Southpaw Light - Miller Brewing Co.

Southpaw LightSouthpaw Light

to view more.
Ratings: 101 | Reviews: 47
Reviews by northaustin:
2.33/5  rDev +0.4%

i will begin my review by stating that this is without a doubt the worst beer i have ever tried.

appearance: thin yellow, with a shitload of rapidly disappearing white head that is uneven and leaves no lacing.

smell: uncooked corn kernels

taste: very similiar to other adjunct lagers, but this one has an astringent finish that i just cannot look past. cut grass/lemony on top of BMC is the best way to describe it.

mouthfeel: drinks like a regular lager, but follows with a harsh bite that dries the mouth and tongue.

drinkability: dear. god. no.

2.31/5  rDev -0.4%

Not really a review of this, more of a nostalgic remembrance. At Auburn this was my friends and mine drink of choice. Went down clean, cold, and with a 5.0% kick for under $3 a six pack which is all we wanted. Not the best tasting stuff, but not bah tasting either. Actually I would have to say it was pretty much just devoid of taste. My brother in law always called it "that left handed kangaroo beer." I've on occasion been tempted to pick up a sixer for sentimental reasons.

When I realized I was willing to drive all over the place to find it I understood finally that this is my favorite beer. If you are looking for a light beer that has a full-body feel and taste then this is the beer for you. All other light beers end up tasting like water with some beer in it by comparison. With that said, compared to Miller Lite, you'll be having an extra (approx.)thirty calories, but considering the trade off, it is well worth it. This is easily Miller's best ("light") beer. Well done!

2.13/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer is part of my recent "Recession Refreshin'" effort to review cheap ($10 or less/12 pack)beers. I am in search of the "BEST" under $10 a 12 Pack beer.

I just bought a 12 pack of "South Paw Light" which claims its 'double hopped" the label also states 5.0% ABV. It's a Plank Road product ( Miller ). $7.49 a 12 pack brown bottles.

It is ok, (A)pours very light gold, quick head that goes away pretty fast. Very minimal lacing. It does stay pretty bubbly suggesting relatively high carbonation. (S)There is little to no smell at all. (T)Taste is predominantly alcohol with some corn undertone.(M) Water, alchol. (D) Umm, drinkable, but not so enjoyable.

The "recession refreshin'" perfect cheap beer hunt continues...

2.36/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Looks thin as can be, looks like someone spilled their water in my beer! No smell noticeable, other than big brewery can smell, i.e. aluminum and corn.

Taste, more aluminum and corn, but I must say, its better than a lot of light beers I've had. A decent yeast or fruity strain to it. If Miller Light is triple hopped, than this is too I guess, because there is a faint hop aspect to it. Leaves a decent mouthfeel presence, and is very drinkable if you're into that kind of I drank 12 beers vibe.

1.6/5  rDev -31%

Southpaw Light
2 Kangaroo's playing volleyball. It seems the logo changes from time to time.
12 pack was a gift from my brother-in-law(virginia beach)

Appearance- looks and pours exactly like ginger ale. same fizzy bubbles that pop as quickly as you pour it.
Smell- sweet like ginger ale. corn brewed.
taste- sweet and watery. slight alcohol taste. not horrible though.

overall- a college beer that was made for beer funnels and boat races(flip cup)! Don't drink otherwise!!

4.97/5  rDev +114.2%

If you are a pilsner fan trying pretend your tough enough to drink lager, it will overpower your TV ad light taste buds.This is no sissy's beer, this is for those that can actually appreciate the taste of extra hops propping up a light beer. Not our typically rice and seltzer thinned big name light. If you're a liker of lagers and occasionally like a slightly cidery stout this is as close to it you'll get in a US light beer. Somewhere between a Heineken or Grolsch and a Mickey's and yet still a light beer. If this is in the store I will choose it over any other beer. I am known to drive miles for it. I will drink this room temp warm on opening or ice cold, in between, why not leave it warm? Only nancy's can only drink Lager cold, this holds up to the real bear can you drink it completely warm test, I dare you fair Nancies. Now the acid in the extra hops pre can liner days makes me still recommend it in the bottle. Again not a sissy's beer it is stronger beer and your nose will smell a bit of Alcohol, it is a 5.9% brew, it is over hopped without any of the usual heavy side tastes that go along with extra hops. It will be the main finish,though light, you'll find out if you really like hops or not. This is the most drinkable not for sissies light beer on the market. Ive brewed before, if they stop selling it, I hope it is available as brewing stock shortly after, like a prohibition malt bag.Only problem with this beer is its smooth enough to forget it is 5.9% . I would greatly miss this real beer taste in a light beer. If you dont like it have a glass Chardonay you big sissy or a watery Big Ad light, and take a moment to put more mousse in your hair, straighten your collar,try to be cool to your fake suburban frat brothers, pretend other beers are cooler because you pay more with your knees to floor Roman haircut, and kiss your mother in laws butt.
www.MetalRecordingServices.com

