2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Milwaukee's Best Premium - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best PremiumMilwaukee's Best Premium

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Premium Alström Bros
Ratings: 539 | Reviews: 219 | Show All Ratings:
mdfb79

2.34/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

From 03/24/14 notes. Can leftover from a month or two ago someone bringing it over. April 7, 2015 best by date on the bottle of the can. 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - Pours a somewhat clear golden-yellow color with inch of off white head and high carbonation evident. Looks like a typical AAL, not great.

s - Smells of corn, very skunked, bread, grains, dough, and earthy malts. Not good at all with lots of sweet corn and some skunkiness. Pretty terrible.

t - Taste is not skunked and much better than the nose, though not good. Sweet corn, bread, grains, yeast, dough, biscuit, and earthy notes. Not good, but not the worst.

m - Light body, a bit watery, and high carbonation. Too carbonated.

o - Overall not a good beer at all, though honestly not the worst of the AAL's. Nos eis terrible but the taste isn't oto bad, and same look and body as the rest. In the bottom half of the normal shelf AAL's but not the worst.

03-25-2014 13:50:11 | More by mdfb79
DRosen

2.13/5  rDev +16.4%

The can is the best part of this beer.

Once I year I do hell week. It consists of a few cheap beers like Milwaukee's best premium, Old English 800 and 1 bottle of Guinness (sorry, I do not like Guinness).

Being an IPA fan, but still being able to drink water like coors light and miller light, these are a step down.

Last year I did miller high life, this is around the same if not better. It has a horrible taste, a horrible finish. BUT I can still drink it without making a face at each sip. I only bought a 12 pack, so it should be gone within 10 days and I can go get something else. drinkable = yes, buy choice = yes, enjoyable = not that much. buy again = no*

*unless homeless and have only 6 dollars to my name,

Please note this is still better then the Walgreens beer.

03-19-2014 02:20:49 | More by DRosen
kojevergas

1.66/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

32 fl oz aluminum can with well-designed label art acquired at the local 7-11 here in Richfield, Utah (I was desperate and there's nothing in this town). Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely low given the brewery. Best before September 16th, 2013. I don't see an ABV listed on the can.

Served cold. Side-poured gently as biting overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger wide white colour head. No real creaminess. Thin, weak, pathetic. No lacing. Body colour is a bland water colour with a touch of diluted straw yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Straw, heavy corn adjunct, pilsner malts, and dirty stale barley. Some grains and cereals. By no means a clean or pleasant aroma. No hop character, yeast character, or alcohol is detectable. A crappy aroma of (fortunately) light strength.

T: Stale barley, straw, corn adjunct, and pilsner malts. Adjunct dominates. Heavy husks. Some middling cereals and grains. No hop character, yeast character, or alcohol comes through. Bland and boring as hell. No depth of flavour. Low intensity of flavour. Flavour duration is below average to average. Horribly imbalanced. No complexity or subtlety at all. Poor execution.

Mf: Crisp, smooth, and wet. Not oily, harsh, gushed, or boozy. Biting overcarbonation is the beer's biggest issue. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well at all. A bit thin. Lightly watery.

Dr: The dirty taste and dire overcarbonation really ruin this one. I'll kill all 32 oz with effort, but no way would I buy this again. Another garbage beer from Miller. If this is the Premium, how bad are the other Milwaukee's Best variants? I definitely wouldn't have bought this if I wasn't trapped in a crappy town in Utah. Avoid. Worse than the Busch I reviewed before it.

High F

08-13-2013 04:17:40 | More by kojevergas
Alextricity

2.76/5  rDev +50.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Jul0113 on the bottom of the 24oz can. Bought for like... I don't remember. $1.50?

Appearance: --Skipping. I tend to just drink these adjunct lagers out of the can.--

Smell: Corn sweetness. Malt. It just smells like an ordinary 5% adjunct lager... well, I shouldn't say that. Some have a metallic note or something like that... this is without that, fortunately.

Taste/feel: I think I should be bitch slapped. I don't hate this beer. I really don't. At all. As a matter of fact, I *gulp*... enjoy it? A pleasant carbonation, goes down smooth, sweet (but not overly so), and there's no funky metallic "off" bitterness on the finish.

And that's my honest review. Every now and then I want a cheap drink without having to make a drive to the craft store for warm and more expensive beer. This was one of those times. I'm surprised that this only has a 48 rating ... that's considerably lower than a number of other adjunct lagers I've had that I thought were far less drinkable.

