Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
1.02/5  rDev -49.3%

I actually went and got a six pack of this stuff to give it a fair chance. I figured it had a nice puppy on the front and was being sold along with Old Mil and Mickey's, how bad could it be??

So I can't believe I am reviewing this beer but I am. Pale color, smells like burnt corn, tastes like corn and has the carbonation of a bad soda. Mouthfeel = water. HOLY BITE ON IT! You take a sip and this one kicks you right back in the mouth in an unpleasant way. It fizzes like soda.

On par with Old Milwaukee. Still, this is one for if you just want to get really trashed and don't care about beer at all. If you want a bit of alcohol in water then here's your beer.

It actually smelled a bit like homeless people.

Avoid.

phillipzayas, Apr 18, 2010

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again. I remember when I use to really like this brew.

Wasatch, Mar 16, 2010
2.58/5  rDev +28.4%

Pours clear straw yellow with a decent-sized foamy head that fizzles down slowly, leaving minimal trailing lace.

The smell is of cooked veggies and popcorn - mild though. Otherwise, pretty vacant.

The taste is sweet, mild grain and tonic water. Not overly sweet, though, with no detectable hops. Finishes with a touch of sweetness and a watery nothing. Nothing to it, really.

It has a somewhat oily, light body. Not too fizzy for the style, giving it a smoothness in a "chugging" sense.

A bland, mildly sweet cheap beer. It might be alright for a quick refresher when breaking out in a sweat. Not a terrible cheap macro lager, but not good either. Scored for what it is... but - there are so many out there like this it would get lost in a sea of bland cheap macro lagers...

jwc215, Mar 09, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -16.4%

I already reviewed "RED pig mexican ale" now follows "RED dog"; Look: Bright yellow color, no foamy head; Smell: Smooth, malt and grain, nothing new; Taste: Corn syrup and rotten pineapple; Mouthfeel: Watery, fizzy, very sweet, light body; Drinkability: Nothing good to talk about, in fact the taste is bad, but i liked the beer eating "quesadillas", also is very cheap.

roddwolff, Jan 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +93%

For the price this one often goes for, it's a damn good beer. I purchased these 6-packs of 16 oz. cans for $2.99 each (that's $11.96/case) in December, 2009.

This beer has a standard thick head and golden, bubbly appearance. It has the stereotypical American style lager smell. The taste is very good and quite similar to others in it's genre (think beer). Mouthfeel is watery and light. Red Dog has the bite one expects from this style. Overall, I have to rate this as a very fine beer. It's as good, if not better, than other higher-priced beers in its class (Budweiser, MGD, Coors). That being the case, why not purchase this and save a bundle? Red Dog definitely holds its own against the others. I've always had a lot of respect for this one.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Dec 30, 2009
3.03/5  rDev +50.7%

A decent economy brew, along the lines of Pabst Blue Ribbon, but can be found very cheap especially when on sale. I've seen it as cheap as $0.42 a can locally...

It won't win any awards but it's not offensive.

If you need a fridge full of beer without breaking the bank you could do worse.

WolfmanK, Nov 24, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +46.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poued from a 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is sweet, corn and malts. Taste is crisp, corn and finishing slightly bitter. Feels light in the mouth and has pretty good drinkability. Overall this is an average low cost brew.

tone77, Nov 04, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +70.6%

Number two of the three macro cans I went through tonight. Not really sure why I decided to go for all of these tonight but it was fun none the less. Served ice cold and poured into a pint glass, it was consumed on 10/28/2009.

The pour was bit darker then the straw color I was expecting but again I would not really say it was anything really to write home about, but the fizzy white head did decide to hang out a little bit longer then I thought it would have. Nice even aroma here, light corn again and loads of grain but nothing really terrible or off putting about it at all. I took the first sip and I was really quite shocked. Nice caramel malts here and a decent shot of light grain flavor. Not bad. I have to admit, one of the better lagers I have had recently. Clean finish and virtually no aftertaste at all left me with a totally clean taste on the palate and a light and crisp refreshing taste. I have to admit I would probably drink this one again, can't believe I am saying that but I honestly think I would.

mikesgroove, Oct 29, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +80.6%

When I was just getting into drinking as a kid (21) this was the first one I tried that I actually LIKED. Twelve years later I still like it. It gets a bad rap by some people. But the taste is good, a little bitter with mild bite to it. Good amount of carbination makes it feel good going down...

