Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
walleye

1.1/5  rDev -45.3%

from the 22. cheaper to buy this than a 12oz. poured a yello with a white head. aroma metallic, corn, straw,hints of malt and hops. flavor, corn husks, wheat, light malts and hops. the only reason I bought this that bieristgut said I should rate this I’ll get even with him

11-26-2004 21:34:16 | More by walleye
moocey

Alabama

Red Dog. Big surprise, it's not red. But that's okay because this is only three dollar macroswill. In fact, it's the most tasteless macroswill miller has to offer. This is even more tasteless than Budweiser products. Not a bad job for a cheap macro adjunct lager. Not bad at all. If I want a "crisp, clean, refreshing" beer that doesn't taste like anything to speak of, I'll drink Red Dog instead of paying two dollars more for a Budweiser.

11-14-2004 05:11:35 | More by moocey
Redrover

2.45/5  rDev +21.9%

32oz brown twist off, lots of numbers on the label, but no apparent freshness dating.

Beer pours a light, bright gold with a fast fading head and shards of lacing.

Beer has a distant aroma of fresh malts/bread. Not bad smelling, just very faint.

The taste is slightly sweet and grainy. The beer has a slight metallic twang (or is that the hops?). Not offensive in any way, not really very good in any way.

This mouthfeel and the beer is under carbonated for this style. Drinkabity is fine for what it is. The beer is better than Bud & Coors, but pales next to some of the good regional brews (think Point, Old Style, etc.).

09-16-2004 16:09:43 | More by Redrover
Gagnonsux

2.53/5  rDev +25.9%

Spent $3.59 on a sixer of "tall-boy" (16 Oz.) cans.

Appearance- On the dark end of the pale spectrum, but definently not red.

Smell- Typical macro smell, honestly no need for elaboration.

Taste- Better than a lot of macros I have tried. No nasty after taste, and pretty smooth going down. Still, not much in the way of flavor though.

Drinkability- I'd have this again when I'm low on money and still want some beer. Better drinkability than "light" macros, but still not the best of all macros.

07-04-2004 02:00:09 | More by Gagnonsux
benmiliron

1.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Paid $5.99 for a 12-pack.

As you might expect, this stuff is pretty ass. Drink it for the novelty, or because it's cheaper than Bud. Either way, for beer in this price range, it's tough to beat the Red Dog.

We used to call our diet "Body by Red Dog". For good reason.

05-11-2004 04:32:04 | More by benmiliron
GreenWBush

Oregon

1.6/5  rDev -20.4%

When at a party (to a slight degree) you must do as the party-goers do. While my friends have accepted the fact that i'll more than likely bring a sixer to their house with proper glassware in tow, acquaintances and strangers still wonder what the hell i'm doing.

So this particular night I decide to go cheap and drink whatevers being served. And it was the wonderously horrible "beer" Red Dog. From the can.

Basically this is a ghost of a beer - the pale appearance is almost eerily white when compared even to Budweiser. There are so many adjuncts on the nose you don't know if you're sniffing the glass or the beer.

The mouthfeel is pithy and watery. I can't even really taste anything going on here but adjuncts.

When it got warmer major rice or corn flavors appeared. Thumbs down.

05-08-2004 02:23:30 | More by GreenWBush
GeoffRizzo

2.7/5  rDev +34.3%

Ah yes, the dog's red, not the beer. Light golden color, slightly bubbly, champagne like presence. Tender sweetness, combined with the ever-present adjunct offerings, yet they mask themselves well, mainly behind some malty sweetness; crisp and slightly carbonated, a tiny notch above the standard macro. A mid-90's staple that has since disappeared, a dear old friend with many memories, a friend that I may see again.

04-11-2004 01:22:37 | More by GeoffRizzo
CBFanWish

1.8/5  rDev -10.4%

The name is Red Dog. The colour is transparent yellow. Do you see what I'm gettig at here? Red. Yellow. Anyway, this is a lackluster, poor showing for a beer. It pours a weak yellow colour with a thin, quickly disipating head. The smell was all skunk. It was absolutly dreadful. Looking past the smell, I took a taste. Light malts with a healthy dose of corn. That's right. Corn. The same stuff you eat on the cob. You know, goes well with a burger? That's the one. This beer won't go well with anything. One good thing about it. The dog on the label looks cool.

