Milwaukee's Best Premium - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best PremiumMilwaukee's Best Premium

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Premium Alström Bros
2.8/5  rDev +53.8%

Milwaukee's Best pours a surprisingly golden body beneath a short head of creamy bright white foam that holds fairly well before dropping to a standard collar. Some minor lacing is left behind. The aroma is a fairly generic combination of malt and non-descript hops. It's medium-light in body and quite crisp in the mouth. The flavor is as the aroma suggests. It's basic but clean. There's some bitterness to it, but not much is really needed as there's not really that much malt. It finishes with a dull residue of malt left behind in the mouth.

NeroFiddled, Jul 08, 2007
1.55/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

yuck. not for me. this is a surprize cuz i drink a lot of the Beast Ice. they taste nothing alike.

this one and the "light" version (can it get any lighter? oh yea, just add water.) should be passed on unless it is this or nothing.

not recomended for true beer drinkers.

cept it is CHEAP.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

giblet, Jul 02, 2007
1.45/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Someone recently left a can of this in my fridge so I figured what the heck. This beer pours a clear light yellows/golden color. The head is nothing special as it settles very quickly to a thin surface layer. It has a thin ring lining the inside of the glass. Leaves little lacing. Has a sort of skunked, tinny aroma. Maybe with a slight bit of malts and corn adjunct. Taste is somewhat malty sweet with some corn. No hops detectable whatsoever to this palate. Has a crisp but disgusting mouthfeel, like drinking stale seltzer water or something. Leaves a nasty coat in the mouth. It goes down easy, but does not drink at all like a good beer should. Terrible!

Eric

neenerzig, Jun 30, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +15.4%

Milwaukee's Best pours a pale yellow with a white head from a twelve ounce can. Nasty aroma, some of these sub premium macros really have kind of a chemical aroma. Flavors seem kind of raw or harsh. Corn is the predominant taste. Drink it cold and drink it quick if you plan on drinking this one, by the time it warmed up it was truly nasty. I think you are risking a bad hangover drinking even a little bit of this stuff.

Drew966, Jun 28, 2007

There is not a lot to say about this beer that is good, not for me anyway.

The beer is a very very light gold colour that is reminiscent of American lagers.

There is no discernable smell to speak of nor is there any discernable taste.

The mouthfeel is very watery with few hints of any carbonation. Overall this is not a beer that I would try again, nor is it a beer that I would recommend to others.

This beer led to my worst beer experience ever. I was given this at a bar in Memphis Tennessee. It was clear enough that I could read the newspaper through the full glass. No aroma to speak of, and very little flavour. I asked the waitress what it was. She replied, It's 'Milwaukee's Best'. I replied that if that was Milwaukee's best, I would hate to taste their worst. I was promptly asked to leave the bar.

cyrenaica, Jun 25, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +81.3%

Container claims "carefully brewed from the finest quality malted barley selected grains and choicest hops". Okay, but how does it taste?
Sour malt aroma typical of style. A bit stronger than many. Slight sweet water and a mild hop presence in time. Typical overall.
Big full white very fizzy head that leaves in no time showing a smattering thin layer of bubbles. Water clear. Gold yellow.
Approaching flavorless. Amazing it's not a light beer. A little sweetness up front that's good enough. Very mild and well blended bitterness. Moderate dryness in the finish. Sourness is muted. Adjunct appears in time and strengthens as warms, but so far doesn't present a strong corn flavor.
Fully carbonated, but not necessarily overly filling (yet a little so). Some smoothness, considering the bubbles. Moderately thirst quenching. Not water thin.
This is better than I anticipated. There are far worse beers out there than this. Well worth the $0.25 I paid for it . One is enough, but I don't feel dirty for drinking it.

garymuchow, Jun 21, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +51.1%

Coming originally from Wisconsin I feel compelled to remain patriotic when it comes to Wisconsin Beers. This beer, to me, is not Wisconsins (or Milwaukees)best. Leinenkugals, New Glarus and Capitol Breweries is where you want to go to find the true quality wisconsin beers. But I cannot deny I dont mind "THE BEAST". If you are a Budweiser, Bud Lite or Miller drinker, get some Beast because there isn't much of a difference.

A - Normal Yellowish Color, like Bud.

S - Try getting a 40 and pouring into cold glass, it smells much better than from a can

T - Same as above. If its not cold you will not like it. Tastes much like a normal macro when ice cold, nothing new.

M - Much like Budweiser. Much better than Bud Light.

D - When Ice cold they go down like nothing.

Like I said the Beast is only good for a cheap substitute. Do not expect to experience much, and if your beer is Guiness, you will hate it. Do not drink quality beer before drinking this.

Beerman420, Apr 03, 2007

Affordable...

Appearence: An unimpressive pale-sick yellow with a quickly fading head.

Smell: Smells like mildewy corn flakes.

Taste: Has a cornflake taste leaving some sort of remnant in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: Has an average bubbly seltzer like mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Not really too chugable, quite bubbly, but it's an average American Macro from the Miller brewing company.

