Red Dog - Miller Brewing Co.

Red DogRed Dog

awful

awful

rAvg: 2
Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Dog Alström Bros
2.33/5  rDev +16.5%

Twenty-four ounces? What a deal, that's two more than a similarly priced can of swill! Yes, Red Dog is doing everything in its power to get in the hands of hobos and college students. It pours a transparent yellow with a big head that doesn't last too long and plenty of visible carbonation. The smell is mercifully weak and mostly corny malt sweetness. The taste is watery malt that if fairly clean and a bit of a metallic taste that may be the last dying attempt to get noticed of some very underwhelming hops. The big problem with this beer is that as it warms the more it tastes like a sweet corn abortion. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean, which is one of the big selling points along with the easy drinkability.

2.48/5  rDev +24%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can

A: tan yellow colored beer, white head

S: smells a bit like a can. hints of bitter hops

T: good nothing great.

M: little body, ok carbonation.

D: good for its price. 13$ for a 30 rack of beer, probably would be really good for a fishing trip. I'm in college and i see myself buying this beer as substitute for keystone, when i plan on partying, and need a change for the usual.

2.75/5  rDev +37.5%

We all have a beer that got us to where we are today. it would be easy to bag on Red Dog, but I have found memories of Thirty Thursdays at Finnegans in Huntington, LI, with $3 Red Dog pints. Back then quantity was as important as quality.

Today...ok, so its not great. Its a pale yellow color that looks close enough to piss to pass for a urine sample. The smell is standard cheap lager mix of grain and can. The taste is beer - nothing more, nothing less.

Two keys to making the most:
- Pour out of the can
- Keep really, really cold. The second this gets warm, its beyond terrible.

2.38/5  rDev +19%

Appearance:
This brew looks pretty standard for the style. The name might lead you to believe that this beer is at least colred red, but it's not; it's a cystal clear golden color. Head formation (~1/2 finger), retention, and lacing are all quite poor.

Smell:
Again, there isn't much to say here given the style. Like many cheap macros, the aroma is an uninticing mix of grain, metal, and hops. The former two scents are the dominant ones, but there is a little detectable hoppiness. It smells like your standard crappy college beer.

Taste:
The taste matches the nose well; unfortunately, this isn't saying much. Strong graininess and mellow hop flavor lead to a very metallic aftertaste. This beer has plenty of bite, but not the good kind - it makes me cringe. The flavor also gets worse as the temperature of the beer rises.

Mouthfeel:
It's not as light as I was expecting. I'd rate the body as medium to medium-light. The beer is fairly smooth given the metallic flavor, but this isn't really saying much.

Drinkability:
I have a feeling that this is what the beer was crafted for (if you can say "crafted"). If there was a redeeming characteristic, I would say that this is probably it. It's easy to drink many of these quickly because you're not skimping out on any flavor.

Summary:
I'm not impressed, but I guess that's easy to say when you're not expecting much. From what I read, this beer's price point is just above that of Milwaukee's Best. It's not too terrible if served very cold and eaten with some food, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try this again. If you're just looking to get drunk, then I suppose this wouldn't be a bad option. I'd say it's a step up from the standard college fare (Keystone, Natural Ice, etc.), but nothing special.

1.13/5  rDev -43.5%

Is there anything lower than awful for taste? There should be in Red Dog's case. I am still shocked to see this around every once in awhile. Who drinks this?

After one beer I can't see how you could want another. There are plenty better cheap beers out there.

3.1/5  rDev +55%

Red Dog is a lower-end priced beer with a middle-of-the-road taste. If you are a college kid used to pounding Natty and Keystone, this is a welcomed step up.

I personally think this is a better beer than others may think, although I can understand why some don't like it. Even though I am a college student, my personal ratings for the higher-class beers are on par with everyone else's, so I feel like I know a good beer when I see/taste one. This beer is an exceptional value for the price, and the bottle is very cool-looking. I would recommend Red Dog to someone who wants an okay beer to drink in quantity.

2.35/5  rDev +17.5%

Leftover from a golf outing. Pours a clear pale yellow color with a large fizzy white foam that fades as quickly as it rose.

I can certainly smell this one from a foot and a half away! Already has me wodering if I will be able to finish it. Pretty knappy smelling. Sweet creamed corn, urinal mint and freshly pulled weeds. Not very pleasant.

Taste is sweet and corny. Can claimes to be 'uncommonly smooth'. Compared to what? Antifreeze? I did manage to finish the can without grimacing more than 4 or 5 times. I cant really see any reason to buy this beer, there are better bargain beers out there and I believe I would rather have an Icehouse if given the choice of Plank Road beers.

3.1/5  rDev +55%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

From the 12 fl. oz. can no. 02099-C50979. Sampled Jan 30, 2009. Taste buds can be an amazing thing. Either that or I just got a better sample than some of the previous reviewers.

