Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
1.88/5  rDev -21.3%

This review is part of Macro Smackdown VI, my ongoing attempt to make the consumption of macro lagers more interesting. This edition pits Red Dog against Michelob in a no-holds-barred grudge match between two of the Big Three. Miller has attempted to give this beer some cachet by putting Plank Road Brewery on the can instead of SABMiller. Same old dreck in new clothing or good beer? Let's find out...

Medium amber with slightly more vigorous carbonation. I like the color of this beer better since it's darker and richer looking, but the head is a mess. It's a ghastly shade of grey with a mealy texture, falls to near nothing in minutes and leaves the glass clean. Red Dog has the slight edge on color, although it's more than wiped out by the miserable looking cap. Advantage: Michelob.

The nose is below average, even when taking style into account. The graininess borders on spoiled and there's no hint of hops. I can also appreciate an underlying, chemical-like nastiness that can't be ignored... and is the reason why Michelob wins this round.

Given the smell, I was expecting the full monty of foulness from Red Dog. To its credit, that isn't the case. It's as grainy as its competitor, but is less harsh. It's also a little sweeter (as are many Miller beers), which makes me like it a bit more. Not sweet in the corn syrupy malt liquor sense, but still modestly sweet. Edge to RD in the most important category of all.

The mouthfeel is light and is enthusiastically bubbled. That makes it more interesting in the mouth, even as the flavor is supremely uninteresting.

I'm not sure how the final tally will come out since I haven't put in the scores yet, but the only score that really matters to me is taste. In the end, Red Dog is the slight winner over the more highly heralded Michelob Lager. I could drink a can or two of this stuff if I absolutely had too. Ice cold and accompanied by tongue-numbing spicy food ideally. (1,949 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -54.8%

Words can't describe this beer, but I'll try. It is bitter and painfully bitter, almost sour. It is watery and tastes like corn. There is nothing remotely hoppy about it. It hardly tastes like any other beer i've had. The mouthfeel is watery and heavier than it should be for an American Macro Lager. I don't think I'll ever have another Red Dog. (346 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +40.2%

Number two of the three macro cans I went through tonight. Not really sure why I decided to go for all of these tonight but it was fun none the less. Served ice cold and poured into a pint glass, it was consumed on 10/28/2009.

The pour was bit darker then the straw color I was expecting but again I would not really say it was anything really to write home about, but the fizzy white head did decide to hang out a little bit longer then I thought it would have. Nice even aroma here, light corn again and loads of grain but nothing really terrible or off putting about it at all. I took the first sip and I was really quite shocked. Nice caramel malts here and a decent shot of light grain flavor. Not bad. I have to admit, one of the better lagers I have had recently. Clean finish and virtually no aftertaste at all left me with a totally clean taste on the palate and a light and crisp refreshing taste. I have to admit I would probably drink this one again, can't believe I am saying that but I honestly think I would. (1,028 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Watching some Saints Row, drinkin' some Red Dog. Welcome home, Jonny-Cakes. This stuff pours a clear pale straw topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises corn, light wheat, and a smattering of hard water. The taste brings in more of the same, with the corn coming through sweeter and the water harder. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, given this beer's reputation, I feel it's not all that bad, but it ain't anywhere near good. If I needed a cheap sixpack in some random place, I wouldn't be as completely averse to Red Dog as I would be toward other similar options. (684 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +31.8%

Red Dog delivers a crystal-clear yellow body and short-lived head of bright white. Standard-sized bubbles rise quickly. Some yeasty sulphur resides in the aroma with a bit of sweetish, adjunct-laden malt. In the mouth it's medium-bodied and crisply effervescent. Sweetish, lightly corny-like malt dominates the flavor. Some yeasty sulphur comes through as well, and there's a smear of leafy hop flavor in the background. Restrained bitterness. A clean, easy-drinking American lager with a touch more malt and body than usual. (525 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale yellow color, with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves almost no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains adjuncts, light malts, grain and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with the typical adjunct sweetness that is quickly followed by bready flavors of grain and light malts. The hops presence is as faint as you would expect from this type of beer. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to this beer, mild kick, yet another fizzy yellow beer that is nothing but marketing, marketing, marketing. (804 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -13.8%

Presentation: 12 oz can with a few freshness codes that I was unable to decipher. Brewed by Plank Road Brewery on the label … a.k.a. Miller.

Appearance: Pale yellow with a medium sized bubble head that foams as quick as it dissipates to a thin, almost transparent lace. Clarity is crystal clear.

Smell: Boiled corn with a mildly acrid husk twang and strained malt sweetness in the aroma, grain and cereal grain to smell.

