Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
andreww11

11-04-2012 00:21:46 | More by andreww11
Reddogelite

07-21-2014 19:10:22 | More by Reddogelite
BeerIsGood88

01-29-2012 18:41:50 | More by BeerIsGood88
reddogman1776

Wisconsin

My story with Red Dog began a long while ago. It was a typical morning and I was headed to my local liquor store here in Rice Lake, WI, where I was planning on purchasing my usual 24 ounce miller lite. I had brought exact change to buy the Miller, but to my dismay, there had been a sudden increase in price of Miller and I no longer had enough for it. Because of this, I was forced to settle for a less expensive beer, and quickly took a Red Dog out of the cooler instead. I was disappointed while leaving the liquor store, but my sadness was quickly alleviated when I took my first sip of Red Dog. I found both its flavor and smoothness to be uncommon. Since then, I have not bought any other kind of beer. Red Dog's flavor is bold, yet smooth, and takes the edge off of a stressful morning at work. Red Dog is a beer that pairs perfectly with a nice carton of Marlboros and in my experience is best enjoyed early in the morning (around 8am). Red Dog is an overall flawless beer that perfectly embodies all qualities that an American stout should want to present.

07-16-2014 18:08:50 | More by reddogman1776
brewdog13

Indiana

12-07-2011 18:03:29 | More by brewdog13
cjnuxoll

4.65/5  rDev +129.1%

i like cheap beers, and this one is near perfect. crisp and refreshing, with a light, wheaty flavor and very refreshing. i know that by beer drinker's standards this is not a high quality item, but that's what i like. it's mild and not at all overpowering. very drinkable. i'm not one to savor the event of drinking a beer - this is one you can guzzle and consume mass quantities without it going to your head or feeling full and bloated. in my opinion, almost the perfect beer.

04-03-2013 03:27:59 | More by cjnuxoll
HeyBeerSnobFU

4.4/5  rDev +116.7%

Ignore the beer snobs that trash this beer, their uber sophisticated palletes will never be able to appreciate the awesomeness of this beer. This beer won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival last year for a reason, it's one of the best American adjunct lagers on the planet. This beer pours from the can looking like liquid gold. The smell would probably bring Bob Mckenzie to his knees. It tastes like God just gave me a golden shower. Overall this is one of the easiest drinking beers ever created and should be a constant in everyones beer rotation. Good luck finding a better beer for the price, because it isn't about to happen.

10-03-2012 06:42:44 | More by HeyBeerSnobFU
lswilma

4.25/5  rDev +109.4%

03-04-2014 01:04:13 | More by lswilma
jasonjlewis

4.03/5  rDev +98.5%

This beer is fairly decent. I like it a lot. A plus is that it's really cheap. It is failry smooth. Has a bite to it too. Don't think it's bad at all. Don't know why people think it's so bad. The smell of the beer amazed me for an american macro lager. Very nice. It's worth a try.

04-17-2006 07:01:52 | More by jasonjlewis

Tennessee

03-11-2014 22:31:39 | More by JaxVol
BuckettOfBeer

3.95/5  rDev +94.6%

Just wanted give this a go because I got a good laugh out of the review below me by HeyBeerSnobFU. I can't tell if he's totally joking, but I think it's mostly truth behind the review. It's certainly not the best light lager in the world but when comparing beers at a similar price , it is unmatched. Just good ol' grainy fizzy yellow beer. For macro lagers sometimes "not that bad" means a lot.

I would be lying if I said I don't get nostalgic whenever I pound a few cans. Just look at the badass packaging. Also I was just in Madison a couple of weekends ago where I saw a place selling a 30 pack for $10.99. God bless America!

11-04-2012 00:09:15 | More by BuckettOfBeer
outlawstar102

3.93/5  rDev +93.6%

I think this beer is unfairly bashed. When I judge beers, i factor in how much i paid for it, and honestly, when i can get a 30 pack of cans for $12 or a 12pk of bottles for $6, i am not expecting an amazing beer. When compared to all the other cheap beers: Milwaukee's Best, Busch Light, Keystone, etc. It is definitely the best out of all of them. It is not my favorite beer, but when money is an issue, or if it is the only thing to drink, i would not be upset. I really do think it is a pretty good beer.

08-03-2011 21:19:58 | More by outlawstar102
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.88/5  rDev +91.1%

For the price this one often goes for, it's a damn good beer. I purchased these 6-packs of 16 oz. cans for $2.99 each (that's $11.96/case) in December, 2009.

This beer has a standard thick head and golden, bubbly appearance. It has the stereotypical American style lager smell. The taste is very good and quite similar to others in it's genre (think beer). Mouthfeel is watery and light. Red Dog has the bite one expects from this style. Overall, I have to rate this as a very fine beer. It's as good, if not better, than other higher-priced beers in its class (Budweiser, MGD, Coors). That being the case, why not purchase this and save a bundle? Red Dog definitely holds its own against the others. I've always had a lot of respect for this one.

RJT

shacawgo24

07-04-2013 02:00:39 | More by shacawgo24
tmiller7

3.65/5  rDev +79.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have become quite fond of this beer, especially for a an American lager. It has, by far, a superior taste to other lagers and it actually taste decent for a cheap beer. I find myself drinking this more and more as is it doesn't break budgets and it gets the job done. It's appearance isn't anything special and the smell can be misleading at times, but drink this bad boy out of a 32 and I'm sure you will find yourself growing on this brew.

07-27-2009 06:23:03 | More by tmiller7
nekronos

Mexico

3.63/5  rDev +78.8%

Well, I expected more from this beer, since I wanted to try it in 1999, and just this year I was able to do it. Very pale, almost green, the beer, foam as a lager, but just a few. But what is great is, the dog, actually it looks like welcoming you and like showing you a bottle of the beerm but below the picture.

10-24-2005 14:30:38 | More by nekronos
critterbug

3.63/5  rDev +78.8%

When I was just getting into drinking as a kid (21) this was the first one I tried that I actually LIKED. Twelve years later I still like it. It gets a bad rap by some people. But the taste is good, a little bitter with mild bite to it. Good amount of carbination makes it feel good going down...

Im not an expert at reviewing beer, but I have tried alot of beers over the years expensive craft beers and cheap kegger party 30 packs (which is I suppose where Red Dog fits in now). Red Dog is a damn good beer at a good price. Reminds me alot of Budweiser, so if you like Bud you should like this.

10-17-2009 20:14:59 | More by critterbug
Mudawg

02-29-2012 22:58:36 | More by Mudawg
cmbeddoe7997

06-24-2014 01:38:19 | More by cmbeddoe7997
CGMLS3

12-21-2011 01:08:12 | More by CGMLS3
Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.