Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
1.03/5  rDev -53.4%

awful, dull, soggy, rubbery tasting beer here
I guess it wants to be "Malt Liquor" when it grows up, but for now it tastes like puree of canned green beans and vodka.
"Uncommonly Smooth" means "flacid" or "limp" or "mushy" to me. Spun sugar watery glazed blah!
Avoid at all costs.

This isn't red in color like I thought it would be given the name. Aroma is of some sweet adjuncts. Taste is of corn adjuncts and slight hops and grain. But it goes down with a harsh flavor that is unyielding to backing off. Medium body and decently carbonated. Just not that good of a beer.

1.58/5  rDev -28.5%

Could be psychological, but I almost think there is a reddish tint to this brew. In any event, the head is weak and gone in no time. There's not much of a nose, but we'll call it malt. The mouthfeel is watered down malt. The taste ... let's see, there must be some taste here ... is, well, fruit syrup and malt? Certainly no hops. Also certainly no chance that I'll have another, or even finish this one. Next!.

2.43/5  rDev +10%

I picked up a 24 oz can of this tonight for old times sake..i used to drink this pretty regular a few years back ( 4 to be exact)
I must say either the quality iof this beer has gone way down..or its better in a long neck ( how i used to drink it).
I certainly remember this beer being smoother and easier to drink than i find tonight..or it may be I am used to better beers nowadays.
Now it tastes like a typical cheapo American lager..certainlly a better deal than Bud, or Coors but way inferior to Miller High Life.

2.7/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

a couple years ago I entered a design a red dog bottle cap contest online and I actually won. I got $250 for it. Crazy! I was just fooling around online, nothing serious. It was something along the lines of "You've done the dew, now do the brew!"

Red dog beer is not so great though. But for cheap, cheap, macro swill it is my favorite. Soooo cheap!

2.05/5  rDev -7.2%

A buddy of mine drinks this all the time, I try to stay away from it. A light yellow color with hardly any head. No aroma, with very little taste to speak of. I would choose this over many others though because it doesn't have a bad aftertaste like many other canned beers.

2.05/5  rDev -7.2%

Red Dog came off very harsh. It had a high alcohol flavor, and little or no hops or corn taste. To me, it was nothing more than water and alcohol. For the price (this is a budget beer) it is run of the mill when consitering quaility. I would recommend Icehouse as an alternative.

2.06/5  rDev -6.8%

This beer poured surprisingly reddish in color (just kidding). It poured a straw gold color. The head was white in color, but you better not blink because it is gone that fast. No lace. The aroma was of corn on the cob in the boiling water, cereal, grain and light sweet hop. Lightly carbonated, the taste was watery. The flavors were of the corn grain, cereal, slight sweet malt and some barely noticeable hops. It ended watery again with the corn. I guess if it were free and there was nothing else, and it were very hot out. I might drink again.

2.25/5  rDev +1.8%

i don't know if this an original thought, but i feel red dog is miller brewing company's attempt at bridging the gap between high life and budweiser. the corn aromas that are so prevalent in miller beers are very muted in red dog, although perceptible. it has a strange metallic feel to it, but is very smooth in the same respect. lots of coarse graininess, and there is a definite malt flavor, but it's so watered down that it obviously distracts the taste buds into noticing the metallic twang more (maybe from the can?). strangely, it's sort of crisp and refreshing too....faint hops are present throughout the body. what really disturbs me is that i've spent so much time thinking so hard about this american lager swill...and the only conclusion i can come to is that this really is swill! somebody save me.

1.35/5  rDev -38.9%

Not red at all in color, more of a light yellow. I didn't expect much taste from this, and what I got was not pleasant. The small hop flavor isn't enough to save this beer. The quality reminds me of Armour Potted Meat Food Product with "partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue," a step below spam. I dumped out about half this beer and grabbed the only other beverage at the alcopop. It wasn't a good night for drinking.

Straw yellow color with a low white head. Light malt and cooked corn aroma and taste. Light bodied (leans medium) and smooth. Far superior to Southpaw Light (the light version of this beer I believe). Cooked corn characteristics are much more subdued in this one by comparison.

3.43/5  rDev +55.2%

Red Dog not red at all!
Head : Small pale empty flavor.
Body : Clear yellow almost white color good carbonation.
Taste : Small hopps light malt ,Taste like verry good M G D thoe I don't know where they get the red fome this is almost clear.

Not bad to drink one of millers best!

3.27/5  rDev +48%

This is not an excellent beer, but I do enjoy it quite a bit. The appearance is a rather bland golden color. The smell is just average but the taste, in my opinion, is much better than the other American produced macro-brews. That is the main reason why I drink it, plus the price makes it a great buy. It is a little corny, with minimal hops, but decently malty. This is the only beer I get when I am feeling poor. The mouthfeel is a little over carbonated but thats easy to look past since it is so easy to drink otherwise. Plus the caps are cool too. I didn't notice them until just recently, when I bought a couple of sixers, because normally I just buy the 32oz'ers because I can get them for just dollar and a quarter.

