2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
Ratings: 530 | Reviews: 168 | Show All Ratings:
cjnuxoll

4.65/5  rDev +126.8%

i like cheap beers, and this one is near perfect. crisp and refreshing, with a light, wheaty flavor and very refreshing. i know that by beer drinker's standards this is not a high quality item, but that's what i like. it's mild and not at all overpowering. very drinkable. i'm not one to savor the event of drinking a beer - this is one you can guzzle and consume mass quantities without it going to your head or feeling full and bloated. in my opinion, almost the perfect beer.

04-03-2013 03:27:59 | More by cjnuxoll
HeyBeerSnobFU

4.4/5  rDev +114.6%

Ignore the beer snobs that trash this beer, their uber sophisticated palletes will never be able to appreciate the awesomeness of this beer. This beer won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival last year for a reason, it's one of the best American adjunct lagers on the planet. This beer pours from the can looking like liquid gold. The smell would probably bring Bob Mckenzie to his knees. It tastes like God just gave me a golden shower. Overall this is one of the easiest drinking beers ever created and should be a constant in everyones beer rotation. Good luck finding a better beer for the price, because it isn't about to happen.

10-03-2012 06:42:44 | More by HeyBeerSnobFU
jasonjlewis

4.03/5  rDev +96.6%

This beer is fairly decent. I like it a lot. A plus is that it's really cheap. It is failry smooth. Has a bite to it too. Don't think it's bad at all. Don't know why people think it's so bad. The smell of the beer amazed me for an american macro lager. Very nice. It's worth a try.

04-17-2006 07:01:52 | More by jasonjlewis
BuckettOfBeer

3.95/5  rDev +92.7%

Just wanted give this a go because I got a good laugh out of the review below me by HeyBeerSnobFU. I can't tell if he's totally joking, but I think it's mostly truth behind the review. It's certainly not the best light lager in the world but when comparing beers at a similar price , it is unmatched. Just good ol' grainy fizzy yellow beer. For macro lagers sometimes "not that bad" means a lot.

I would be lying if I said I don't get nostalgic whenever I pound a few cans. Just look at the badass packaging. Also I was just in Madison a couple of weekends ago where I saw a place selling a 30 pack for $10.99. God bless America!

11-04-2012 00:09:15 | More by BuckettOfBeer
outlawstar102

3.93/5  rDev +91.7%

I think this beer is unfairly bashed. When I judge beers, i factor in how much i paid for it, and honestly, when i can get a 30 pack of cans for $12 or a 12pk of bottles for $6, i am not expecting an amazing beer. When compared to all the other cheap beers: Milwaukee's Best, Busch Light, Keystone, etc. It is definitely the best out of all of them. It is not my favorite beer, but when money is an issue, or if it is the only thing to drink, i would not be upset. I really do think it is a pretty good beer.

08-03-2011 21:19:58 | More by outlawstar102
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.88/5  rDev +89.3%

For the price this one often goes for, it's a damn good beer. I purchased these 6-packs of 16 oz. cans for $2.99 each (that's $11.96/case) in December, 2009.

This beer has a standard thick head and golden, bubbly appearance. It has the stereotypical American style lager smell. The taste is very good and quite similar to others in it's genre (think beer). Mouthfeel is watery and light. Red Dog has the bite one expects from this style. Overall, I have to rate this as a very fine beer. It's as good, if not better, than other higher-priced beers in its class (Budweiser, MGD, Coors). That being the case, why not purchase this and save a bundle? Red Dog definitely holds its own against the others. I've always had a lot of respect for this one.

RJT

12-30-2009 01:20:08 | More by RonaldTheriot
tmiller7

3.65/5  rDev +78%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have become quite fond of this beer, especially for a an American lager. It has, by far, a superior taste to other lagers and it actually taste decent for a cheap beer. I find myself drinking this more and more as is it doesn't break budgets and it gets the job done. It's appearance isn't anything special and the smell can be misleading at times, but drink this bad boy out of a 32 and I'm sure you will find yourself growing on this brew.

07-27-2009 06:23:03 | More by tmiller7
nekronos

Mexico

3.63/5  rDev +77.1%

Well, I expected more from this beer, since I wanted to try it in 1999, and just this year I was able to do it. Very pale, almost green, the beer, foam as a lager, but just a few. But what is great is, the dog, actually it looks like welcoming you and like showing you a bottle of the beerm but below the picture.

10-24-2005 14:30:38 | More by nekronos
critterbug

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev +77.1%

When I was just getting into drinking as a kid (21) this was the first one I tried that I actually LIKED. Twelve years later I still like it. It gets a bad rap by some people. But the taste is good, a little bitter with mild bite to it. Good amount of carbination makes it feel good going down...

Im not an expert at reviewing beer, but I have tried alot of beers over the years expensive craft beers and cheap kegger party 30 packs (which is I suppose where Red Dog fits in now). Red Dog is a damn good beer at a good price. Reminds me alot of Budweiser, so if you like Bud you should like this.

