Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
Ratings: 698 | Reviews: 187

Appearance – Nice, clear yellow with a faint tinge of orange. The head came up nicely but, as is customary, went down in about ten seconds.

Smell – This has a big grainy corn aroma that actually seems to be kind of smooth as the advertising promises.

Taste – The creamed corn and grain mix together well enough, although I wouldn’t call the flavor good by any stretch of the imagination. The unavoidable sweet finish wasn’t as bad as most.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and crisp. Alas, the big red bulldog is as thin as a continental spaniel with its hair shaved off.

Drinkability – I can’t actually recommend the Red Dog, but if you have to choose between this and an MGD I’d go for this one.

I'm not impressed with this cheap american beer at all. This is all my friend had at his house the other day, so I gave it a try. It basically smelled and tasted like a budweiser, but a little better than a Bud, I guess. I did not see the colour or the head of this beer, because I drank it 'ghetto style' right out of the can. This beer had a pour mouthfeel and a low drinkability factor as well. In fact it was even worse in the cans than it was in the bottles! The appearance, taste, and drinkability all seemed worse to me with this canned version of Red Dog. I'd be like Todd, and say 'WHY!?!?' but than again @ $10 for a 30 pack of this in bottles or cans you can't really complain. A cheap beer that is probably good to get drunk on, I guess.
I'll never know as I would almost definately turn down one of these brews in the future...
Cheers!,
F.

2.4/5  rDev +19.4%

This mild lager pours a shiny gold color with a fast fading white head and little wisps of lace. The aroma is mainly of fresh mowed lawn with a bit of hops. A smooth and mellow malt body is a bit sweet, but also a bit pasty and mealy. There’s not much hop flavor attached to this brew. A hint of citrus and metallic bite can be noticed within the seltzery fizziness, with some concentration.
Red Dog attempts to suggest it’s a “Micro-brew”, but it’s really closer to mass-produced beer.

1.57/5  rDev -21.9%

Rice, rice, rice. Nothing redeemable about this brew. Just a crap beer from a corporate-owned brewery trying to pitch something 'creative'. Oh, I guess it's the cheap factor that sells it.

I had a bottle from a 12-pack my musician buddy brought to practice. I said, 'Oh, Red Dog. I don't think I've had this since college (several years back).' When I tried it again, I remember how godawful it is.

It's sticky, sickly sweet (mostly rice), no hops, no complexity, and only minimally full-bodied.

Although I'm always grateful to a friend who offers me a beer, I told him that next time he buys cheaply, he should buy Pabst Blue Ribbon--at least there's a hint of integrity there...

2.38/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I actually really did enjoy this beer. I heard quite a few bad things about it, but certainly for the price of 3.26 for a six pack ya gotta at least like that. It had a decent aroma, and had a pretty good mouthfeel as well. It was nothing spectacular, but its definitely something I'd buy again in the future.

3.18/5  rDev +58.2%

this is my absolute favorite of the cheap american beers. pale yellow in color, rarely retains a head and smells like preservatives, but it goes down the best of any of them. slight sweetness in taste which fades quickly and leaves little to no aftertaste. easy to drink, nice inwarm weather with a lime. i always have this in my fridge for my cheap beer.

1.39/5  rDev -30.8%

I really tried hard to come up with a raison d'etre for this one. I bought it thinking it might be somewhat red, but it poured out of the bottle the usual piss-yellow cheap lager color. No smell whatsoever. Tastes just like what it is, a cheap generic lager. I'm impressed. I didn't think "Plank Road" could come up with something even less interesting than Icehouse. Good shot, Miller!

1.03/5  rDev -48.8%

awful, dull, soggy, rubbery tasting beer here
I guess it wants to be "Malt Liquor" when it grows up, but for now it tastes like puree of canned green beans and vodka.
"Uncommonly Smooth" means "flacid" or "limp" or "mushy" to me. Spun sugar watery glazed blah!
Avoid at all costs.

This isn't red in color like I thought it would be given the name. Aroma is of some sweet adjuncts. Taste is of corn adjuncts and slight hops and grain. But it goes down with a harsh flavor that is unyielding to backing off. Medium body and decently carbonated. Just not that good of a beer.

1.58/5  rDev -21.4%

Could be psychological, but I almost think there is a reddish tint to this brew. In any event, the head is weak and gone in no time. There's not much of a nose, but we'll call it malt. The mouthfeel is watered down malt. The taste ... let's see, there must be some taste here ... is, well, fruit syrup and malt? Certainly no hops. Also certainly no chance that I'll have another, or even finish this one. Next!.

2.43/5  rDev +20.9%

I picked up a 24 oz can of this tonight for old times sake..i used to drink this pretty regular a few years back ( 4 to be exact)
I must say either the quality iof this beer has gone way down..or its better in a long neck ( how i used to drink it).
I certainly remember this beer being smoother and easier to drink than i find tonight..or it may be I am used to better beers nowadays.
Now it tastes like a typical cheapo American lager..certainlly a better deal than Bud, or Coors but way inferior to Miller High Life.

2.7/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

a couple years ago I entered a design a red dog bottle cap contest online and I actually won. I got $250 for it. Crazy! I was just fooling around online, nothing serious. It was something along the lines of "You've done the dew, now do the brew!"

Red dog beer is not so great though. But for cheap, cheap, macro swill it is my favorite. Soooo cheap!

2.05/5  rDev +2%

A buddy of mine drinks this all the time, I try to stay away from it. A light yellow color with hardly any head. No aroma, with very little taste to speak of. I would choose this over many others though because it doesn't have a bad aftertaste like many other canned beers.

2.05/5  rDev +2%

Red Dog came off very harsh. It had a high alcohol flavor, and little or no hops or corn taste. To me, it was nothing more than water and alcohol. For the price (this is a budget beer) it is run of the mill when consitering quaility. I would recommend Icehouse as an alternative.

