Milwaukee's Best Premium - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best PremiumMilwaukee's Best Premium

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Premium Alström Bros
1.3/5  rDev -28.6%

One night I had been drinking quite a bit but had run out of beer. I was in no condition to drive, but still had several hours in the night left to drink. So I walked down to the corner store and picked up a twelve pack o Milwuakee's Best for only six or seven dollars. I had never had the beast before and figured that night was as good a time as any to try it. I drank two cans before I crashed for the night and didn't think it tasted too bad. In the days to come, however; I came to find out otherwise. I never quite got through that twelve pack, ended up throwing at least three of the cans into the trash. Complete waste of six or seven dollars.

This beer has earned the name The Beast.

donteatpoop, Feb 22, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Pours light golden with active carbonation. White foam head that doesn't last. No lacing.
S - Smells of bread. Very light aroma.
T - Light body. Hint of bread and grain. No bitterness.
M - Watery. High carbonation. No bite.
D - Drank this in high school when we were broke or stole some from a friends old man. Only for the alcohol would you drink this. Not good.

TYE, Feb 21, 2008
2.15/5  rDev +18.1%

A: Extremely pale coming out of the can. Sloppy pour into a glass produced frothy bubbles but faded to nothing fast. I've seen Coca-cola with longer lasting head.

S: Nothing noteworthy. No discernible hops. No malts. No skunkiness. Nothing. Just a sort of "cheap beer" smell.

T: After experiencing the appearance and smell, I was a little surprised that the flavor profile didn't strictly follow the smell. There is actually a hint of sweetness that can be found through the shallow taste; not maltiness - just a minor sweetness. Not sure what it is.

M&D: Smooth - like water. Not much here. Nothing particularly attractive about this beer accept for the price - and then you still find yourself weighing the pros & cons.

SIRIUS2, Feb 19, 2008
1.9/5  rDev +4.4%

I had to laugh when I read reviews of this because I couldn't agree more - this is a college beer everyone should experience in their younger days. I laughed because I remember this and Beast Ice before turning 21 were staples in my college partying days. the regular Beast wasn't my preferred option because I wanted to get drunk, but it is a better beer. The smell is slightly more grainy and less metallic, and it has a smoother slide compared to the bitter Ice. That doesn't mean it is good or anything, in fact it is quite pungent also, but not too horrible. Probably one of the cheapest domestics you can get and for good reason.

clayrock81, Feb 12, 2008
1.95/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer is college.

A: Never saw it out of the can in a nice glass, it looks nice in a beer pong cup, and not so nice as the aftermath of too much on the sidewalk.
S: Horrible, skunked, stinks
T: Horrible, skunked, baddd aftertaste
M: The smell makes it feel horrible in your mouth
D: Just chug it.

Cheap beer... it should be cheaper.

nrpellegrini, Feb 05, 2008
2.17/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Truly one of the most pale beers I've reviewed. Active carbonation, but the bubbles rise more slowly, giving it a viscous appearance. Headless as a holiday hen, but I was genuinely surprised at the lace left behind. Gives it a fresh look at least.

No smell to speak of, and the little bit I catch is not pleasant. Not as viscous as it looks, but I will say there is more malt than I thought (5% is higher than 0%)

A little more taste than I expected with its pallid appearance. The little bit I get is not unbearable, and is a step or two above the taste. Otherwise watery and carbonated like sparking water.

Fitting beer to wash down hot wings, enter a drinking contest, or if you are on skid row and are allergic to grapes..

chiefydawg, Jan 17, 2008
1.93/5  rDev +6%

drank from a can of 12fl. oz

commercial beer, industrial, chimical blonde like all the others, no distinction among all, no interest for the beer lover exept to quentch thirst and to pollute whith the empty cans. bad beer but still it has its public

rodenbach99, Dec 26, 2007
1.15/5  rDev -36.8%

A - Pale gold and perfectly clear brew that is slightly less dull than other macro lagers, but otherwise pretty much par for the course. A small cap of white foam dissipates within a minute, leaving a thin collar and a small spattering of lace.

S - Light corn notes....corn tortilla chips. This is pretty much as scentless as a beer can be. It doesn't smell bad, it just doesn't smell at all.

T - Tangy rotten orange juice with an odd metallic flavor with lots of cooked corn and vegetable flavors. Their marketing slogan is "best tasting beer in America." Really? According to who?

M - It's super-carbonated and raspy in my throat like soda. Offensively over-carbonated.

D - I didn't actually mean to buy this beer. I thought that it was Old Milwaukee...which IMO is actually a pretty good beer for the rock-bottom price, and picked up a 12-pack. There are several cheapo beers that are decent PBR, Old Milwaukee, Stag, and Icehouse. This, however is nasty, so if you have to go the cheapo route, avoid this nasty sour rot-gut metallic beast at all costs.

pmcadamis, Oct 18, 2007
2.2/5  rDev +20.9%

12 ounce can from a friend's six pack that he bought at CVS Pharmacy in Redlands

Pour was a golden color with a huge foamy head, might have been because the cans were rolling all over the place on the way home

Smell was really weak and some oat and barley, but that's it

Taste was dry and a little rough to get down

Heaviness of the beer prevents you from being able to drink many of these

Floydster, Sep 30, 2007
2.63/5  rDev +44.5%

355 ml can. Bewwed under license by Molson.