Taste: Moderate bodied with a lost carbonation from the rush during the pouring, most likely this beer is meant to be consumed out of the can. Faint crispness with a watered down malt mouth feel and flavour. Cereal grains leave a marked twang and the sweetness of the malt stays just below cloying. Hop bitterness is minimal and wrenched with the flavour being muted. Oddly the bitterness of the hops stays for a bit while it makes room for a light astringent grain to finish things up.

Notes: Hmm … one of the BIG “red” named beers. Funny thing is that it is not red in colour at all … not even close. You get what you pay for with this one, the taste reminds me of going out to clubs and drinking cheap beer and feeling like crap the next morning. You get the picture right? (1,239 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -54%

First had: bottle from a friend's fridge somewhere, sometime

General adjunct lager by Miller, under the guise of something else. Pours a pale, straw-yellow, fizzy, with a thin, bubbly head that recedes to just about nothing. Aroma of pale malts, grains, and light indistinct hops. Taste of beer juice. Light mouthfeel, fizzy and weak, not flavorful at all, but goes down like water, if you want to get wasted that way. (419 characters)

2.56/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours clear straw yellow with a decent-sized foamy head that fizzles down slowly, leaving minimal trailing lace.

The smell is of cooked veggies and popcorn - mild though. Otherwise, pretty vacant.

The taste is sweet, mild grain and tonic water. Not overly sweet, though, with no detectable hops. Finishes with a touch of sweetness and a watery nothing. Nothing to it, really.

It has a somewhat oily, light body. Not too fizzy for the style, giving it a smoothness in a "chugging" sense.

A bland, mildly sweet cheap beer. It might be alright for a quick refresher when breaking out in a sweat. Not a terrible cheap macro lager, but not good either. Scored for what it is... but - there are so many out there like this it would get lost in a sea of bland cheap macro lagers... (778 characters)

2.41/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a can at Texas Arizona in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation and some yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy bright white head that quickly reduces to a couple of small patches of extremely thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of slightly sweet adjunct malts - rice dominates with slighter amounts of corn and grain. Very light hints of grassy hops.

T: Upfront this beer is slightly sweet with light to moderate flavors of adjunct malts - rice, grain, and then just a hint of corn. Minimal amounts of grassy hops flavors and barely any bitterness.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin but not too watery.

O: I mostly decided to order this one for nostalgia's sake - I remember having this beer when I was in high school/college and before there were a lot of decent craft beers to enjoy. I had no illusion that this was going to be a good beer but honestly it was not as bad as I remembered it. (1,145 characters)

2.55/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a spotty white lace head. The aroma is less than average. It boasts of pale malts, rice, and lager yeast; simply awful. The taste is awful as well. It is light and without flavor. It has zero malt character and finishes with a musty aftertaste; very watered down. The mouthfeel sucks. It is a low bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This was my beer of choice when I was 16, but now I wouldn't drink another if I was paid. (478 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -9.6%

A - completely clear, light yellow with a big, bubbly, white head that has little retention

S - very sweet, grainy, a hint of metal

T - same as the nose; sweet, grainy, metallic

M - light bodied, crisp

When i was in college we bought this for $6 a 12-pack. That was 2001-2003. This is a pretty simplistic, tasteless beer. It's definitely better out of the can. I will avoid this in the future. (397 characters)

What CAN this beer make me say? "Bad Dog!" or "Good Dog!"? I CAN't wait to find out.

A finger of foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the characteristic cereal sweetness so prevalent in the style. Mouthfeel was medium with a good bit of sweetness on the tongue. This was a lot more drinkable than the Genny products that I reviewed earlier, but it was still kinda bland. The finish was lightly sweet, pleasant, but not worth seeking out. Ho hum. Good dog, but now you need to sit and stay. (565 characters)

2.53/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yes, I found this on tap the other night in Denver. Very surprised and would not have usually ordered it, but i had to.
Looks like a Killian's Red without the red. Tinge of pink in the light golden hue. No head.
It was very cold, which hid most of the smell and taste. Picked up some malt, grain and caramel in both. A refreshing drink, but I hesitate to call it a refreshing beer. Nothing special, can't imagine how it is warmer. (432 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a clear standard macrobrew straw yellow.

Smell is nothing much, just some yeast.

Taste is standard macrobrew flavor. Faint traces of grain and hops. I seriously doubt that this beer is brewed and is any different from Miller Regular. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's the same stuff with a different label.

Mouthfeel is a bit better than water.

