Milwaukee's Best Premium - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best PremiumMilwaukee's Best Premium

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Premium Alström Bros
Ratings: 684 | Reviews: 248
2.94/5  rDev +60.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a shaker pint. An aggressive pour produces about an inch of bubbly, foamy, white head that dissipates rapidly but does leave some frothy lace. The beer is a pale golden with medium carbonation.

DMS (cooked corn) and a touch of fruitiness reminiscent of tomato are apparent in the aroma. The taste is clean with little or no hop aroma-flavor, semi-dry finish, a little bit of lingering sweetness and faint bitterness lingers on the palate.

This isn't terrible for what it is, good hot weather beverage, and in my opinion is as good as any other AAL. It holds it own with such brands as a Hamm's, PBR, High Life, Busch, etc. Purchased as part of a 12 pack for $8.49 (that's 71 cents a can folks). Cheapest beer on the rack.

2.89/5  rDev +57.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

32oz can. $1.99 at the local beer convenience store.

Appearance
Large foamy white head that dissipates quickly. Light lacing. Very light golden body. Crystal clear. Light carbonation.

Smell
Starts out harsh and astringent. After the beer settles for a minute or two the smell improves. Corn and malted barley.

Taste
A slightly watered down, more light bodied version of Miller High Life. Corn and malted barley. The barley flavor is quite nice, but you have to get through the corn to taste it. There is a sweetness to this beer. Hops are light. They are detectable as a balancing bitterness on the back end. The hops balance the sweetness and corn/barley nicely. There is a slight astringency/harshness to this beer that is best masked by COLD TEMPERATURE. However overall this is a fairly well balanced, smooth, drinkable beer. Actually TASTES GOOD.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied. Carbonation is strong on the tongue.

Overall
This is a somewhat harsh, but tasty economy macro lager. Miller goes too heavy with the corn every time. That being said, I still like this beer and would drink it again. Tasty. Has potential. Good value. Not the highest quality.

1.5/5  rDev -18%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Appearance (1.75) : Golden yellow with a light head and medium-light carbonation. Not a very exciting and inviting appearance.

Smell (1.00) : Almost smells stale to me and a has an almost skunky aroma. I'm not very pleased with the smell but I am ready to be proven wrong.

Taste (1.25) : I have trouble picking out any dominant characteristics or flavors - not complex at all.

Mouthfeel (2.50) : The feel is not bad, but not outstanding. A very crisp feel with a good finish. Again, nothing sticks out to me.

Overall (2.00) : I didn't absolutely hate this beer but I certainly didn't love it. It's major redeeming quality is the mouthfeel. Without this beer being as crisp and smooth as it is, I would not have enjoyed it at all.

I'll be sure to try this one again in a week or so. I'd like to give it that second chance.

3.52/5  rDev +92.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

24 oz. can poured into a lager glass.

A - Clear gold with an inch and a half head that stays briefly. Decent amount of lacing.

S - Corn, grains, some malt.

T - Refreshing sweet corn, grains, and malt. Finishes with a light touch of hops.

M - Light

O - This doesn't taste like the same brew I had 15 - 20 years ago! Very good beer & peerless in it's price range- $1 for 24 oz. can. Kudos to Miller!

2.32/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

From 03/24/14 notes. Can leftover from a month or two ago someone bringing it over. April 7, 2015 best by date on the bottle of the can. 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - Pours a somewhat clear golden-yellow color with inch of off white head and high carbonation evident. Looks like a typical AAL, not great.

s - Smells of corn, very skunked, bread, grains, dough, and earthy malts. Not good at all with lots of sweet corn and some skunkiness. Pretty terrible.

t - Taste is not skunked and much better than the nose, though not good. Sweet corn, bread, grains, yeast, dough, biscuit, and earthy notes. Not good, but not the worst.

m - Light body, a bit watery, and high carbonation. Too carbonated.

o - Overall not a good beer at all, though honestly not the worst of the AAL's. Nos eis terrible but the taste isn't oto bad, and same look and body as the rest. In the bottom half of the normal shelf AAL's but not the worst.