2.96/5  rDev +27.6%

App: It is straw colored with effevescence and head that dies completely

Smell: It's not a bad or good smell: just grain

Taste: um It's beer. Just adjuncts. It doesn't taste like water though. That's good.

Mouthfeel: It's just soft and syrupy.

Drinkabilty: there's no thinking involved. It's just a bit boring. Also it's definitely not as AWFUL as I've heard. It's just not that good.

2.65/5  rDev +14.2%

a fuller and (slightly) more flavourful brew than your standard macro light beer. not much more to say about this one. nothing daring about it. it's certainly easy to drink and, given the subpar choices when i had this one (bud light and miller light were the only other options), i'd always choose a southpaw, but it's certainly never gonna knock any good beer out of my fridge.

2.06/5  rDev -11.2%

Another product produced under Miller's Plank Road Brewery label. Advertised as "double hopped." It was more hoppy, relatively speaking for an American light beer. I has a typical "Miller" character, and I made the connection even before I knew Plank Road was a Miller alter-ego. As light beers go, this is probably one of the better.

2.35/5  rDev +1.3%

Light gold in color, modest white head that vanishes quickly, little or no lace. Sweet aroma with faint malt notes. Tasting yields a burst of sweet flavors, then a burst of hops toward the finish. Southpaw is not really bad, but there is nothing memorable about it. Another beer that my non-beer drinking friends like.

1.72/5  rDev -25.9%

A- Thin pale yellow, frothy white head that fades fast into thin ring, no retention, no lace.

S- Not much here. Corn, water and rice. Grassy and metallic notes.

T- Watery, corn and mush. Musty hints of grass and rice, metallic notes.

M- Thin, watery, over-carbonated

D- Very watery and bland with nasty metallic notes.

2.58/5  rDev +11.2%

I do believe that this particular brew does deserve more respect than the present numbers indicate.(2.33)
Colour was a medium/light golden and crystal clear.
Head was very light on arrival and quickly turned to a mild island lace.
Aroma was nondescript.
Body is light.
Taste is well balanced....hmmm, how odd for a double hopped brew.
On reflection...maybe the previous numbers were accurate. But this brew did go down fairly well under the circumstances.
Tasted better in the Carolina's...

1.31/5  rDev -43.5%

How.. how.. how is this beer rated as high as it is? My God this stuff is terrible. It's cheap, and that's about all it has goin for it. Tastes so bitter, smells horrible, this beer will hurt your feelings. Had it on tap at my friends house because it was only $53 a keg, and for good reason. Total piss.

1.93/5  rDev -16.8%

A: A golden and burnt yellow appearance with nearly no head nor lacing. Nothing too exciting, at least its not clear.

S: I get a light corn/mealy/papery type smell. As far as beer smells go, this doesnt really have too much of anything to write home about... Unfortunately dull.

T: A very bland splash of corn is really the only thing I taste. The 12 pack box claims its double hopped, but I taste absolutely none. A very disappointing beer, however at least it wasnt bitter or cheap tasting.

M: Mouthfeel is light, dry, and quick. No residual or lingering feeling or taste. Nothing fancy, but pleasant.

D: Well, after trying my first one, I cant say id buy this beer again. Its very simple, lacks flavor, and really for the price I can get Pabst which I enjoy exponentially more. The decent ABV means a buzz can be obtained on the cheap. If youre kicking it with your friends mostly eating, with little attention to beverages... this might be an option. I wouldnt recommend really though.

CLIFSNOTES: A cheap light and 'thin' beer.

