Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
Ratings: 699 | Reviews: 187
3.21/5  rDev +59.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Date on bottle of 7/8/13.

Appearance: The sort of light honey color of weak iced tea with visible effervescence and the kind of impeccable clarity you expect for the style. Thin cap of white head fizzling away on top.

Aroma: Classic adjunct nose with that slight skunk and empty corn can musk. Not revolting but not enticing.

Taste: Usually at this point in a review I remark on the different flavors and intricacies due to the complexity of the brew. With Red Dog I find myself at a bit of a loss because there really isn't any flavor. It's like soda water thats had creamed corn and a pinch of yeast added to it… yet it's oddly enjoyable. The finish is surprisingly smooth and there is a lack of any aftertaste. Can't believe it's 5% ABV because it seems like it could be so much lower.

Mouthfeel: Thin in body but not watery (no idea how that's possible). Lively carbonation that gives it a refreshing quality. Highly drinkable and easily sessionable at a BBQ or during other outdoor social gatherings.

Final Thoughts: I've never had Red Dog before and only tried it now because one was left in my fridge. I couldn't find any off-flavors, only a refreshing brew that caught me by surprise. I think it sells for something like $10 a 30-pack. Probably go good with a lime. Would I drink it again? Drink it, yes. Buy it, unlikely.

2.41/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a can at Texas Arizona in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation and some yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy bright white head that quickly reduces to a couple of small patches of extremely thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of slightly sweet adjunct malts - rice dominates with slighter amounts of corn and grain. Very light hints of grassy hops.

T: Upfront this beer is slightly sweet with light to moderate flavors of adjunct malts - rice, grain, and then just a hint of corn. Minimal amounts of grassy hops flavors and barely any bitterness.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin but not too watery.

O: I mostly decided to order this one for nostalgia's sake - I remember having this beer when I was in high school/college and before there were a lot of decent craft beers to enjoy. I had no illusion that this was going to be a good beer but honestly it was not as bad as I remembered it.

4.59/5  rDev +128.4%

i like cheap beers, and this one is near perfect. crisp and refreshing, with a light, wheaty flavor and very refreshing. i know that by beer drinker's standards this is not a high quality item, but that's what i like. it's mild and not at all overpowering. very drinkable. i'm not one to savor the event of drinking a beer - this is one you can guzzle and consume mass quantities without it going to your head or feeling full and bloated. in my opinion, almost the perfect beer.

2.16/5  rDev +7.5%

A - completely clear, light yellow with a big, bubbly, white head that has little retention

S - very sweet, grainy, a hint of metal

T - same as the nose; sweet, grainy, metallic

M - light bodied, crisp

When i was in college we bought this for $6 a 12-pack. That was 2001-2003. This is a pretty simplistic, tasteless beer. It's definitely better out of the can. I will avoid this in the future.

2.65/5  rDev +31.8%

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Watching some Saints Row, drinkin' some Red Dog. Welcome home, Jonny-Cakes. This stuff pours a clear pale straw topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises corn, light wheat, and a smattering of hard water. The taste brings in more of the same, with the corn coming through sweeter and the water harder. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, given this beer's reputation, I feel it's not all that bad, but it ain't anywhere near good. If I needed a cheap sixpack in some random place, I wouldn't be as completely averse to Red Dog as I would be toward other similar options.

3.94/5  rDev +96%

Just wanted give this a go because I got a good laugh out of the review below me by HeyBeerSnobFU. I can't tell if he's totally joking, but I think it's mostly truth behind the review. It's certainly not the best light lager in the world but when comparing beers at a similar price , it is unmatched. Just good ol' grainy fizzy yellow beer. For macro lagers sometimes "not that bad" means a lot.

I would be lying if I said I don't get nostalgic whenever I pound a few cans. Just look at the badass packaging. Also I was just in Madison a couple of weekends ago where I saw a place selling a 30 pack for $10.99. God bless America!