2.16/5  rDev +18%

The can is the best part of this beer.

Once I year I do hell week. It consists of a few cheap beers like Milwaukee's best premium, Old English 800 and 1 bottle of Guinness (sorry, I do not like Guinness).

Being an IPA fan, but still being able to drink water like coors light and miller light, these are a step down.

Last year I did miller high life, this is around the same if not better. It has a horrible taste, a horrible finish. BUT I can still drink it without making a face at each sip. I only bought a 12 pack, so it should be gone within 10 days and I can go get something else. drinkable = yes, buy choice = yes, enjoyable = not that much. buy again = no*

*unless homeless and have only 6 dollars to my name,

Please note this is still better then the Walgreens beer.

1.2/5  rDev -34.4%

Not sure how they justify using the word best

1.65/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

32 fl oz aluminum can with well-designed label art acquired at the local 7-11 here in Richfield, Utah (I was desperate and there's nothing in this town). Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely low given the brewery. Best before September 16th, 2013. I don't see an ABV listed on the can.

Served cold. Side-poured gently as biting overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger wide white colour head. No real creaminess. Thin, weak, pathetic. No lacing. Body colour is a bland water colour with a touch of diluted straw yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Straw, heavy corn adjunct, pilsner malts, and dirty stale barley. Some grains and cereals. By no means a clean or pleasant aroma. No hop character, yeast character, or alcohol is detectable. A crappy aroma of (fortunately) light strength.

T: Stale barley, straw, corn adjunct, and pilsner malts. Adjunct dominates. Heavy husks. Some middling cereals and grains. No hop character, yeast character, or alcohol comes through. Bland and boring as hell. No depth of flavour. Low intensity of flavour. Flavour duration is below average to average. Horribly imbalanced. No complexity or subtlety at all. Poor execution.

Mf: Crisp, smooth, and wet. Not oily, harsh, gushed, or boozy. Biting overcarbonation is the beer's biggest issue. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well at all. A bit thin. Lightly watery.

Dr: The dirty taste and dire overcarbonation really ruin this one. I'll kill all 32 oz with effort, but no way would I buy this again. Another garbage beer from Miller. If this is the Premium, how bad are the other Milwaukee's Best variants? I definitely wouldn't have bought this if I wasn't trapped in a crappy town in Utah. Avoid. Worse than the Busch I reviewed before it.

High F

2.76/5  rDev +50.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Jul0113 on the bottom of the 24oz can. Bought for like... I don't remember. $1.50?

Appearance: --Skipping. I tend to just drink these adjunct lagers out of the can.--

Smell: Corn sweetness. Malt. It just smells like an ordinary 5% adjunct lager... well, I shouldn't say that. Some have a metallic note or something like that... this is without that, fortunately.

Taste/feel: I think I should be bitch slapped. I don't hate this beer. I really don't. At all. As a matter of fact, I *gulp*... enjoy it? A pleasant carbonation, goes down smooth, sweet (but not overly so), and there's no funky metallic "off" bitterness on the finish.

And that's my honest review. Every now and then I want a cheap drink without having to make a drive to the craft store for warm and more expensive beer. This was one of those times. I'm surprised that this only has a 48 rating ... that's considerably lower than a number of other adjunct lagers I've had that I thought were far less drinkable.

Considering the price and fact that there's nothing that makes me cringe about this beer, I'd certainly have it again.

3.23/5  rDev +76.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
Pale gold, clear. Fairly good amount of carbonation rising up. Small frothy head that dissipate. Leaves a fine lacing behind.

Aroma:
Faint. I smell some sweetness, grainy and corn.

Taste:
Sweetness up front, grainy, slight toasted malts, corn. Faint bitterness towards the end. Clean dry finish. Body is light, sharp carbonation, crisp.

Overall:
Middle of the road beer.

1.58/5  rDev -13.7%

A - Didn't bother pouring it so I don't know.