03-16-2004 15:48:32 | More by CBFanWish
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

2.33/5  rDev +15.9%

I bought this in a six pack, a) cos it was cheap b) because i'd heard it was good

ok, so i found it its not particularly good, its made by the miller corp for a start

Drank from the bottle, very plain dry taste, kinda malty

Similar to bud or any other macro pale lager, easy enough to drink but its very dull

An all round crappy beer

03-10-2004 11:02:24 | More by cypressbob
WesWes

2.55/5  rDev +26.9%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a spotty white lace head. The aroma is less than average. It boasts of pale malts, rice, and lager yeast; simply awful. The taste is awful as well. It is light and without flavor. It has zero malt character and finishes with a musty aftertaste; very watered down. The mouthfeel sucks. It is a low bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This was my beer of choice when I was 16, but now I wouldn't drink another if I was paid.

03-08-2004 00:19:28 | More by WesWes
Zorro

1.9/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a clear standard macrobrew straw yellow.

Smell is nothing much, just some yeast.

Taste is standard macrobrew flavor. Faint traces of grain and hops. I seriously doubt that this beer is brewed and is any different from Miller Regular. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's the same stuff with a different label.

Mouthfeel is a bit better than water.

Drinkable? Well you can swallow it without being poisoned.

03-07-2004 02:24:59 | More by Zorro
JAL67

1.83/5  rDev -9%

Another attempt from amcro to try and advertise a "Red" beer.

Color is golden straw...ya..real red uh? Has strong taste initially but softens up as it goes down. A beer that is what it is and what it is...cheap "strong" beer that will make you pay in the morning.

Please take alook at the reviews and just say NO!

Cheers.

02-14-2004 05:20:54 | More by JAL67
RoyalT

Appearance – Nice, clear yellow with a faint tinge of orange. The head came up nicely but, as is customary, went down in about ten seconds.

Smell – This has a big grainy corn aroma that actually seems to be kind of smooth as the advertising promises.

Taste – The creamed corn and grain mix together well enough, although I wouldn’t call the flavor good by any stretch of the imagination. The unavoidable sweet finish wasn’t as bad as most.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and crisp. Alas, the big red bulldog is as thin as a continental spaniel with its hair shaved off.

Drinkability – I can’t actually recommend the Red Dog, but if you have to choose between this and an MGD I’d go for this one.

02-14-2004 00:37:05 | More by RoyalT
francisweizen

Alaska

I'm not impressed with this cheap american beer at all. This is all my friend had at his house the other day, so I gave it a try. It basically smelled and tasted like a budweiser, but a little better than a Bud, I guess. I did not see the colour or the head of this beer, because I drank it 'ghetto style' right out of the can. This beer had a pour mouthfeel and a low drinkability factor as well. In fact it was even worse in the cans than it was in the bottles! The appearance, taste, and drinkability all seemed worse to me with this canned version of Red Dog. I'd be like Todd, and say 'WHY!?!?' but than again @ $10 for a 30 pack of this in bottles or cans you can't really complain. A cheap beer that is probably good to get drunk on, I guess.
I'll never know as I would almost definately turn down one of these brews in the future...
Cheers!,
F.

12-19-2003 17:09:41 | More by francisweizen
BeerResearcher

2.42/5  rDev +20.4%

This mild lager pours a shiny gold color with a fast fading white head and little wisps of lace. The aroma is mainly of fresh mowed lawn with a bit of hops. A smooth and mellow malt body is a bit sweet, but also a bit pasty and mealy. There’s not much hop flavor attached to this brew. A hint of citrus and metallic bite can be noticed within the seltzery fizziness, with some concentration.
Red Dog attempts to suggest it’s a “Micro-brew”, but it’s really closer to mass-produced beer.

12-15-2003 01:59:57 | More by BeerResearcher
RedBaron

1.55/5  rDev -22.9%

Rice, rice, rice. Nothing redeemable about this brew. Just a crap beer from a corporate-owned brewery trying to pitch something 'creative'. Oh, I guess it's the cheap factor that sells it.

