Milwaukee's Best Premium - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best PremiumMilwaukee's Best Premium

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Premium Alström Bros
Mike71085

4.93/5  rDev +170.9%

Most people feel this is not a premiun beer and perhaps it is not. I think they should charge at least $10.00 a six pack for this liquid gold. It is one of the most underestimated american lagers on the market. Let me begin by saying the nostalgia alone sets this beer apart.

Smell- At first the hint of tyne enters the olofactory glands. This is quickly followed by a warm sense of rhubarb and chickory. After the primary smells have subsided one can notive a hint of white corn torillas lingering in the air.

Taste- The taste of barley plunges my tastebuds into a sensory overload. The quenching effect of hops is blended by an ever present abundance of yeast. As the beer goes down, one no doubts notices the carbonation brining with it a classic familiarity of tap water and sub standard ingredients. But alas, after the swallow, the aftertaste leaves you feeling like this should be marketed as a mouthwash. Not a hint of cocoa lingering on the palate.

Don't be discouraged with the mainstream attitudes towards this beer. Just because a beer in inexpensive doesn't mean it cannot be a good beer. Hence, my love of this American Classic.

09-07-2008 14:36:46 | More by Mike71085
SCBeerDrinker

4.85/5  rDev +166.5%

To me its one of the best beers for its price.The Light is ok, and the ice beer has great taste but i get headaches after a few. It has great taste and is better served ice cold. Wish you could find it on tap more. But you can buy it at most super markets and gas stations around SC.

12-10-2012 18:03:46 | More by SCBeerDrinker
bbluemzbeer

4.75/5  rDev +161%

lwaukee Best pours to a clear yellow. the smell is nothing new to me just your typical of cook vegetables and grains . It does not bother me! Taste like a typical american lager grains and malts. The hops are their to balance the beer out . It has very tiny taste of cardboard if warm but other the that milkwaulees best can hold its own against high price Budwesier , MGD. Your typical american lager with out the price tags. It is the lowest price beer in most market in the country You can take the label off Milwaukee Best Premium beer an put a Coors or MGD label on this beer and 99 percent of the people would not know they would be drinking a cheap beer. This beer is excellent for what it is american adjunct lager. I rate Milwukee Best Preuim with other maerican adjunct lagers an apples with apples rating . Meaning I rate Milwaukee best Preuim with other american lager . IThis beer beats out 95 percent of american lagers out their on the market specially Mexical lagers with their high price . Milkwaulee Best Premium is the best value on market for taste , price and quality.

08-18-2014 15:24:44 | More by bbluemzbeer

09-13-2013 23:02:35 | More by mdt88
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.9/5  rDev +114.3%

Milwaukee's Best has a thick, standard-style white head and a very clear yellow appearance. Aroma is of corn, and there's a metallic hint, but overall, the smell is very faint. Carbonation is high. The taste is good and typical of what one would expect for this style of beer, but Milwaukee's Best seems to have a somewhat more complex taste than that of its near competitors. It has a good bite to it, but the alcohol level is lower that one might prefer. Overall, this is a very good, enjoyable beer that should go well with hardy foods like fried seafood or steak with potatoes. I rate this one high, considering its category and style.

RJT

02-17-2010 19:54:30 | More by RonaldTheriot
jasonjlewis

3.85/5  rDev +111.5%

Beast is not as bad as people think it is. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it has to be bad. I enjoy the taste of Milwaukee's best, but hate that my friends are always giving me crap about drinking it. It tastes similar to MGD just not as smooth. It's really not a bad beer. It has a good color for a lager. I laugh when i see people say this color is pale like it's a bad thing. Lagers are supposed to have a pale color, look for richness :). I would pay more than I do for a beer of this quality. Not that it's the best beer, but for what it's trying to be, it is excellent.

04-11-2006 06:01:05 | More by jasonjlewis
drt72

3.75/5  rDev +106%

06-04-2014 04:43:41 | More by drt72
7beerphil

Maryland

3.7/5  rDev +103.3%

drank straight from the 32 oz bottle. no real smell. goes down extremely easy (was in the freezer for about 45 mins so it is pretty cold). all in all, not a bad brew for something this cheap. would definitely do this one again, but i would probably stick with the bottle.