Drinkable? Well you can swallow it without being poisoned. (425 characters)

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again. I remember when I use to really like this brew. (300 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -5.4%

Bow wow wow yippy yo yippy yea! Rde Doggy Daw-u-dogg! Yeah its a throw back but gots to review it. The Dawg is a typical miller product. Golden clear good carbonation that gives a sudsy white head for a short time. There is no smell beside grain. The taste is typical nothing real notible. The mouthfeel is standard...lawn mower beer! (334 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poued from a 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is sweet, corn and malts. Taste is crisp, corn and finishing slightly bitter. Feels light in the mouth and has pretty good drinkability. Overall this is an average low cost brew. (253 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -12.1%

Looks like white grape juice. Little carbonation is noted and no head is erected. I hate it when no head is erected. Aroma is sweet and corny. That's it. Taste is like a mixture of 3 parts water, 1 part craft brewed lager, with a little corn to add some depth. The body of the beer is actually approaching medium and the carbonation is not overly fizzy as many macros are. Still, this isn't one I'd revisit. Give me a choice of this or water on a hot summer day and I'll drink water all day. (491 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -18%

Amazing clarity, straw yellow, mild head to it. Standard. Industrial metallic bitterness and corn syrup mixed with water from the aroma. Nothing red in appearance about this one.

Hops are present, or something that makes this bitter and tingly. Plenty of corn. Carbonation is high.

Rough aftertaste, flows from bitter to rancid. A very musty taste, like they wanted it to compliment a smoky bar with such an aftertaste. (423 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

From the 12 fl. oz. can no. 02099-C50979. Sampled Jan 30, 2009. Taste buds can be an amazing thing. Either that or I just got a better sample than some of the previous reviewers.

Appearance - Typical golden-yellow like all the other cheaper macros. However my can ended up with about a two inch deep foamy, bubbly head that diminished afoter about 2 minites.

Smell - Better than most. I actually did notice a hint of barley malts. In fact that aroma was more noticeable to me than the usual grassy, corny, and metallic aroma you tend to get in these cheaper macros.

Mouthfeel - Nothing special here. After swirling it around the tongue it breaks down into straight carbonation within seconds.

Taste - A tiny touch of malts in the flavor but it is a bit overpowered by that corny, grassy, metallic taste you get in cheap macros. It finishes dry.

Its commecial description declares that it won awards in 1994 and 2002 and I have to say the taste is better than I expected. So the fact that it might have picked up the random trophy along the way is not necessarily surprising to me. (1,086 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +4.6%

Spent $3.59 on a sixer of "tall-boy" (16 Oz.) cans.

Appearance- On the dark end of the pale spectrum, but definently not red.

Smell- Typical macro smell, honestly no need for elaboration.

Taste- Better than a lot of macros I have tried. No nasty after taste, and pretty smooth going down. Still, not much in the way of flavor though.

Drinkability- I'd have this again when I'm low on money and still want some beer. Better drinkability than "light" macros, but still not the best of all macros. (506 characters)

2.4/5  rDev +0.4%

People are going to think I am crazy but this beer is not too bad. Maybe it is because when I was a kid they had the ads with the bulldog running around, or because I drank a whole case at an overnight jam band festival at my college (24 beers in 15 hours is not too much, nor very nutritious). The only outstanding characteristic is the corn adjuncts that stand out and a hint of the grains. But it doesn't taste too bad or go down horrible. I wouldn't drink this again if I was at the same festival and it was offered to me, but it isn't too horrible. (553 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -3.3%

Leftover from a golf outing. Pours a clear pale yellow color with a large fizzy white foam that fades as quickly as it rose.

I can certainly smell this one from a foot and a half away! Already has me wodering if I will be able to finish it. Pretty knappy smelling. Sweet creamed corn, urinal mint and freshly pulled weeds. Not very pleasant.

Taste is sweet and corny. Can claimes to be 'uncommonly smooth'. Compared to what? Antifreeze? I did manage to finish the can without grimacing more than 4 or 5 times. I cant really see any reason to buy this beer, there are better bargain beers out there and I believe I would rather have an Icehouse if given the choice of Plank Road beers. (686 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +4.6%

Everytime I rate one of these I feel like I need to explain what the hell I was thinking when actually buying the beer. Usually when at the liquor store staring a $10 six-pack of say Salvator in the eye, I'll spot a 12er of something cheaper on sale ( in this case 3.99.. for a 12er)..so I figure, I'll balance the cost out..keep some of this on stock for those friends who don't really appreciate beer...

With that said, I can't resit adding a review on any beer I try...

This isn't bad..Fairly well carbonated with a soft creamy lace on the top...light golden in color..I get some minor hops on the nose and on the finish...overall though the body of the beer has an off-taste to it (corn)..not bad, but it's there...a little more body than some macro lagers..pretty smooth overall...and not a bad buy at this price for certain occasions...there are MUCH MUCH worse American Lagers out there

Update...had a couple more...not as impressed...dropped my rankings slightly (980 characters)

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.