S - Aluminum, Cheap stale malt, Slight adjunct

T - Follows the nose almost completely. Aluminum, cheap stale malt, slight adjunct, And a slight sour note in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O - Overall, Just another cheap swill. Oh well, At 88 cents for a 24oz. can I knew that I was getting. Realistically, At that price it makes me wonder how much the company spends to make a 24oz can of this stuff. I mean, If they didn't make a large enough profit from the beer you'd figure that they would stop making. I'm assuming the production cost per can is somewhere around 10 cents. Think about that before you buy this.

4.84/5  rDev +164.5%

To me its one of the best beers for its price.The Light is ok, and the ice beer has great taste but i get headaches after a few. It has great taste and is better served ice cold. Wish you could find it on tap more. But you can buy it at most super markets and gas stations around SC.

2.13/5  rDev +16.4%

12oz can
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It is a dismal pale yellow. I got the typical white, rocky, short-lived head.

S - I thought the first one had a skunky smell when poured. The second has more of the grain smell that I have become accustomed.

T - I taste some mild grain.

M - Thin

O - I am not as repulsed as I used to be. I'm more bored now.

1.63/5  rDev -10.9%

12 ozers in a suitcase, poured into a Styrofoam cup in my motel one by one. Took about 9 of these before i could swig down a swallow without making a clicking sound with my cheeks. Once i got past that though, it was all i thought it could be. Got me cross-eyed, piss in my roomies sock drawer drunk. Left me with a skull splitting hangover the next morning. Everything I remember from it in college is still true.

2.38/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Completely translucent pale gold color with a small white frothy head.

Aroma: Not good. Stale grains and approaching offensive territory. Not quite skunky per say, but definitely in that ball park. Also a sweet corn smell in the background.

Taste: There is a general sweetness to the palate that helps mask the skunky off-flavor that you get with cheap beers like this one. Yet another American Adjunct Lager that would be impossible to pick out in a line-up of other beers of this style.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly medium bodied but with lots of effervescence. Pretty crisp and refreshing in it's own right.

Final Thoughts: I have a hard time really slamming this beer too hard because it's basically just another average macro-lager. While not particularly enjoyable, this is just the usual Joe-Sixpack beer. I have no idea why anyone would choose to drink this more than once, but to each his own.

2.61/5  rDev +42.6%

12oz can best by oct '12 into pilsner glass

Look is an extremely clear pale yellow typical of the style, with a sticky white head. Smell is sweet corn, grain, cereal. Taste is cooked grain, rice, corn, slightly metallic. Feel is well carbonated, slightly watery, but with a slight malty thickness(for an adjunct lager, that is).

'The beast', as it's called, is very drinkable and very plain. No offensive sweetness or astringency to speak of. That being said, I consider this a dirty beer, as in you'll wake up feeling crappy the next day. Not bad for the price, I guess.

2.65/5  rDev +44.8%

Milwaukee’s Best Beer: Well, sometimes you need a break from oil-thick imperial stouts and blast your tongue away signature IPA’s, as great as they may be. Milwaukee’s Best is just that, beer as a beverage. The golden color, light carbonation and thin head let you know this is just beer. While not as pretty as a Salvation IPA from Avery, it looks more refreshing than a Coke or Mountain Dew. There is some aroma, which is a plus. Flavor combines light malt with a bit of hop bitterness at the finish. Overall, its beer as a beverage and no more. But as summer approaches, and it is time to shed the pounds that all of those stouts and IPA’s added over the winter, a spell of just drinking plain Jane beer is just what the doctor ordered.

3.54/5  rDev +93.4%

I didn't bother pouring this one out of the can in order to observe appearance. That was not how this beer was intended to be consumed. I DID decide to compare it side by side to my current favourite economy beer, Old Milwaukee. I've got to say, it's a pretty good super-economy beer. Nothing offensive about it whatsoever. Fairly dry and crisp with just a hint of corn (I like it when brewers don't try to hide corn flavour with something more offensive or when they just remove all flavour). It does not stack up to Old Milwaukee, though. Old Milwaukee has more taste and I think might even be cheaper. So, this may not be the best option and I may not buy it again, but it's definitely a better option than Busch, Lone Star, Keystone, etc. It's about on par with the average batch of the ultra-cheap Big Flats, but as my review of that beer indicates, the flavour of that beer is not consistent.

