Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

rAvg: 2
Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros

Red Dog is really not as bad as most people think. It's a pretty easy to drink beer and for the price, it's tough to beat. Another beer that I'm surprised they bottle though as this beer is really meant to be drank from a 30-pack.

A - It's a very light golden color.

S - Not good. Smells like a stale fart.

T - Pretty decent. Not much aftertaste.

M - OK, feels like a light beer.

D - You can drink this stuff all day and not worry about getting full.

2.38/5  rDev +19%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Red Dog! The poor mans, "lets get piss drunk" drink of choice!

A: A dehydrated piss yellow color.

S: A strong sent of hops.

T: A surprising amount of hops, as well as corn. On top of that it's watery as hell.

M: A light, crisp feel, with a mild amount of carbonation,

D: If you asked me if I wanted one of these to drink, while knowing there are better choices, I would laugh and say no.
But for those of you college dorm room kids out there with little to no money in your pocket and are looking for a way to say you drank a beer or two, this is your best choice, just make sure you don't tell anyone who knows a little and or anything about beers, they'll just laugh.

2.38/5  rDev +19%

I bummed a can of this off a friend of mine since I had no desire to buy a 30-pack of this for $12 knowing that it was not going to be good.

If you're in college with no money, then Red Dog is your beer! But if you like a good flavor with your beer, this is one to avoid. Red Dog pours a very pale yellow color and has the familar scent that American Adjunct Lagers have. There is very little flavor almost to the point that it tastes like beer flavored water. On the upside it does drink fairly smooth and does not leave a bad after taste.

3.5/5  rDev +75%

Yellow colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma and taste are the normal macro ingredients.This beer is fresh and pretty drinkable.I imagine this is at it's best during the hot summer months when it's ice cold.I would recommend and would purchase again.

2.68/5  rDev +34%

I poured into a pint glass to three fingers of white head. This offering is straw colored. The smell is sweet and grassy. The taste isn't as sweet as some adjuncts. It really doesn't have a whole lot of flavor. There is plenty of carbonation that offers a slight bite. It goes down like water and has the consistency to match.

2.17/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured a dull gold into my pilsner glass, a nice head quickly subsided. Definitely has a flavor, though I'm not yet adept enough to describe it. If pressed, I would say it has that Miller Flavor, the beer-like flavor that Lite has, just a little more of it. There's little aroma, and the flavor quickly fades away.

2.5/5  rDev +25%

Drank from the bottle. There is nothing Red about this beer. Pale yellow, goldish color with large head that is pretty foamy. Basic bland flavorless brew, very refreshing and thirst quenching. Crisp over cooked rice flavors, mouthfeel is somewhat dry.

3.33/5  rDev +66.5%

Red Dog! I can drink this all night and still wake up with no hang over whats so ever except a little cotton mouth but thats easily cured with a glass of water. This is my go to beer when I am dead broke and wanna get piss poor drunk.

A:very very yellow

S: Very hoppy and corn scent

T: I tasted a lot of corn and hops. Its one of those beers that no matter how fast you drink or how much you drink you will never get sick.

M: Crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation.

D: If given a case I could drink it all day, especially on a hot day. Good and cheap, can't complain!

Serving type: can

1.02/5  rDev -49%

Reviewed from notes.

Pale yellow color with a white foamy head with poor retention. Smells of cooked corn, and tastes like it too. Very unappealing on many different levels. Over carbonated, extremely watery, and a poor excuse for beer. I will try anything once, but this will not get a second chance.

1.02/5  rDev -49%

I actually went and got a six pack of this stuff to give it a fair chance. I figured it had a nice puppy on the front and was being sold along with Old Mil and Mickey's, how bad could it be??

So I can't believe I am reviewing this beer but I am. Pale color, smells like burnt corn, tastes like corn and has the carbonation of a bad soda. Mouthfeel = water. HOLY BITE ON IT! You take a sip and this one kicks you right back in the mouth in an unpleasant way. It fizzes like soda.

On par with Old Milwaukee. Still, this is one for if you just want to get really trashed and don't care about beer at all. If you want a bit of alcohol in water then here's your beer.

It actually smelled a bit like homeless people.

Avoid.

2/5  rDev 0%

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again. I remember when I use to really like this brew.

2.58/5  rDev +29%

Pours clear straw yellow with a decent-sized foamy head that fizzles down slowly, leaving minimal trailing lace.

The smell is of cooked veggies and popcorn - mild though. Otherwise, pretty vacant.

The taste is sweet, mild grain and tonic water. Not overly sweet, though, with no detectable hops. Finishes with a touch of sweetness and a watery nothing. Nothing to it, really.

It has a somewhat oily, light body. Not too fizzy for the style, giving it a smoothness in a "chugging" sense.

A bland, mildly sweet cheap beer. It might be alright for a quick refresher when breaking out in a sweat. Not a terrible cheap macro lager, but not good either. Scored for what it is... but - there are so many out there like this it would get lost in a sea of bland cheap macro lagers...

1.68/5  rDev -16%

I already reviewed "RED pig mexican ale" now follows "RED dog"; Look: Bright yellow color, no foamy head; Smell: Smooth, malt and grain, nothing new; Taste: Corn syrup and rotten pineapple; Mouthfeel: Watery, fizzy, very sweet, light body; Drinkability: Nothing good to talk about, in fact the taste is bad, but i liked the beer eating "quesadillas", also is very cheap.