3.1/5  rDev +33.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear pale yellow with a quarter inch of head that rises and falls quickly. No lacing.

S - Cereal grain mostly. Hints of DMS as well. About what I expected.

T - Not too shabby for a light lager. Graininess dominates but there is a hint of grassiness late palate. Mild but noticable bitterness.

M - What I expected, perhaps a touch better. Light bodied of course but not nearly as watery as I would've guessed. High carbonation provides a crisp experience.

D - Not my first choice by any means, but Southpaw Light is actually fairly decent for the style. This tastes more like a macro than a light, which counts for something.

1.55/5  rDev -33.2%

This beer is horrible. I've tried it several times because several of my friends drink this stuff all the time, but I can't finish it. I've tried it sober, I've tried it drunk and I've tried it in between and I've never liked it.

2.91/5  rDev +25.4%

Doesn't look like a light beer; Appears dark golden and a has a bubbly white head with some lacing. Super corn smell. It doesn't taste bad. I mostly noticed corn and slight hoppiness. Sticky aftertaste. Moderate carbonation and slightly watery going down. It's a drinkable cheap beer.

1.5/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I had this in the beer oasis which is known as Mobile, AL. Very cheap, I thought it might make for a decent all night drinker. Very watery, I'm surprised this is even 120 calories or whatever and 5% abv b/c it takes like pure water. Slight corn sweetness, I can see how this is a Miller product but really, really water. Clean tasting, makes good for drinking games but that's about it. The Yuengling I had after finishing a sixer of this stuff was amazing and super flavorful which shows how little flavor this had.

2.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Pale straw color with a low white head but has decent carbonation. Cooked corn aroma and taste. Crisp dry flavor. Light bodied but not overly so. Compared to Red Dog and would rather buy Red Dog in the future (if ever the need arose).

Label states "Original Double-Hopped" .... pretty funny since there is no hop character at all.

123 Cal. & 5% ABV (per bottle label)

3.99/5  rDev +72%

I was in the woods getting fucked up for a week, eating mushrooms, drinking moonshine, and drinking budget beer. We had a store about 5 miles up the road, so after we would run out of all the good shit, we would go get some cheap brews. Which meant Icehouse and Southpaw Light. (thank god for the plank road brewery)
The taste is very similar to a Natty Ice....and i'm a big fan of Ice beers except bud ice. The smell isn't unlike an icehouse. it's a little stronger which you might not even realize b/c its a "light" beer. but this is a light beer for Men goddammit!
southpaw rules!

2.75/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I remember getting this beer for $8 a 12-pack and using it in the water-bath of my BBQ smoker when I made ribs. I'd use 7-9 beers in the water-bath, so what wasn't used there was consumed with the meal.

Fond memories might make this beer rate higher than it should but maybe not. I remember it being a light beer that didn't taste light, and was still better than most of the schiessebier BMC makes (even though it is ultimately a Miller product.)

I'd like to try a bottle now... just for comparo.

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

As evidenced by its 123 calories this beer is heavier than the typical light beer. Pours to a generous head but it disapates too quickly. Oder is of grain and corn husk.
A good thirst quencher on a hot day even if a bit thin. Inexpensive (at least in Ga.) and as light beers go better than the average.

2.68/5  rDev +15.5%

Found this beer in Morristown TN. Fares pretty well compared to other light beers on the market, however I doubt if it is all that light. The flavors end up quite sweet with a blend of pilsner malts and cereal grains. Although indicating the beer is 'double-hopped' the beer only has a mild increase in hop bitterness and brings a grassy flavor that also becomes a bit metallic. Sulfer flavors and vegitable flavors are there but don't really kill the beer. Aromas reveal the same character but cleaner with the sweetness. Textures a a bit weighted for light beers and do deter a bit. Finishes pretty clean with a sweet, vegitable note. Pretty average throughout with a mild distraction here and there.

2.35/5  rDev +1.3%

A decent golden color, this beer has the typical sweet corn smell of American macro light brews. Taste-wise, this beer isn't awful. It taste much like it smells: Sweet and corny. A moderate carbonation gives it a clean soda like crispness that makes it somewhat refreshing. Considering the cost and quality comparison to other major American light beers, Southpaw is to me the way to go if you must.

to view more.
Southpaw Light from Miller Brewing Co.