If your need a good thirty and only have 10-15 this is perfect for you. This is just what the average fake-beer drinker would pick up on a regular basis.

xtremejammn, Apr 01, 2007

a: a hazy golden color with about a half inch of white head that dissapears fast leaving little lacing
s: kinda smells a little musty, strange malt aroma
t: really watery up front followed by a bitter adjunct flavor not too bad for a macro
m: watery lots of carbonation very filling

overall this beer isnt that bad for a macro, it should be served ice cold kind of a little refreshing then

happygnome, Mar 21, 2007
1.1/5  rDev -39.6%

The Beast was the first Beer I ever had. My friend and I were temporarily living in the ghetto with an alcoholic guy who charged us $100 rent, and blew all our cash on beer (at the expense of electricity). Seeing as this was back in 1999 and I haven't had a Beast since, I can't remember much about it, except that it was horrid and smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability are definately a 1 out of 5. (Trust me, that I do remember.) I remember it smelling like some sort of chemical like gasoline when I cracked it open, and as I was a naive kid with my first brew I figured that's what all beer must smell like. I remember forcing it down, trying to hide the disgust on my face, so everyone would think I was "cool," unknowing that if my alcoholic roommate would merely upgrade to Icehouse or Budweiser I could actually enjoy myself and not have to hide how repulsed I was.

A few days later I talked him into buying us some Budweiser, and I thought it was the best beer in the world. I guess compared to the beast, Bud isn't all that bad.

liquidnoise, Nov 20, 2006
2.17/5  rDev +19.2%

Poors an expected thick hazy golden color from 12 oz can. Smells of cooked cereals and has a chalky taste of cooked corn. It feels pretty heavy on the palate, almost too heavy compared to its peers, it feels and tastes like there are more ingredients than most macro's. Aftertaste remains the same with a slight hoppy bitterness.

All and all an average cheap macro, not too bad if you're looking for flavor from something cheap. For a similiar price I would choose PBR or Schlitz hands down.

Adamthome1, Nov 01, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +95.1%

I don't know what all the negativism is all about. This beer fits like a glove for a weekend of drinking at the hunting shack. It is very economical and provides refreshment for all. There is always an anti-Milwaukee's Best fan in the crowd but in the end, they will end up drinking it as well.

Below average appearance and slight overcarbonation is the only real drawback to the "Beast". There's a filling taste and midly hoppy aroma to back it up.

Don't be fooled, this beer has also won awards. Drink up.

Saunapoika, Oct 24, 2006
2.68/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I hadn't had this one in years, and couldn't resist the 4.99 12 pack price. The nose is cereal grain/ corn with a whiff of the inside of somebody's pickup truck I once got a lift in. Ditto on the flavor. Thin and watery, it goes down easily, but without any satisfaction. What little finish there was served to inform me that now I had become that old pickup truck I had once ridden in. There is still more in the fridge, so I will have to push on through.

dedrinker, Oct 23, 2006
2.13/5  rDev +17%

12oz can

Milwaukee's Best was a very clear light pale golden color with a white head. The head was of decent size to start with, but almost immediatly dissapeared, leaving no lace. The aroma was grainy. The taste was sweet and grainy with a dry finish. The mouthfeel was crisp and light with high carbonation. Drinkability is below average. Overall it is a crappy beer that should be avoided.

afinepilsner, Oct 06, 2006
1.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Well, I guess it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Though, this is a beer best drunk straight from the can. Pours a pale yellow, with very little head. What is there slowly disipates to a thin film. Pungent smell. Overcooked veggies, corn, and corn syrup. Pretty much, adjunct ridden scent. Taste is a bit better. Well, their is hardly any taste to be offended at. A bit of an artificial sweetness. An almost sour bitterness. Not impressed, but not overly horrid. Mouthfeel is a bit dry and almost salty. Drinkable? Well... I have had far, far worse than this. Would I want to drink it again? Hell no. But, if offered to me, in a can, at temperatures at almost absolute zero, I might not refuse.

slitherySOB, Oct 03, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +91.2%

App: It has a pretty decnet head which goes to piss bubbles after some time but pretty decent ones at that. The color is a pale straw.

Smell: There's a mild,sweet smell with a hint of bitter.

Taste: Grain: it's a little more sweet than most cheap beers which is probably part of the fact that's it's owned by Miller.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty thin. It leaves a residue on the tongue.

Drinkability: It's a no brainer. It's just a good beer for relaxing and not thinking about it but rather hanging out with your friends.

CaskofFlyingDog, Sep 27, 2006
1.93/5  rDev +6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Yet another 40oz budget beer, sure why not. Pale yellow pour with a head that disappears quickly. Smells very faintly like corn syrup. Tastes a weak corn syrup flavor, slight citrus bitterness. Thin mouthfeel. Overall it's a cheap beer for a cheap buzz if that is what your looking for. Otherwise go elsewhere.

Manosbeeroffate, Aug 11, 2006
2.58/5  rDev +41.8%

I was helping Wcudwight paint and we sent my wife out with the instructions to bring back 12 of whatever was the cheapest. This was the winner only because they were out of PBR. Like any other macro, it smelled like a mash tub at a moonshine still. The color was light straw and little head. The taste was bearable cold. Mouthfeel was average for the style. Cold this beer really hit the spot when I was hot as hell. Not a beer to drink by a fireplace with snow on the ground. But a summertime work beer it is.