Appearance - Typical golden-yellow like all the other cheaper macros. However my can ended up with about a two inch deep foamy, bubbly head that diminished afoter about 2 minites.

Smell - Better than most. I actually did notice a hint of barley malts. In fact that aroma was more noticeable to me than the usual grassy, corny, and metallic aroma you tend to get in these cheaper macros.

Mouthfeel - Nothing special here. After swirling it around the tongue it breaks down into straight carbonation within seconds.

Taste - A tiny touch of malts in the flavor but it is a bit overpowered by that corny, grassy, metallic taste you get in cheap macros. It finishes dry.

Its commecial description declares that it won awards in 1994 and 2002 and I have to say the taste is better than I expected. So the fact that it might have picked up the random trophy along the way is not necessarily surprising to me.

3.1/5  rDev +55%

Ok, I gave it a 3.0 across the board. Just because I remember growing up as a kid, watching the Red Dog beer commercials on TV, with the bull-dog roaming the back alleys of cities across this great country.

So, I was at my local liquor store, browsing through the micro section, then I decided to take a walk by the case-beer section. Then I saw the RED DOG starring at me. I have not seen Red Dog in a long time. So I had to pull the trigger and dive into the white-trash lifestyle for a few nights. It's good to change it up.

The beer is a beer you keep ICE COLD, drink from the can, and enjoy the experience. Turn the TV to COPS, sit back, and relax. If it's warm, go out and fire up a good cigar. (reguardless of beer type!) I do enjoy glancing at the can from time to time, to see the big Red Bull Dog.

2.78/5  rDev +39%

The Dog. I wish the funny commercials still aired. Anyhoo...

12-ounce can taken from the 30-pack and poured into my Guinness 1759 Trademark pint glass.

A - pours a crystal clear golden yellow body with a 1-inch thick bubbly head that fades to a broken patch rather quickly. No lacing.

S - Similar to most macros of its kind. Faint aroma of hops and not much else.

T - Mild malts, very light, almost sweet with a very faint bitter finish.

M - Good carbonation that doesn't fade away too quickly.

D - Very drinkable. Not filling at all.

1.25/5  rDev -37.5%

Reviewed on 5/21/08. Can. Light amber and very carbonated, typical appearance of a pale lager. For a beirut/beer pong beer, it's better than Bud Light or similar beers, a little smoother to drink and less skunky and watery, but else can I say? I drank a few too many of these and had a pretty bad night, so I don't have fond memories of this beer at all, to say the least!
1/2/1/1/3 (0.8/5)

1.55/5  rDev -22.5%

Just an awful brew. I can't believe I used to drink this stuff. In my defense, I only drank it for a quick buzz, which is for all intensive purposes the only reason to actually buy it.

The smell and taste are just plain awful. I smells like cardboard and water. At least there is a noticeable amount of carbonation.

This brew isn't all that drinkable either. Considering there are hundreds of other macro's that would be easier to drink, this is not a good choice under any circumstances. I do, however, remember it being $12 bucks a case, which for the college kid on a budget, isn't all that bad.

2.25/5  rDev +12.5%

A friend who will remain nameless (Nuzzy) convinced me to try this beer. He came on a long weekend wheeling trip with us, only bringing one change of clothes and a case of the Dog. I figured it must be good if that is all he needed.

I was wrong. It tastes like wet dog... and smells just as bad.

2/5  rDev 0%

This brew has a very light amber color with a slight sweet taste but also a little bitter. Does not have a very strong taste, a bit watered down. The smell of the beer is bit yeast like but not very appetizing just the same.

This is something you might want to try if on a budget or maybe something you might get for a frat party.

2.33/5  rDev +16.5%

The color is a pale gold color. It's clear, you can see through it easily with no distortion. You can see the carbonation bubbles rise through it easily. What head there is made up of tiny ultra-white bubbles. It disappears quickly leaving nothing on the top of the beer or any lacing on the side of the glass.

There is a scent of malts and yeast to the beer that combine to remind me of boiled corn. It's not the most pleasant smell, but yet not a horrible turn off either. The flavor is very subtle grain combination. There is almost no hint of hops or even bitterness to it at all. There was no noticeable aftertaste.

This is a light bodied beer that borders on almost being medium bodied. There is a very mild carbonation level to it.

I remember when this beer first came out. I was in college and you could buy it cheap. This is not a beer I would go out of my way to buy, but it's not undrinkable. There are a ton of other beers that I would pick up before buying Red Dog. Basically the only way I'd drink this is if it is free or if it was really cheap and I was hard up for money.

1.5/5  rDev -25%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Golden colored with hardly any head or lace. It's actually a pretty bad beer. The aroma is a musty foul smell with the taste not much better. There really is no flavor, other than the musty wheat taste with a tough to get down finish. Something I'd have considered in College. No surprise that it is brewed by Miller...