4.34/5  rDev +115.9%

Ignore the beer snobs that trash this beer, their uber sophisticated palletes will never be able to appreciate the awesomeness of this beer. This beer won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival last year for a reason, it's one of the best American adjunct lagers on the planet. This beer pours from the can looking like liquid gold. The smell would probably bring Bob Mckenzie to his knees. It tastes like God just gave me a golden shower. Overall this is one of the easiest drinking beers ever created and should be a constant in everyones beer rotation. Good luck finding a better beer for the price, because it isn't about to happen.

2.05/5  rDev +2%

I poured from a can into a 16oz draft class.

The head on this beer is actually pretty thick, but it is filled with large air pockets.

Appearence was a clear dark yellow/gold and the aroma was that of any generic macro brew. Nothing to write home about to be sure.

The taste is actually where the divide is set for me and why I felt compelled to write a review for this beer. Let's be fair and honest, at $12.99 a 30-rack where I'm from, you know exactly what you're getting when you set you're money on the counter. But, inexplicably, it tastes better to me than a lot of other comparable beers (i.e. American, Genny, Milwaukee). Hard alcohol bite that shows it's more than just water. My friends and I have dubbed it "The bite of the dog". The price and RELATIVELY good taste make it perfect for a basement frat party or a trashy family reunion.

2.16/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Pours a see through yellow with a three finger frothy white head. Actually leaves a good amount of lacing

S - Stale corn adjunct upfront, followed by some ever so slight rice adjunct.

T - Pretty bland, slight corn adjunct in the distance but not offensive in any way.

M - Adds some sweet rice with a moderately carbonated body.

O - Overall, it's a cheap beer. In the price range you either get this or Hamm's, And I guess I'd take this since it doesn't have the same sticky consistency that Hamm's has

2.76/5  rDev +37.3%

12 pack purchased for $5.99 American. Poured into hotel room glass for appearance. Drank rest from bottle.

Typical adjunct lager. Clear and yellow.

Frosted flakes, with apple juice and booze. Not very good.

Not horrible. Similar to a Highlife, Mickey's or Old Milwaukee with a hint more booze twang.

Again like a Highlife, Mickey's or Old Milwaukee. Not too carbonated but finishes clean. Alcohol vapors evaporate off the tongue.

Nothing special but you could purchase far worse.

3.16/5  rDev +57.2%

Looks like an adjunct lager. Smells like an adjunct lager with an extra metallic smell.
The taste is quite unique though, I find. It's got an odd sweetness to it that I don't like. Normally, I have no problem with sweetness. But this is a strange type of sweet like it had a packet of artificial sweetener poured into what was otherwise a bland, dry beer. It's not terrible. It's probably a wee bit better than Budweiser, but there are better beers in this price range. Old Milwaukee is what I'll be sticking with. Much better than this garbage.

2.26/5  rDev +12.4%

Fairly heavy body a little dry lots of malt, but the skunkiness and the "rusty pipes" after taste still lingers with me to this day.
It does its job as what its intended to be an alcohol delivery system. Its got to be ice cold or its nasty. I like its little brother southpaw better.

3.13/5  rDev +55.7%

First review, figured I should do it on my most recent beer I had, and I gotta say, this is probably the number one on what I call my "Shit beer list." For just a few bucks and to get this kind of beer, going in with low expectations, it isn't bad.

A: Pale straw color. Impressive 4-finger head with little retention.

S: The weak point; musty and corny. Not awful smelling, but certainly not appealing.

T: Decent amount of hops with a stale corn after-taste, but if you're chugging it, it doesn't really matter.

M: Extremely light, but in terms of an adjunct, better than most.

O: Best "Shit beer." If I need beer and I got a few bucks, my money is on this.

1.89/5  rDev -6%

Found one of these left over from a party, I figured I would rate it. It pours a pale golden color with a strong head that fades quickly. It smells faintly like a floor that has had beer spilled on it a week ago. The taste is tangy sweet with a crapload of carbonation. This beer is an adjunct lager that is cheap and a vehicle for alcohol, not much more.

2.58/5  rDev +28.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a pint glass.

Clear pale body, 1-2 fingers of white foam. Smells and tastes like what it is, a cheap adjunct lager. You know exactly what you're getting when you buy this. It tastes exactly like dozens of others in the style. This isn't really better or worse than any of the others. Just another mediocre example of mass-produced cheap beer.

