Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros

Red Dog. I didn't even drink this when I was in college. I wouldn't drink this if I was that guy from 127 hours. This is worse than any beer (including malt liquor). I have ever had. By a wide margin. And I have drank a lot of awful beers. I would rather siphon (and drink) the oil from my lawnmower than taste this "beer" again. It is not safe for human consumption. It is not safe for rat consumption. You may use it to kill the weeds in your yard that survive other products advertised for such purposes which fail to work.

1.03/5  rDev -53.4%

awful, dull, soggy, rubbery tasting beer here
I guess it wants to be "Malt Liquor" when it grows up, but for now it tastes like puree of canned green beans and vodka.
"Uncommonly Smooth" means "flacid" or "limp" or "mushy" to me. Spun sugar watery glazed blah!
Avoid at all costs.

1.03/5  rDev -53.4%

I actually went and got a six pack of this stuff to give it a fair chance. I figured it had a nice puppy on the front and was being sold along with Old Mil and Mickey's, how bad could it be??

So I can't believe I am reviewing this beer but I am. Pale color, smells like burnt corn, tastes like corn and has the carbonation of a bad soda. Mouthfeel = water. HOLY BITE ON IT! You take a sip and this one kicks you right back in the mouth in an unpleasant way. It fizzes like soda.

On par with Old Milwaukee. Still, this is one for if you just want to get really trashed and don't care about beer at all. If you want a bit of alcohol in water then here's your beer.

It actually smelled a bit like homeless people.

Reviewed from notes.

Pale yellow color with a white foamy head with poor retention. Smells of cooked corn, and tastes like it too. Very unappealing on many different levels. Over carbonated, extremely watery, and a poor excuse for beer. I will try anything once, but this will not get a second chance.

1.06/5  rDev -52%

I have always been curious about this interesting looking can of beer. However, one can has answered all curiosity. Pours a watery amber with a bubbly white head. Nose is of old cut grass and stale grains. Taste is bitter and a tad harsh. Thin body over carbonated.

1.08/5  rDev -51.1%

Pours a light clear yellow with visible carbonation and a small head. The head goes away very quickly. The smell is of some malt and metal, the smell is a little stale. The taste is very bitter, but not hops bitter, just bitter and metalic. There is maybe a hint of grain. The mouthfeel is carbonated moderately and watery. Overall you would not drink more than one of these.

1.08/5  rDev -51.1%

Words can't describe this beer, but I'll try. It is bitter and painfully bitter, almost sour. It is watery and tastes like corn. There is nothing remotely hoppy about it. It hardly tastes like any other beer i've had. The mouthfeel is watery and heavier than it should be for an American Macro Lager. I don't think I'll ever have another Red Dog.

1.1/5  rDev -50.2%

This beer is alot like Eliot Ness: Untouchable. In the world of beers this dog is at the bottom of the barrel. It is beer... that is the best thing I can say about it. Very few brews are this bad. I just don't think it tastes good at all, or smells good... well I have said enough. There are so many better beers.

1.1/5  rDev -50.2%

First had: bottle from a friend's fridge somewhere, sometime

General adjunct lager by Miller, under the guise of something else. Pours a pale, straw-yellow, fizzy, with a thin, bubbly head that recedes to just about nothing. Aroma of pale malts, grains, and light indistinct hops. Taste of beer juice. Light mouthfeel, fizzy and weak, not flavorful at all, but goes down like water, if you want to get wasted that way.

FRESH: yes
PURCHASED @: anywhere
COST: cheap
HEAD: none
LACE: none
COLOR:pale yellow
AROMA: metallic urine
COMMENTS: Another BMC, but with a little character. Why are they allowed to put "Premium" on the bottle?!

1.1/5  rDev -50.2%

from the 22. cheaper to buy this than a 12oz. poured a yello with a white head. aroma metallic, corn, straw,hints of malt and hops. flavor, corn husks, wheat, light malts and hops. the only reason I bought this that bieristgut said I should rate this I’ll get even with him

1.15/5  rDev -48%

Is there anything lower than awful for taste? There should be in Red Dog's case. I am still shocked to see this around every once in awhile. Who drinks this?

After one beer I can't see how you could want another. There are plenty better cheap beers out there.

1.2/5  rDev -45.7%

Presentation: 12oz brown glass US-generic longneck bottle, red and brown on white label

Appearance: pale yellow color, medium head, a little lacing

Smell: sweet malt, grain

Taste: medium body, watery mouthfeel, grainy, minimal maltiness and hops

Notes: not a good one

1.25/5  rDev -43.4%

A trip down memory lane in the worst way. The beer pours a near clear yellow with a fizzy head. The smell is metallic with some rice smells coming through. Taste was the same. I remember it as one of the first beers I ever had and almost turned me away from beer as a whole. Not good by any stretch but it was interesting to relive this one.

