2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Southpaw Light - Miller Brewing Co.

Southpaw LightSouthpaw Light

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 08-16-2001)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 91 | Reviews: 46 | Show All Ratings:
jime

When I realized I was willing to drive all over the place to find it I understood finally that this is my favorite beer. If you are looking for a light beer that has a full-body feel and taste then this is the beer for you. All other light beers end up tasting like water with some beer in it by comparison. With that said, compared to Miller Lite, you'll be having an extra (approx.)thirty calories, but considering the trade off, it is well worth it. This is easily Miller's best ("light") beer. Well done!

01-12-2013 02:28:28 | More by jime
Infidel1717

4.03/5  rDev +73.7%

I was in the woods getting fucked up for a week, eating mushrooms, drinking moonshine, and drinking budget beer. We had a store about 5 miles up the road, so after we would run out of all the good shit, we would go get some cheap brews. Which meant Icehouse and Southpaw Light. (thank god for the plank road brewery)
The taste is very similar to a Natty Ice....and i'm a big fan of Ice beers except bud ice. The smell isn't unlike an icehouse. it's a little stronger which you might not even realize b/c its a "light" beer. but this is a light beer for Men goddammit!
southpaw rules!

05-16-2012 18:01:20 | More by Infidel1717
Rocker

4.98/5  rDev +114.7%

If you are a pilsner fan trying pretend your tough enough to drink lager, it will overpower your TV ad light taste buds.This is no sissy's beer, this is for those that can actually appreciate the taste of extra hops propping up a light beer. Not our typically rice and seltzer thinned big name light. If you're a liker of lagers and occasionally like a slightly cidery stout this is as close to it you'll get in a US light beer. Somewhere between a Heineken or Grolsch and a Mickey's and yet still a light beer. If this is in the store I will choose it over any other beer. I am known to drive miles for it. I will drink this room temp warm on opening or ice cold, in between, why not leave it warm? Only nancy's can only drink Lager cold, this holds up to the real bear can you drink it completely warm test, I dare you fair Nancies. Now the acid in the extra hops pre can liner days makes me still recommend it in the bottle. Again not a sissy's beer it is stronger beer and your nose will smell a bit of Alcohol, it is a 5.9% brew, it is over hopped without any of the usual heavy side tastes that go along with extra hops. It will be the main finish,though light, you'll find out if you really like hops or not. This is the most drinkable not for sissies light beer on the market. Ive brewed before, if they stop selling it, I hope it is available as brewing stock shortly after, like a prohibition malt bag.Only problem with this beer is its smooth enough to forget it is 5.9% . I would greatly miss this real beer taste in a light beer. If you dont like it have a glass Chardonay you big sissy or a watery Big Ad light, and take a moment to put more mousse in your hair, straighten your collar,try to be cool to your fake suburban frat brothers, pretend other beers are cooler because you pay more with your knees to floor Roman haircut, and kiss your mother in laws butt.
www.MetalRecordingServices.com

03-10-2012 00:00:28 | More by Rocker
sidearm37

4.58/5  rDev +97.4%

I have drank this beer since my college days of the late 1990's. I still drink and enjoy it today. Can only find it sold at certain stores, in certain geographical locations. Dissappointed when I can not find it in a store, which happens more often than not.

03-03-2012 00:58:22 | More by sidearm37
cnally

Indiana

2.08/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was, in short, the beer of my college years. Let's see how it stacks up now that I've "grown up".

The appearance is cystal clear pale yellow, so low on the SRM scale you can't even believe it. A surprisingly stubborn white head sticks around for longer than I would have expected.

Grassy, grainy aroma, a little bit moldy and sour as these low complexity beers tend to have--little to no hop character and reliant on adjuncts--probably corn.

Super sweet, almost artificially so. Little depth of flavor besides the sweetness delivered mostly on the wings of the corn you picked up in the aroma. A little tinny and off like seltzer water.

The mouthfeel is a little more fizzy than your average light lager. Still thin and lacking any real body but a little more of a kick than expected.