A- Decebt white head. Good bubbliness. Clear pale yellow. Keeps a good ring of bubbles till the end.

S- Faint lemony hops. Pleasant but weak and ordinary.

T- Very little beer flavour. Like a light beer. Off aspartame-like aftertaste. Faint lemon flavour. Not even a hint of malt.

MF- Crisp, light bodied. A bit drying. Thirst quenching.

D- Refreshing. But so bland it seems pointless to pay for it. Hurt by slightly off cheap beer taste.

JOaikido, Sep 17, 2007
2.15/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Twelve pack of 12 ounce cans, on sale for $4.49 at Wal-Mart, purchased for boiling some Bratwurst prior to crisping them on the barbecue grill -- the brats, not the beer.

Consumed straight from the can, as such beverages should be -- you don't want to even see the urine-looking, headless fluid. Still, I poured some out just to check, and yes, it looks like urine, without only a briefly lasting head.

Smell is rice, skunk, corn, and a little cracker malt. The ingredients list includes hops, but I couldn't detect any.

Please drink this cold, because there's really not much taste at all. Nothing unpleasant, mind you, just nothing there. Neutral spirits and Alka-Seltzer would have more taste and more kick. Still, there's nothing bad here. Nothing really good either.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery.

Very drinkable, I suppose, for what it is. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the 12 pack, since it only takes three cans to boil the brats.

ColoradoBobs, Sep 01, 2007
2.8/5  rDev +53.8%

Milwaukee's Best pours a surprisingly golden body beneath a short head of creamy bright white foam that holds fairly well before dropping to a standard collar. Some minor lacing is left behind. The aroma is a fairly generic combination of malt and non-descript hops. It's medium-light in body and quite crisp in the mouth. The flavor is as the aroma suggests. It's basic but clean. There's some bitterness to it, but not much is really needed as there's not really that much malt. It finishes with a dull residue of malt left behind in the mouth.

NeroFiddled, Jul 08, 2007
1.55/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

yuck. not for me. this is a surprize cuz i drink a lot of the Beast Ice. they taste nothing alike.

this one and the "light" version (can it get any lighter? oh yea, just add water.) should be passed on unless it is this or nothing.

not recomended for true beer drinkers.

cept it is CHEAP.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

giblet, Jul 02, 2007
1.45/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Someone recently left a can of this in my fridge so I figured what the heck. This beer pours a clear light yellows/golden color. The head is nothing special as it settles very quickly to a thin surface layer. It has a thin ring lining the inside of the glass. Leaves little lacing. Has a sort of skunked, tinny aroma. Maybe with a slight bit of malts and corn adjunct. Taste is somewhat malty sweet with some corn. No hops detectable whatsoever to this palate. Has a crisp but disgusting mouthfeel, like drinking stale seltzer water or something. Leaves a nasty coat in the mouth. It goes down easy, but does not drink at all like a good beer should. Terrible!

Eric

neenerzig, Jun 30, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +15.4%

Milwaukee's Best pours a pale yellow with a white head from a twelve ounce can. Nasty aroma, some of these sub premium macros really have kind of a chemical aroma. Flavors seem kind of raw or harsh. Corn is the predominant taste. Drink it cold and drink it quick if you plan on drinking this one, by the time it warmed up it was truly nasty. I think you are risking a bad hangover drinking even a little bit of this stuff.

Drew966, Jun 28, 2007

There is not a lot to say about this beer that is good, not for me anyway.

The beer is a very very light gold colour that is reminiscent of American lagers.

There is no discernable smell to speak of nor is there any discernable taste.

The mouthfeel is very watery with few hints of any carbonation. Overall this is not a beer that I would try again, nor is it a beer that I would recommend to others.

This beer led to my worst beer experience ever. I was given this at a bar in Memphis Tennessee. It was clear enough that I could read the newspaper through the full glass. No aroma to speak of, and very little flavour. I asked the waitress what it was. She replied, It's 'Milwaukee's Best'. I replied that if that was Milwaukee's best, I would hate to taste their worst. I was promptly asked to leave the bar.

cyrenaica, Jun 25, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +81.3%

Container claims "carefully brewed from the finest quality malted barley selected grains and choicest hops". Okay, but how does it taste?
Sour malt aroma typical of style. A bit stronger than many. Slight sweet water and a mild hop presence in time. Typical overall.
Big full white very fizzy head that leaves in no time showing a smattering thin layer of bubbles. Water clear. Gold yellow.
Approaching flavorless. Amazing it's not a light beer. A little sweetness up front that's good enough. Very mild and well blended bitterness. Moderate dryness in the finish. Sourness is muted. Adjunct appears in time and strengthens as warms, but so far doesn't present a strong corn flavor.
Fully carbonated, but not necessarily overly filling (yet a little so). Some smoothness, considering the bubbles. Moderately thirst quenching. Not water thin.
This is better than I anticipated. There are far worse beers out there than this. Well worth the $0.25 I paid for it . One is enough, but I don't feel dirty for drinking it.