11-27-2010 23:08:54 | More by 7beerphil
nekronos

Mexico

3.63/5  rDev +99.5%

Really strange, not as annoying as other beers from this brewery, but at least was dinkable. Almost green the liquid, like in those macro lagers around, but even more remarkable. Little foam, and no additives that hard. Extrange can for being one of MIlwaukee familly, you know what I mean.

10-24-2005 14:34:05 | More by nekronos
Saunapoika

3.55/5  rDev +95.1%

I don't know what all the negativism is all about. This beer fits like a glove for a weekend of drinking at the hunting shack. It is very economical and provides refreshment for all. There is always an anti-Milwaukee's Best fan in the crowd but in the end, they will end up drinking it as well.

Below average appearance and slight overcarbonation is the only real drawback to the "Beast". There's a filling taste and midly hoppy aroma to back it up.

Don't be fooled, this beer has also won awards. Drink up.

10-24-2006 01:24:16 | More by Saunapoika
PapillonJohn

3.55/5  rDev +95.1%

Consumed by the can on 5/9/2011

I decided to pick of a 12 pack of this at my local 6 shop because I heard it was cheap and not too bad. Well cheap? No...I paid 8.50 for a 12 pack, not the 3 or 4 dollars people were saying on the internet. Perhaps it's because I live in Pennsylvania...Idk.

Appearance: Didn't even bother to pour from the can. So I decided just to pour a tad bit out to get color. Your standard yellow beer color. Didn't really get much of a head from it.

Smell: Pretty average. Very little malt, a lot of fresh creamed corn, and an blast of hops. Not too shabby at all.

Taste: First sip was pretty bland. After consuming it for awhile I really started to like it a lot. Nice ghosting of malts, mostly creamed corn, and what the hell is this? Hops!? Yes sirs and mams. The hops actually show up pretty well. Now this isnt that awesome, expensive, top class hops taste, no no. They are used up, but still make this a pretty decent taste for a brew as such.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, not too much, maybe not enough? After drinking it awhile I got use to it though. Very easy to drink.

Overall this beer really isn't too bad. I really liked that I could actually taste hops in it. I would recommend this for people on a budget and to people who are sick of Budweiser and Coors. I will get this again, keep it part of my "cheap can beer" rotation.

05-12-2011 18:07:00 | More by PapillonJohn
ElCommodoro

3.53/5  rDev +94%

I didn't bother pouring this one out of the can in order to observe appearance. That was not how this beer was intended to be consumed. I DID decide to compare it side by side to my current favourite economy beer, Old Milwaukee. I've got to say, it's a pretty good super-economy beer. Nothing offensive about it whatsoever. Fairly dry and crisp with just a hint of corn (I like it when brewers don't try to hide corn flavour with something more offensive or when they just remove all flavour). It does not stack up to Old Milwaukee, though. Old Milwaukee has more taste and I think might even be cheaper. So, this may not be the best option and I may not buy it again, but it's definitely a better option than Busch, Lone Star, Keystone, etc. It's about on par with the average batch of the ultra-cheap Big Flats, but as my review of that beer indicates, the flavour of that beer is not consistent.

06-21-2012 04:50:30 | More by ElCommodoro

10-21-2013 04:16:55 | More by troobie
CaskofFlyingDog

Tennessee

3.48/5  rDev +91.2%

App: It has a pretty decnet head which goes to piss bubbles after some time but pretty decent ones at that. The color is a pale straw.

Smell: There's a mild,sweet smell with a hint of bitter.

Taste: Grain: it's a little more sweet than most cheap beers which is probably part of the fact that's it's owned by Miller.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty thin. It leaves a residue on the tongue.

Drinkability: It's a no brainer. It's just a good beer for relaxing and not thinking about it but rather hanging out with your friends.

09-27-2006 04:52:46 | More by CaskofFlyingDog
joe12pk

3.41/5  rDev +87.4%

24 oz. can poured into a lager glass.

A - Clear gold with an inch and a half head that stays briefly. Decent amount of lacing.

S - Corn, grains, some malt.

T - Refreshing sweet corn, grains, and malt. Finishes with a light touch of hops.

M - Light

O - This doesn't taste like the same brew I had 15 - 20 years ago! Very good beer & peerless in it's price range- $1 for 24 oz. can. Kudos to Miller!