1.26/5  rDev -43%

Reviewed on 5/21/08. Can. Light amber and very carbonated, typical appearance of a pale lager. For a beirut/beer pong beer, it's better than Bud Light or similar beers, a little smoother to drink and less skunky and watery, but else can I say? I drank a few too many of these and had a pretty bad night, so I don't have fond memories of this beer at all, to say the least!
1/2/1/1/3 (0.8/5)

1.35/5  rDev -38.9%

Not red at all in color, more of a light yellow. I didn't expect much taste from this, and what I got was not pleasant. The small hop flavor isn't enough to save this beer. The quality reminds me of Armour Potted Meat Food Product with "partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue," a step below spam. I dumped out about half this beer and grabbed the only other beverage at the party...an alcopop. It wasn't a good night for drinking.

1.39/5  rDev -37.1%

I really tried hard to come up with a raison d'etre for this one. I bought it thinking it might be somewhat red, but it poured out of the bottle the usual piss-yellow cheap lager color. No smell whatsoever. Tastes just like what it is, a cheap generic lager. I'm impressed. I didn't think "Plank Road" could come up with something even less interesting than Icehouse. Good shot, Miller!

1.46/5  rDev -33.9%

A: Straw colored.

S: Terrible. Possibly the worst smelling beer with an odor that smells musty and like corn.

T: Fairly hoppy, unexpectedly, for this type of beer. After slight hops diminish it has no real taste except for a slight hint of fermented stale corn.

M: Light and watery. Disappears from palate very quickly.

O: Avoid. Bad, cheap beer that I got for free. Would never buy, as it has no quality taste and smell is awful.

1.46/5  rDev -33.9%

Keeping with my American tour of Macro's I picked up some red dog from miller brewing. I'm in search of the finest from our big brewing monopolies and this one I hope is not it.

Golden in color very similar to its sister macro lagers. Has an off type smell ....this is a fresh sample. seems skunky but this is how I remember it so I doubt every sample I've tried is oxidized. Tons of medium to large sized carbonation give it a bit of a sizzly mouth.

What you would expect. Maybe a touch more malt presence than usual in this style. Ehhh this could be the last time I confront the red dog.

1.47/5  rDev -33.5%

The mighty Red Dog. It's never bad when it's free. It pours the typical golden macro color and has no head. The aroma is bitter, a chemical bitter so it is wise not to smell it before you drink it. The bland corn flavor is not terrible when ice cold, but can become quite gross if allowed to warm up. This is not the worst beer made, but it is by no means worth drinking if MGD or Bud is available.

1.47/5  rDev -33.5%

It looks fine. No smell, fine. Tastes pretty horrid and leaves you feeling like you sucked on dish-water. I can't believe it was that popular back in college.

1.5/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Golden colored with hardly any head or lace. It's actually a pretty bad beer. The aroma is a musty foul smell with the taste not much better. There really is no flavor, other than the musty wheat taste with a tough to get down finish. Something I'd have considered in College. No surprise that it is brewed by Miller...

1.53/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pale straw color, lots of head when poured, but disappears very quickly, not much lace, quite carbonated. Aroma of cooked vegetables and faint malt. Flavor is not very pleasing, subdued hints of malt, grain and hops with an aftertaste that is strikingly like soap. This is simply not a very good beer. For the price point that this beer sells for, Miller High Life is a much better choice.

1.55/5  rDev -29.9%

When at a party (to a slight degree) you must do as the party-goers do. While my friends have accepted the fact that i'll more than likely bring a sixer to their house with proper glassware in tow, acquaintances and strangers still wonder what the hell i'm doing.

So this particular night I decide to go cheap and drink whatevers being served. And it was the wonderously horrible "beer" Red Dog. From the can.

Basically this is a ghost of a beer - the pale appearance is almost eerily white when compared even to Budweiser. There are so many adjuncts on the nose you don't know if you're sniffing the glass or the beer.

The mouthfeel is pithy and watery. I can't even really taste anything going on here but adjuncts.

When it got warmer major rice or corn flavors appeared. Thumbs down.

1.56/5  rDev -29.4%

Just an awful brew. I can't believe I used to drink this stuff. In my defense, I only drank it for a quick buzz, which is for all intensive purposes the only reason to actually buy it.

The smell and taste are just plain awful. I smells like cardboard and water. At least there is a noticeable amount of carbonation.

This brew isn't all that drinkable either. Considering there are hundreds of other macro's that would be easier to drink, this is not a good choice under any circumstances. I do, however, remember it being $12 bucks a case, which for the college kid on a budget, isn't all that bad.

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.