garymuchow, Jun 21, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +51.1%

Coming originally from Wisconsin I feel compelled to remain patriotic when it comes to Wisconsin Beers. This beer, to me, is not Wisconsins (or Milwaukees)best. Leinenkugals, New Glarus and Capitol Breweries is where you want to go to find the true quality wisconsin beers. But I cannot deny I dont mind "THE BEAST". If you are a Budweiser, Bud Lite or Miller drinker, get some Beast because there isn't much of a difference.

A - Normal Yellowish Color, like Bud.

S - Try getting a 40 and pouring into cold glass, it smells much better than from a can

T - Same as above. If its not cold you will not like it. Tastes much like a normal macro when ice cold, nothing new.

M - Much like Budweiser. Much better than Bud Light.

D - When Ice cold they go down like nothing.

Like I said the Beast is only good for a cheap substitute. Do not expect to experience much, and if your beer is Guiness, you will hate it. Do not drink quality beer before drinking this.

Beerman420, Apr 03, 2007

Affordable...

Appearence: An unimpressive pale-sick yellow with a quickly fading head.

Smell: Smells like mildewy corn flakes.

Taste: Has a cornflake taste leaving some sort of remnant in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: Has an average bubbly seltzer like mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Not really too chugable, quite bubbly, but it's an average American Macro from the Miller brewing company.

If your need a good thirty and only have 10-15 this is perfect for you. This is just what the average fake-beer drinker would pick up on a regular basis.

xtremejammn, Apr 01, 2007

a: a hazy golden color with about a half inch of white head that dissapears fast leaving little lacing
s: kinda smells a little musty, strange malt aroma
t: really watery up front followed by a bitter adjunct flavor not too bad for a macro
m: watery lots of carbonation very filling

overall this beer isnt that bad for a macro, it should be served ice cold kind of a little refreshing then

happygnome, Mar 21, 2007
1.1/5  rDev -39.6%

The Beast was the first Beer I ever had. My friend and I were temporarily living in the ghetto with an alcoholic guy who charged us $100 rent, and blew all our cash on beer (at the expense of electricity). Seeing as this was back in 1999 and I haven't had a Beast since, I can't remember much about it, except that it was horrid and smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability are definately a 1 out of 5. (Trust me, that I do remember.) I remember it smelling like some sort of chemical like gasoline when I cracked it open, and as I was a naive kid with my first brew I figured that's what all beer must smell like. I remember forcing it down, trying to hide the disgust on my face, so everyone would think I was "cool," unknowing that if my alcoholic roommate would merely upgrade to Icehouse or Budweiser I could actually enjoy myself and not have to hide how repulsed I was.

A few days later I talked him into buying us some Budweiser, and I thought it was the best beer in the world. I guess compared to the beast, Bud isn't all that bad.

liquidnoise, Nov 20, 2006
2.17/5  rDev +19.2%

Poors an expected thick hazy golden color from 12 oz can. Smells of cooked cereals and has a chalky taste of cooked corn. It feels pretty heavy on the palate, almost too heavy compared to its peers, it feels and tastes like there are more ingredients than most macro's. Aftertaste remains the same with a slight hoppy bitterness.

All and all an average cheap macro, not too bad if you're looking for flavor from something cheap. For a similiar price I would choose PBR or Schlitz hands down.

Adamthome1, Nov 01, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +95.1%

I don't know what all the negativism is all about. This beer fits like a glove for a weekend of drinking at the hunting shack. It is very economical and provides refreshment for all. There is always an anti-Milwaukee's Best fan in the crowd but in the end, they will end up drinking it as well.

Below average appearance and slight overcarbonation is the only real drawback to the "Beast". There's a filling taste and midly hoppy aroma to back it up.

Don't be fooled, this beer has also won awards. Drink up.

Saunapoika, Oct 24, 2006
2.68/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I hadn't had this one in years, and couldn't resist the 4.99 12 pack price. The nose is cereal grain/ corn with a whiff of the inside of somebody's pickup truck I once got a lift in. Ditto on the flavor. Thin and watery, it goes down easily, but without any satisfaction. What little finish there was served to inform me that now I had become that old pickup truck I had once ridden in. There is still more in the fridge, so I will have to push on through.

dedrinker, Oct 23, 2006
2.13/5  rDev +17%

12oz can

Milwaukee's Best was a very clear light pale golden color with a white head. The head was of decent size to start with, but almost immediatly dissapeared, leaving no lace. The aroma was grainy. The taste was sweet and grainy with a dry finish. The mouthfeel was crisp and light with high carbonation. Drinkability is below average. Overall it is a crappy beer that should be avoided.

afinepilsner, Oct 06, 2006
Milwaukee's Best Premium from Miller Brewing Co.