Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

rAvg: 2
Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev +80%

When I was just getting into drinking as a kid (21) this was the first one I tried that I actually LIKED. Twelve years later I still like it. It gets a bad rap by some people. But the taste is good, a little bitter with mild bite to it. Good amount of carbination makes it feel good going down...

Im not an expert at reviewing beer, but I have tried alot of beers over the years expensive craft beers and cheap kegger party 30 packs (which is I suppose where Red Dog fits in now). Red Dog is a damn good beer at a good price. Reminds me alot of Budweiser, so if you like Bud you should like this.

2.02/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale yellow color, with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves almost no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains adjuncts, light malts, grain and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with the typical adjunct sweetness that is quickly followed by bready flavors of grain and light malts. The hops presence is as faint as you would expect from this type of beer. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to this beer, mild kick, yet another fizzy yellow beer that is nothing but marketing, marketing, marketing.

2.13/5  rDev +6.5%

oh god.. I'm fairly embarassed to even review this but I found myself in the god-forsaken situation where this is one of the only options at a party, and so might as well...
There is really nothing to even notice about this.. it is basically your standard adjunct lager thru and thru. Light, watery mouthfeel, tastes of nothing but corn adjunct, dismal appearance. As per usual, the only quality thats even average would be the "drinkability" as you could easily chug as much of this garbage as possible, but I certainly dont WANt to drink it.

What CAN this beer make me say? "Bad Dog!" or "Good Dog!"? I CAN't wait to find out.

A finger of foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the characteristic cereal sweetness so prevalent in the style. Mouthfeel was medium with a good bit of sweetness on the tongue. This was a lot more drinkable than the Genny products that I reviewed earlier, but it was still kinda bland. The finish was lightly sweet, pleasant, but not worth seeking out. Ho hum. Good dog, but now you need to sit and stay.

1.8/5  rDev -10%

12oz Can. Pint Glass

A: Clear light yellow. White two finger head disappears into bubbly thin head.

S: Crisp watery. Light Grains

T/M: Watery, very faint taste. Corn Flakes. Little bit dry.

D: Not Good. I would think this was a light beer but it's not. Very little taste at all. I would pass.

Cheers

3.6/5  rDev +80%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have become quite fond of this beer, especially for a an American lager. It has, by far, a superior taste to other lagers and it actually taste decent for a cheap beer. I find myself drinking this more and more as is it doesn't break budgets and it gets the job done. It's appearance isn't anything special and the smell can be misleading at times, but drink this bad boy out of a 32 and I'm sure you will find yourself growing on this brew.

1.08/5  rDev -46%

Pours a light clear yellow with visible carbonation and a small head. The head goes away very quickly. The smell is of some malt and metal, the smell is a little stale. The taste is very bitter, but not hops bitter, just bitter and metalic. There is maybe a hint of grain. The mouthfeel is carbonated moderately and watery. Overall you would not drink more than one of these.

1.06/5  rDev -47%

I have always been curious about this interesting looking can of beer. However, one can has answered all curiosity. Pours a watery amber with a bubbly white head. Nose is of old cut grass and stale grains. Taste is bitter and a tad harsh. Thin body over carbonated.

1.74/5  rDev -13%

I poured 16 oz of this stuff into one of my trusty highballs.

Appearance:
Nothing out of the ordinary, golden yellow in colour, not much in the way of foam, and what little there is disappears very quickly.

Smell:
Acrid, smokey, and a bit bitter. Almost no sign of grain anywhere in there.

Taste:
I'll review it if I ever detect it. If I drank this stuff blindfolded, I'd mistake it for soda water. The only reason this does not get a 1 flat out is that I've had beers that actually tasted bad, not just like nothing.

Mouthfeel:
This stuff feels like I'm drinking dilute (0.5 M) carbonic acid. For those non-chemists reading this, loads of fizz and bubbles, signifying nothing. When I managed not to get a mouthfull of bubbles, this stuff was very thin.

Drinkability:
This stuff is too fizzy to quaff properly, and it doesn't have enough (read any) flavour to enjoy on a sip-by-sip basis. As for a decent buzz, I drank a 16-ounce can of this stuff and I was still able to type this review. For shame! All I can say is Thank God I Only Bought a Four-Pack.

2.35/5  rDev +17.5%

Twenty-four ounces? What a deal, that's two more than a similarly priced can of swill! Yes, Red Dog is doing everything in its power to get in the hands of hobos and college students. It pours a transparent yellow with a big head that doesn't last too long and plenty of visible carbonation. The smell is mercifully weak and mostly corny malt sweetness. The taste is watery malt that if fairly clean and a bit of a metallic taste that may be the last dying attempt to get noticed of some very underwhelming hops. The big problem with this beer is that as it warms the more it tastes like a sweet corn abortion. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean, which is one of the big selling points along with the easy drinkability.