Considering the price and fact that there's nothing that makes me cringe about this beer, I'd certainly have it again.

06-21-2013 20:52:54 | More by Alextricity
mjurney

3.24/5  rDev +77%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
Pale gold, clear. Fairly good amount of carbonation rising up. Small frothy head that dissipate. Leaves a fine lacing behind.

Aroma:
Faint. I smell some sweetness, grainy and corn.

Taste:
Sweetness up front, grainy, slight toasted malts, corn. Faint bitterness towards the end. Clean dry finish. Body is light, sharp carbonation, crisp.

Overall:
Middle of the road beer.

02-24-2013 04:03:26 | More by mjurney
SometimesIfart

1.58/5  rDev -13.7%

A - Didn't bother pouring it so I don't know.

S - Aluminum, Cheap stale malt, Slight adjunct

T - Follows the nose almost completely. Aluminum, cheap stale malt, slight adjunct, And a slight sour note in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O - Overall, Just another cheap swill. Oh well, At 88 cents for a 24oz. can I knew that I was getting. Realistically, At that price it makes me wonder how much the company spends to make a 24oz can of this stuff. I mean, If they didn't make a large enough profit from the beer you'd figure that they would stop making. I'm assuming the production cost per can is somewhere around 10 cents. Think about that before you buy this.

12-22-2012 20:53:38 | More by SometimesIfart
SCBeerDrinker

4.85/5  rDev +165%

To me its one of the best beers for its price.The Light is ok, and the ice beer has great taste but i get headaches after a few. It has great taste and is better served ice cold. Wish you could find it on tap more. But you can buy it at most super markets and gas stations around SC.

12-10-2012 18:03:46 | More by SCBeerDrinker
buschbeer

2.18/5  rDev +19.1%

12oz can
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It is a dismal pale yellow. I got the typical white, rocky, short-lived head.

S - I thought the first one had a skunky smell when poured. The second has more of the grain smell that I have become accustomed.

T - I taste some mild grain.

M - Thin

O - I am not as repulsed as I used to be. I'm more bored now.

12-01-2012 01:08:29 | More by buschbeer
bambam2517

Arizona

1.68/5  rDev -8.2%

12 ozers in a suitcase, poured into a Styrofoam cup in my motel one by one. Took about 9 of these before i could swig down a swallow without making a clicking sound with my cheeks. Once i got past that though, it was all i thought it could be. Got me cross-eyed, piss in my roomies sock drawer drunk. Left me with a skull splitting hangover the next morning. Everything I remember from it in college is still true.

10-11-2012 03:57:57 | More by bambam2517
JamesMN

2.4/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Completely translucent pale gold color with a small white frothy head.

Aroma: Not good. Stale grains and approaching offensive territory. Not quite skunky per say, but definitely in that ball park. Also a sweet corn smell in the background.

Taste: There is a general sweetness to the palate that helps mask the skunky off-flavor that you get with cheap beers like this one. Yet another American Adjunct Lager that would be impossible to pick out in a line-up of other beers of this style.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly medium bodied but with lots of effervescence. Pretty crisp and refreshing in it's own right.

Final Thoughts: I have a hard time really slamming this beer too hard because it's basically just another average macro-lager. While not particularly enjoyable, this is just the usual Joe-Sixpack beer. I have no idea why anyone would choose to drink this more than once, but to each his own.

09-17-2012 02:30:35 | More by JamesMN
jimmah120

2.63/5  rDev +43.7%

12oz can best by oct '12 into pilsner glass

Look is an extremely clear pale yellow typical of the style, with a sticky white head. Smell is sweet corn, grain, cereal. Taste is cooked grain, rice, corn, slightly metallic. Feel is well carbonated, slightly watery, but with a slight malty thickness(for an adjunct lager, that is).

'The beast', as it's called, is very drinkable and very plain. No offensive sweetness or astringency to speak of. That being said, I consider this a dirty beer, as in you'll wake up feeling crappy the next day. Not bad for the price, I guess.