Shatters my expectations, I guess. Pretty drinkable and there are not terribly disgusting off flavors, though it does come off a little too metallic for me to recommend it as a good lawnmower beer.

08-22-2011 00:17:59 | More by cnally
northaustin

2.35/5  rDev +1.3%

i will begin my review by stating that this is without a doubt the worst beer i have ever tried.

appearance: thin yellow, with a shitload of rapidly disappearing white head that is uneven and leaves no lacing.

smell: uncooked corn kernels

taste: very similiar to other adjunct lagers, but this one has an astringent finish that i just cannot look past. cut grass/lemony on top of BMC is the best way to describe it.

mouthfeel: drinks like a regular lager, but follows with a harsh bite that dries the mouth and tongue.

drinkability: dear. god. no.

05-11-2011 23:50:49 | More by northaustin
JayS2629

Alabama

1.7/5  rDev -26.7%

A- Thin pale yellow, frothy white head that fades fast into thin ring, no retention, no lace.

S- Not much here. Corn, water and rice. Grassy and metallic notes.

T- Watery, corn and mush. Musty hints of grass and rice, metallic notes.

M- Thin, watery, over-carbonated

D- Very watery and bland with nasty metallic notes.

01-17-2011 02:38:02 | More by JayS2629
TheKingofWichita

1.73/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poor beer. Miller really just can't make decent beer, even for a huge over done company such as it is.
Pours a light straw color with a thin white head and no lacing. Smells of sweet corn and some grain. Tastes like both with some random bits of bitterness. Mouthfeel is thin and nasty. Drinkability is decent.

10-11-2010 18:38:59 | More by TheKingofWichita
mwa423

2.38/5  rDev +2.6%

It's spring break, I'm in a new state (Tennessee), the store out of Yuengling, what is a guy to do? Well, a flyer of this stuff.

A - Pours a very light clear yellow with a finger of frothy white head.

S - Uh, corn...like, nothing but corn...it's scary.

T - Almost no taste, so close to water it's frightening. There is a hint of malt and plenty of adjunct. I can't say it's bad, because there's just nothing there.

M/D - Mouthfeel is like the taste, horrifically watery. I suppose this is a semi-drinkable beer because there's nothing there.

Well hey, for a $6.99 12 pack, it was worth the flyer. Good for beer pong.

03-31-2010 03:35:07 | More by mwa423
ChainGangGuy

2.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Best Before date of May 24, 2010 marked on the side of the bottle neck.

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow body with a fine, fizzy, white head that sputters out fairly quickly.

Smell: Not particularly appealing aroma smelling of an assemblage of light notes: grainy pils malt, DMS, floral hops, and corn kernels.

Taste: Mild taste of pilsner malts, including hints of grain and sulfur. Slight grassy, floral tones with a smidgen of hop bitterness. Finale of lightly sweet corn tossed with pepper on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: A not-so-light light beer at 123 calories. Follow the lager drinking rules of "drink it cold, drink it fast", as it starts to become a bit grating as it warms.

03-30-2010 05:50:28 | More by ChainGangGuy
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.39/5  rDev +3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Looks thin as can be, looks like someone spilled their water in my beer! No smell noticeable, other than big brewery can smell, i.e. aluminum and corn.

Taste, more aluminum and corn, but I must say, its better than a lot of light beers I've had. A decent yeast or fruity strain to it. If Miller Light is triple hopped, than this is too I guess, because there is a faint hop aspect to it. Leaves a decent mouthfeel presence, and is very drinkable if you're into that kind of I drank 12 beers vibe.

01-07-2010 23:29:46 | More by Beerandraiderfan
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

3.1/5  rDev +33.6%

Can into pint glass.

Pours absolutely crystal clear pale, pale yellow, with a thinnish white head that settles into a thin but persistent layer of foam. Negligible lacing.

Nose is sweet cereal grains and light pilsner malt, faint sulfur melds with a very light hop note.

Taste is, as expected, dry and very clean. More light cereal grain coming through, more sulfur with a sweet, cooked vegetable presence, and a faint grassy hop presence towards the finish. Not all together bad for the style - I've certainly had a number of very poorly executed craft beers that I'd rank behind this.