2.4/5  rDev +20%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can

A: tan yellow colored beer, white head

S: smells a bit like a can. hints of bitter hops

T: good nothing great.

M: little body, ok carbonation.

D: good for its price. 13$ for a 30 rack of beer, probably would be really good for a fishing trip. I'm in college and i see myself buying this beer as substitute for keystone, when i plan on partying, and need a change for the usual.

2.7/5  rDev +35%

We all have a beer that got us to where we are today. it would be easy to bag on Red Dog, but I have found memories of Thirty Thursdays at Finnegans in Huntington, LI, with $3 Red Dog pints. Back then quantity was as important as quality.

Today...ok, so its not great. Its a pale yellow color that looks close enough to piss to pass for a urine sample. The smell is standard cheap lager mix of grain and can. The taste is beer - nothing more, nothing less.

Two keys to making the most:
- Pour out of the can
- Keep really, really cold. The second this gets warm, its beyond terrible.

2.41/5  rDev +20.5%

Appearance:
This brew looks pretty standard for the style. The name might lead you to believe that this beer is at least colred red, but it's not; it's a cystal clear golden color. Head formation (~1/2 finger), retention, and lacing are all quite poor.

Smell:
Again, there isn't much to say here given the style. Like many cheap macros, the aroma is an uninticing mix of grain, metal, and hops. The former two scents are the dominant ones, but there is a little detectable hoppiness. It smells like your standard crappy college beer.

Taste:
The taste matches the nose well; unfortunately, this isn't saying much. Strong graininess and mellow hop flavor lead to a very metallic aftertaste. This beer has plenty of bite, but not the good kind - it makes me cringe. The flavor also gets worse as the temperature of the beer rises.

Mouthfeel:
It's not as light as I was expecting. I'd rate the body as medium to medium-light. The beer is fairly smooth given the metallic flavor, but this isn't really saying much.

Drinkability:
I have a feeling that this is what the beer was crafted for (if you can say "crafted"). If there was a redeeming characteristic, I would say that this is probably it. It's easy to drink many of these quickly because you're not skimping out on any flavor.

Summary:
I'm not impressed, but I guess that's easy to say when you're not expecting much. From what I read, this beer's price point is just above that of Milwaukee's Best. It's not too terrible if served very cold and eaten with some food, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try this again. If you're just looking to get drunk, then I suppose this wouldn't be a bad option. I'd say it's a step up from the standard college fare (Keystone, Natural Ice, etc.), but nothing special.

1.15/5  rDev -42.5%

Is there anything lower than awful for taste? There should be in Red Dog's case. I am still shocked to see this around every once in awhile. Who drinks this?

After one beer I can't see how you could want another. There are plenty better cheap beers out there.

3.09/5  rDev +54.5%

Red Dog is a lower-end priced beer with a middle-of-the-road taste. If you are a college kid used to pounding Natty and Keystone, this is a welcomed step up.

I personally think this is a better beer than others may think, although I can understand why some don't like it. Even though I am a college student, my personal ratings for the higher-class beers are on par with everyone else's, so I feel like I know a good beer when I see/taste one. This beer is an exceptional value for the price, and the bottle is very cool-looking. I would recommend Red Dog to someone who wants an okay beer to drink in quantity.

2.31/5  rDev +15.5%

Leftover from a golf outing. Pours a clear pale yellow color with a large fizzy white foam that fades as quickly as it rose.

I can certainly smell this one from a foot and a half away! Already has me wodering if I will be able to finish it. Pretty knappy smelling. Sweet creamed corn, urinal mint and freshly pulled weeds. Not very pleasant.

Taste is sweet and corny. Can claimes to be 'uncommonly smooth'. Compared to what? Antifreeze? I did manage to finish the can without grimacing more than 4 or 5 times. I cant really see any reason to buy this beer, there are better bargain beers out there and I believe I would rather have an Icehouse if given the choice of Plank Road beers.

3.09/5  rDev +54.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

From the 12 fl. oz. can no. 02099-C50979. Sampled Jan 30, 2009. Taste buds can be an amazing thing. Either that or I just got a better sample than some of the previous reviewers.

Appearance - Typical golden-yellow like all the other cheaper macros. However my can ended up with about a two inch deep foamy, bubbly head that diminished afoter about 2 minites.