08-26-2012 09:32:48 | More by jimmah120
iSip

Colorado

2.63/5  rDev +43.7%

Milwaukee’s Best Beer: Well, sometimes you need a break from oil-thick imperial stouts and blast your tongue away signature IPA’s, as great as they may be. Milwaukee’s Best is just that, beer as a beverage. The golden color, light carbonation and thin head let you know this is just beer. While not as pretty as a Salvation IPA from Avery, it looks more refreshing than a Coke or Mountain Dew. There is some aroma, which is a plus. Flavor combines light malt with a bit of hop bitterness at the finish. Overall, its beer as a beverage and no more. But as summer approaches, and it is time to shed the pounds that all of those stouts and IPA’s added over the winter, a spell of just drinking plain Jane beer is just what the doctor ordered.

06-21-2012 18:38:21 | More by iSip
ElCommodoro

3.53/5  rDev +92.9%

I didn't bother pouring this one out of the can in order to observe appearance. That was not how this beer was intended to be consumed. I DID decide to compare it side by side to my current favourite economy beer, Old Milwaukee. I've got to say, it's a pretty good super-economy beer. Nothing offensive about it whatsoever. Fairly dry and crisp with just a hint of corn (I like it when brewers don't try to hide corn flavour with something more offensive or when they just remove all flavour). It does not stack up to Old Milwaukee, though. Old Milwaukee has more taste and I think might even be cheaper. So, this may not be the best option and I may not buy it again, but it's definitely a better option than Busch, Lone Star, Keystone, etc. It's about on par with the average batch of the ultra-cheap Big Flats, but as my review of that beer indicates, the flavour of that beer is not consistent.

06-21-2012 04:50:30 | More by ElCommodoro
Brenden

For the sake of experimentation, I'm holding a little tasting of beers I happened to have but would never purchase myself.

This one is what's typically referred to as "straw yellow," pale and clear. It bubbles like crazy and never stops. The pure white head actually sits around a finger tall for a bit before dropping off, leaving a soapy foam and a smattering of spotty lacing. I've seen considerably worse.
The nose is an extremely faint corn husk and grains. There's practically nothing here, and what is certainly isn't very good.
It tastes like blandness. There's absolutely no point to this beer. Corn and grains come out faintly in the finish. Poorly made. At least there's nothing overtly offensive.
Light. Extremely light. Crisp. A little slick. Smoothish. The feel could certainly be worse.
It's pretty much what I expected.

06-06-2012 22:17:42 | More by Brenden
acevenom

Louisiana

2.65/5  rDev +44.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours the color of straw with a tall white head. Tiny bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom of the glass. The smell is mild. There are aromas of malt, corn, and some hops. The flavor is also mild. The malt, corn, and hop flavors are mild, but balanced. It is watery, but also grainy/gritty. The body is light. There is moderate carbonation. The finish is dry. The drinkability is fair. Overall, the Beast is the very definition of getting what you pay for. If you're on a budget, skip this and go with Old Milwaukee.

05-30-2012 23:48:35 | More by acevenom
davey101

Connecticut

2.6/5  rDev +42.1%

24 oz can into a frosty mug.

A - Very light straw yellow body. Surprisingly a large and thick super soapy head formed.

S - Corn, grain. Sweet and simple. Nothing too offensive about it. If anything its inviting for an AAL.

T - Watery sweet corn water with some grainy and mineral qualities on the finish. Boring yet easy drinking. Watery mouth feel with high carbonation.

O - I can't beat up on this beer too much. For $1.20 you get an easy drinking beer thats low on flavor. Its not offensive, and its not too corny or overtly sweet. Much better than I thought it would be.

04-10-2012 21:24:59 | More by davey101
BMMillsy

1.34/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Another college tick. Pours light golden with fluffy white head. Aroma of stale corn and straw, with some additional unpleasant funk. Flavor follows with light corn and a rather dirty finish to boot. Light body and high carbonation, but that's about all this has going for it. Avoid.

02-15-2012 22:52:21 | More by BMMillsy
djbow

Maryland

1.63/5  rDev -10.9%

A - Clear, pale gold. Two finger foamy white head, active carbonation bubbles abound

S - Cooked grain, corn, VERY faint hops. You really have to search for the aforementioned smells.

T - Sweet cooked grain / corn, metallic, sweet low end malt and a scant hop finish.

M - Watery, almost no body. Typical American Adjunct Lager over carbonation.

O - Yes, this is a cheap beer. Like most things you get what you pay for. I actually like the "Beast" more than the MGD I punished myself with the other day. This was the main beer we drank in college and it soothed many a pain post rugby games. Maybe I am just conditioned to its lack luster taste.