10-17-2009 20:14:59 | More by critterbug
tesguino

Mexico

3.5/5  rDev +70.7%

A new beer can in my country, specifically in my city, little better than its other presentation glass bottle, made by miller, a strong american brewer in my country, i think best than A&B in market participation, a 32 oz beer, like "Caguama", i drink in a pilsner glass, its taste is like crusehd hops, little of malt liquour reminicense, poor color, pale yellow, poor lacing, good for the mexican food, 70% recommended.

08-08-2006 14:28:21 | More by tesguino
matty

3.5/5  rDev +70.7%

Yellow colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma and taste are the normal macro ingredients.This beer is fresh and pretty drinkable.I imagine this is at it's best during the hot summer months when it's ice cold.I would recommend and would purchase again.

11-29-2010 14:47:42 | More by matty
Kwak

3.45/5  rDev +68.3%

Red Dog not red at all!
Head : Small pale empty flavor.
Body : Clear yellow almost white color good carbonation.
Taste : Small hopps light malt ,Taste like verry good M G D thoe I don't know where they get the red fome this is almost clear.

Not bad to drink one of millers best!

11-25-2002 22:23:26 | More by Kwak
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.43/5  rDev +67.3%

Number two of the three macro cans I went through tonight. Not really sure why I decided to go for all of these tonight but it was fun none the less. Served ice cold and poured into a pint glass, it was consumed on 10/28/2009.

The pour was bit darker then the straw color I was expecting but again I would not really say it was anything really to write home about, but the fizzy white head did decide to hang out a little bit longer then I thought it would have. Nice even aroma here, light corn again and loads of grain but nothing really terrible or off putting about it at all. I took the first sip and I was really quite shocked. Nice caramel malts here and a decent shot of light grain flavor. Not bad. I have to admit, one of the better lagers I have had recently. Clean finish and virtually no aftertaste at all left me with a totally clean taste on the palate and a light and crisp refreshing taste. I have to admit I would probably drink this one again, can't believe I am saying that but I honestly think I would.

10-29-2009 21:53:01 | More by mikesgroove
GNR4life2

3.33/5  rDev +62.4%

Red Dog! I can drink this all night and still wake up with no hang over whats so ever except a little cotton mouth but thats easily cured with a glass of water. This is my go to beer when I am dead broke and wanna get piss poor drunk.

A:very very yellow

S: Very hoppy and corn scent

T: I tasted a lot of corn and hops. Its one of those beers that no matter how fast you drink or how much you drink you will never get sick.

M: Crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation.

D: If given a case I could drink it all day, especially on a hot day. Good and cheap, can't complain!

07-09-2010 01:17:29 | More by GNR4life2
drose23

Indiana

3.33/5  rDev +62.4%

This is a great budget beer and one that I truly enjoy to have from time to time. In Indianapolis a 30 pack is around $15, and it is much better than some beers at the same price. For 50 cents a beer, it is an A plus. For beer overall, I would give Red Dog a solid B. It is a very good and refreshing CHEAP AAL.

01-22-2014 02:46:34 | More by drose23
tang214

3.3/5  rDev +61%

This is not an excellent beer, but I do enjoy it quite a bit. The appearance is a rather bland golden color. The smell is just average but the taste, in my opinion, is much better than the other American produced macro-brews. That is the main reason why I drink it, plus the price makes it a great buy. It is a little corny, with minimal hops, but decently malty. This is the only beer I get when I am feeling poor. The mouthfeel is a little over carbonated but thats easy to look past since it is so easy to drink otherwise. Plus the caps are cool too. I didn't notice them until just recently, when I bought a couple of sixers, because normally I just buy the 32oz'ers because I can get them for just dollar and a quarter.

11-25-2002 18:05:21 | More by tang214
cbill

3.23/5  rDev +57.6%

this is my absolute favorite of the cheap american beers. pale yellow in color, rarely retains a head and smells like preservatives, but it goes down the best of any of them. slight sweetness in taste which fades quickly and leaves little to no aftertaste. easy to drink, nice inwarm weather with a lime. i always have this in my fridge for my cheap beer.

11-21-2003 14:03:31 | More by cbill
JamesMN

3.23/5  rDev +57.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Date on bottle of 7/8/13.

Appearance: The sort of light honey color of weak iced tea with visible effervescence and the kind of impeccable clarity you expect for the style. Thin cap of white head fizzling away on top.

Aroma: Classic adjunct nose with that slight skunk and empty corn can musk. Not revolting but not enticing.

Taste: Usually at this point in a review I remark on the different flavors and intricacies due to the complexity of the brew. With Red Dog I find myself at a bit of a loss because there really isn't any flavor. It's like soda water thats had creamed corn and a pinch of yeast added to it… yet it's oddly enjoyable. The finish is surprisingly smooth and there is a lack of any aftertaste. Can't believe it's 5% ABV because it seems like it could be so much lower.