Im not an expert at reviewing beer, but I have tried alot of beers over the years expensive craft beers and cheap kegger party 30 packs (which is I suppose where Red Dog fits in now). Red Dog is a damn good beer at a good price. Reminds me alot of Budweiser, so if you like Bud you should like this.

critterbug, Oct 17, 2009
2.03/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale yellow color, with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves almost no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains adjuncts, light malts, grain and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with the typical adjunct sweetness that is quickly followed by bready flavors of grain and light malts. The hops presence is as faint as you would expect from this type of beer. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to this beer, mild kick, yet another fizzy yellow beer that is nothing but marketing, marketing, marketing.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 10, 2009
2.13/5  rDev +6%

oh god.. I'm fairly embarassed to even review this but I found myself in the god-forsaken situation where this is one of the only options at a party, and so might as well...
There is really nothing to even notice about this.. it is basically your standard adjunct lager thru and thru. Light, watery mouthfeel, tastes of nothing but corn adjunct, dismal appearance. As per usual, the only quality thats even average would be the "drinkability" as you could easily chug as much of this garbage as possible, but I certainly dont WANt to drink it.

BirdFlu, Aug 23, 2009

What CAN this beer make me say? "Bad Dog!" or "Good Dog!"? I CAN't wait to find out.

A finger of foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the characteristic cereal sweetness so prevalent in the style. Mouthfeel was medium with a good bit of sweetness on the tongue. This was a lot more drinkable than the Genny products that I reviewed earlier, but it was still kinda bland. The finish was lightly sweet, pleasant, but not worth seeking out. Ho hum. Good dog, but now you need to sit and stay.

woodychandler, Aug 14, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -11.4%

12oz Can. Pint Glass

A: Clear light yellow. White two finger head disappears into bubbly thin head.

S: Crisp watery. Light Grains

T/M: Watery, very faint taste. Corn Flakes. Little bit dry.

D: Not Good. I would think this was a light beer but it's not. Very little taste at all. I would pass.

Cheers

mnrider, Aug 04, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +81.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have become quite fond of this beer, especially for a an American lager. It has, by far, a superior taste to other lagers and it actually taste decent for a cheap beer. I find myself drinking this more and more as is it doesn't break budgets and it gets the job done. It's appearance isn't anything special and the smell can be misleading at times, but drink this bad boy out of a 32 and I'm sure you will find yourself growing on this brew.

tmiller7, Jul 27, 2009
1.08/5  rDev -46.3%

Pours a light clear yellow with visible carbonation and a small head. The head goes away very quickly. The smell is of some malt and metal, the smell is a little stale. The taste is very bitter, but not hops bitter, just bitter and metalic. There is maybe a hint of grain. The mouthfeel is carbonated moderately and watery. Overall you would not drink more than one of these.

goblue3509, Jul 22, 2009
1.05/5  rDev -47.8%

I have always been curious about this interesting looking can of beer. However, one can has answered all curiosity. Pours a watery amber with a bubbly white head. Nose is of old cut grass and stale grains. Taste is bitter and a tad harsh. Thin body over carbonated.

rye726, Jul 14, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -13.9%

I poured 16 oz of this stuff into one of my trusty highballs.

Appearance:
Nothing out of the ordinary, golden yellow in colour, not much in the way of foam, and what little there is disappears very quickly.

Smell:
Acrid, smokey, and a bit bitter. Almost no sign of grain anywhere in there.

Taste:
I'll review it if I ever detect it. If I drank this stuff blindfolded, I'd mistake it for soda water. The only reason this does not get a 1 flat out is that I've had beers that actually tasted bad, not just like nothing.

Mouthfeel:
This stuff feels like I'm drinking dilute (0.5 M) carbonic acid. For those non-chemists reading this, loads of fizz and bubbles, signifying nothing. When I managed not to get a mouthfull of bubbles, this stuff was very thin.

Drinkability:
This stuff is too fizzy to quaff properly, and it doesn't have enough (read any) flavour to enjoy on a sip-by-sip basis. As for a decent buzz, I drank a 16-ounce can of this stuff and I was still able to type this review. For shame! All I can say is Thank God I Only Bought a Four-Pack.

Moontang, Jun 27, 2009
2.33/5  rDev +15.9%

Twenty-four ounces? What a deal, that's two more than a similarly priced can of swill! Yes, Red Dog is doing everything in its power to get in the hands of hobos and college students. It pours a transparent yellow with a big head that doesn't last too long and plenty of visible carbonation. The smell is mercifully weak and mostly corny malt sweetness. The taste is watery malt that if fairly clean and a bit of a metallic taste that may be the last dying attempt to get noticed of some very underwhelming hops. The big problem with this beer is that as it warms the more it tastes like a sweet corn abortion. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean, which is one of the big selling points along with the easy drinkability.

TheTrevor, May 10, 2009
2.48/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can

A: tan yellow colored beer, white head

S: smells a bit like a can. hints of bitter hops

T: good nothing great.

M: little body, ok carbonation.