2.06/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer poured surprisingly reddish in color (just kidding). It poured a straw gold color. The head was white in color, but you better not blink because it is gone that fast. No lace. The aroma was of corn on the cob in the boiling water, cereal, grain and light sweet hop. Lightly carbonated, the taste was watery. The flavors were of the corn grain, cereal, slight sweet malt and some barely noticeable hops. It ended watery again with the corn. I guess if it were free and there was nothing else, and it were very hot out. I might drink again.

2.25/5  rDev +11.9%

i don't know if this an original thought, but i feel red dog is miller brewing company's attempt at bridging the gap between high life and budweiser. the corn aromas that are so prevalent in miller beers are very muted in red dog, although perceptible. it has a strange metallic feel to it, but is very smooth in the same respect. lots of coarse graininess, and there is a definite malt flavor, but it's so watered down that it obviously distracts the taste buds into noticing the metallic twang more (maybe from the can?). strangely, it's sort of crisp and refreshing too....faint hops are present throughout the body. what really disturbs me is that i've spent so much time thinking so hard about this american lager swill...and the only conclusion i can come to is that this really is swill! somebody save me.

1.35/5  rDev -32.8%

Not red at all in color, more of a light yellow. I didn't expect much taste from this, and what I got was not pleasant. The small hop flavor isn't enough to save this beer. The quality reminds me of Armour Potted Meat Food Product with "partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue," a step below spam. I dumped out about half this beer and grabbed the only other beverage at the party...an alcopop. It wasn't a good night for drinking.

Straw yellow color with a low white head. Light malt and cooked corn aroma and taste. Light bodied (leans medium) and smooth. Far superior to Southpaw Light (the light version of this beer I believe). Cooked corn characteristics are much more subdued in this one by comparison.

3.43/5  rDev +70.6%

Red Dog not red at all!
Head : Small pale empty flavor.
Body : Clear yellow almost white color good carbonation.
Taste : Small hopps light malt ,Taste like verry good M G D thoe I don't know where they get the red fome this is almost clear.

Not bad to drink one of millers best!

3.27/5  rDev +62.7%

This is not an excellent beer, but I do enjoy it quite a bit. The appearance is a rather bland golden color. The smell is just average but the taste, in my opinion, is much better than the other American produced macro-brews. That is the main reason why I drink it, plus the price makes it a great buy. It is a little corny, with minimal hops, but decently malty. This is the only beer I get when I am feeling poor. The mouthfeel is a little over carbonated but thats easy to look past since it is so easy to drink otherwise. Plus the caps are cool too. I didn't notice them until just recently, when I bought a couple of sixers, because normally I just buy the 32oz'ers because I can get them for just dollar and a quarter.

1.95/5  rDev -3%

Pours a clear golden color with a very small white head that disappears quickly. The smell of slight skunk (not to be confused with skunked) is prevalent with a little adjuncty background. Rapid carb bubbles are flailing to the top like mad. Did I mention these things have such cute wittle caps that says "Hey Dude!" under them. If I'd known this, I would actually have bought a whole truckload ;-). The taste is a dominant carb bite with a semi-sweet corn adjunct flavor with very light (and I mean VERY light) hops. Nothing else! Light bodied and not quite as smooth as I expected from an American macro, so there will be no repeat from me drinking this one! Cheers!

2.43/5  rDev +20.9%

I admit that I loved the Red Dog commericals that were out a few years ago. Something about a red bulldog trying to sell me beer that sounded suspiciously like Tommy Lee Jones made me think "boy, thats cool." This stuff came out during the "war of the reds" (media blitzing of AB's Red Wolf and Killians running rampant). Too bad there's nothing red about this beer.

Red Dog pours a bright straw/light gold color. It formed a thin, fizzy head. The smell isn't very strong, just some light grain notes. The mouthfeel is watery just like any American style lager. The taste is unexceptional: some light grain notes all around with some actual hop presence. The hops don't add any true bitterness though. Not much to aftertaste, as its as watery as the rest of the beer. No alcoholic warmth, either.

I guess Miller tried passing this off as a craft brew by using the Plank Road brewery name on it, but its just another American beer. It is one of the better ones though. No foul taste, some hop presence, kinda refreshing. It's a good lawnmower beer. And remember: Be your own dog! (You'll find this and other cool messages under the cap).

2.25/5  rDev +11.9%

red dog...in the under 12 a case category i feel it has no competition other than PBR, a decent party beer and that is the only medium in which a pleasurable experience can be derived. The beer of choice in my fraternity seems to be busch, but my buddy's frat tends to prefer red dog, with them i side. red dog has a trace of hoppiness to it and it had a very easy to go down taste. The 'hopiness' (i use the term loosely) aided in the mass consumption of it as it breaks the pour drink drink finish pour typical of other beers in its price range, my recommendation (and this is from experience) if you're in college and broke and want something that you're not gonna suffer through in a night of drinking, buy red dog, it makes for great case races and beer pong
5KD official mass consumption beer

2.08/5  rDev +3.5%

A very unremarkable beer. Decent hop bite for a beer of this style and price-range. Not great, but not as bad as some of the ratings suggest. I'd take this over an ice beer.

2.02/5  rDev +0.5%

When it first came out, I thoght it was a great beer, until I tasted it. The ads said it was "uncommonly smooth"--a claim that I tried to verify with no such luck. This beer lacks the flavor and mouthfeel to be considered a smooth beer. It is cheap domestic swill that was originally advertised to take drinkers away from Bud and real "red" beers. It was an ambush. Tasted it again and my original conclusions about Red Dog still stand today. It is cheap and unadvertised now and that's where it belongs--in obscurity.

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.