1.1/5  rDev -45.3%

First had: bottle from a friend's fridge somewhere, sometime

General adjunct lager by Miller, under the guise of something else. Pours a pale, straw-yellow, fizzy, with a thin, bubbly head that recedes to just about nothing. Aroma of pale malts, grains, and light indistinct hops. Taste of beer juice. Light mouthfeel, fizzy and weak, not flavorful at all, but goes down like water, if you want to get wasted that way.

1.96/5  rDev -2.5%

Amazing clarity, straw yellow, mild head to it. Standard. Industrial metallic bitterness and corn syrup mixed with water from the aroma. Nothing red in appearance about this one.

Hops are present, or something that makes this bitter and tingly. Plenty of corn. Carbonation is high.

Rough aftertaste, flows from bitter to rancid. A very musty taste, like they wanted it to compliment a smoky bar with such an aftertaste.

3.92/5  rDev +95%

I think this beer is unfairly bashed. When I judge beers, i factor in how much i paid for it, and honestly, when i can get a 30 pack of cans for $12 or a 12pk of bottles for $6, i am not expecting an amazing beer. When compared to all the other cheap beers: Milwaukee's Best, Busch Light, Keystone, etc. It is definitely the best out of all of them. It is not my favorite beer, but when money is an issue, or if it is the only thing to drink, i would not be upset. I really do think it is a pretty good beer.

2.26/5  rDev +12.4%

Bow wow wow yippy yo yippy yea! Rde Doggy Daw-u-dogg! Yeah its a throw back but gots to review it. The Dawg is a typical miller product. Golden clear good carbonation that gives a sudsy white head for a short time. There is no smell beside grain. The taste is typical nothing real notible. The mouthfeel is standard...lawn mower beer!

1.78/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I drank this from a tall pub glass...

The beer looks like your average macro, yellow with a thin white head that was gone in seconds. It smells like sweet and sour corn. Whoa, it's very watery, tastes like old water, it's musty. This is not anything I would ever want to drink again, it is very thin and the taste is not pleasant at all.

1.46/5  rDev -27.4%

A: Straw colored.

S: Terrible. Possibly the worst smelling beer with an odor that smells musty and like corn.

T: Fairly hoppy, unexpectedly, for this type of beer. After slight hops diminish it has no real taste except for a slight hint of fermented stale corn.

M: Light and watery. Disappears from palate very quickly.

O: Avoid. Bad, cheap beer that I got for free. Would never buy, as it has no quality taste and smell is awful.

2.9/5  rDev +44.3%

Ok this beer serves one purpose: to get drunk. If you have that goal in mind, this is the perfect penny pinching beer for you!

My favorite "poor mans beer," Red Dog tops natural light or milwaukee's best for me in every category. Beer store in my area sells red dog for $17 a 24-pack of bottles. Sold me on it.

Im not going to review it like a normal beer because it doesnt really apply....but I will say that it tastes a hell of a lot better than other college beers out there, for only a few more bucks.

Attitude going in to a night of red dog drinking: "why not?"

2.56/5  rDev +27.4%

Had this beer at Turf Club Center City:

A: A pale golden color with little or no head and lacing

S: This beer is a hoppy beer, with traces of corn, rice, and earthy musty hops

T: This beer has a averave taste

M: This beer is crisp and goes down smooth

D: This is a beer to drink if you are drinking all day

A- pale yellow with fast fading frothy head and minimal soapy lace.

S- Surpringly hoppy compared to most miller products. Corn, water, rice, earthy musty hops

T- Musty, watery, corn and faint light grains

M- Crisp, light, watery

D- Easy to drink but boring. Musty taste is a turn off. Just another cheap watered down BMC beer.

2.97/5  rDev +47.8%

Red Dog is really not as bad as most people think. It's a pretty easy to drink beer and for the price, it's tough to beat. Another beer that I'm surprised they bottle though as this beer is really meant to be drank from a 30-pack.

A - It's a very light golden color.

S - Not good. Smells like a stale fart.

T - Pretty decent. Not much aftertaste.

M - OK, feels like a light beer.

D - You can drink this stuff all day and not worry about getting full.

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.