D: good for its price. 13$ for a 30 rack of beer, probably would be really good for a fishing trip. I'm in college and i see myself buying this beer as substitute for keystone, when i plan on partying, and need a change for the usual.

minterro, May 07, 2009
2.75/5  rDev +36.8%

We all have a beer that got us to where we are today. it would be easy to bag on Red Dog, but I have found memories of Thirty Thursdays at Finnegans in Huntington, LI, with $3 Red Dog pints. Back then quantity was as important as quality.

Today...ok, so its not great. Its a pale yellow color that looks close enough to piss to pass for a urine sample. The smell is standard cheap lager mix of grain and can. The taste is beer - nothing more, nothing less.

Two keys to making the most:
- Pour out of the can
- Keep really, really cold. The second this gets warm, its beyond terrible.

KTCamm, Apr 19, 2009
2.38/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance:
This brew looks pretty standard for the style. The name might lead you to believe that this beer is at least colred red, but it's not; it's a cystal clear golden color. Head formation (~1/2 finger), retention, and lacing are all quite poor.

Smell:
Again, there isn't much to say here given the style. Like many cheap macros, the aroma is an uninticing mix of grain, metal, and hops. The former two scents are the dominant ones, but there is a little detectable hoppiness. It smells like your standard crappy college beer.

Taste:
The taste matches the nose well; unfortunately, this isn't saying much. Strong graininess and mellow hop flavor lead to a very metallic aftertaste. This beer has plenty of bite, but not the good kind - it makes me cringe. The flavor also gets worse as the temperature of the beer rises.

Mouthfeel:
It's not as light as I was expecting. I'd rate the body as medium to medium-light. The beer is fairly smooth given the metallic flavor, but this isn't really saying much.

Drinkability:
I have a feeling that this is what the beer was crafted for (if you can say "crafted"). If there was a redeeming characteristic, I would say that this is probably it. It's easy to drink many of these quickly because you're not skimping out on any flavor.

Summary:
I'm not impressed, but I guess that's easy to say when you're not expecting much. From what I read, this beer's price point is just above that of Milwaukee's Best. It's not too terrible if served very cold and eaten with some food, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try this again. If you're just looking to get drunk, then I suppose this wouldn't be a bad option. I'd say it's a step up from the standard college fare (Keystone, Natural Ice, etc.), but nothing special.

diabecktic, Mar 14, 2009
1.13/5  rDev -43.8%

Is there anything lower than awful for taste? There should be in Red Dog's case. I am still shocked to see this around every once in awhile. Who drinks this?

After one beer I can't see how you could want another. There are plenty better cheap beers out there.

woodske1, Mar 03, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +54.2%

Red Dog is a lower-end priced beer with a middle-of-the-road taste. If you are a college kid used to pounding Natty and Keystone, this is a welcomed step up.

I personally think this is a better beer than others may think, although I can understand why some don't like it. Even though I am a college student, my personal ratings for the higher-class beers are on par with everyone else's, so I feel like I know a good beer when I see/taste one. This beer is an exceptional value for the price, and the bottle is very cool-looking. I would recommend Red Dog to someone who wants an okay beer to drink in quantity.

letsgoblue89, Feb 19, 2009
2.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Leftover from a golf outing. Pours a clear pale yellow color with a large fizzy white foam that fades as quickly as it rose.

I can certainly smell this one from a foot and a half away! Already has me wodering if I will be able to finish it. Pretty knappy smelling. Sweet creamed corn, urinal mint and freshly pulled weeds. Not very pleasant.

Taste is sweet and corny. Can claimes to be 'uncommonly smooth'. Compared to what? Antifreeze? I did manage to finish the can without grimacing more than 4 or 5 times. I cant really see any reason to buy this beer, there are better bargain beers out there and I believe I would rather have an Icehouse if given the choice of Plank Road beers.

twiggamortis420, Feb 07, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +54.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

From the 12 fl. oz. can no. 02099-C50979. Sampled Jan 30, 2009. Taste buds can be an amazing thing. Either that or I just got a better sample than some of the previous reviewers.

Appearance - Typical golden-yellow like all the other cheaper macros. However my can ended up with about a two inch deep foamy, bubbly head that diminished afoter about 2 minites.

Smell - Better than most. I actually did notice a hint of barley malts. In fact that aroma was more noticeable to me than the usual grassy, corny, and metallic aroma you tend to get in these cheaper macros.

Mouthfeel - Nothing special here. After swirling it around the tongue it breaks down into straight carbonation within seconds.

Taste - A tiny touch of malts in the flavor but it is a bit overpowered by that corny, grassy, metallic taste you get in cheap macros. It finishes dry.

Its commecial description declares that it won awards in 1994 and 2002 and I have to say the taste is better than I expected. So the fact that it might have picked up the random trophy along the way is not necessarily surprising to me.

puboflyons, Jan 31, 2009
Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.