05-18-2014 00:39:07 | More by joe12pk
matty

3.38/5  rDev +85.7%

Pale yellow colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma and taste are your normal macro lagers.Refreshing and smooth, perfect for summer outdoor outings.This is exactly what you you expect from a macro, no more no less.I will always have room in my fridge for "beast"!!

01-24-2009 06:24:33 | More by matty
boogieman

3.34/5  rDev +83.5%

12oz can poured into my beer glass slightly below room temperature.
Decent appearance. Nothing special. Pretty much what you'd expect from a cheap beer. Bright transparent yellow with a high but quick to disappear white head.
Smell- not too much there. Malty wheaty metallic corn.
Taste- for a cheap beer, not half bad. Malt, subdued honey sweetness, wheat, and corn. Pretty decent actually.
Mouthfeel- too much carbonation for my taste, but nothing out of the ordinary for cheap beers. There's less carbonation than the Milwaukee's Best Ice- my typical go to for an everyday brew, which was nice. Fairly smooth.
For a cheap beer, I think this one might be the way to go. It's the smoothest of all the beers that it's similar to, and has a slightly more refined taste. It also drinks very light. You can chug a bunch without starting to feel bloated. The only thing I would change is that it's less than 5% alcohol. A little more would be nice.

08-06-2014 01:31:46 | More by boogieman
omar

3.33/5  rDev +83%

Hey if your broke and can't afford the good stuff this is the beer to drink.

I survived many weekends in my college days when I had limited funds drinking this stuff.

It's not for beer connoisseurs but better than most of the lower tier macro Lagers.

Hits the spot on a hot Texas day.

07-12-2008 20:45:23 | More by omar
marc956

3.33/5  rDev +83%

Like every college student (and yes I am over 21) I need a cheap beer. Other budget beers including Keystone, Coors, Icehouse, Busch, and Miller High Life strike me as watered down and/or overpriced for what it is.

Had a chance to get a quart of Best for a buck and wasn't disappointed. I wouldn't serve it to a guest but if drinking by myself and need a session beer, why spend more than I gotta

Breaking it down ..
appearance - Not much for hops but if you have it cold enough there's little foam.

smell - Some ppl say this stuff has a bad odor to it. Well as I was saying I usually drink this when alone so it doesn't matter.

taste - Neutral at best.

mouthfeel - Doesn't really matter if you drink it fast enough.

drinkability - I don't have the tolerance that I used to but can drink 2 quarts of this stuff (over 5 regular bottles or cans) in an hour. At my weight that's descent.

Bottom line, you may or may not like this. But keeping in mind what I paid, I don't think it can beat.

04-04-2010 09:29:01 | More by marc956
garymuchow

3.3/5  rDev +81.3%

Container claims "carefully brewed from the finest quality malted barley selected grains and choicest hops". Okay, but how does it taste?
Sour malt aroma typical of style. A bit stronger than many. Slight sweet water and a mild hop presence in time. Typical overall.
Big full white very fizzy head that leaves in no time showing a smattering thin layer of bubbles. Water clear. Gold yellow.
Approaching flavorless. Amazing it's not a light beer. A little sweetness up front that's good enough. Very mild and well blended bitterness. Moderate dryness in the finish. Sourness is muted. Adjunct appears in time and strengthens as warms, but so far doesn't present a strong corn flavor.
Fully carbonated, but not necessarily overly filling (yet a little so). Some smoothness, considering the bubbles. Moderately thirst quenching. Not water thin.
This is better than I anticipated. There are far worse beers out there than this. Well worth the $0.25 I paid for it . One is enough, but I don't feel dirty for drinking it.

06-21-2007 22:47:12 | More by garymuchow
BierFan

3.28/5  rDev +80.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pale clear yellow body. Thin white head. Good carbonation stops the head from disappearing for quite a while. Tiny spots of lacing.

Smell: Pale semi-sweet cereal grains. Nothing noteworthy about it.

Taste: Decent taste for a adjunct lager. I'd rather drink this than Budweiser. There's actually some noticeable hops.

10-28-2010 17:49:18 | More by BierFan
Milwaukee's Best Premium from Miller Brewing Co.