I had a bottle from a 12-pack my musician buddy brought to practice. I said, 'Oh, Red Dog. I don't think I've had this since college (several years back).' When I tried it again, I remember how godawful it is.

It's sticky, sickly sweet (mostly rice), no hops, no complexity, and only minimally full-bodied.

Although I'm always grateful to a friend who offers me a beer, I told him that next time he buys cheaply, he should buy Pabst Blue Ribbon--at least there's a hint of integrity there...

11-29-2003 05:48:25 | More by RedBaron
Rootdog316

2.4/5  rDev +19.4%

I actually really did enjoy this beer. I heard quite a few bad things about it, but certainly for the price of 3.26 for a six pack ya gotta at least like that. It had a decent aroma, and had a pretty good mouthfeel as well. It was nothing spectacular, but its definitely something I'd buy again in the future.

11-22-2003 05:38:09 | More by Rootdog316
cbill

3.23/5  rDev +60.7%

this is my absolute favorite of the cheap american beers. pale yellow in color, rarely retains a head and smells like preservatives, but it goes down the best of any of them. slight sweetness in taste which fades quickly and leaves little to no aftertaste. easy to drink, nice inwarm weather with a lime. i always have this in my fridge for my cheap beer.

11-21-2003 14:03:31 | More by cbill
SetarconeX

1.4/5  rDev -30.3%

I really tried hard to come up with a raison d'etre for this one. I bought it thinking it might be somewhat red, but it poured out of the bottle the usual piss-yellow cheap lager color. No smell whatsoever. Tastes just like what it is, a cheap generic lager. I'm impressed. I didn't think "Plank Road" could come up with something even less interesting than Icehouse. Good shot, Miller!

09-10-2003 20:19:18 | More by SetarconeX
putnam

1.02/5  rDev -49.3%

awful, dull, soggy, rubbery tasting beer here
I guess it wants to be "Malt Liquor" when it grows up, but for now it tastes like puree of canned green beans and vodka.
"Uncommonly Smooth" means "flacid" or "limp" or "mushy" to me. Spun sugar watery glazed blah!
Avoid at all costs.

08-23-2003 02:20:03 | More by putnam
granger10

Wisconsin

This isn't red in color like I thought it would be given the name. Aroma is of some sweet adjuncts. Taste is of corn adjuncts and slight hops and grain. But it goes down with a harsh flavor that is unyielding to backing off. Medium body and decently carbonated. Just not that good of a beer.

08-09-2003 12:02:51 | More by granger10
Globetrotter

1.58/5  rDev -21.4%

Could be psychological, but I almost think there is a reddish tint to this brew. In any event, the head is weak and gone in no time. There's not much of a nose, but we'll call it malt. The mouthfeel is watered down malt. The taste ... let's see, there must be some taste here ... is, well, fruit syrup and malt? Certainly no hops. Also certainly no chance that I'll have another, or even finish this one. Next!.

06-13-2003 10:27:51 | More by Globetrotter
Reidrover

Oregon

2.42/5  rDev +20.4%

I picked up a 24 oz can of this tonight for old times sake..i used to drink this pretty regular a few years back ( 4 to be exact)
I must say either the quality iof this beer has gone way down..or its better in a long neck ( how i used to drink it).
I certainly remember this beer being smoother and easier to drink than i find tonight..or it may be I am used to better beers nowadays.
Now it tastes like a typical cheapo American lager..certainlly a better deal than Bud, or Coors but way inferior to Miller High Life.

02-08-2003 22:48:36 | More by Reidrover
scottum

Vermont

2.7/5  rDev +34.3%

a couple years ago I entered a design a red dog bottle cap contest online and I actually won. I got $250 for it. Crazy! I was just fooling around online, nothing serious. It was something along the lines of "You've done the dew, now do the brew!"

Red dog beer is not so great though. But for cheap, cheap, macro swill it is my favorite. Soooo cheap!

02-08-2003 17:05:16 | More by scottum
Bruiser81

Kansas

2.05/5  rDev +2%

A buddy of mine drinks this all the time, I try to stay away from it. A light yellow color with hardly any head. No aroma, with very little taste to speak of. I would choose this over many others though because it doesn't have a bad aftertaste like many other canned beers.

02-06-2003 16:57:30 | More by Bruiser81
Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.