1.95/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a clear golden color with a very small white head that disappears quickly. The smell of slight skunk (not to be confused with skunked) is prevalent with a little adjuncty background. Rapid carb bubbles are flailing to the top like mad. Did I mention these things have such cute wittle caps that says "Hey Dude!" under them. If I'd known this, I would actually have bought a whole truckload ;-). The taste is a dominant carb bite with a semi-sweet corn adjunct flavor with very light (and I mean VERY light) hops. Nothing else! Light bodied and not quite as smooth as I expected from an American macro, so there will be no repeat from me drinking this one! Cheers!

2.43/5  rDev +10%

I admit that I loved the Red Dog commericals that were out a few years ago. Something about a red bulldog trying to sell me beer that sounded suspiciously like Tommy Lee Jones made me think "boy, thats cool." This stuff came out during the "war of the reds" (media blitzing of AB's Red Wolf and Killians running rampant). Too bad there's nothing red about this beer.

Red Dog pours a bright straw/light gold color. It formed a thin, fizzy head. The smell isn't very strong, just some light grain notes. The mouthfeel is watery just like any American style lager. The taste is unexceptional: some light grain notes all around with some actual hop presence. The hops don't add any true bitterness though. Not much to aftertaste, as its as watery as the rest of the beer. No alcoholic warmth, either.

I guess Miller tried passing this off as a craft brew by using the Plank Road brewery name on it, but its just another American beer. It is one of the better ones though. No foul taste, some hop presence, kinda refreshing. It's a good lawnmower beer. And remember: Be your own dog! (You'll find this and other cool messages under the cap).

2.25/5  rDev +1.8%

red the under 12 a case category i feel it has no competition other than PBR, a decent party beer and that is the only medium in which a pleasurable experience can be derived. The beer of choice in my fraternity seems to be busch, but my buddy's frat tends to prefer red dog, with them i side. red dog has a trace of hoppiness to it and it had a very easy to go down taste. The 'hopiness' (i use the term loosely) aided in the mass consumption of it as it breaks the pour drink drink finish pour typical of other beers in its price range, my recommendation (and this is from experience) if you're in college and broke and want something that you're not gonna suffer through in a night of drinking, buy red dog, it makes for great case races and beer pong
5KD official mass consumption beer

2.08/5  rDev -5.9%

A very unremarkable beer. Decent hop bite for a beer of this style and price-range. Not great, but not as bad as some of the ratings suggest. I'd take this over an ice beer.

2.02/5  rDev -8.6%

When it first came out, I thoght it was a great beer, until I tasted it. The ads said it was "uncommonly smooth"--a claim that I tried to verify with no such luck. This beer lacks the flavor and mouthfeel to be considered a smooth beer. It is cheap domestic swill that was originally advertised to take drinkers away from Bud and real "red" beers. It was an ambush. Tasted it again and my original conclusions about Red Dog still stand today. It is cheap and unadvertised now and that's where it belongs--in obscurity.

2.32/5  rDev +5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Red Dog “Premium Beer” from the Plank Road Brewery pours a Listerine yellow from its twist off cap brown 12oz bottle.
Head forms well, and then is gone, leaving not even a wisp behind. Red Dog “Premium Beer” is not a red Beer as one might infer from its name.

Nose of not much more than alcohol with some hops, not floral but the dry bitter kind. Palate has a faint malt then a slight corn and soft smooth rice, followed by a bitter dry hops.

Red Dog “Premium Beer” is a good lawn mower Beer or a good quencher for those hot “Dog Days of Summer”.

1.1/5  rDev -50.2%

This beer is alot like Eliot Ness: Untouchable. In the world of beers this dog is at the bottom of the barrel. It is beer... that is the best thing I can say about it. Very few brews are this bad. I just don't think it tastes good at all, or smells good... well I have said enough. There are so many better beers.

1.53/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pale straw color, lots of head when poured, but disappears very quickly, not much lace, quite carbonated. Aroma of cooked vegetables and faint malt. Flavor is not very pleasing, subdued hints of malt, grain and hops with an aftertaste that is strikingly like soap. This is simply not a very good beer. For the price point that this beer sells for, Miller High Life is a much better choice.

1.47/5  rDev -33.5%

It looks fine. No smell, fine. Tastes pretty horrid and leaves you feeling like you sucked on dish-water. I can't believe it was that popular back in college.

1.95/5  rDev -11.8%

Straw-yellow, filtered then filtered again. Almost no carbonation, non exsistant head. Very simple grain malt flavor. Oh well.. better than Miller Highlife.

1.87/5  rDev -15.4%

Uncommonly smooth, uncommonly terrible. Red Dog tastes like watered down skunk urine. There is no reason to ever drink Red Dog even if it *is* cheap (except maybe the cool picture of the dog). Please don't buy this awful beer.

2.8/5  rDev +26.7%

Hmmm Red Dog, I agree with the other reviews, a hair better then other macro's and very cheap. This is a beer my buddy Tom would drink, I say this because he'll drink warm "beast" (M.Best) or " shits" (schlitz) out of his car trunk. I just think for a buck or so more, I can find a better brew. Overall a drinkable brew... I guess? Nothing I will purchase though.

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.