1.99/5  rDev +8.7%

For the sake of experimentation, I'm holding a little tasting of beers I happened to have but would never purchase myself.

This one is what's typically referred to as "straw yellow," pale and clear. It bubbles like crazy and never stops. The pure white head actually sits around a finger tall for a bit before dropping off, leaving a soapy foam and a smattering of spotty lacing. I've seen considerably worse.
The nose is an extremely faint corn husk and grains. There's practically nothing here, and what is certainly isn't very good.
It tastes like blandness. There's absolutely no point to this beer. Corn and grains come out faintly in the finish. Poorly made. At least there's nothing overtly offensive.
Light. Extremely light. Crisp. A little slick. Smoothish. The feel could certainly be worse.
It's pretty much what I expected.

2.68/5  rDev +46.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours the color of straw with a tall white head. Tiny bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom of the glass. The smell is mild. There are aromas of malt, corn, and some hops. The flavor is also mild. The malt, corn, and hop flavors are mild, but balanced. It is watery, but also grainy/gritty. The body is light. There is moderate carbonation. The finish is dry. The drinkability is fair. Overall, the Beast is the very definition of getting what you pay for. If you're on a budget, skip this and go with Old Milwaukee.

2.63/5  rDev +43.7%

24 oz can into a frosty mug.

A - Very light straw yellow body. Surprisingly a large and thick super soapy head formed.

S - Corn, grain. Sweet and simple. Nothing too offensive about it. If anything its inviting for an AAL.

T - Watery sweet corn water with some grainy and mineral qualities on the finish. Boring yet easy drinking. Watery mouth feel with high carbonation.

O - I can't beat up on this beer too much. For $1.20 you get an easy drinking beer thats low on flavor. Its not offensive, and its not too corny or overtly sweet. Much better than I thought it would be.

1.35/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Another college tick. Pours light golden with fluffy white head. Aroma of stale corn and straw, with some additional unpleasant funk. Flavor follows with light corn and a rather dirty finish to boot. Light body and high carbonation, but that's about all this has going for it. Avoid.

1.63/5  rDev -10.9%

A - Clear, pale gold. Two finger foamy white head, active carbonation bubbles abound

S - Cooked grain, corn, VERY faint hops. You really have to search for the aforementioned smells.

T - Sweet cooked grain / corn, metallic, sweet low end malt and a scant hop finish.

M - Watery, almost no body. Typical American Adjunct Lager over carbonation.

O - Yes, this is a cheap beer. Like most things you get what you pay for. I actually like the "Beast" more than the MGD I punished myself with the other day. This was the main beer we drank in college and it soothed many a pain post rugby games. Maybe I am just conditioned to its lack luster taste.

2.66/5  rDev +45.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Out of a 40 bottle (hey, this is Baltimore!) this beer was a clear golden color with one finger of super fluffy white head. The retention was good especially as a collar and it left consistent spots of lacing. The aroma was of corn, rice and faint malt. The flavors were mostly of corn and sweet malt as well as a little floral hops at the end. Simple but non-offensive and actually much better than most beers available in 40s. The mouthfeel was average albeit watery (standard for the style), the body medium/light and the carbonation medium.

2.01/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from 24oz can into a Pilsner glass.

Appearance: yellow hue which is neither a rich gold nor a pale straw; kind of artificial. Other than that, the beer's got good clarity, a good effervescence and a two-finger cap of off-white foam. Not too bad, for the style.

Smell: kind of a grainy aroma with an off-putting plasticy thing going on. Pretty mild, so it's not horribly offensive or anything.

Taste: light and mostly inoffensive. Somewhat grainy and watery; it's less offensive than the aroma. Still, not great overall, as there is pretty much nothing here.

Mouthfeel: almost nonexistent. Watery and quite unfulfilling. The carbonation is appropriate, though. Fizzy and somewhat refreshing.

Overall: this is not a very good beer, but I readily admit I have had much worse. Beast indeed, but not a complete abomination.

Milwaukee's Best Premium from Miller Brewing Co.