02-05-2012 01:25:48 | More by djbow
thekevlarkid

Maryland

2.65/5  rDev +44.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Out of a 40 bottle (hey, this is Baltimore!) this beer was a clear golden color with one finger of super fluffy white head. The retention was good especially as a collar and it left consistent spots of lacing. The aroma was of corn, rice and faint malt. The flavors were mostly of corn and sweet malt as well as a little floral hops at the end. Simple but non-offensive and actually much better than most beers available in 40s. The mouthfeel was average albeit watery (standard for the style), the body medium/light and the carbonation medium.

01-28-2012 16:18:49 | More by thekevlarkid
flagmantho

Washington

Poured from 24oz can into a Pilsner glass.

Appearance: yellow hue which is neither a rich gold nor a pale straw; kind of artificial. Other than that, the beer's got good clarity, a good effervescence and a two-finger cap of off-white foam. Not too bad, for the style.

Smell: kind of a grainy aroma with an off-putting plasticy thing going on. Pretty mild, so it's not horribly offensive or anything.

Taste: light and mostly inoffensive. Somewhat grainy and watery; it's less offensive than the aroma. Still, not great overall, as there is pretty much nothing here.

Mouthfeel: almost nonexistent. Watery and quite unfulfilling. The carbonation is appropriate, though. Fizzy and somewhat refreshing.

Overall: this is not a very good beer, but I readily admit I have had much worse. Beast indeed, but not a complete abomination.

01-23-2012 01:09:14 | More by flagmantho
GossageBrewery

Missouri

1.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Am I really drinking this? Poured this American Lager from a 12 oz can into a pint glass. Pours a clear golden straw color, produces a below average white head. Retention was poor. The aroma smelled of faint traces of grain, faint traces of lacing left behind on the glass. Light in body, flavor of grain and corn. Semi sweet very thin brew. Overall, very cheap, piss poor beer- even for an American Adjunct Lager.

01-12-2012 02:16:43 | More by GossageBrewery
hmk22

2.03/5  rDev +10.9%

I think this has recently been restaged as "Premium" and I'm not sure if the recipe was changed, but it's pretty bad -- it tastes like rotgut, bottom-of-the-barrell stuff. I think SABM has relegated the whole Miller family to the budget category and this is the lowest rung -- headache material for sure. Try to avoid.

01-08-2012 01:51:57 | More by hmk22
Onenote81

2.68/5  rDev +46.4%

A 6-pack of these for $2.99? Sure, why not. Had back in June of this year.

Poured one into a glass for reviewing purposes. Pours a straw gold, with an inch of foamy white on top. The nose is cheap and weak with a metallic twang to it. Slick body that goes down easily. Mild husky flavors that are spot on for this inexpensive brew. Simple. Thirst-quenching. Cheap. Most likely won't have again, but it's not the worst thing I've ever had.

10-27-2011 13:43:12 | More by Onenote81
mrfrancis

Kentucky

1.73/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Poured from a 40 oz. bottle into a pint glass, this beer displayed the expected clear, watery yellow hue beneath a frothy white head that stuck around a little longer than expected. Not impressive in the least.

S: There really isn't much in the way of an aroma here, but that could just be due to the seasonal allergies with which I've been dealing. I was barely able to detect hints of grain husks and an oddly metallic scent. That's pretty much it.

T: Opens slick and smooth with fleeting notes of grain husks, cooked vegetables, corn syrup, mineral water, grassy hops, and a sharp metallic tang. The finish is virtually nonexistent with that metallic taste partially obscured by unpleasant cooked vegetable notes.

M: light-bodied, slick, and a bit syrupy.

O: This stuff is even worse than I remember it being. "The Beast" deserves to be feared.

10-15-2011 17:31:10 | More by mrfrancis
spitInTheOcean

2.4/5  rDev +31.1%

pale straw color. white frothy head. head eventually dissipates into thin practically non existent splotches of bubbles.

smells like corn. and a little like alcohol. no hop aroma. a little funk aroma, may be attributed to yeast.

taste up upfront is pretty neutral, then a little sweet, and tasting a lot like corn. no malt flavor. no hop flavor. finishes sweet. flavor dissipates quickly after finish.

very crisp. light body.

overall this beer is bad.

09-24-2011 05:17:19 | More by spitInTheOcean
Milwaukee's Best Premium from Miller Brewing Co.