Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

rAvg: 2
Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +97.5%

Just wanted give this a go because I got a good laugh out of the review below me by HeyBeerSnobFU. I can't tell if he's totally joking, but I think it's mostly truth behind the review. It's certainly not the best light lager in the world but when comparing beers at a similar price , it is unmatched. Just good ol' grainy fizzy yellow beer. For macro lagers sometimes "not that bad" means a lot.

I would be lying if I said I don't get nostalgic whenever I pound a few cans. Just look at the badass packaging. Also I was just in Madison a couple of weekends ago where I saw a place selling a 30 pack for $10.99. God bless America!

1.75/5  rDev -12.5%

1.75/5  rDev -12.5%

1.25/5  rDev -37.5%

4.4/5  rDev +120%

Ignore the beer snobs that trash this beer, their uber sophisticated palletes will never be able to appreciate the awesomeness of this beer. This beer won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival last year for a reason, it's one of the best American adjunct lagers on the planet. This beer pours from the can looking like liquid gold. The smell would probably bring Bob Mckenzie to his knees. It tastes like God just gave me a golden shower. Overall this is one of the easiest drinking beers ever created and should be a constant in everyones beer rotation. Good luck finding a better beer for the price, because it isn't about to happen.

1.25/5  rDev -37.5%

2.1/5  rDev +5%

I poured from a can into a 16oz draft class.

The head on this beer is actually pretty thick, but it is filled with large air pockets.

Appearence was a clear dark yellow/gold and the aroma was that of any generic macro brew. Nothing to write home about to be sure.

The taste is actually where the divide is set for me and why I felt compelled to write a review for this beer. Let's be fair and honest, at $12.99 a 30-rack where I'm from, you know exactly what you're getting when you set you're money on the counter. But, inexplicably, it tastes better to me than a lot of other comparable beers (i.e. American, Genny, Milwaukee). Hard alcohol bite that shows it's more than just water. My friends and I have dubbed it "The bite of the dog". The price and RELATIVELY good taste make it perfect for a basement frat party or a trashy family reunion.

2.15/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Pours a see through yellow with a three finger frothy white head. Actually leaves a good amount of lacing

S - Stale corn adjunct upfront, followed by some ever so slight rice adjunct.

T - Pretty bland, slight corn adjunct in the distance but not offensive in any way.

M - Adds some sweet rice with a moderately carbonated body.

O - Overall, it's a cheap beer. In the price range you either get this or Hamm's, And I guess I'd take this since it doesn't have the same sticky consistency that Hamm's has

2.25/5  rDev +12.5%

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.