal hop, and ends crisp and a little bready with biscuit and crust. It leaves a dried pilsner flavor on the palate.

Mouthfeel : Light bodied, very carbonated, ends slightly pasty and dry.

Overall : For $3.99 it's a decent beer. I wouldn't spend much more than that on it though. At this point to me it's better than High Life. It's got some toasted bread crust flavors and I like that. Try it, you might just like it.

4.84/5  rDev +140.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When the ancient Babylonians first conceived of alcohol they could scarcely have conceived that craft brew would reach such heights. In a word, Red Dog is magnificent. Cosmopolitan yet accessible. Pedestrian but somehow suave. Red Dog is the great equalizer, taking the complex flavor and exquisite texture of an expensive craft Beer but offering it a price point that puts it firmly in reach of the average 8th grader. If you drink no other beer before you die, drink a Red Dog.

What's there to say about this?

1.06/5  rDev -47.3%

An absolute bottom of the barrel beer.

1.5/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Great stuff when you're eighteen and working up the courage to feel up your girlfriend for the first time. Sub-turpentine.

1.25/5  rDev -37.8%

probably unrelated?; but I had to poop pretty bad after drinking this.

1.75/5  rDev -12.9%

Look at the "Red Dog" upside down. It looks like Batman eating (I'm not sure the rules of this website) a girls vagina.

1.96/5  rDev -2.5%

12 fl oz. can, with best by date September 15, 2014 printed on the bottom of the can. Gifted to me from a friend, who acquired it as part of the 30 rack. Another brew from the bottom of the barrel from Miller Brewing Co. Expectations are beyond awful.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - It pours the usual typical clear piss water straw color. Two to three fingers of bubbly white head with an aggressive pour that dies down to nothing quickly. No lacing. Doesn't look like much, doesn't look terrible; it is what it is. 2.5

S - The smell is virtually nothing. Cooked cereal grains and malty adjuncts with a mild hint of solventy alcohol.

T - The taste is the same - cooked grains / corn / adjuncts. The typical generic shitty beer taste going on here. Some syrupy / sugary / honey type sweetness. Indistinguishable from any of the other cheap adjunct ridden beers I've had in recent memory. 1.5

M - The feel is smooth, I suppose, with a bit of a rought / coarse / crisp carbonation. 2.5

Overall, like I said it is nearly indistinguishable from the rest of the swill. If I was given this and a Miller Lite together and tasted them blind, I might have a hard time telling which was which. Drink it if you've got it, I guess.

Red Dog -----2/5.

2.04/5  rDev +1.5%

Ah, Red Dog. The beer my parents used to bribe me and my friends with to help clean up the cottage and yard when opening it up for the summer. Maybe its just good memories, but I don’t think it is that bad. Not much flavor at all, very watery, but nothing bad in the taste either. Either way, the only reason for me to ever drink it again would be to relive some old memories with some old friends.

1.25/5  rDev -37.8%

A trip down memory lane in the worst way. The beer pours a near clear yellow with a fizzy head. The smell is metallic with some rice smells coming through. Taste was the same. I remember it as one of the first beers I ever had and almost turned me away from beer as a whole. Not good by any stretch but it was interesting to relive this one.

It's a nostalgic experience for me. It was the very first beer that got me drunk as a senior in high school. I also remember the commercials and swag from the mid-90's. It's my go-to beer for just wanted to drink one after another when working in the garage or in the yard.

Red Dog. I didn't even drink this when I was in college. I wouldn't drink this if I was that guy from 127 hours. This is worse than any beer (including malt liquor). I have ever had. By a wide margin. And I have drank a lot of awful beers. I would rather siphon (and drink) the oil from my lawnmower than taste this "beer" again. It is not safe for human consumption. It is not safe for rat consumption. You may use it to kill the weeds in your yard that survive other products advertised for such purposes which fail to work.