Mouthfeel: Thin in body but not watery (no idea how that's possible). Lively carbonation that gives it a refreshing quality. Highly drinkable and easily sessionable at a BBQ or during other outdoor social gatherings.

Final Thoughts: I've never had Red Dog before and only tried it now because one was left in my fridge. I couldn't find any off-flavors, only a refreshing brew that caught me by surprise. I think it sells for something like $10 a 30-pack. Probably go good with a lime. Would I drink it again? Drink it, yes. Buy it, unlikely.

06-17-2013 02:23:23 | More by JamesMN
jayw414

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I decided to review this beer, mainly for nostalgiac reasons.

This is definitely a "college beer"; still available for under $13 for a 30-pack. It was our beer of choice for Beer Pong; the greatest sport ever conceived. It brings me back just to think about those gorgeous silver cans from the Plank Road Brewery.

The reason we chose this beer (time and time and time again) is because it actually was a step above the other domestic macros that are out there... It has a mild aroma; mostly corn; thin body; and a yellow-to-amber color. It does have a decent flavor (nothing to write a review on the Internet about, but I digress), and it doesn't seem to get bitter when it warms like MGD & Bud.

Certainly a decent choice for (a) an emergency beer in the event of a pickup game of Beer Pong, (b) an emergency beer in the event that your last two paychecks bounced, and (c) an emergency beer in the event that a spontaneous Buffalo wing eating contest breaks out.

Beyond the above contingencies, look elsewhere on this site for better choices.

06-27-2007 06:47:49 | More by jayw414
kguyty

Missouri

3.18/5  rDev +55.1%

Appearance: Pours a nice golden/clear yellow. The head fizzes and quickly disappears with a faint ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Corny and sweet with a faint tinge of hops.

Taste: Not bad, not bad... corny and sweet, just like the smell... I would compare it to Budweiser.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing - a little heavy, but not too heavy.

Drinkability: I do not really think that I will drink this all of the time, but I must say that after mowing the grass last week this beer tasted damn fine... a good lawnmower/hot summer day beer.

05-03-2008 03:44:47 | More by kguyty
RossPeterson

3.18/5  rDev +55.1%

First review, figured I should do it on my most recent beer I had, and I gotta say, this is probably the number one on what I call my "Shit beer list." For just a few bucks and to get this kind of beer, going in with low expectations, it isn't bad.

A: Pale straw color. Impressive 4-finger head with little retention.

S: The weak point; musty and corny. Not awful smelling, but certainly not appealing.

T: Decent amount of hops with a stale corn after-taste, but if you're chugging it, it doesn't really matter.

M: Extremely light, but in terms of an adjunct, better than most.

O: Best "Shit beer." If I need beer and I got a few bucks, my money is on this.

12-20-2011 08:46:34 | More by RossPeterson
NeroFiddled

3.15/5  rDev +53.7%

Red Dog delivers a crystal-clear yellow body and short-lived head of bright white. Standard-sized bubbles rise quickly. Some yeasty sulphur resides in the aroma with a bit of sweetish, adjunct-laden malt. In the mouth it's medium-bodied and crisply effervescent. Sweetish, lightly corny-like malt dominates the flavor. Some yeasty sulphur comes through as well, and there's a smear of leafy hop flavor in the background. Restrained bitterness. A clean, easy-drinking American lager with a touch more malt and body than usual.

01-13-2007 06:10:35 | More by NeroFiddled
generallee

3.15/5  rDev +53.7%

I poured this one from a 16oz can into a pint glass. The color was a very pale yellow. [The dog is red not the beer] It formed a small head that quickly faded out. Red Dog has a light malt smell of cornflakes and hay. The palate is light and thin with light cereal like malt favor. At a little over three bucks for a six-pack of 16oz cans this one is good if you are really low on cash. It's also good at putting out the fire of an extra hot taco. Ha ha.

04-26-2008 15:31:17 | More by generallee
ElCommodoro

3.15/5  rDev +53.7%

Looks like an adjunct lager. Smells like an adjunct lager with an extra metallic smell.
The taste is quite unique though, I find. It's got an odd sweetness to it that I don't like. Normally, I have no problem with sweetness. But this is a strange type of sweet like it had a packet of artificial sweetener poured into what was otherwise a bland, dry beer. It's not terrible. It's probably a wee bit better than Budweiser, but there are better beers in this price range. Old Milwaukee is what I'll be sticking with. Much better than this garbage.

05-16-2012 06:27:48 | More by ElCommodoro
JoeyBeerBelly

3.1/5  rDev +51.2%

24oz can (99 cents), served in a frosted pint glass.

A - golden color with a small white head that completely went away after a few minutes.

S - grainy malt aroma.

T - light malty flavor with a slight bitterness on the finish.

M - light bodied with ok carbonation feel.

D - easy enough to drink a few of these, but it tastes much better in a glass than it does from the can.

Final Note: it is what it is and IMO this beer's flavor beats the same style beers at the same price (Coors, Keystone & Icehouse).

04-06-2008 23:24:32 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.