3.88/5  rDev +94%

For the price this one often goes for, it's a damn good beer. I purchased these 6-packs of 16 oz. cans for $2.99 each (that's $11.96/case) in December, 2009.

This beer has a standard thick head and golden, bubbly appearance. It has the stereotypical American style lager smell. The taste is very good and quite similar to others in it's genre (think beer). Mouthfeel is watery and light. Red Dog has the bite one expects from this style. Overall, I have to rate this as a very fine beer. It's as good, if not better, than other higher-priced beers in its class (Budweiser, MGD, Coors). That being the case, why not purchase this and save a bundle? Red Dog definitely holds its own against the others. I've always had a lot of respect for this one.

RJT

3.03/5  rDev +51.5%

A decent economy brew, along the lines of Pabst Blue Ribbon, but can be found very cheap especially when on sale. I've seen it as cheap as $0.42 a can locally...

It won't win any awards but it's not offensive.

If you need a fridge full of beer without breaking the bank you could do worse.

2.95/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poued from a 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is sweet, corn and malts. Taste is crisp, corn and finishing slightly bitter. Feels light in the mouth and has pretty good drinkability. Overall this is an average low cost brew.

3.43/5  rDev +71.5%

Number two of the three macro cans I went through tonight. Not really sure why I decided to go for all of these tonight but it was fun none the less. Served ice cold and poured into a pint glass, it was consumed on 10/28/2009.

The pour was bit darker then the straw color I was expecting but again I would not really say it was anything really to write home about, but the fizzy white head did decide to hang out a little bit longer then I thought it would have. Nice even aroma here, light corn again and loads of grain but nothing really terrible or off putting about it at all. I took the first sip and I was really quite shocked. Nice caramel malts here and a decent shot of light grain flavor. Not bad. I have to admit, one of the better lagers I have had recently. Clean finish and virtually no aftertaste at all left me with a totally clean taste on the palate and a light and crisp refreshing taste. I have to admit I would probably drink this one again, can't believe I am saying that but I honestly think I would.

3.63/5  rDev +81.5%

When I was just getting into drinking as a kid (21) this was the first one I tried that I actually LIKED. Twelve years later I still like it. It gets a bad rap by some people. But the taste is good, a little bitter with mild bite to it. Good amount of carbination makes it feel good going down...

Im not an expert at reviewing beer, but I have tried alot of beers over the years expensive craft beers and cheap kegger party 30 packs (which is I suppose where Red Dog fits in now). Red Dog is a damn good beer at a good price. Reminds me alot of Budweiser, so if you like Bud you should like this.

2.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale yellow color, with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves almost no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains adjuncts, light malts, grain and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with the typical adjunct sweetness that is quickly followed by bready flavors of grain and light malts. The hops presence is as faint as you would expect from this type of beer. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to this beer, mild kick, yet another fizzy yellow beer that is nothing but marketing, marketing, marketing.

2.13/5  rDev +6.5%

oh god.. I'm fairly embarassed to even review this but I found myself in the god-forsaken situation where this is one of the only options at a party, and so might as well...
There is really nothing to even notice about this.. it is basically your standard adjunct lager thru and thru. Light, watery mouthfeel, tastes of nothing but corn adjunct, dismal appearance. As per usual, the only quality thats even average would be the "drinkability" as you could easily chug as much of this garbage as possible, but I certainly dont WANt to drink it.

What CAN this beer make me say? "Bad Dog!" or "Good Dog!"? I CAN't wait to find out.

A finger of foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the characteristic cereal sweetness so prevalent in the style. Mouthfeel was medium with a good bit of sweetness on the tongue. This was a lot more drinkable than the Genny products that I reviewed earlier, but it was still kinda bland. The finish was lightly sweet, pleasant, but not worth seeking out. Ho hum. Good dog, but now you need to sit and stay.

1.78/5  rDev -11%

12oz Can. Pint Glass

A: Clear light yellow. White two finger head disappears into bubbly thin head.

S: Crisp watery. Light Grains

T/M: Watery, very faint taste. Corn Flakes. Little bit dry.

D: Not Good. I would think this was a light beer but it's not. Very little taste at all. I would pass.

Cheers

3.65/5  rDev +82.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have become quite fond of this beer, especially for a an American lager. It has, by far, a superior taste to other lagers and it actually taste decent for a cheap beer. I find myself drinking this more and more as is it doesn't break budgets and it gets the job done. It's appearance isn't anything special and the smell can be misleading at times, but drink this bad boy out of a 32 and I'm sure you will find yourself growing on this brew.

1.08/5  rDev -46%

Pours a light clear yellow with visible carbonation and a small head. The head goes away very quickly. The smell is of some malt and metal, the smell is a little stale. The taste is very bitter, but not hops bitter, just bitter and metalic. There is maybe a hint of grain. The mouthfeel is carbonated moderately and watery. Overall you would not drink more than one of these.

1.05/5  rDev -47.5%

I have always been curious about this interesting looking can of beer. However, one can has answered all curiosity. Pours a watery amber with a bubbly white head. Nose is of old cut grass and stale grains. Taste is bitter and a tad harsh. Thin body over carbonated.

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.