My story with Red Dog began a long while ago. It was a typical morning and I was headed to my local liquor store here in Rice Lake, WI, where I was planning on purchasing my usual 24 ounce miller lite. I had brought exact change to buy the Miller, but to my dismay, there had been a sudden increase in price of Miller and I no longer had enough for it. Because of this, I was forced to settle for a less expensive beer, and quickly took a Red Dog out of the cooler instead. I was disappointed while leaving the liquor store, but my sadness was quickly alleviated when I took my first sip of Red Dog. I found both its flavor and smoothness to be uncommon. Since then, I have not bought any other kind of beer. Red Dog's flavor is bold, yet smooth, and takes the edge off of a stressful morning at work. Red Dog is a beer that pairs perfectly with a nice carton of Marlboros and in my experience is best enjoyed early in the morning (around 8am). Red Dog is an overall flawless beer that perfectly embodies all qualities that an American stout should want to present.

1.69/5  rDev -15.9%

Drank from can after shoveling my driveway. Threw can at snowplow.

Appearance-Stayed in the can for a reason. Handy 30 pack for destroying whatever clear vision you had prior to entering 7-11. Remember to play "rotate the can and tell me what you see" Hint: Involves Batman.

Smell-High school locker room, with hints of prom-night corsage. Some claim ether like notes, but that is probably from trip to ER from finishing 30 pack.

Taste-Beer. Notes of beer. Belches 100% AAL.

Mouthfeel-Definitely wet, slight antiseptic finish is indicative of what lies ahead come morning. Finish the 30 pack and you will know what it feels like after the kidnappers rip the duct tape off their victims.

Overall-Other than attending your 20 year reunion to see if your old girlfriend got fat…what were you thinking when you asked for this. The bartender might just be someone you stuffed into a locker back in high school, otherwise he wouldn't have served you this.

2.77/5  rDev +37.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

24 oz. can poured into a coke glass.

A - Light gold & clear

S - Corn, grain, metal

T - Corn, grain, some hops and a slightly stale aftertaste

M - Medium to light

O - It's crisp and nicely carbonated. Little bit of hops. There's a hint of mustiness at the end that keeps me from giving a definitive endorsement. An above average chugging brew for the price.

3.3/5  rDev +64.2%

This is a great budget beer and one that I truly enjoy to have from time to time. In Indianapolis a 30 pack is around $15, and it is much better than some beers at the same price. For 50 cents a beer, it is an A plus. For beer overall, I would give Red Dog a solid B. It is a very good and refreshing CHEAP AAL.

2.52/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I mean i cant really complain at $11.06 for a 30 pack here in wisconsin The appearance is your old regular american adjunct lager, the smell is questionable on what the hell am i drinking, the taste is bold but cheap in flavors. Its a adjunct lager folks made of knock off products, id stick with Icehouse its big brother from the ficticious "plank road brewery".

This beer is exactly what you would expect, so for the price I'm rating it a 3 because for 10 bucks a 30-pack, I don't think one should be all that judgmental. This is the beer I buy for large parties to sell to new drinkers. It's not anything close to tasty, but it goes down easy and gets you drunk after enough of them. If you view it for what it is, Red Dog is a perfectly acceptable bottom shelf beer.

Edit: After pounding a few, I reaffirm my previous review. For an adjunct, I'd give it a not bad

1.94/5  rDev -3.5%

24oz can purchased at a gas station for 99 cents.

A: Pours light yellow with a huge fizzy, bright white head that quickly faded into a thin film.
S: Crackery cereal grains, lager yeast, dry, slight black pepper. Not much.
T: Watery bleh. Nothing much to taste, even less so than normal for this style of beer. Some sweet malts, faint adjuncts, cereal grains and peppery lager yeast. Pretty boring.
M: Super light body, super water mouthfeel, fizzy carbonation.
O: Like slightly flavored water. Pretty plane and bland. Not worth the dollar.

2.81/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bright gold lager with a thin, sudsy head that disappears right away. It's a little on the pale side, looking more like a light lager. Aroma of sugary grain with a faint musty scent. Dry corn and grain flavor with a metallic aftertaste. I used to love this stuff back in the 90s, but it doesn't do it for me anymore. I wonder if this is even the same beer. I remember it being darker.

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.