Mouthfeel is completely run of the mill - lightish but coarse carbonation with a light body and a very faint but noticeable finish.

Drinkability is totally middle of the road for the style as well - high marks for actually tasting some nice malt and hops in the flavor, but the vegetable notes are a bit weird and offputting.

12-10-2009 01:01:02 | More by JohnQVegas
LittleLeity

District of Columbia

1.38/5  rDev -40.5%

I last had Southpaw in my fraternity house in college. We had bought a big box for our pledges to drink (shocking I know). Now, we had a strict anti-hazing policy, and my policy as pledge master was that I wouldn't make the pledges do anything I wouldn't do myself. I took one sip of the Southpaw, apologized, and went to get them Newcastle on my own dime to make it up to them. Maybe our batch was skunked, but I never bothered with Southpaw again to find out.

07-30-2009 16:34:28 | More by LittleLeity
PatrickJR

3.13/5  rDev +34.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear pale yellow with a quarter inch of head that rises and falls quickly. No lacing.

S - Cereal grain mostly. Hints of DMS as well. About what I expected.

T - Not too shabby for a light lager. Graininess dominates but there is a hint of grassiness late palate. Mild but noticable bitterness.

M - What I expected, perhaps a touch better. Light bodied of course but not nearly as watery as I would've guessed. High carbonation provides a crisp experience.

D - Not my first choice by any means, but Southpaw Light is actually fairly decent for the style. This tastes more like a macro than a light, which counts for something.

02-26-2009 10:02:05 | More by PatrickJR
ncbeermonger

2.55/5  rDev +9.9%

mmmm water,
Well it takes me back to the days when I had no money, and North Carolina had no idea that high gravity could have something to do with beer.
It tastes like water, with no sense of hops, or alchohal to speak of. It is not filling which I guess is a plus for a light beer. I feel as though I could have 12 of these and still need more though my consistent trips to the restroom would tell me otherwise. It is a gateway beer....and we all know what that means!
I would choose southpaw light over most any other American light beer, but I don't know when the next time i will choose this beer categorize will be. Perhaps never!

10-21-2008 20:11:40 | More by ncbeermonger
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev +15.5%

Found this beer in Morristown TN. Fares pretty well compared to other light beers on the market, however I doubt if it is all that light. The flavors end up quite sweet with a blend of pilsner malts and cereal grains. Although indicating the beer is 'double-hopped' the beer only has a mild increase in hop bitterness and brings a grassy flavor that also becomes a bit metallic. Sulfer flavors and vegitable flavors are there but don't really kill the beer. Aromas reveal the same character but cleaner with the sweetness. Textures a a bit weighted for light beers and do deter a bit. Finishes pretty clean with a sweet, vegitable note. Pretty average throughout with a mild distraction here and there.

09-22-2008 18:00:29 | More by BEERchitect

2.65/5  rDev +14.2%

My buddy recently went east, and brought home some of these as a novelty. So, I figured I would pop one open and review it. Here we go!

A: Very clear, light yellow. I didnt pay any attention to the head or anything else

S: Bitterness and water, with a small hint of malt

T: Watery, some malt, and lots of bitterness. You can also taste a little alcohol since the maltiness is held in check. Not too bad

M: Thin. The whole brew is thin

D: Average. I could drink a few if need be

This is not readily available in my neck of the woods, so I wont be drinking it regularly. But, if I happen to end up out east, I might drink a few, as it isnt bad at all

06-24-2008 09:11:25 | More by 1099
ShrinerMcBitey

2.13/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer is part of my recent "Recession Refreshin'" effort to review cheap ($10 or less/12 pack)beers. I am in search of the "BEST" under $10 a 12 Pack beer.

I just bought a 12 pack of "South Paw Light" which claims its 'double hopped" the label also states 5.0% ABV. It's a Plank Road product ( Miller ). $7.49 a 12 pack brown bottles.