Enola, Jul 05, 2006
2.63/5  rDev +44.5%

I was painting my basement and needed a beer to work with. Hence "The Beast" was called. This was also my go to beer in highschool(because I could afford it), and I have not had it since I've been of age; so I stashed one away to review.
PALE straw color, almost a clear yellow. Decent highly carbonated head that disappears faster than a pair of rims at a Puff Daddy concert. Smells of canned corn, straw, and whole grain cereal. Some people might like that smell, I'm not one of them.
Taste is somewhat malty sweet, wet straw, and alcohol. How can I taste the alcohol in a 4.5% beer? Feels like water in the mouth.
It's drinkable when cold, unbearable when as it warms.
Overall The Beast has it's place in the world of beerdom.

wcudwight, Jul 03, 2006
2.3/5  rDev +26.4%

Poured a pale, clear yellow with a nice thick, foamy head. Aroma was faint malt with some hops and adjuncts. Not a whole lot of smell, really. Flavor was corn and malt. Light body with not much hop flavor or bitterness. Well balanced, but that was because there wasn't a whole lot of hops or malt. Had a bit of aftertaste. Not much mouthfeel other than it was watery. Not particularly drinkable, but not all that awful either.

Typical cheap beer. There are better choices in the category of inexpensive American lagers.

shererjt, May 26, 2006
1.68/5  rDev -7.7%

I got handed a can of this recently at some hip L.E.S. event. I couldn't resist...

First off, there were no glasses, so I'm judging appearance by the thin stream I'm pouring out on the ground...nope. Looks like maize-colored water. It smells like ... can. I honestly can't smell anything. Just to test...yep I can smell my armpit, my nose is working [heh, this deodorant is still holding out well after a whole day. Should go buy some more of this.]

Taste is ... salty [you thought I was going to lick my armpit too for comparison? Sorry to disappoint. Actually, it might not have been a bad comparison.] There's a light sweetness too, like watery corn mash and dull hops. A bit peppery, no aftertaste at least. Goes down easy despite the badness, but why am I drinking this? After these few sips I want to throw it away, but people might see me, and it was free...am I being a jerk if I toss it? Who cares. Hey, they have Rolling Rock too, after the best Milwaukee has to offer (tm) this doesn't sound so bad...

PopeJonPaul, Apr 21, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +111.5%

Beast is not as bad as people think it is. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it has to be bad. I enjoy the taste of Milwaukee's best, but hate that my friends are always giving me crap about drinking it. It tastes similar to MGD just not as smooth. It's really not a bad beer. It has a good color for a lager. I laugh when i see people say this color is pale like it's a bad thing. Lagers are supposed to have a pale color, look for richness :). I would pay more than I do for a beer of this quality. Not that it's the best beer, but for what it's trying to be, it is excellent.

jasonjlewis, Apr 11, 2006
1.6/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A glass poured from a 40 oz bottle:

A pale yellow beer with a head that disappears almost immediately. It has big bubbles of carbonation.

It has a sharp, unplesant odor.

The taste is coarse and reminds me of chewing on wet paper. Behind the wet paper taste there is an almost cloying sweetness. Not very appealing.

The mouthfeel is slick. The beer seems to have lost its carbonation very quickly giving it a very watery body.

The drinkability of this cheapo beer is pretty low. High Life is almost the same price, and tastes ten times better. This stuff isn't even worth the $1.59 I paid for it.

maggotbrain, Mar 04, 2006
2.95/5  rDev +62.1%

A - Clear straw, big head that falls fast with no lacing. Can says "33% more". Woo. Lots of bubbling - looks lively.

S - Clean nose with some grain and I think I smell some hops. Maybe some faint citrus.

T - Nope. Seriously though, there's a touch of bitterness and lemon.

M - Thin of course, as expected. Dry with a crisp biting carbonation that leaves quickly. Slightly astringent.

D - Not bad actually. Much better than I expected. Not a tasty beer by any means mind you, but there aren't a lot of off flavours or anything.

allergictomacros, Feb 24, 2006
1.63/5  rDev -10.4%

I'm embarrassed to admit, but this is the beer that started it all for me. During my high school years this was the beer of choice for me and my friends. $1.99 for a six pack and a package store that didn't bother to card 16 and 17 year olds was heaven for us back in the mid-80's. I decided to try this for the first time in many years and try to capture some of that nostalgia. The beer poured a very pale yellow color with a large head that went away quickly. I purposely gave it a vigorous pour. Smell was of corn, vegetable matter and adjuncts. Pretty lousy. Taste was equally lousy, very watery with no body or flavor other than a strong adjunct(veggie?) taste. No hop flavor detected and I could barely taste any trace of malt. How did I stomach this stuff for so many years and in so much quantity? Never again! Lord help me!

rodrot, Feb 21, 2006
Milwaukee's Best Premium from Miller Brewing Co.