2.98/5  rDev +49%

Pretty much just another macro, but I don't mind it. No head to speak of and smells rather average for cheap beer. Tastes malty sweet and corny. Mild grassy hop helps the balance, but not by a lot. This beer is passable and that's about it. For the ultra cheap price (3.99 for a six-pack of tall boys) its a great alternative if you're on a budget.

2.53/5  rDev +26.5%

Nose:
Light toasty sweet grainy malt with a sour hopped edge.

Look:
Pours a little darker than pale golden yellow with good clarity and a little fizzy head with poor retention.

Flavor:
Malty attack - grainy and toasty with a mild caramel sweetness. Very dry. Fairly void of unpleasant flavors. Very mild astringent edge hiding in and around a hop-laced tartness. Moderately ostentatious cooked veggie flavor - particularly corn.

Feel:
Spicy carbonation with a medium-light body. I wouldn't call it uncommonly smooth.

The Verdict:
A conventional beer: an alcoholic beverage made by brewing and fermentation from cereals, usually malted barley, and flavored with hops and the like for a slightly bitter taste. This one lies in the nether-region between good and bad.

3.18/5  rDev +59%

Appearance: Pours a nice golden/clear yellow. The head fizzes and quickly disappears with a faint ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Corny and sweet with a faint tinge of hops.

Taste: Not bad, not bad... corny and sweet, just like the smell... I would compare it to Budweiser.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing - a little heavy, but not too heavy.

Drinkability: I do not really think that I will drink this all of the time, but I must say that after mowing the grass last week this beer tasted damn fine... a good lawnmower/hot summer day beer.

3.15/5  rDev +57.5%

I poured this one from a 16oz can into a pint glass. The color was a very pale yellow. [The dog is red not the beer] It formed a small head that quickly faded out. Red Dog has a light malt smell of cornflakes and hay. The palate is light and thin with light cereal like malt favor. At a little over three bucks for a six-pack of 16oz cans this one is good if you are really low on cash. It's also good at putting out the fire of an extra hot taco. Ha ha.

2.1/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This is pretty bad, but to me it beats out some like because it at least has some ok flavour.

It's appearnace is pretty standard, but slightly on the higher side for cheap/basic US macro lager due to a decent head: it's gold and bubbly with a very big white head thar diminishes only slowly to a thin, lasting foamy top.

The aroma is the weakest point of the beer: it smells of dust, a hint of moldy towels, and perfume. It's actually slightly unpleasant.

The taste and feel are better, but not much. It is slightly roughly alcoholic and has a slightly rough, watery feel. There is a strong, corn tortilla taste and nothing else. This at least gives it flavour but it gets really tiresome. Also, although watery, its strong corn quality gives it a soft fullness that makes it a bit heavy and results in a beer that is not even crisp or refreshing, usually one of the strong points of decent cheap lagers.

3.1/5  rDev +55%

24oz can (99 cents), served in a frosted pint glass.

A - golden color with a small white head that completely went away after a few minutes.

S - grainy malt aroma.

T - light malty flavor with a slight bitterness on the finish.

M - light bodied with ok carbonation feel.

D - easy enough to drink a few of these, but it tastes much better in a glass than it does from the can.

Final Note: it is what it is and IMO this beer's flavor beats the same style beers at the same price (Coors, Keystone & Icehouse).

2.7/5  rDev +35%

A fast pour into a pilsener glass yields a tiny white head that dies really fast. That's the best thing I can saw about the pour.

Smells halfway decent, for the style. The malt slightly weedy with no off nodes, no chemicals or adjunct metal. None of the sour breath of a hobo you get with many other 30-for-$10 beers.

Tastes bland and uninspired but not offensive or completely without appeal. There's a sweet little kick of beeriness in there, some dry cereal malt that's almost worth drinking. Very smooth mouthfeel, surprisingly, and its complete lack of off nodes make it quite drinkable.

A fine lawnmower beer, I guess.

2.1/5  rDev +5%

Looks like white grape juice. Little carbonation is noted and no head is erected. I hate it when no head is erected. Aroma is sweet and corny. That's it. Taste is like a mixture of 3 parts water, 1 part craft brewed lager, with a little corn to add some depth. The body of the beer is actually approaching medium and the carbonation is not overly fizzy as many macros are. Still, this isn't one I'd revisit. Give me a choice of this or water on a hot summer day and I'll drink water all day.

2.4/5  rDev +20%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Nothing really outstanding about this beer. It's not particularly good but it's far from the worst I've had. It's darker than I expected it to be after sipping it from the can. The taste leaves a bit to be desired, but if you throw it in the freezer and let it get really cold it's not half bad.

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.