It is ok, (A)pours very light gold, quick head that goes away pretty fast. Very minimal lacing. It does stay pretty bubbly suggesting relatively high carbonation. (S)There is little to no smell at all. (T)Taste is predominantly alcohol with some corn undertone.(M) Water, alchol. (D) Umm, drinkable, but not so enjoyable.

The "recession refreshin'" perfect cheap beer hunt continues...

06-04-2008 23:20:43 | More by ShrinerMcBitey
gearkraft

1.9/5  rDev -18.1%

A: A golden and burnt yellow appearance with nearly no head nor lacing. Nothing too exciting, at least its not clear.

S: I get a light corn/mealy/papery type smell. As far as beer smells go, this doesnt really have too much of anything to write home about... Unfortunately dull.

T: A very bland splash of corn is really the only thing I taste. The 12 pack box claims its double hopped, but I taste absolutely none. A very disappointing beer, however at least it wasnt bitter or cheap tasting.

M: Mouthfeel is light, dry, and quick. No residual or lingering feeling or taste. Nothing fancy, but pleasant.

D: Well, after trying my first one, I cant say id buy this beer again. Its very simple, lacks flavor, and really for the price I can get Pabst which I enjoy exponentially more. The decent ABV means a buzz can be obtained on the cheap. If youre kicking it with your friends mostly eating, with little attention to beverages... this might be an option. I wouldnt recommend really though.

CLIFSNOTES: A cheap light and 'thin' beer.

03-17-2008 00:55:24 | More by gearkraft
bboven

3.35/5  rDev +44.4%

Reviewed to style!!

Medium yellow body with a thin veil of head that actually sticks around.

Smells of sweet corn and dusty hops. Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

Taste is sweet corn, and that's about it. More flavor than some, however.

Very Very drying. Highly carb onated. The intense drying is something you don't get with these sometimes.

Better and flavor than some in the style. A slightly above average light lager.

02-03-2008 19:54:19 | More by bboven
jadpsu

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

As evidenced by its 123 calories this beer is heavier than the typical light beer. Pours to a generous head but it disapates too quickly. Oder is of grain and corn husk.
A good thirst quencher on a hot day even if a bit thin. Inexpensive (at least in Ga.) and as light beers go better than the average.

02-01-2008 02:57:52 | More by jadpsu
ShredVicious

2.38/5  rDev +2.6%

A decent golden color, this beer has the typical sweet corn smell of American macro light brews. Taste-wise, this beer isn't awful. It taste much like it smells: Sweet and corny. A moderate carbonation gives it a clean soda like crispness that makes it somewhat refreshing. Considering the cost and quality comparison to other major American light beers, Southpaw is to me the way to go if you must.

10-18-2007 21:10:32 | More by ShredVicious
TravelingBeerMug

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Doesn't look like a light beer; Appears dark golden and a has a bubbly white head with some lacing. Super corn smell. It doesn't taste bad. I mostly noticed corn and slight hoppiness. Sticky aftertaste. Moderate carbonation and slightly watery going down. It's a drinkable cheap beer.

07-19-2007 03:01:10 | More by TravelingBeerMug
ruleof72

2.88/5  rDev +24.1%

This was a typical semi-bitter pale colored lager. The head was thin and quickly dissipated. Nothing special but definitely drinkable. Tastes like Miller with a bit more refinement. I would have this beer on a hot Summer day after cutting the grass. Refreshing in the heat.

11-25-2006 15:24:06 | More by ruleof72
mnesporov

2.6/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Presentation: 12oz can

Appearance: Golden Yellow with a slightly watery look to it. Head quickly dissipated to a fine lace.

Smell: Grain and little hop smell to it very acidic smell to it.

Taste: Taste like sparkling water with a mix of grains and alcohol.

Mouth-feel: Very crisp with high carbonation and a watered down feel.

Drink-Ability: Hey what can I say I used to drink the crap out of the beer for the simple fact it was 8.99 for a case in my hometown. This is definitely a cheap crappy bear but it did its job real well back in my high school years. But I don’t recommend going out and just buying this one.

11-08-2006 16:50:10 | More by mnesporov
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Southpaw Light from Miller Brewing Co.