Smell - Better than most. I actually did notice a hint of barley malts. In fact that aroma was more noticeable to me than the usual grassy, corny, and metallic aroma you tend to get in these cheaper macros.

Mouthfeel - Nothing special here. After swirling it around the tongue it breaks down into straight carbonation within seconds.

Taste - A tiny touch of malts in the flavor but it is a bit overpowered by that corny, grassy, metallic taste you get in cheap macros. It finishes dry.

Its commecial description declares that it won awards in 1994 and 2002 and I have to say the taste is better than I expected. So the fact that it might have picked up the random trophy along the way is not necessarily surprising to me.

3.1/5  rDev +55%

Ok, I gave it a 3.0 across the board. Just because I remember growing up as a kid, watching the Red Dog beer commercials on TV, with the bull-dog roaming the back alleys of cities across this great country.

So, I was at my local liquor store, browsing through the micro section, then I decided to take a walk by the case-beer section. Then I saw the RED DOG starring at me. I have not seen Red Dog in a long time. So I had to pull the trigger and dive into the white-trash lifestyle for a few nights. It's good to change it up.

The beer is a beer you keep ICE COLD, drink from the can, and enjoy the experience. Turn the TV to COPS, sit back, and relax. If it's warm, go out and fire up a good cigar. (reguardless of beer type!) I do enjoy glancing at the can from time to time, to see the big Red Bull Dog.

2.78/5  rDev +39%

The Dog. I wish the funny commercials still aired. Anyhoo...

12-ounce can taken from the 30-pack and poured into my Guinness 1759 Trademark pint glass.

A - pours a crystal clear golden yellow body with a 1-inch thick bubbly head that fades to a broken patch rather quickly. No lacing.

S - Similar to most macros of its kind. Faint aroma of hops and not much else.

T - Mild malts, very light, almost sweet with a very faint bitter finish.

M - Good carbonation that doesn't fade away too quickly.

D - Very drinkable. Not filling at all.

1.26/5  rDev -37%

Reviewed on 5/21/08. Can. Light amber and very carbonated, typical appearance of a pale lager. For a beirut/beer pong beer, it's better than Bud Light or similar beers, a little smoother to drink and less skunky and watery, but else can I say? I drank a few too many of these and had a pretty bad night, so I don't have fond memories of this beer at all, to say the least!
1/2/1/1/3 (0.8/5)

1.56/5  rDev -22%

Just an awful brew. I can't believe I used to drink this stuff. In my defense, I only drank it for a quick buzz, which is for all intensive purposes the only reason to actually buy it.

The smell and taste are just plain awful. I smells like cardboard and water. At least there is a noticeable amount of carbonation.

This brew isn't all that drinkable either. Considering there are hundreds of other macro's that would be easier to drink, this is not a good choice under any circumstances. I do, however, remember it being $12 bucks a case, which for the college kid on a budget, isn't all that bad.

2.28/5  rDev +14%

A friend who will remain nameless (Nuzzy) convinced me to try this beer. He came on a long weekend wheeling trip with us, only bringing one change of clothes and a case of the Dog. I figured it must be good if that is all he needed.

I was wrong. It tastes like wet dog... and smells just as bad.

2/5  rDev 0%

This brew has a very light amber color with a slight sweet taste but also a little bitter. Does not have a very strong taste, a bit watered down. The smell of the beer is bit yeast like but not very appetizing just the same.

This is something you might want to try if on a budget or maybe something you might get for a frat party.

2.28/5  rDev +14%

The color is a pale gold color. It's clear, you can see through it easily with no distortion. You can see the carbonation bubbles rise through it easily. What head there is made up of tiny ultra-white bubbles. It disappears quickly leaving nothing on the top of the beer or any lacing on the side of the glass.

There is a scent of malts and yeast to the beer that combine to remind me of boiled corn. It's not the most pleasant smell, but yet not a horrible turn off either. The flavor is very subtle grain combination. There is almost no hint of hops or even bitterness to it at all. There was no noticeable aftertaste.

This is a light bodied beer that borders on almost being medium bodied. There is a very mild carbonation level to it.

I remember when this beer first came out. I was in college and you could buy it cheap. This is not a beer I would go out of my way to buy, but it's not undrinkable. There are a ton of other beers that I would pick up before buying Red Dog. Basically the only way I'd drink this is if it is free or if it was really cheap and I was hard up for money.

1.5/5  rDev -25%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Golden colored with hardly any head or lace. It's actually a pretty bad beer. The aroma is a musty foul smell with the taste not much better. There really is no flavor, other than the musty wheat taste with a tough to get down finish. Something I'd have considered in College. No surprise that it is brewed by Miller...

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.